• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Frame data

Tenki

Smash Hero
Question/request:

D-air landing lag frames = ?

Also, # of frames to fullhop, (fastfall) and land?

Browny

Smash Hater
i already posted the dair landing lag?

also ill get to everything else when i got time. uni is a ***** atm :(

Tenki

Smash Hero
Oh, I see.

well, I wanna know the frame length for Sonic's:
-shorthop
-fullhop
-VSDJ (it's the same as a normal SDJ, but it's easier to record)
-shorthop (fastfall)
-fullhop (fastfall)
-VSDJ (fastfall)

optional "startup frames" to jump and "landing lag", but I want it the frame data from the moment he leaves the ground until he lands.

I have some interesting ideas.

Browny

Smash Hater
bah, i finally got around to trying to do it using full-speed training. doesnt work at all, my camera is no where near fast enough :( thoe numbers are gonna be the best ill ever get

Tenki

Smash Hero
Put my last request on hold,

I need frame #'s for Sonic's jump. That is, how many frames it takes for him to GTFO the floor (startup lag)

also, I need someone to test frames for a certain 'project'. send me a PM if you can do frame tests for multiple moves.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Put my last request on hold,

I need frame #'s for Sonic's jump. That is, how many frames it takes for him to GTFO the floor (startup lag)

also, I need someone to test frames for a certain 'project'. send me a PM if you can do frame tests for multiple moves.
The ultimate Sonic guide I guess.

Tenki

Smash Hero
lolk

oh also, I saw SCOTU post this on allisbrawl:
(I'll leave it unquoted)
SCOTU: Here's how I did it. Training mode, 1/4 speed, capture the video in 30fps interlaced (with a capture card, not a camera), where you have a resolution of 4 video frames per game frame. Then you simply frame by frame it and count how many frames before moves hit.

TheRealBobMan: Ok, thanks for posting that. : )

Except that at that speed, you should only get 2 video frames per game frame?

1/4 of 60 is 15. You record at 30. You get 2 video frames per game frame.
...?

Please tell me I'm not right, or that you just made a typo... lmao

SCOTU: they're interlaced frames, meaning that 1/2 of the frame (every other scan line) is from one game frame, and every other other scan line is from the next frame. It's 60 fields per second, so you can still check every frame

edit:
I just noticed, he was talking about using a capture card, not a video camera D;

Levitas

the moon
Scotu's method is a good way, I used his equipment for ness and lucas, and he used it for fox.

The thing to watch for is that you might want to use a de-interlacer because brawl adds frames in 1/4 speed. So you might end up counting half frames for certain moves, and that's less obvious to count than the rather clear normal frames. ie lucas starts his frame between frame 236 and 237. lucas hits with his jab between 238 and 239, so it hits on frame 2.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Scotu's method is a good way, I used his equipment for ness and lucas, and he used it for fox.

The thing to watch for is that you might want to use a de-interlacer because brawl adds frames in 1/4 speed. So you might end up counting half frames for certain moves, and that's less obvious to count than the rather clear normal frames. ie lucas starts his frame between frame 236 and 237. lucas hits with his jab between 238 and 239, so it hits on frame 2.
I posted SCOTU's method here, but I don't think djbrowny has a capture card. D:

Levitas

the moon
Anything less direct than a capture card runs the risk of slowdown/speedup upon data transfer/format transfer.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yeah...

We need someone with capture card + patience to test a whole list of things for Sonic lol.

Levitas

the moon
If I ever have free time again, I might be able to help, depending on what it is. We capture video on all tournaments, so I could just capture whatever right as we're hooking the stuff up and find frames on Vdub later.

I'm not the guy to ask for certain things though, particularly tech skill dependant character specific techniques on 1/4 speed...

Edit: to clarify, today is the calm before the storm. I have massive epic aerospace engineering homework in two subjects and another subject of homework due friday, so I'm kinda... taking today off instead of... you know... spreading it over two days...

crap.

Browny

Smash Hater
Anything less direct than a capture card runs the risk of slowdown/speedup upon data transfer/format transfer.
i can slow down my footage such that 1 in-game frame is equivalent to 12 frames in my video editing program. there is no risk whatsoever of any interpolation (which ive explained a million times)

the only thing that could muck up my data is the 3/5 factor. like i said before, when i get frame data for any other character using my method, i multiply my values by 0.6 and am pretty much always within 0.3 frames of what character specific boards give for their respective attacks.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Oh, dj, are the values you have down right now before or after you multiplied it?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I have just successfully transfered a video file to the correct frame rate for brawl using this:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193379

It was incredible, in front of my very eyes the sync of the correct frame rate made the brawl video on my computer look as beautiful as the real deal.

I didn't stop there, I figured out how to export animated gifs or single image files so that I can share the beauty with all of you.

I plan to map out as much of Sonic's possible frame data as possible. Whoever is interested in this needs to help me figure out not only what we want to know , but a standard convention so that it's easy to compare and understand.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Finally, we actually can get frame data now! Thank you Dnes! I mean, thank you hotgarbage!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I was more or less teasing DJ, but it seems the way hotgarbage does it is more accurate.
Unless I missed something...?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I wasn't trying to step over anyone's bounds and honestly I tested out some of your numbers and they seem to agree. I'm not going to come in with the "real numbers" or anything. It's just that it was september when you last edited the main post and now we're practically in December and I'm rooting for you to get on that smash lab crew so who knows how busy you'll be?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Are you 100% sure about the stand grab being really only 5 frames?

Also his jab being 3 frames?

I hate to question but those are some odd numbers

Browny

Smash Hater
how are they odd numbers? theyre pretty much the standard for all characters.
the only thing im not sure about is the amount of frames a grab is active for, thats hard to test
---
ill make the standing grab 6 frames, idk how i got it as 5 lol

I'm rooting for you to get on that smash lab crew so who knows how busy you'll be?
lol I gave up on that when panda (name search incoming) said he will be drafting the list without giving us any opportunity to write an application. Being a sonic main pretty much screws my chances

The BlackChrimson

Smash Apprentice
And some other interesting things,
a shield-cancelled foxtrot into an fsmash is 70 frames, while a pivotted foxtrot into an fsmash is 46. thats the time when the hitbox is out. put simply, you can dash like 1/4 FD's length to fsmash REALLY fast.
Is there any footage of this example? I'd love to see it if it's out there. :3

Sorry I brought this up on an old thread...

Top Bottom