• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Friends being fought for!" Ike General Discussion

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
PoR is really good. I played it after Awakening. I'd say its story is a lot better than Awakening, imo, but the characters and content in awakening are great enough to get you replaying the game several times.

D

Deleted member 269706

I feel like PoR had better potential for a story, but didn't execute it very well. It was too centered around Ike and Soren, you barely learned anything about any of the other (arguably more interesting) characters. Awakening had a much better execution, you almost forget that Chrom is a leader, he just feels like another character which is how I think it should be. I think when you look at the grand scheme of things though, Awakening was a better game overall.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
That's weird because I feel it was the other way around. With PoR I actually felt how Ike was getting stronger and how he matured. We were also aware of who the evil person was, and we got to see how strong the Black Knight is, which I feel was pulled off better than with Walhart in Awakening.
Also, the conflict between the beorc seemed like something that would actually happen in real life, and it made me feel more involved.

I do agree, though, on how Awakening had more character involvement and you get to learn a lot about them. The pairing + kid system is great.

LionMagnus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lion_Leon
3DS FC
0576-4919-6815
Okay. I've never played a FE game before, so I choose this one. After I beat it, I'll try it at a more difficult level.

Is there any good ways to earn gold?
If you have a little money to spare I recommand getting the exp and money grinding dlc maps. It will save you a lot of time.

cron0

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cronoestar
I had previously borrowed Awakening but had to give it back before i could beat it. Bought it today and I'm determined to a. Play it on a harder difficulty and b. Get chrom with olivia

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So I got both the Mast & Second Seal and I'm thinking of making my Avatar a Swordmaster, some can use the Astra Skill. However, I also want him to be strong defensively. Any advice?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
The best defensive skills are probably the Breakers, e.g., Swordbreaker, Axebreaker, Lancebreaker, etc., and Sol.

With 5 skill slots, you're not always going to be able to do everything you want to do. Mixing Sol with purely offensive skills like Luna and Astra can lead to some disappointing situations, since sometimes you will get Sol when at full health, and will not get it when you need it. It amps up the gambling factor. I prefer to keep Sol off of characters with Luna or Astra. Aether goes with anything, since it is both defensive and offensive.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
The best defensive skills are probably the Breakers, e.g., Swordbreaker, Axebreaker, Lancebreaker, etc., and Sol.

With 5 skill slots, you're not always going to be able to do everything you want to do. Mixing Sol with purely offensive skills like Luna and Astra can lead to some disappointing situations, since sometimes you will get Sol when at full health, and will not get it when you need it. It amps up the gambling factor. I prefer to keep Sol off of characters with Luna or Astra. Aether goes with anything, since it is both defensive and offensive.
Can you run Aether on the avatar though? I though it was Lords only.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Aether is Lords only.

If you want your MU to be good defensively, I suggest picking up Aegis (Paladin lv.15) and Pavise (General lv.15) as well as considering Renewal (War Monk/Cleric lv.15), the latter which heals 30% of your HP at the beginning of every player phase.

Assuming you have at least Pavise, Aegis, and Astra on a defensive Swordmaster, the rest is kinda up to you. Armsthrift is a great skill to preserve weapon condition, Swordfaire to give extra "oomph" to your attacks, Vantage for more offensive flexibility, The -Breaker skills for defensive flexibility...Awakening has a lot of options, that's for sure.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Aether is Lords only.

If you want your MU to be good defensively, I suggest picking up Aegis (Paladin lv.15) and Pavise (General lv.15) as well as considering Renewal (War Monk/Cleric lv.15), the latter which heals 30% of your HP at the beginning of every player phase.

Assuming you have at least Pavise, Aegis, and Astra on a defensive Swordmaster, the rest is kinda up to you. Armsthrift is a great skill to preserve weapon condition, Swordfaire to give extra "oomph" to your attacks, Vantage for more offensive flexibility, The -Breaker skills for defensive flexibility...Awakening has a lot of options, that's for sure.
Thanks for the advice, but how do I get all these skills?

