• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fourth and final community vote about Meta Knight.

Should Meta Knight be banned from competitive Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQTV

Smash Master
no.

They are made up of smash pros.....I guess... [almost]
but how many are in because people keep saying they made the decision on MK meaning this vote does nothing how do they have that much power

the guy above me answers this

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
wow what a waste of a thread
*Sigh*... I hate it when people say this, IT ISN'T THAT BIG OF A WASTE!!

Just the topic...not the thread...

The SBR is made up of Inui and 99 other people that were chosen so Inui doesn't run mad with power and take over the Smashboards universe with his Phoenix Wright images.
This will be added to my sig collection...

Suspect

Smash Hero
the way evey one talks about them makes them seem that way
dont become one of them

the sbr is NOT important, just a bunch of pros and people who think they know everything, separating them selves for the rest of the community basically.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
BBQTV gained over 130 posts by just spamming this thread.

Any ideas as to why they kept this thread open?

BBQTV

Smash Master
I thought SpadeFox said something about there being 100 members or close to that, but it was really an educated guess. Don't take my word for it.
to me it seems like a secret society trying to rule the world

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
spade said 100 are in, about 70 voted/is voting.

The Brigand

Smash Cadet
So... in the end, what's this poll come out to? One vote in favor of banning MK in that other voting thing? Status Quo is God? The poll was completely pointless?

BBQTV

Smash Master
dont become one of them

the sbr is NOT important, just a bunch of pros and people who think they know everything, separating them selves for the rest of the community basically.
sounds like a bunch of nerds

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
It was actually a training exercise to make sure that moderators know how to give out infractions. Any general mod who didn't give out an infraction in this thread got kicked out. That thinned the herd a little bit.
Ether that or they wanted to make us feel like we were actually part of controlling our own metagame (government), it was all rigged so we would feel like we actually had a say in the metaknight discussion while they already had the final decision set in stone.

Or I'm in a conspiracy making mood, both work ^_^

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
Man, my hella **** post just...well, failed to post, because IE is fail. Just as well, it would have falled on deaf ears anyways.

Here's the problem.

You see a number, "Oh look, MK has 25% of all tournament wins out of a possible 36 characters!"

And think it's fact and evidence, and don't look past it. You don't look to realize that

1) 36 characters aren't viable in this game.
2) Other fighting games with healthy competitive metagames have had a top character or characters that surpassed that data.
3) Good players make a vast majority of these rankings, so much so that if you take out just M2K and Tyrant, you'll see a significant drop in the percentage.
4) The percentage varies by region.
5) 25% of wins hardly makes a character broken or overpowering in the first place.

All of those are so obviously irrelevant, because look, numbers!

That's the problem that Clai pointed out. The pro-ban's write-up in the OP is full of emotional appeal, varying from caps lock and bold in certain points, twisting logic and situations that assume that they're already write and various other situations can't exist, and shallow data such as this that only proves that MK has 25% of tournament wins, that is used to somehow correlate to MK being ban-worthy.

1) No characters are viable in this game then?
2) Good thing most people have learned to stop using other fighters as a reference or comparison to smash, sincethere's nothing to be gained from doing this. Interestingly, you proved me right again in that far to many people use bull**** as "points."
3) But not nearly enough to have made a difference. And ou can say that about ANY character-take out Ally's winnings, Lee martin, etc. and you'll see a drop in that respective character's wins.
4) And your point is....? This is for the WHOLE community, not for regions.
5) Yes, yes it does, as this means out of 36 characters, 1 wins 25% of the time, and double the amount of the second place (Snake).

See, the REAL problem is that what YOU percieve as problems aren't at all. People DO consider other things besides the number, it's just that these "other things" are usually wrong or do not effect the point, as you just demonstrated (those 5 bullets you made just got refutd, and changed nothing). There is no logic twisting, you and other just can't see the logic to begin with. I still don't know how 1 out of 36 being a quater better than everyone else doesn't show something disturbing. If there were, say 4 charaters in Brawl, yeah, 25% wouldn't look so bad. But there's 36.

And according to Ankoku's list, that means all of A list combined just equals slightly more than MK. And all of B and the rest don't even come close. I....just can't fathom what disability you posses that makes that not look disturbing.

Craeter

Smash Apprentice
This thread might be the closest thing to a social topic.. in general discussion. :ohwell:
Though at this point it looks just like a bunch of spam.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
dont become one of them

They don't get where they are at for absolutely no reason though...

