• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Free-For-All Characters

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
MK is probably still the best. Marth and Snake are also quite good.

Bowser's probably one of the worst, if not THE worst. ICs become pretty bad.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
MK, Pikachu, Marth, Snake

Characters need recovery and safe moves to avoid getting double teamed and such. Assuming stock. If its kills then Ike, DK, and the like.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
That'll likely be interrupted by the 4th player though.
What matters is the mobility to avoid being combo'd, good recovery, safe moves with good range that allows you to hit multiple opponents..uh that's all I was thinking of.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Honestly, there isn't really a point in asking questions like this (at least, not in the 'Competitive Brawl Discussion' subforum), because nobody plays FFAs competitively outside of All-Brawl, which doesn't happen very often to my knowledge and when it does, it's a side event.

There is an obvious flaw in competitive no-item FFAs in that despite how good you may be, you can easily be teamed up upon and lose all your stocks first, despite being the best one. And it's going to happen.
And if you're going to team up with people in FFAs, you might as well just play doubles competitively instead. It's the same thing, except
-You only team up with 1 person, and it's the same teammate for the entirety of the match
-You team with that person throughout the entire tournament
-You can share lives

And it really just collapses. If you try to push for competitive FFAs, people who play it competitively become better --> they get recognized as the better players --> more likely to get teamed up on --> more likely to lose (assuming the other 3 aren't trash), because the obvious strategy is that if there is a 4-player FFA and players A, B and C all know that they are significantly worse than player D, they're going to team up on player D and attempt to eliminate him first for each of their own personal gain.

SSS

Smash Ace
So if I was to host a tournament I should just do all singles? My community isn't one got organized teams. And I think if you pummel, they always release on the ground.

:phone:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
if you break out with a jump input you air release, if you do break out on his pummel its a ground release but you decide when you mash. Basically time to break out in between pummels

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
No. If you don't pummel, then whether they ground/air release depends on whether their feet are touching the ground while being grabbed, and whether they hit jump during the right interval while mashing.

If you do pummel, it depends on those things and whether they broke out during the pummel or in between pummels.

If you're going to host a tournament, it depends on the amount of time you have and the # of entrants.
Most tournaments are singles + doubles. Some also have one or more side events. Some are only singles due to time constraints.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
marth is booty in group battles/teams. it's all about spacing and its impossible to do such with everyone running around hitting whatevers close

SoulPech

Smash Master
IMO, I think Fox is good in regards to taking on a 2 v 1 because of his Dair and the ability to rack up damage shooting lasers. The problem though is if it is a legit Free-For-All and not a "OMG TEAM UP ON HIM HE'S THE BEST" sort of deal then he can gets poopied on.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
That basically applies to most characters or most people who are winning.

Like me being pummeled so it gets even after making a double kill.

SoulPech

Smash Master
That basically applies to most characters or most people who are winning.

Like me being pummeled so it gets even after making a double kill.
I typically go by highest damage when I play free-for-alls. I wouldn't care if you're Ally or my grandmother...I'd still go after you if you're at high %

salaboB

Smash Champion
ROB is hilarious. Spam from afar, and then dsmash.

Like normal.
Anyone with a good ranged harass and "get away from me" clear move does pretty well in FFAs. Even if everyone tries to gang up on you, unless they're actually disciplined you can often clear yourself some space and they'll go after each other again once you're on the wrong side of the map from them -- and then harass them the whole way in if they do come for you, which slows them down further and increases the chances of someone else seeing them in a bad position and finishing them for you.

(This is assuming it's a stock match. A kill match would probably be the most fair FFA for a tournament since it's harder to gang up effectively on someone in it.)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike.

FSmash
USmash

Jab or tilts

GG

Shield, smack him into the air. GG, too easy for Ike to get combo'd into gimped cause you can't always play safe to avoid all 3 characters on the field. Ike has that weakness in stock games. Its not bad, but it holds him back from being the best.

Top Bottom