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
EXPonential Growth and Golden Gaffe, respectively. I'd hold off on actually using them unless you really, desperately need to though. They're mostly used for the higher difficulty levels (particularly Lunatic+), where min-maxing characters has some relevance. If you grind DLC at lower difficulties then you'll just remove all the challenge.

Also hi! Don't think I've posted in here before. Avatar feels extra appropriate here.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
EXPonential Growth and Golden Gaffe, respectively. I'd hold off on actually using them unless you really, desperately need to though. They're mostly used for the higher difficulty levels (particularly Lunatic+), where min-maxing characters has some relevance. If you grind DLC at lower difficulties then you'll just remove all the challenge.

Also hi! Don't think I've posted in here before. Avatar feels extra appropriate here.
Okay. Again, first FE game. I actually lost a level (Chapter 11). I would never survive on Classic.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
That's fine. Take your time, get a feel for the game. That includes getting used to losing every so often. Mistakes happen, RNG happens, people die. Learn from it, figure out what you can do about it.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I really like the feel of the game. I'll probably play Classic once I really know what I'm doing. I've never played a game this challenging or intricate, and it's refreshing.

D

Deleted member 269706

That's weird because I feel it was the other way around. With PoR I actually felt how Ike was getting stronger and how he matured. We were also aware of who the evil person was, and we got to see how strong the Black Knight is, which I feel was pulled off better than with Walhart in Awakening.
Also, the conflict between the beorc seemed like something that would actually happen in real life, and it made me feel more involved.

I do agree, though, on how Awakening had more character involvement and you get to learn a lot about them. The pairing + kid system is great.
***SPOILERS MAY BE EVIDENT***

You bring up some good points. I think that the laguz and human conflict brought up some amazing themes about discrimination and the meaninglessness of hate. In that aspect, PoR and RD were better games because I don't think Awakening had anything quite as symbolic or metaphorical to take away from it. I mean, I love the idea of changing the future, but there was no clever delivery of the theme, it was straight up, which is just as respectable just not as admirable.

And yeah, you do get to watch Ike grow up and mature, but I think we see something similar happen to Chrom in Awakening when he meets his daughter. I feel like we see his attitude change a little bit, because now he really feels like he has to fight for her. Hell, we see a lot of characters make sacrifices throughout the story and go through a different kind of maturation. Not so much in the traditional sense, but like when we see Lucina "accept Chrom's fate" when she lets Robin live, knowing that s/he is the reason Chrom (is supposed to) lose his life. Or when Yarne (best character evar) come to terms with the fact that he's the last Taguel and he shouldn't live the life of a coward. Or even Lon'qu getting over his fear of women. It's true that Ike's maturation is much more in depth and such, but that's really the only real change we see (aside from Soren and maybe Sothe). I just feel like I barely knew anything about the soldiers fighting alongside him. I would've loved to find out more about Geoffrey, Haar, Jill, Tauroneo, Zihark and so many others. I feel like after two games, I should be able to tell you more about those characters than just their name, class, nationality and hair color... Don't get me wrong, the story was great and these characters did help build it, but I love learning more about the characters in these games, and there was not a lot to learn about them. I personally would argue that the little support conversations that help you understand the characters are just as important as the overall plot, which is why I have a hard time appreciating PoR and RD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
***SPOILERS MAY BE EVIDENT***

You bring up some good points. I think that the laguz and human conflict brought up some amazing themes about discrimination and the meaninglessness of hate. In that aspect, PoR and RD were better games because I don't think Awakening had anything quite as symbolic or metaphorical to take away from it. I mean, I love the idea of changing the future, but there was no clever delivery of the theme, it was straight up, which is just as respectable just not as admirable.

