• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

From Melee To Ultimate - My Link In 2 Weeks

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqz0jKZ6YYg

Hey everyone. I'm kind of new to the Smash community. I was introduced to Smashboards by a buddy of mine who was here a couple weeks ago at my house posting on this site. I have never really competed before or anything, and I want to get to the point that I feel confident enough to do so. I'm very unsocial and nervous around people in general but I think I could maybe make friends through engaging people in person and on a broader community. Putting that aside, onto the main point.

I have played Melee pretty much since its release and played a lot of Fox and Falco. I didn't really play other versions of Smash much because I wasn't as into them. So recently, about a month ago, I was given Smash Ultimate and a Switch. 2 weeks ago, I started playing Link after dabbling around with Cloud and Marth. Link sort of stuck to me. Something about how you can play with the bomb and how you have to work them fingers sort of gave me that shine tech feel I had playing Melee with Fox and Falco. So Link grew on me and I decided to stick with him a couple weeks and see what happened. Keep in mind, new player to Ultimate with little to no matchup experience and no competitive history. I want genuine opinions on my video if you make it through it. I hope you like it. If you think I'm ready or not ready to maybe try my first tournament, if you don't mind, could ya' let me know in a reply your reasons why? If you have feedback or advice about video making, or things I can do with Link or any advice on anything smash related really... I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
great gameplay! you seem to have edgeguarding and bomb junk down very nicely. the only thing i'm curious about is how comfortable you are playing neutral, but otherwise i feel it'd be smart to look into tournaments!

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
great gameplay! you seem to have edgeguarding and bomb junk down very nicely. the only thing i'm curious about is how comfortable you are playing neutral, but otherwise i feel it'd be smart to look into tournaments!
I actually have a lot to say considering you bring up neutral. It's very complicated for me. Some days it's really insane, like I run a train on a hundred different names in the online arenas. Other days, it's extremely poor. It's not because I'm inconsistently skilled or anything but actually due to 2 things. 1, I play on a broken controller and can't really afford a new one being poor. 2, I have degenerating bones in my thumbs and wrists. Some days I go through so much pain playing the game that I have to walk away from it, but I'm trying to cope with it and adapt, kind of acclimate my body to the pain so I can just ignore it and continue playing. It also depends on what characters I'm fighting and on what stages. I find that I am decent at neutral, or good enough I should say. My strength is in edge guards tho. I'll literally edge guard anything and if I can't, I'll at minimum harass people offstage repeatedly, that includes things like Rob's, Pit's, Teleporters like Mew2 and Palutenas, King Ks, DDDs. If it's offstage, chances are, I'm offstage with it, and tossing out several nairs or arrows in the process, if I'm not carrying a bomb to do zdrop bomb nair into bombthrow to catch double jumps.
I think personally I could improve my neutral of course, and my combo game could use a little work, but those aren't such big issues. I think my main problem is matchup knowledge being brand new to the game. Thank you for leaving a reply tho. I see that not a lot of people tend to care to say anything really so I appreciate it. I'll try to find an East Coast tournament near Baltimore if I can find one.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
Do Cloud next. Your cloud is savage. I saw you steal that Inkling stock 5 seconds into the match lololol

Hey everyone. I'm kind of new to the Smash community. I was introduced to Smashboards by a buddy of mine who was here a couple weeks ago at my house posting on this site. I have never really competed before or anything, and I want to get to the point that I feel confident enough to do so. I'm very unsocial and nervous around people in general but I think I could maybe make friends through engaging people in person and on a broader community. Putting that aside, onto the main point.

I have played Melee pretty much since its release and played a lot of Fox and Falco. I didn't really play other versions of Smash much because I wasn't as into them. So recently, about a month ago, I was given Smash Ultimate and a Switch. 2 weeks ago, I started playing Link after dabbling around with Cloud and Marth. Link sort of stuck to me. Something about how you can play with the bomb and how you have to work them fingers sort of gave me that shine tech feel I had playing Melee with Fox and Falco. So Link grew on me and I decided to stick with him a couple weeks and see what happened. Keep in mind, new player to Ultimate with little to no matchup experience and no competitive history. I want genuine opinions on my video if you make it through it. I hope you like it. If you think I'm ready or not ready to maybe try my first tournament, if you don't mind, could ya' let me know in a reply your reasons why? If you have feedback or advice about video making, or things I can do with Link or any advice on anything smash related really... I would appreciate it.
You're very skilled, your offstage capabilities are quite impressive. I can't say for sure if you're ready for your first tournament but i'm fairly sure you should at least give it a try. I mean if you learned this much with Link in a 2 weeks timeframe (by playing online, i assume) then chances are you could learn a a great deal by participating to a local event.

Sadly i can't really help you with your Link since you seem to master the character way more than i do. Also, your video is very well done, the editing is perfect imo. You should consider sharing it in the Link Meta Thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/the-hero-of-the-wild-smash-ultimate-link-metagame-thread.465374/

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
You're very skilled, your offstage capabilities are quite impressive. I can't say for sure if you're ready for your first tournament but i'm fairly sure you should at least give it a try. I mean if you learned this much with Link in a 2 weeks timeframe (by playing online, i assume) then chances are you could learn a a great deal by participating to a local event.
I made the post there as you suggested. Yeah, I made that video almost a week ago, so I have 3 weeks under my belt and both neutral game and punish game have improved greatly. I can much easier get people off the stage now during neutral and given that edgeguarding is my bread and butter skill in this game, it usually means I get to take a stock. I've been improving Z drop bomb combos too. I hope to find a tournament in the Baltimore area sometime soon, local or major, doesn't matter. It's just that I haven't seen any. Thank you very much for your feedback tho. I intend on uploading more content very soon with the hopes of being a regular A grade content creator for the Smash Ultimate community. I think this game will get more hype over time and that a lot has not been explored in the mechanics yet. Thanks again!!

AlizeZaide

Smash Rookie

Best Link I've seen in a while. Ily hubby

Top Bottom