• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

For Glory Tier List

aquaticpineapples

Smash Apprentice
Here's to y'all who own the game and love playing it, but dont have the time or money to be a competitive player and get stuck playing online For Glory. We're going to be creating a tier list for For Glory only, meaning that there are:

NO custom moves
NO Miis
ONLY Omega Stages
LOTS of lag

Basically, we will just take the community voted tier list and make minor adjustments to it, to fit the above conditions. We will do exactly what was done in phase 1 of that thread, vote a character up or down a tier to change its tier position and if it gets enough +1 or -1 votes, it will move. You can only vote for a maximum of 3 characters. There will be 5 voting periods, each is 6 days. After the 5 periods the list will be finalized.

Here is the list:
S :4diddy::4villager:
A:4pikachu::4sonic::4yoshi: :4sheik::4zss::rosalina::4luigi::4falcon::4mario::4lucario::4peach:
B :4shulk::4megaman::4link::4tlink::4wario:
C :4ness::4fox::4kirby::4greninja:
D :4robinm::4olimar::4rob: :4pit: :4pacman::4littlemac:
E:4myfriends::4duckhunt::4bowser: :4jigglypuff: :4darkpit::4lucina::4samus::4metaknight:
F :4falco::4zelda::4marth::4ganondorf::4bowserjr::4dedede::4dk:
G:4wiifit::4drmario::4gaw: :4palutena: :4charizard:

Example vote:

Link +1, Bowser Jr +1, Ike -1.

Remember that you are only voting characters up or down to adjust their positions according to the For Glory rules, not because you disagree with their current tier placement in competitive play.

Voting starts now

Last edited:

Manta

Smash Cadet
:4sheik:-1:4diddy:-1:4fox:-1

All these characters rely on quick, precise input. Lag kills them.

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
:4sheik:-1 Sheik relies on quick input. Lag makes her terrible in for glory. I can do well in tournaments with sheik, but online is a bit of a hassle.

:4shulk: + 1 With lag it's much harder to punish he landing lag on most of his ariels making him a much safer character.

:4littlemac: + 1 Still a character with way too many weaknesses to be viable, but the absence of platforms definitely raises him at least 1 tier.

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
With LOTS of lag (slideshow mode or input lag on your opponent) everyone could be bumped up to S tier

waddicto

Smash Rookie
NNID
waddicto
:4lucina:+1:4marth:-1
It is an absolute nightmare to space under lag, especially input lag.
With Lucina you can at least be a bit more carefree and not totally throw a match because you were half an inch away from the tipper.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
:4ness: -1 Recovery in lag is completely useless.
:4jigglypuff: - 1 It's absolutely horrid trying to get a rest in lag, very hard to punish in general.
:4wario2: + 1 Dominates in the lagging environment, near perfect approach options, recovery is highly versatile.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
:4littlemac:+1 Still has a million weaknesses, but without platform camping to shut him down entirely, he becomes a viable character. C-stick smashes that kill at 60% can be hard to avoid in lag.
:4villager:+1 Lloid can eventually cover all the stage, meaning that there's no reason not to have it up. In addition, his enemies have no extra routes of recovery, and have to go for the ledge almost every time. He loses bowling ball shenanigans, but oh well.
:4megaman:+(900)1 The spam. THE SPAAAAAM! In all seriousness, you can shut down half of the characters, while only a few shut you down.

aquaticpineapples

Smash Apprentice
Tiers have been updated, I'm also changing the voting periods from 10 periods of 3 to 5 periods of 6. Next voting period starts now.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
:4villager:+1 for the same reasons. Literally, you can have a gyroid at all times, and you don't need to care about it, just punish them for reflecting/ rolling, taking it /shielding/ jumping.
:4ness:-1 PK THUNDAA!!! Good luck getting back on stage under lag.
:4ganondorf: -1 What is approach? I do not know, because I am taking 100% and getting killed before I can get in. Dark Lord Ganondork indeed.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I don't really understand how lag could make any player better, but oh well.

:4kirby:+1:4pikachu:+1:4yoshi:+1
It's not that it makes players better, it just makes some characters a lot more effective. Generally the ones with high startup lag and generous hitboxes on their attacks; attacks you could shield on reaction offline, but get hit by online because of the input lag when trying to put up your shield. Oh, and rolling is a lot harder to punish.

So with that in mind...

:4lucario:+1: Slow kill moves, but he'll hit them a lot more often with lag on his side. Aura is the icing on the cake. Online makes it a lot easier for Lucario to BS his way to victory. His rolls are very good too, and with lag + no platforms it can be an absolute nightmare to avoid Aura Sphere (which kills when Luario's aura is high enough).
:4dedede:+1: Reflecting Gordos becomes a total pain and D3 has tons of powerful attacks that get a lot scarier with lag. Some of them are SO slow that even lag can't help (such as Dash Attack and Fsmash) but in general he's got lots of lasting hitboxes and has an easier time camping.
:4greninja:-1: The hitboxes on his attacks are all really precise, meaning lag screws them over totally. He just doesn't benefit from For Glory conditions in any way really, other than being able to outcamp some characters more easily due to no platforms (even then, he loses access to using platforms to extend his Up Throw -> Uair combos).

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
:4link:/:4tlink:+1 The lack of platforms give the two an edge. Hitting arrows, boomerangs and bombs are more easy with no platforms. They can still kill decently even during lag.
:4marth:-1 Hitting the tipper under lag can hurt. Its also harder for him to go under certain stages under lag. Lucina would clearly do better in this environment with out the need of a tipper.
:4littlemac:+1 No platforms, lag and kill moves is the reason Little Macs roams free in the wild for glory forest.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
:4bowserjr:+1
Side B Jump Cancels, if you do them at ANY point, even just for recovery (makes surviving Lylat Cruise and Pyrosphere Omegas so much easier), will make you over 50% better than other Jr players that never do it. Keeping track of available jumps (including the Side B Jump Cancel) may be tricky, but you're generally coming back to the stage unless someone reads your return angle with a spike or catches you during your Up B with a weak hit like :4sheik:'s NAir or :4fox:'s Jab (not even pressing the airdodge button will save you if THOSE moves hit).
Punishing his Side B is surprisingly hard during lag, due to its speed and safety (he can JC out of it at practically any point if he sees a counterattack coming). Punishing with his Side B, conversely, is surprisingly easy, and the payoff's pretty big (at 85-105%, it combos into Up B --> A (Hammer) for the KO!). Depending on how much you use Side B JCs, he might be a mid-to-high level execution character.

He shines in FG Teams, due to his versatility in roles that can rival the Mario Brothers. Paired with someone with low KO power but high damage building power? Jr will lead the team in KOs with Side B JCs. Paired with a strong KO-er? Jr will support with Mechas and Cannonballs.
He's great at protecting his allies. Side B (JCs) lets him reach opponents pretty quickly, and Mechas & Cannonballs cover his partners very well.
His excellent recovery lets him go deep off-stage for the edgeguards, even without walls. Thus, he can help relatively grounded allies (ex. :4littlemac:, :4link:, :4drmario:) secure KOs when their Smashes fail to seal the deal.

:4duckhunt:+1
Traversing though his advancing or retreating (possibly even stationary, depending on positioning and MU) wall of projectiles as a character that struggles with handling projectiles as it is (ex. :4ganondorf:, :4bowser:, :4charizard:, etc.), is a total pain. *Recalls vivid footage of ChrisG's Morrigan/Doom/Vergil team in UMVC3 walling out folks for entire rounds, complete with Astral Visions, "SOUL FIST! x??" and "Hidden Missiles!" XD;*
Especially when he gets an ally like :4megaman:, :4gaw:, or :4samus: in FG Teams to help fortify it.
Sure, KO-ing is even harder than it already is, but eventually, your projectiles will either KO by themselves, or set you up for a KO move like UAir, sweetspot NAir, or BAir. He's a low execution character, unless you're moving either with or away from the Can while air attacking pretty often, which may make him a mid-execution character.