And yeah, you do get to watch Ike grow up and mature, but I think we see something similar happen to Chrom in Awakening when he meets his daughter. I feel like we see his attitude change a little bit, because now he really feels like he has to fight for her. Hell, we see a lot of characters make sacrifices throughout the story and go through a different kind of maturation. Not so much in the traditional sense, but like when we see Lucina "accept Chrom's fate" when she lets Robin live, knowing that s/he is the reason Chrom (is supposed to) lose his life. Or when Yarne (best character evar) come to terms with the fact that he's the last Taguel and he shouldn't live the life of a coward. Or even Lon'qu getting over his fear of women. It's true that Ike's maturation is much more in depth and such, but that's really the only real change we see (aside from Soren and maybe Sothe). I just feel like I barely knew anything about the soldiers fighting alongside him. I would've loved to find out more about Geoffrey, Haar, Jill, Tauroneo, Zihark and so many others. I feel like after two games, I should be able to tell you more about those characters than just their name, class, nationality and hair color... Don't get me wrong, the story was great and these characters did help build it, but I love learning more about the characters in these games, and there was not a lot to learn about them. I personally would argue that the little support conversations that help you understand the characters are just as important as the overall plot, which is why I have a hard time appreciating PoR and RD.
I agree, most of the units in PoR and RD are just there and you don't get to know them as much as in Awakening. Even though I think PoR had a better story, Awakening had a lot of supports, class changes, kid character combinations and so much more content. It really adds to its replay value.
I'm sure most of us have replayed Awakening on different difficulties, not for the story but for the challenge and different choices (pairings and class changes). Although I do like the theme of Awakening, I agree that it wasn't delivered as well as PoR. It's still my favorite 3DS game.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I liked PoR and RD's characters much more than Awakenings.

Most of Awakening's cast I found to be very boring, with their supports not being as good as PoR's. RD's story in turn was miles ahead of Awakening's, which made up for the fluff supports. The story itself also did some nice character development for some of the units.

itsReaLitY

Smash Cadet
NNID
LoZ_MartineZ
Hey anyone here wanna help train with Ike. I could really use the help add LoZ_MartineZ thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 269706

I liked PoR and RD's characters much more than Awakenings.

Most of Awakening's cast I found to be very boring, with their supports not being as good as PoR's. RD's story in turn was miles ahead of Awakening's, which made up for the fluff supports. The story itself also did some nice character development for some of the units.
I think they both had pretty evenly interesting characters. Though if you ask me, Sacred Stones easily had the best cast of any Fire Emblem game. Ephraim and Eirika were an awesome pair of lords. Joshua, Cormag, Gerik's guild, L'arachel, Duessel and so many others felt so right in that army. On top of that, so many of the villains seemed like incredible characters with back stories too, including Selena, Caellach, Carlyle, and of course Lyon.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
The thing that interests me the most out of the Tellius Arc is the fact that Ike isn't on royal blood. He's just a a normal beroc who always put forth his best effort. I find that more interesting then the "Blood and Fate" recurring theme. I'm also interest between the relation between the beroc and laguz. I can't wait to play RD.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Got my first eruption ledgeguard kill while Pit was digging his face into the underside of Battlefield. It. Feels. Glorious.

I feel out of place with the discussion above considering I still haven't played a FE game yet. Man.

Last edited:

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Got my first eruption ledgeguard kill while Pit was digging his face into the underside of Battlefield. It. Feels. Glorious.

I feel out of place with the discussion above considering I still haven't played a FE game yet. Man.
pls

At least play FE9 and FE10, you won't be disappointed. ;)

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
So guys, any of you heard about Nintendo releasing Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn OST? Pretty late, but cool nonetheless.

D

Deleted member 269706

So guys, any of you heard about Nintendo releasing Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn OST? Pretty late, but cool nonetheless.
First I'm hearing of this...mind sharing some sources?!

D

Deleted member 269706

Ooh, that's exciting. I'd love to get some of the songs from those games. I remember Jarod's theme was pretty awesome! (He was the best villain in that game, aside from the black knight obviously, so it's pretty fitting!)

