• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox Boards Overhaul - Ideas for keeping Boards Cleaner?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Okay, since the Fox boards are a horrible mess currently, I'm simply going ahead and make a list of checkpoints we, the Fox boards, have to do.

1.) Collect all threads that should be closed and give them to a mod (I'll be doing this now). Preferable would be someone of the people who know these boards becoming mod (if only temporary) and working together with SCOTU and/or Virgiljius to purge this room of unnecessary junk.

2.) Dig up the actually useful discussions (matchups, stages, what have you) and revive them, have the matchup discussions change leader to a dedicated person who will regularly update and is able to make good writeups (I'd offer myself for this job).

3.) Think of concepts in order to keep the Fox Boards cleaner:
- Unsticky the guides and have them highlighted in the Directory thread

4.) Bake a cake.

Any more suggestions?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
The matchup threads should be kept in the way Xiivi had them. Separate threads for each character, and a compiler of these threads stickied...

The overall thread should be slightly better organized and have one of those snazzy matchup charts, eventually...

We should, as a board, very briefly discuss each matchup, put the number in there, then go back over them in much greater detail... just to get some quick results, and then fully discuss, to even things out.

The directory thread should remain stickied. This thread should be well written (as it seems to be), and contain links to every main relevant Fox information and guide thread on the board (as it seems to, although many of the links either need to be discarded or updated).... much like the Marth board's copendium of knowledge thread.
This should eliminate the Fox guides from the stickies... which would be two fewer stickied threads... clearing it up a bit.

I'll clean up my Fox guide thread at some point, and put it all together...

A thread like Champ's should be stickied... the one listing each character into groupings, with CP and banned stages for each... This might replace the overall matchup thread I discussed already, just by actually adding matchup ratios, and fully discussing the CPs and bans...along with maybe adding brief summaries...

The board should basically be divided into several main threads:

Q&A is always needed
Fox general discussion is needed
Fox directory copendium thing is needed
Matchup main listing, with links to individual character matchup threads, is needed.
Video archive is needed

I think these should all definitely have stickies... maybe add my stage discussion to it, but that's debatable...
And then eliminate the other stickies... since these should provide links to all the necessary info

At that point, the non-stickied threads would mainly consist of individual character matchups, new discoveries (I'm against a general discovery thread, because it's very easy to get overlooked in that...), and general information threads (some of which would be added to the directory).

This would greatly clean up the boards, with any kind of modding to close unnecessary threads...

DarkAura

Smash Lord
was this all because of my post on the social thread...?

and everything fen just said took the words out of my mouth >.>

but WE SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY SERIOUSLY UBER FREAKIN SERIOUSLY need our match up threads running asap because iv had mto create these bogus match up meta games of my own that use what i think about the character not what their capable of and it screws me badddd the only match ups i know are pikachu... and.. pikachu T_T

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I like the idea of fusing the directory with a well-done guide even if not absolutely necessary, although fusing User Manual and All Aircraft Report would be far better - two guides is confusing.

As said, I would take the matchup threads and also make a chart, that'd be no problem for me.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I like the idea of fusing the directory with a well-done guide even if not absolutely necessary, although fusing User Manual and All Aircraft Report would be far better - two guides is confusing.

As said, I would take the matchup threads and also make a chart, that'd be no problem for me.
Well, not exactly fusing the two... the directory should just have very obvious links to both of them... at this point, people could find them easily enough, so they wouldn't have to be stickied... they're bth good guides, but yes, it's confusing, and when we have a directory, the threads linked from the directory (save the ones I mentioned earlier) should not also be stickied... no reason.
I haven't seen it recently, but the directory should also definitely have a link to knux's frame data, if it doesn't already...

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
It does already.
Yeah, I figured, but I haven't checked it in a little while...

Ok I just checked, and yeah, it has pretty much everything around here...

I just think that most players would go to the directory (maybe call it a copendium or something to make it more obvious) to look for guides... so why have the guides stickied?

Even though it mentions the social topic, Q&A, etc... they are a bit buried, and most people don't need to go into the directory to find those... no reason... just remove the stickies on the guides.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Absolutely perfect...

also, nice job spell-wrecking me... I've seen it without the "m" so many times, I thought it was right... good checking up.

General question:

What would people think about having two character matchup threads? this might seem redundant... and of course, it would contain a lot of the same info, but one set of them could be only concerned with figuring out the ratio, while the other would basically be a set of "what to do against this character".

The first would be a general matchup thread... but I've always thought that strategy in matchups goes way farther than the matchup thread even needs to take it...
Many char boards have a "how to beat MK" or etc thread in them... we could expand that... into just a single thread, that gave clear and concise instructions on how to utilize Fox's option to beat each character that we want to discuss...

