• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame Of Reference: Skill Level

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
But seriously, only play against lvl 1 CPUs or training if you are trying to get better from it. Otherwise might I suggest playing 3 lvl 9 CPUs with items on very high, occasionally playing with only pokeballs, bombs, or hammers. I hear doing that is the only way to get as good as the pros.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
lol to pwn this thread i guess...

10 Lives out of 10
Zero Damage
Ganondorf ditto

Ledge Stall FTW

Yea comps prove nothing and this is not a way to base your skill of anything.. my mom has beaten a level nine before and then said the game was dumb haha

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Computers are absolutly useless in terms of fighting. If you can find a way to abuse the AI before the AI abuses you, there's no contest.
Hate to burst the author's bubble, but he's got a point. Pitting yourself against a computer is good practice (i.e. brushing up on your techs and whatnot), but it does not stress just how good you are. In order to really test your mettle, you have to look beyond a game's AI and play against human opponents.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
wow, congratulations for getting better by playing CPUs. you should only play CPUs when you are practicing combos and other technical skills. And your "pretty good people" probably suck more than a dried sea cucumber sucking a three foot tall lollipop while basking in the rain on a late winter's mourning. But thats just my opinion.
Well, I'd bet that any one of my "dried sea cucumber friends" could school you. And that includes me.

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'd bet that any one of my "dried sea cucumber friends" could school you. And that includes me.
Who uses the word "school" anymore? Why did you call yourself a dried sea cucumber? Do you know that dried sea cucumbers can't play smash on account that they are dry, dead, and don't have hands? Did you also know that your post is pointless because unless you are willing to come to Grand Rapids and play me then there is nothing to bet on?

Well don't worry. I'm sure that with a little time, practice, and education you will soon be able to figure out things like these comments without me telling you, but for now I'm glad I contributed to helping you gain some knowledge. So keep your head up little buddy, people generally don't stay stupid forever.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Who uses the word "school" anymore? Why did you call yourself a dried sea cucumber? Do you know that dried sea cucumbers can't play smash on account that they are dry, dead, and don't have hands? Did you also know that your post is pointless because unless you are willing to come to Grand Rapids and play me then there is nothing to bet on?

Well don't worry. I'm sure that with a little time, practice, and education you will soon be able to figure out things like these comments without me telling you, but for now I'm glad I contributed to helping you gain some knowledge. So keep your head up little buddy, people generally don't stay stupid forever.
well for starters, it's called poetic license. It applies to poetry and prose, and allows me to do stuff like refer to people as dried up sea cucumbers, just as you did. Although mine was more in a repetitive, mocking manner, which slips into rhetoric I suppose.

Also, I got nothin to prove to you, because you're a noob. I can tell by your attitude that you could never amount to anything good. I'm just throwing facts out there. And maybe when you grow up you'll realize that acting like a witty ****bag doesn't make you intelligent.

Force Frontal by Chicken

Smash Apprentice
Ok, my turn to make fun of how stupid you are. Why? Because I really don't like you.

well for starters, it's called poetic license. It applies to poetry and prose, and allows me to do stuff like refer to people as dried up sea cucumbers, just as you did. Although mine was more in a repetitive, mocking manner, which slips into rhetoric I suppose.

Also, I got nothin to prove to you, because you're a noob. I can tell by your attitude that you could never amount to anything good. I'm just throwing facts out there. And maybe when you grow up you'll realize that acting like a witty ****bag doesn't make you intelligent.
well for starters that's not poetic license. You are correct it applies to poetry but it is changing a word so that it fits better in rhyme or metre. Just because you heard about the term in school doesn't mean that you can use wrongly just as a big word hoping that nobody will know what it is or care about it. I was also not repetitive, it was the first time you said it and fallen only said it once so it doesn't count as repetition, and it was a really really bad mock if that was your intention. Calling yourself a sea cucumber isn't a very good way to mock somebody.

Now for the second paragraph. first of all, he didn't say anything about your skill level in his second comment, he said nothing about his either. he did not say, "you suck, I am better." he mainly just called you stupid which I have to agree with. I see you getting pissed off right now and laugh at how pathetic you are. I don't think his intentions were to be intelligent, I think it was to be funny, which I found it very funny, especially now that you have responded in an ******** ***hole way.

