• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox moveset tier list!

M@v

Subarashii!
Its a popular idea, and it seems to have some value to it. It can let newcomers know the general idea of fox's move set strengths. Out of boredom, here is a general idea: I factored in power, usefulness to fox's game, possible AT usage, etc.

TOP:
Up smash
Up tilt
D air

HIGH:
F air
Shine
N air

MID:
d smash
b air
illusion
D throw
blaster
Up air
Ftilt
Jab

LOW:
Dash attack
F throw
B Throw
F throw
B Throw
Fsmash
rapid kick
D tilt
Up throw

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Hmm. I don't have much experience with fox. But fair seems a bit too high to me.

Shadow_Bane

Smash Cadet
^NOPE.
It gives you +vertical "jump".
Combos with D-throw.
And if they try to shield/airdodge it you can either DI[shield] or they still get hit[airdodge].

M@v

Subarashii!
Hmm. I don't have much experience with fox. But fair seems a bit too high to me.
let me explain why:

It has high priority

It has 5 hits, and does around 23% when all 5 hit.

You can use the rising fair AT, which gives fox a huge jump boost(Great for recovery)

It is the closet thing to a dthrow followup fox has

If timed right, it has a low cancel time.

Only reason Dair is higher is because Fair doesnt help fox's combo game, which is Dair's main purpose.

Shadow_Bane

Smash Cadet
Its a popular idea, and it seems to have some value to it. It can let newcomers know the general idea of fox's move set strengths. Out of boredom, here is a general idea: I factored in power, usefulness to fox's game, possible AT usage, etc.

TOP:
Up smash
Up tilt
D air

HIGH:
F air
Shine
N air

MID:
d smash
b air
illusion
D throw
Up air
f smash

LOW:
F tilt
Neutral A
F throw
B Throw
D tilt
fire fox
Up throw

Oh yeah I forgot.
Where's his blaster?

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
I'd say U-throw is more useful than other throws other than D-throw. It just sets them up so perfectly for a B-air/U-air or U-smash landing kill.

M@v

Subarashii!
I'd say U-throw is more useful than other throws other than D-throw. It just sets them up so perfectly for a B-air/U-air or U-smash landing kill.
no it doesnt.....
Also 99% of the time none of the lasers even HIT the guy.

Also whoops about the blaster. added in mid tier.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
This looks about right, nice job Pgh-M@v-Pgh. I can't seem to find anything that I don't agree with you about.

M@v

Subarashii!
the shine should be 1 higher imo,but the rest of the list is well done
This isnt the melee shine we are talking about =P

And upthrow is TERRIBLE. It does like no damage, it doesnt set up, or even give a chance to set up. Lastly, with the slightest DI, you wont get hit by the lasers after it. Since you cant follow it up with anything, its only use is to get them above you.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I think Down Smash should be on the High Tier, it comes out fast and you can shine after it when he's offstage. Also kills at high percentages, like 120% or so.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld

And upthrow is TERRIBLE. It does like no damage, it doesnt set up, or even give a chance to set up. Lastly, with the slightest DI, you wont get hit by the lasers after it. Since you cant follow it up with anything, its only use is to get them above you.
The lasers aren't important. It's like an instant teleport above you. It's a better mindgame than the D-throw approach.

PhilMcCloud17

Smash Cadet

haha yea it is a bad move. but firefox def should be higher.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
haha yea it is a bad move. but firefox def should be higher.
Why should FireFox get moved up, it can be easily gimp'd. Also, it's really not a really reliable recovery. If you could give a bit more detail on why it should get moved up, I'd see your reasoning.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
It's attack damage is comparible to that of a Falcon Punch. Difference is... you can actually use it as an attack. Behold, your reason^^^.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
TOP:
Up smash
Up tilt
D air I'd put Dair above Utilt, simply because it has more potential. That is, Dair sets up for a number of things, while Utilt has only a few real uses.