For example, the BR right now has been discussing Snake... we could post discussions like that, form a general set of things to do and not do... and what to watch out for... and then just have an easy reference...

good idea? i dunno

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
That's what several boards are doing, actually, but in their matchup threads, too.
They have not only the comparison/ratio, but also strategies and what to watch out for vs. certain characters.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
That's what several boards are doing, actually, but in their matchup threads, too.
They have not only the comparison/ratio, but also strategies and what to watch out for vs. certain characters.
Well, it should be considered in the regular matchup thread, but maybe not to the depth I'm considering here...

Thinking about like every situation in the match, and what each character can do in them...

idk. maybe one is good enough.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well, that's very hard. XD
You have to take into account every possible location on every possible stage after every possible thing happened.

I think general strategies and what to look out for vs. your opponents should be good enough. I'm currently working on the (blank) matchup chart, by the way which I stole from the Lucario boards and editted it.

RPK

Smash Lord
Oh god...Ive had the idea to do something like this. However, its just a HINT more extreme. For the Marth boards, there is a player there named Havok who made a thread on how to beat Meta Knight. Thing is, he covered EVERYTHING that Meta Knight had. He covered his Fair, Dair, Shuttle Loop, ect. He even had all of the moves listed and their best option against it. And somewhere around that was a few paragraphs on the match up in general. There is a lot more to it, but I cant remember what was in all of it. and Im too lazy to go and take a look.

Though if we had something like that for each character in addition to Meta Knight....-shudders- That would be too good.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
We can add more ideas once we have started over. I think first we should concentrate on actually cleaning up and revive the older discussions we had.
The whole "How to fight vs XY"-guides we can do later on.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Oh god...Ive had the idea to do something like this. However, its just a HINT more extreme. For the Marth boards, there is a player there named Havok who made a thread on how to beat Meta Knight. Thing is, he covered EVERYTHING that Meta Knight had. He covered his Fair, Dair, Shuttle Loop, ect. He even had all of the moves listed and their best option against it. And somewhere around that was a few paragraphs on the match up in general. There is a lot more to it, but I cant remember what was in all of it. and Im too lazy to go and take a look.

Though if we had something like that for each character in addition to Meta Knight....-shudders- That would be too good.
We can add more ideas once we have started over. I think first we should concentrate on actually cleaning up and revive the older discussions we had.
The whole "How to fight vs XY"-guides we can do later on.

Yeah, this was what I was referring to..except do it even more community based... really analyze everything

I agree wholeheartedly with both of the quoted posts, though.

RPK

Smash Lord
Well, you think thatd kinda be covered in the match up guides. Sorta...Where a person goes out, studies the character's moveset, and comes back to us, giving us detail of each move and things that can be done from it, what it's used for ect. From there we find out how to counter each move that character has with our moveset. From there, a general thread on how the character would play out against Fox, and how we, in general should be playing against that character. Also countering the little tricks that a character would throw out at us here and there....

But yeah, this is stuff to add later. However, I think its stuff that we DEFINITELY should have...Cause then our match up threads would be tope tire x3

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Let me know if I can help out with stickyness/closing/ect

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
i should've inb4'd that :(
now i'm all disappointed.
THE FOX BOARDS ARE DOOMED TO BE MESSY NOW.

(personally i think the tournament results thread should be unstickied but i'm still new-ish here and know nothing so ignore me)

M@v

Subarashii!
They were two searate threads, then xiivi wanted to combine them, so he did. The fox guide that I started can be finished if you guys actually want to help me X_X. I can make a list of what I want to put in it, and we can split the workload up into sections. The doozy part, the moveset, is pretty much done, we just need to get sections about playstyle, recovery, camping, and all that stuff in

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I'd just like to say that my only request is that whoever is going to take charge of the matchup thread had better do it very, very, very well - meaning lots of details, accurate summaries, and knowing the right people to listen to.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
That's not what I meant at all. I appreciate that you're heading the effort, but I'm saying that it would make more sense to delegate the responsibility where fit, rather than having one person do everything.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Whee, doublepost.

I'll be doing point 1 during today. When I'm done with combing through and you know one or more spam threads and still opened, then please tell sasukebowser (since I'd have to tell him that, anyway :p). I already asked him to unsticky the two guides, as well.
Point 2 is completely done by now: We have Matchup, Stage and Secondary discussion going on.
I will bake a cake today so we have Point 4 done, as well.

That means, by today we'll have our overhaul done. If there's some other things you want to add, let me know.

Top Bottom