I have watched videos of both of you and I noticed you both play as link. Frankly he seemed alot better than you. I would put money that he would **** you in the *** if you played. I wouldn't post comments about you schooling him until you know how good he is compared to you.

Its incredible, people these days.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ok, my turn to make fun of how stupid you are. Why? Because I really don't like you.

well for starters that's not poetic license. You are correct it applies to poetry but it is changing a word so that it fits better in rhyme or metre. Just because you heard about the term in school doesn't mean that you can use wrongly just as a big word hoping that nobody will know what it is or care about it Hey way to try and correct someone and then fail with your grammer *thumbs up*
. I was also not repetitive, it was the first time you said it and fallen only said it once so it doesn't count as repetition, and it was a really really bad mock if that was your intention. Calling yourself a sea cucumber isn't a very good way to mock somebody.

Now for the second paragraph. first of all, he didn't say anything about your skill level in his second comment, he said nothing about his either. he did not say, "you suck, I am better." he mainly just called you stupid which I have to agree with. I see you getting pissed off right now and laugh at how pathetic you are. I don't think his intentions were to be intelligent, I think it was to be funny, which I found it very funny, especially now that you have responded in an ******** ***hole way.This whole paragraph makes you look like an idiot, you don't know these people yet you flame them on the internet, thats pretty cool i guess... PHAIL!!

I have watched videos of both of you and I noticed you both play as link. Frankly he seemed alot better than you. I would put money that he would **** you in the *** if you played. I wouldn't post comments about you schooling him until you know how good he is compared to you.... Wow **** you in the ***, really intelligent.. hey heres a good thing to note, its insulting to compare two people especially if you haven't played them

Its incredible, people these days. I completely agree... stfu
Wow kid your the man, you've made one post and looked like a total ****.. congrats i guess

Oh and the arguement that FD is neutral.. play falco on that level... he owns that level

Can we close this thread, nothing good is coming out of it.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Wow I didn't know you lived under the sea. :laugh: You can't school anyone because you play like level 9 CPUs. I just use level 1 for combos and as well praticing other things too.

You stink, also I know I can school you in Soul Calibur 2 and 3. Those CPUs are harder than the ones on smash much harder. Try again kid.:laugh:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I thought the CPUs in Soul Calibur do nothing except Guard Impact : \

LV9 CPUs are two things - ridiculously good at timing and ridiculously stupid. Nothing will change that in Melee.

I'd definitely like to see a game between BDawg and Fallen, since I've played against one of them before and in all honesty, I don't see BDawg winning by a huge margin, if at all.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
aww, be nice guys

I only play against lvl9 for testing some combos since they tend to be pretty good at breaking combos that aren't really combos.

The only computer i use for practice regularly are lvl1 for practicing certain technical things since you can't use c-stick in training mode.

I've been measuring myself in skill level against a fairly consistent and technical player that I play with pretty regularly and with my performance against a few people i've seen at recent local tourneys.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
This doesn't prove anything, playing well against AI shows one thing and that's that you know how to exploit it's weakness, which is predictabilty. Fighting AI =/= fighting people.

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't prove anything, playing well against AI shows one thing and that's that you know how to exploit it's weakness, which is predictabilty. Fighting AI =/= fighting people.
What are you talking about? BDawgPHD fights lvl 9 CPUs and he's nearly pro.:joyful:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That doesn't mean anything. Anyone can beat level 9s, it's no tough task. The more you fight computers the more you know what to expect. I remember fighting C Falcon on Mute city and everytime the game starts he does raptor boost. EVERY TIME.

So unless you beat real life people regularly it doesn't show anything. More people think that training off level 9s will make you worse for the reasons I stated earlier.

Even if BD is 'nearly pro' fighting level 9s is a waste of time for him, any pro should know that. I fought level 9s for 2 reasons:

1) for fun
2) there's no one else to play against

I never even used to train because there's nothing to use training on.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
They're also the best CPUs to use for the Jigglypuff Fight Club.