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Is there someone on these forums who goes by Zaki? I just got sandbagged so hard by him on For Glory while he was using Ike. I'd say GGs, but honestly, he was a real jerk.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Is there someone on these forums who goes by Zaki? I just got sandbagged so hard by him on For Glory while he was using Ike. I'd say GGs, but honestly, he was a real jerk.
I've never heard of a player named Zaki, but try using the Ike User & Finder thread.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Guys, the Zelda mains are attacking the Lucina boards. We need back-up from the FE mains. Lucina main requesting help. Please understand.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Guys, the Zelda mains are attacking the Lucina boards. We need back-up from the FE mains. Lucina main requesting help. Please understand.
Apparently locked the thread. That's pretty weird.
Anyways, Happy New Year, guys!

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
So guys, this is the Apex ruleset. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74563582/Apex/Apex2015_Rulebook.pdf

Go look at the SSB4 section. Notice that its 2 stocks (while Brawl is still 3, making a time issue suspect at best), that the stage list is almost identical to Brawl's despite missing some extremely obvious neutrals and counter picks. Notice the lack of customs (Miis actually have 1/1/1/1 2/2/2/2 and 3/3/3/3 sets now as a minor change).

This is simply terrible. Not only is it a badly designed ruleset, other tournaments are going to blindly copy it because Apex is the first major tournament. Please go here: https://www.facebook.com/events/301539433342834/ and civilly voice complaints about it. If its not civil, it will give the TOs an excuse to ignore the discussion. Even if you're not going to the tournament, talk about how as a stream viewer the rules make you disinterested in watching the tournament. In particularly the lack of custom moves even though the Standard Moveset Project makes it simple for even a massive tournament like Apex to have all customs unlocked.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So guys, this is the Apex ruleset. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74563582/Apex/Apex2015_Rulebook.pdf

Go look at the SSB4 section. Notice that its 2 stocks (while Brawl is still 3, making a time issue suspect at best), that the stage list is almost identical to Brawl's despite missing some extremely obvious neutrals and counter picks. Notice the lack of customs (Miis actually have 1/1/1/1 2/2/2/2 and 3/3/3/3 sets now as a minor change).

This is simply terrible. Not only is it a badly designed ruleset, other tournaments are going to blindly copy it because Apex is the first major tournament. Please go here: https://www.facebook.com/events/301539433342834/ and civilly voice complaints about it. If its not civil, it will give the TOs an excuse to ignore the discussion. Even if you're not going to the tournament, talk about how as a stream viewer the rules make you disinterested in watching the tournament. In particularly the lack of custom moves even though the Standard Moveset Project makes it simple for even a massive tournament like Apex to have all customs unlocked.
I agree. The Brawl Ruleset shouldn't have more stocks and time than Wii U. I would like the Ruleset for Brawl should have the same stock and time as Wii U, as well as a ban on MK and IC. I'm okay with the lack of customs though, but the Mii Fighters should be allowed to have unlimited customization options for Special Moves.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Brawl retains three stocks and eight minutes despite being slower than Smash 4? Beautiful.

I like the current Smash 4 rules for stock and time considering how new the game still is, but the rest of the ruleset...lol. Omega stages as counterpicks instead of starters? The moveset restrictions for Miis? That's pretty lame.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
A bit off topic, but is it common for your Lords in Awakening to fall behind of the rest of the units? Chrome, who was once a great unit, is now a total liability to my team. Lucina is the same. I even used then aster seal to promoted, but that hasn't alleviated the problem. Is there any ways to fix this?

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
A bit off topic, but is it common for your Lords in Awakening to fall behind of the rest of the units? Chrome, who was once a great unit, is now a total liability to my team. Lucina is the same. I even used then aster seal to promoted, but that hasn't alleviated the problem. Is there any ways to fix this?
For one thing, the children always have better potential than the original generation, so Chrom will fall a bit behind at one point or another anyways. Neither of them should ever be liabilities, though, so you either aren't leveling them enough or the RNG just screwed them over.

Use stat-up items if you need to; otherwise, just baby them a bit to see of their growths get any better.

Top Bottom