• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox - Guide and Discussion Thread

Sedda

Smash Champion
in my case, the whole game vs mario for me gets a lot better depending on how well I time my lasers. sometimes I laser in dumb spots and get hit by a fireball because I didn't have enough time to land after the shdl and shine it. when im close to a mario and Im trying to space back airs or something when im/they're getting in there, sometimes I need to remind myself to just jump and not get close and try to hit them because marios head is holy ****.

and of course if they have a habit of throwing fireballs at a particular time, i just time a fair/bair/nair so that i jump over/below the fireball and hit mario before the b animation is over. using the platforms is better against mario for me too because he's not as fast as falcon in the air.

those are my main issues with mario tho, aside from the usual "make sure to DI the drill and not get grabbed"

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
I just discovered today that non-stale dtilt kills pikachu at 107% on floor of dreamland. I had hoped that this knowledge would benefit all the Fox-players at Apex, but then I remembered that I'm not going, and I'm the only Fox main.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
RIP Fox,

I will miss your shining valiance. May you run through the fields of Dream Land, eternally blissful. I was your combo-fodder when you needed me and you were mine when I needed you. Our rivalry was like no other. I'll never forget the imprint that my fist left on your face, eternally painful. Your smug grin will never be the same. I guess you'll never show me ya moves ever again. *sigh* Good times, Fox. Good times.

Yours truly,
C. Falcon

P.S. I can't have children anymore, thanks a lot. Your up-smashes are more effective than a vasectomy performed by a sadistic version of Edward Scissorhands. ggs

BananaBolts

Multishines in this game are done by land cancelling instead of jump cancelling. Basically, you jump and immediately input shine to let gravity pull you down to auto-cancel the shine.

Last edited:

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
I like uair as a mixup on shield from a dair sometimes. You can usually get away with a sh late falling uair to go into more shield pressure/grab or hit them from it based on their reaction from the dair/sh.

Synesthesia

Smash Cadet
I actually found out a few days ago, you can dair > fair or bair. Its a bit harder to do and almost requires a button slide, but it works pretty well close to edges against a player with bad dI because you can follow it up with more fairs or bairs for the kill. It's pretty difficult though and you have to do it almost perfectly to get a foward facing hitbox, and like i said Di would really be a factor. I also was wondering about short-hot-frameperfect-shine cancels. It's very hard to do and i dont know exactly how frame-perfect you'd have to be to do it consistently, but it does cancel out all of the very slight landing lag from a shorthop-fastfall. I dont even know if it'd be a viable thing to practice but Im sure it'd speed up your play by a very small margin. I've just been messing around in training mode with fox, and figured i'd get some input.

$$$ Jim $$$

Smash Cadet
does anyone know if there's a compendium of when moves kill as fox? i've been manually testing when usmash will kill different characters on different parts of DL, but it's a bit tedious

BananaBolts

does anyone know if there's a compendium of when moves kill as fox? i've been manually testing when usmash will kill different characters on different parts of DL, but it's a bit tedious
Here's the blast zone data for the stages and a picture of DL coordinates.

You'll need Madao's attack calculator and all of the moveset data too (found in text files in Madao's attack calculator).

Use all three of these things in conjunction and you should be able to figure out when and where usmash will kill. This shouldn't be too difficult to use but feel free to ask if you get confused.

$$$ Jim $$$

Smash Cadet
Here's the blast zone data for the stages and a picture of DL coordinates.

You'll need Madao's attack calculator and all of the moveset data too (found in text files in Madao's attack calculator).

Use all three of these things in conjunction and you should be able to figure out when and where usmash will kill. This shouldn't be too difficult to use but feel free to ask if you get confused.
this certainly will expedite the process. thanks!

elel

Smash Rookie
I actually found out a few days ago, you can dair > fair or bair. Its a bit harder to do and almost requires a button slide, but it works pretty well close to edges against a player with bad dI because you can follow it up with more fairs or bairs for the kill. It's pretty difficult though and you have to do it almost perfectly to get a foward facing hitbox, and like i said Di would really be a factor. I also was wondering about short-hot-frameperfect-shine cancels. It's very hard to do and i dont know exactly how frame-perfect you'd have to be to do it consistently, but it does cancel out all of the very slight landing lag from a shorthop-fastfall. I dont even know if it'd be a viable thing to practice but Im sure it'd speed up your play by a very small margin. I've just been messing around in training mode with fox, and figured i'd get some input.
I just TAS'd shining out of a sh-ff. Even doing it frame perfect, it takes longer than ff lag due to just how long it takes fox to actually touch the ground.

I think dair-> aerials is pretty good, although you need to be pretty quick. I TAS'd this as well, you have 4-12 frames of leeway for uair/fair based on the character. 4 is for worst dair on dk and 12 for best dair on jiggs. Bair/nair/dair give you an extra 2 frames. 4 frames of leeway is definitely doable without DI, not sure about with DI. Probably still good.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I haven't played the matchup for a long time, but I feel like writing a guide.

Qualities required to win in Fox ditto (from more important to less important):

1) Nerves
3) Consistancy
10) Matchup knowledge
20) Techskill

Glasgowsmile

Smash Rookie
I´m currently trying to learn fox but i´m having trouble with the SHDL, i can SHL just fine, multi-shining no problem but i can barely get the timing right for the SHDL so i wanted to know what´s the frame-data for the move?

Sedda

Smash Champion
I´m currently trying to learn fox but i´m having trouble with the SHDL, i can SHL just fine, multi-shining no problem but i can barely get the timing right for the SHDL so i wanted to know what´s the frame-data for the move?
Don't worry about frame data for stuff like this. Unless you're running, it's not a frame perfect tech
Just learn to slide from c to b to get that first early laser. Usually trying to do it too fast is a bigger problem than you thinking you're doing it slow ( for the second laser)

Glasgowsmile

Smash Rookie
Don't worry about frame data for stuff like this. Unless you're running, it's not a frame perfect tech
Just learn to slide from c to b to get that first early laser. Usually trying to do it too fast is a bigger problem than you thinking you're doing it slow ( for the second laser)
thanks for the sliding tip, i practiced them a bit for like 5 minutes and immediatly saw a huge result. I managed to hit the SHDL around 40% of the time, compared to the usual 2% ^^

Last edited:

The24thGanondorf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1418-7666-1581
Fox has really good combos on the ground and with his bair and dair, but if you want to KO someone in the air above him his only option is to use his uair, you could try using his bair into his double jump but it's too risky.

Top Bottom