BBQTV

Smash Master
i just got a point for something i posted like 6 5 or 4 pages ago

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Looking back at this whole debate now...

The only thing that really bothers me is the ignorance/selfishness of the elitist individuals that think the top of the metagame is the only thing that matters. That is FAR from the truth. This is a decision that affects the entire Smash community- not just the players that can consistently place in the money at regional/national tournaments, but also the players that fund those tourneys with their entry fees, which (what do you know?) happens to make up a very, very large majority of the community.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
spadefox has 300 posts in this thread get *****...
BBQTV has over 130 posts in this thread. At least Spade had some good posts.

BBQ's were all garbage.

Interesting way to look at it, Dangr.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Man, my hella **** post just...well, failed to post, because IE is fail. Just as well, it would have falled on deaf ears anyways.

1) No characters are viable in this game then?
I meant that not all 36 characters are viable, and you know this. Way to completely miss the point.

2) Good thing most people have learned to stop using other fighters as a reference or comparison to smash, sincethere's nothing to be gained from doing this. Interestingly, you proved me right again in that far to many people use bull**** as "points."
Again, completely misses the point. Smash is a fighter. Yes, it's pretty drastically different than most as far as gameplay goes, but it is a fighting game, just as all of those other games have fighting games. Other fighting games have match-ups, and tournaments, and competitive metagames, and those can be comparable with some grains of salt. There are characters or groups of characters that are worse than MK in terms of tournament dominance, yet there are still healthy meta-games.

Take Melee for example (you can't argue it's not smash olol now). During MLG days, Marth dominated tournaments far past the point where MK dominates now, I believe that Alphazealot said that 9 out of top 20 used him without secondaries, and 11 out of top 20 used him with secondaries. Yet, as you can see, Melee is a healthy competitive game, as you can see.

3) But not nearly enough to have made a difference. And ou can say that about ANY character-take out Ally's winnings, Lee martin, etc. and you'll see a drop in that respective character's wins.
Good point.

However, what this boils down to then is that top players place well with their respective characters, and there's more top MKs than other mains. For MK, you have most notably M2K, Dojo, Tyrant, and Judge. For a character like DeDeDe, you have Atomsk (who uses other characters as well) and CO18 netting most of the tournament wins.

4) And your point is....? This is for the WHOLE community, not for regions.
It's to show that there's more to look at than just the core number.

5) Yes, yes it does, as this means out of 36 characters, 1 wins 25% of the time, and double the amount of the second place (Snake).
Read 1. You missed the point because you abused poor wording on my part. Not all 36 characters are viable. Also, over the past month:

Ankoku's Ranking List said:
DETAILS
S Rank «Uber» 48.51%
1 Meta Knight (76 top8, 51 top4, 24 top2, 26 wins) - 1691.0
2 Snake (47 top8, 25 top4, 16 top2, 21 wins) - 1114.3
And centralization doesn't mean much if it isn't forced. MK is not the only viable character to place well or win at large tournaments, as shown by Ally, ADHD, Anti, Lain, Anther, Atomsk, CO18, Nick Riddle, Fiction, etc.

See, the REAL problem is that what YOU percieve as problems aren't at all. People DO consider other things besides the number, it's just that these "other things" are usually wrong or do not effect the point, as you just demonstrated (those 5 bullets you made just got refutd, and changed nothing).
Apparently not.

There is no logic twisting, you and other just can't see the logic to begin with. I still don't know how 1 out of 36 being a quater better than everyone else doesn't show something disturbing. If there were, say 4 charaters in Brawl, yeah, 25% wouldn't look so bad. But there's 36.
I still don't know how you can intentionally abuse bad wording on my part, know exactly what I mean by not all 36 characters aren't viable, but ignore it and act as if all 36 characters are equally viable for the remainder of your post.

That small statement has been attacked and refuted countless times in this thread.

And according to Ankoku's list, that means all of A list combined just equals slightly more than MK. And all of B and the rest don't even come close. I....just can't fathom what disability you posses that makes that not look disturbing.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954

Gap between MK and Snake is diminishing, gap between Snake and Falco is increasing.

It doesn't look disturbing because at top tournaments (Apex and Genesis) there's no evidence of MK dominating or overcentralizing. It doesn't look disturbing because the situation, at least in Ankoku's list, has gotten worse and people have been saying that MK would dominate the meta-game, and his gap between Snake has gotten smaller since then and his tournament results are slipping, yet people are still saying the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom