• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For now, set your smash stick to attack/tilts (SSBU)

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Momentum is drained in the air if you use aerials with the cstick using default controls. This is likely an oversight by Nintendo due to how cstick can charge smashes in this game. Since our smashes aren't a key part of our moveset and we lose nothing by using the control stick to use smashes, its almost required for us to set it to tilts to be able to keep control of our character properly.

I hope it gets patched but for now, this is a viable workaround. Not doing this with Jigglypuff is using a bad version of Jiggs imho

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
Momentum is drained in the air if you use aerials with the cstick using default controls. This is likely an oversight by Nintendo due to how cstick can charge smashes in this game. Since our smashes aren't a key part of our moveset and we lose nothing by using the control stick to use smashes, its almost required for us to set it to tilts to be able to keep control of our character properly.

I hope it gets patched but for now, this is a viable workaround. Not doing this with Jigglypuff is using a bad version of Jiggs imho
I thought this was only for the Pro controller? Are Gamecube controllers affected by this as well?

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
I would've done this in a heartbeat if I didn't utilize cstick smash for my other characters. I'll just try to get used to flicking the cstick consistently. It's not hard to do but sometimes I do hold it for longer than I should thus killing my momentum.

Droogaon

Smash Rookie
I don't have the wii-u version of the game yet, but can you turn off c-stick charging?

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
i feel like cstick takes my thumb too far away from home base. i feel more in control when i don't cstick. that's just me though.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I've been playing Smash since Melee came out... Am I the only one who never bothered to use the C-stick ever? Control Stick + A works just as well...

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
yeah same west

Uberlord

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Smash since Melee came out... Am I the only one who never bothered to use the C-stick ever? Control Stick + A works just as well...
C stick didnt charge the smash iirc, and was easier to do than pressing 2 buttons I suppose. Just kinda felt faster using it

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
C-stick is for more than that, and is kind of the point of the thread. If you want back jump fair, forward jump bair, or a wide jump uair/dair, you're going to want to try out the C-stick. It allows movement to be independent from your attacks, which is just a little important for a character who approaches, retreats, weaves, and attacks primarily in the air.

Last edited:

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
you can do all of those things with the control stick and A…

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Well no because if you DI backwards and want to do a fair you will, even for a brief moment, have to stop your DI to input the fair, before resuming DI'ing backwards. It's also harder to be super responsive because your fingers have to move, whereas with a C stick you can attack at any time while also fully focusing on the DI.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
If you can in any way reliably jump backwards, input fair and keep moving backwards the entire time using only the control stick and A, I'll give you a nickel.

Last edited:

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Technically you can use default controls and tap the cstick for aerials and it'll be fine if you have the cstick pressed for like 1-2 frames, but this is too demanding for a character like Puff and opens you up for bad spacing and movement mistakes.

As said above being able to move away and back during Puffs long lasting aerial hitboxes and backair are pivotal to her gameplay.

Droogaon

Smash Rookie
The c-stick is VERY useful for aerial spacing and positioning. I believe using the the c-stick helps set up falling up-airs and wall of pains.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Using Tilts for the c-stick is better anyways, it lets Jigglypuff do cool things like Up tilt from crouching position, so you can immediately punish those who whiff their attacks cause you were crouching.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
hmm, i tried it out and you're right. i just never bothered with it before. i still find myself rarely using it, guess i'll have to practice. any practical application for back jumping fair? i'd probably just nair instead. forward jumping bair is by far it's best application and the only one i'm really using it for haha. crouch to up tilt sounds promising but if i've crouched something i'd probably just crouch to rest.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Here's the big question: Does changing the C-Stick to tilts from smashes effect Smash DI?

Because if tilt c-stick takes away some of your survivability, then it becomes a difficult choice. With the Rage mechanic increasing knockback especially.

Does anyone know if this changes DI? If not, is anyone able to test it out?

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
Here's the big question: Does changing the C-Stick to tilts from smashes effect Smash DI?

Because if tilt c-stick takes away some of your survivability, then it becomes a difficult choice. With the Rage mechanic increasing knockback especially.

Does anyone know if this changes DI? If not, is anyone able to test it out?

I would like to know this as well, great point that he brings up here.

Tetz

Smash Cadet
NNID
tetzyeah
Well I havn't noticed any diffrence so far. IMO I feel like my DI got better since I changed the C-Stick to Tilts lol.
Smash DI has been nerfed anyways, so I wouldn't say it matters.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
update: i don't use my cstick at all still lol. maybe it's just a hard habit to get into but i find it's usefulness very limited. not to say it's not useful, but i seldom find myself in scenarios where it will be useful. i have had my stick set to tilt because of the loss of momentum but if you just tap the stick you don't lose the momentum anyway, so i'm setting it back to smash. it can actually be useful to stop your momentum and for other characters, cstick is amazing for pivot smashes and such.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Well I havn't noticed any diffrence so far. IMO I feel like my DI got better since I changed the C-Stick to Tilts lol.
Smash DI has been nerfed anyways, so I wouldn't say it matters.
Alright, good to know. I think we're going to need a few more personal accounts or for someone to dig deep into testing. Getting better might just be due to your personal skill increasing, making it hard to be conclusive. Though if tilts actually improve DI then it's pretty much a clear choice for puffs.

As for it not mattering, I have to disagree. Obviously it depends on the level of difference the switch makes, but now that knockback is increased as you get more and more damaged, I feel small edges in Smash DI is more important than it ever was.

I use the Wiimote and nunchuk so this doesn't apply to me right? It doesn't have a c stick

This is something else I'd like to know. Back in Brawl, you could set the control pad on the WiiChuck to smashes by putting the right smash on each direction (this was my set-up). But they changed how it works in Smash 4, so I'm not sure you can do that or not. I've been considering switching back (it's comfy for me and in Brawl it gave you up to 40% better DI) but not if you can't set tilts/smashes to the control pad.

Roy Renard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2716-4113
When I first played Smash Wii U, this was one of the first things I did, since I saw a video from ZeRo that warned about this problem; however, when setting the C-stick to Attack, my characters would often do some weird aerials that I didn't intend to do. I don't remember very well, but I can swear my characters sometimes did n-airs when hitting the C-stick left or right in the air, so I just ended up reverting to the Smash Attack C-stick. Has anyone else had this problem?

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Very diagonal inputs do nair. You just have to be fairly-ish precise in direction, which is obviously easier with GC (i.e. hooray notches) than the Pro, for example.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
For aerials I just always use control stick + a

It's just more convenient.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
by the way, i think the other instance is which using cstick is helpful for aerials is when you want to use a dair without fastfalling so you don't kill yourself, like with falco's for instance xD it works better with tilts on c stick but is just fine with smash as well.

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
What about your fast falled Uair to rest krono ?

I havn't been playing much but i feel like tilting the cstick for aerials is not that hard to perform...
(I found out this while playing, i used cstick to dair and found puff stopping in the air, kinda like the new pound is compared to brawl. I was kinda upset thinking they had completely removed the horizontal momentum :D)

Top Bottom