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
That doesn't mean anything. Anyone can beat level 9s, it's no tough task. The more you fight computers the more you know what to expect. I remember fighting C Falcon on Mute city and everytime the game starts he does raptor boost. EVERY TIME.

So unless you beat real life people regularly it doesn't show anything. More people think that training off level 9s will make you worse for the reasons I stated earlier.

Even if BD is 'nearly pro' fighting level 9s is a waste of time for him, any pro should know that. I fought level 9s for 2 reasons:

1) for fun
2) there's no one else to play against

I never even used to train because there's nothing to use training on.
lmfao. I was sarcastic, did you even read some of the earlier posts in this thread? BPHD isn't nearly pro.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
The reason I favor lvl1 over training mode is because I like to c-stick aerials and smashes and training mode doesn't like c-stick as much. Training mode is a bit nicer when I want to reset my training computer's damage percent though.

Sohashu

Smash Rookie
This is a bad frame of reference, but I beat 3 level 9 Ganons as Ganon with 4 lives left, 30 damage.

robyextreme

Smash Ace
Lmao the only use a CPU has is setting it to lvl 3 so it DI's and just practicing combos.

Lvl 9's powershield everything, and just jab like no tomorrow (f'in annoying)

Randizzle

Smash Ace
boyr...

Anyway, I'm really not sure about how well any level of computer DIs. I don't recall noticing a huge difference between lvl 2 and lvl 3, but I can try checking again.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Honestly, you shouldn't even practice that much with a lvl 1 computer. After you have most of your tech skill down it gets pointless, because DI will effect every combo you try to perform. Often times, I find it easier to combo real people, cause I'm more used to good DI, and playing against level 1s kinda mess with things.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
5 out of 5 left
23%
Yoshi, dammit. That was too easy. I did that to show you that THIS WON'T WORK.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Apparently this is a sarcasm thread. I really wish people *wouldn't* use these because sarcasm doesn't work well without a voice. Then smart *** kids get uptight when people are confused.

This thread fails.

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
Apparently this is a sarcasm thread. I really wish people *wouldn't* use these because sarcasm doesn't work well without a voice. Then smart *** kids get uptight when people are confused.

This thread fails.
Wow you really aren't very bright. This wasn't a sarcasm thread until it became completely useless at about page 3. If you read through the posts then maybe you would have realized that before you put a message up that made you look stupid. But that's just my opinion.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Why bother to read page one, the guy has 3 posts. No need to go prick on me for not understanding sarcasm over the internet. Jeez.

Oh and my 'stupid message' is accurate. Go train on level 9s, if my post is really that stupid.

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
Why bother to read page one, the guy has 3 posts. No need to go prick on me for not understanding sarcasm over the internet. Jeez.

Oh and my 'stupid message' is accurate. Go train on level 9s, if my post is really that stupid.
Are you kidding me? You are still posting stupid messages.

You shouldn't read just the original guy's posts. I'm talking about everyone else's in the thread to understand what is going on. I wasn't arguing the fact that playing lvl 9's make you worse, I even said that myself in a prickish way to BPHD earlier in the thread. Thats what I am talking about when I say read other posts to see whats going on or don't post at all. And if you do post something stupid I'm gonna call you out on it and continue to be a prick until you go away.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Well, since this is page 2.... most of page 1 was flame, maybe 3 people tried it.... Page 2 is just people arguing with each other and talking about talking about lvl 9's. So both pages are worthless.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'll just leave this thread, it's gonna turn into a flame war and I don't want to be a part of it.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Are you kidding me? You are still posting stupid messages.

You shouldn't read just the original guy's posts. I'm talking about everyone else's in the thread to understand what is going on. I wasn't arguing the fact that playing lvl 9's make you worse, I even said that myself in a prickish way to BPHD earlier in the thread. Thats what I am talking about when I say read other posts to see whats going on or don't post at all. And if you do post something stupid I'm gonna call you out on it and continue to be a prick until you go away.
And this..why some people are ********. Seriously wtf is this? Def Jam Melee. You don't call out people and just be a prick. Man up go to house and lay a punch on him. Stop being such a scrub.

Top Bottom