HIGH:
F air
Shine Shine above Nair? Debatable.
N air

MID:
d smash
b air I'd move Bair up into high, as well as Dsmash. I find them to be staples in Fox's mixup games, and the gap between Bair and Illusion is huge.
illusion I'm interested in hearing the reasoning for Illusion above Dthrow. I'm thinking mostly recovery, yes?
D throw
blaster
Up air
f smash Needs to be in Low, for sure. This should almost never work except to punish spot dodges, and half of the time, Dsmash does a better job anyway.

LOW:
F tilt Whoa. Why Ftilt here?
Neutral A Jab should definitely be much higher. It's quick, it's useful, it forces the opponent to guess what the next thing that Fox is going to do is. Grab or attack? Guess wrong and eat a combo.
F throw
B Throw
D tilt
fire fox I'm pretty sure Firefox does more than Dtilt does. Recovery -> Slow moves that lead into nothing and do horrible damage.
Up throw LOL UTHROW

Mi1oo

Smash Apprentice
TOP:
Up smash
D air
Blaster (Blaster is what makes a lot of foxes match ups possible for him. It’s at top I don’t care what you say lol)

HIGH:
Up tilt
Shine
F air
Pivot Grab
Jab
N air
D smash (easily followed up after dair, if near edge can gimp or kill easily)
B air

MID:
Up air
D throw
Illusion
F tilt

LOW:
F smash
F throw
B Throw
Fire fox
Up throw

Bottom
AAA
D tilt

There’s mine xD

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Amen to the Blaster comment^^^! He's right about it. Have you ever tried playing as Captain Falcon? Having no projectile is such a pain!!!

Jenkins

Smash Lord
dair should definetly be higher than u-tilt. Dair is practically the reason why u-tilt is high (dair-->u-tilt combo)

Shadow_Bane

Smash Cadet
TOP:
Up smash
D air
Blaster (Blaster is what makes a lot of foxes match ups possible for him. It’s at top I don’t care what you say lol)

HIGH:
Up tilt
Shine
F air
Pivot Grab
Jab
N air
D smash (easily followed up after dair, if near edge can gimp or kill easily)
B air

MID:
Up air
D throw
Illusion
F tilt

LOW:
F smash
F throw
B Throw
Fire fox
Up throw

Bottom
AAA
D tilt

There’s mine xD

Yeah, finally someone remembered of that one.
Nice list.
^_*

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Utilt is better than dair. That little kick has a ****load of priority and can stop a number of aerial approaches. It also clanks with moves such as Snakes ftilt and utilt. Comes out on frame 3, has little cooldown time, and combos into itself for around 30-40% every stock. If Fox didn't have this move he would be low tier.

Dair is just overused by most of the Fox players so it's overvalued. In theory, it should only be used for punishing. It has crappy priority, most characters utilts can hit you out of it. It's also never safe on shield, in the air it can be DI'ed out of, and it has little range.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
And somebody tell me why B-throw is higher than U-throw? Honestly. Can you F-air after a B-throw? I didn't think so.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
And somebody tell me why B-throw is higher than U-throw? Honestly. Can you F-air after a B-throw? I didn't think so.
Can you set up for edgeguards easily with Uthrow? I didn't think so.

Mi1oo

Smash Apprentice
It is very dependent on the MU to do with UPthrow>Bthrow Up throw is probably under looked allot of the time and foxes neglect using it in any mu :(

Utilt is better than dair. That little kick has a ****load of priority and can stop a number of aerial approaches. It also clanks with moves such as Snakes ftilt and utilt. Comes out on frame 3, has little cooldown time, and combos into itself for around 30-40% every stock. If Fox didn't have this move he would be low tier.

Dair is just overused by most of the Fox players so it's overvalued. In theory, it should only be used for punishing. It has crappy priority, most characters utilts can hit you out of it. It's also never safe on shield, in the air it can be DI'ed out of, and it has little range.
Utilt is also unsafe into shields. You can Short hop dair out of shield quicker than you can drop shield and Utilt. Drill can be followed up with killing moves. Utilt rarely can. Utilt is still a great move, but not better than dair.

M@v

Subarashii!
Can you do Anything AT ALL after a Uthrow? Didn't think so.

its fox's crappiest move by far, possibly one of the crappiest in the game

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Can you do Anything AT ALL after a Uthrow? Didn't think so.

its fox's crappiest move by far, possibly one of the crappiest in the game
I wouldn't want to ever be above Fox, but that's just me.

It is very dependent on the MU to do with UPthrow>Bthrow Up throw is probably under looked allot of the time and foxes neglect using it in any mu :(

Utilt is also unsafe into shields. You can Short hop dair out of shield quicker than you can drop shield and Utilt. Drill can be followed up with killing moves. Utilt rarely can. Utilt is still a great move, but not better than dair.
A powershield>utilt, is extremely faster than jump cancelling to a dair. Sure dair combos into usmash, but how do you get there in the first place? Utilt just has generally more uses than dair, it's like a jab pumped up with steroids.

Mi1oo

Smash Apprentice
A powershield>utilt, is extremely faster than jump cancelling to a dair. Sure dair combos into usmash, but how do you get there in the first place? Utilt just has generally more uses than dair, it's like a jab pumped up with steroids.
You get there in the 1st place by baiting your opponent with blaster, shines stalls, and anything else you can think of that will make a hole for drill. Power shielding is rare at the moment. Blaster can open up holes for dair. Utilt doesn’t have more uses really… and jab can replace utilt in many situations or even be better than utilt if you expect a shield. Utilt can juggle sure. But after juggling percentage it’s just like another utilt. And juggling can also be DI out of just like drill. Utilt is crazy in slow pace games. Fast pace games where the momentum is going drill becomes the better move with more uses.

U tilt does have high priority but still gets beaten by some dairs and a lot of nairs. It can be easily out range also and it not always a great attack for people falling towards you. Utilt is a good move but really dair is more important to fox.

Shadow_Bane

Smash Cadet
A powershield>utilt, is extremely faster than jump cancelling to a dair. Sure dair combos into usmash, but how do you get there in the first place? Utilt just has generally more uses than dair, it's like a jab pumped up with steroids
Just stop.
They've given enough reasons why dair>utilt.
And I'm pretty sure it OU because its better...duh.

Mi1oo

Smash Apprentice
The gap between Bair and Upair is very little. They both have Ko potential, both have set up time, similar knock back distance with bair been more horizontal and upair been dead vertical, both are decent moves off stage, similar priority and range. They both have advantages and disadvantages on each other. Both are decent moves.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Just stop.
They've given enough reasons why dair>utilt.
And I'm pretty sure it OU because its better...duh.
Who the f*** are you? It's overused because generally most Fox players think it's some sort of God-tier move and use it as thier primary aerial.

If Fox didn't have utilt, his moveset would be mediocre. Utilt and usmash are Foxs' two best moves.........period.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
The gap between Bair and Upair is very little. They both have Ko potential, both have set up time, similar knock back distance with bair been more horizontal and upair been dead vertical, both are decent moves off stage, similar priority and range. They both have advantages and disadvantages on each other. Both are decent moves.
Except that Uair is much more difficult to hit than Bair, does little for spacing, and you can't shorthop bait with it, punish bad approaches, and gimp.

If Fox didn't have utilt, his moveset would be mediocre. Utilt and usmash are Foxs' two best moves.........period.
Really, I think this is more of a player's preference thing. You will see tons of bad Fox players spamming Dair. At the same time, you'll see tons of good Fox players using Dair efficiently. Same goes for Utilt. I find lone Utilts to be less realistically usable in matches, but again - it may very well be a player's preference.

Top Bottom