Much like Jr, he really shines in FG Teams, due to the likely potential of being paired with someone with strong KO-ing power (ex. :4dedede:, :4myfriends:, :4dk:, etc.) that benefits greatly from DH's cover fire (not so much Cans, but Gunmen and Clays, definitely).
However, when paired with someone with low KO power (:4pikachu:, :4sheik:, another :4duckhunt:, etc.), he WILL have to get in to score those KOs, and a DH that doesn't recognize the need for himself to do so is a team that's going to lose.
He is also fantastic at protecting his allies from getting KO'd, particularly when projectiles and approach moves are involved. His Gunmen, Clays, and Cans are excellent for warding off projectiles like those from :4lucario:, :4samus:, :4robinf: (except Thoron, but he can :GCD:, crawl and DTilt under that. :troll:), etc. Even approach moves like the Side B moves of :4falcon:, :4charizard: (especially his!), :4peach:, :4myfriends:, and others can be blocked with his projectiles.
If given a walled Omega stage like Wii Fit Studio or Nintendogs, he can go surprisingly deep for the edgeguards, even when the opponent successfully dodges the Can, because he can wall-jump. :o

:4wiifit:+1
Her range may be terrible, but if she does land anything, it's going to hurt. Especially if she lands both hits of her NAir (14%!). Aside from Down B timing, mashing Up B, and shorthop Side B, she's a relatively low-execution character with good overall movement speed.

In FG Teams, she's capable of both Guilty Gear!Jam-styled rushdown (featuring Deep Breathing that can help score KOs, and she's even got Neutral B and Side B to cover her team's approaches) and a surprisingly effective camping style with Headers and uncharged Sun Salutations at the edges if given a partner that can occupy the other team. Several of her moves hit on both sides of her, allowing her to fight upclose on 2 fronts and even handle getting surrounded better than others.
Much like DH, if given a walled Omega stage like Wii Fit Studio or Nintendogs, he/she can go surprisingly deep for the edgeguards, due to wall-jumping abilities.

All 3 benefit tremendously from friendly fire being off, and all 3 are absolute beasts to face during Sudden Death, should you venture out to FFA or Teams, where SD is a surprisingly frequent occurrence. Jr's Mechakoopa KOs, whether thrown or walked up to you. A raw Side B KOs, and he can STILL JC afterwards for virtually any aerial that also KOs. All of his ground moves KO, even his 4-frame DTilt, which WILL catch spotdodges. :108: Thus, he can and will chase you all over the stage.

DH can slowly but surely encapsulate you to the edges with all of his projectiles that can KO at that point, even Gunmen (if its Sombrero or Brown Coat). Even if you break through all that, you've got DH's disjointed aerials (not including NAir, but its sourspot does KO) and Tilts to contend with.

Virtually every single one of WFT's moves, aside from Down B, NAir's 1st hit, Jab's 1st two hits, and uncharged Neutral B, KOs! Including the Soccer Ball and Up B.

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
There's mainly two things that change on For Glory:
- More lag: this means characters who rely on precise inputs, or combo-heavy characters have a harder time doing their things, while rushdown characters have an easier time to just go in, since it's harder to react on time.
- No platforms: advantages certain characters more than others, because it gives less defensive options.
I'm still taking lack of customs in consideration though.

With that said, I'd vote for the following:

:4sonic:+1
Definitely the best character online. The lag just makes it plain dumb to play (both with and against).

:4link:+1
Spam is good online, and Link is more than capable of doing it. However, unlike other zoners, his melee attacks are really strong, so if you get hit by them you could die early. The lag makes it harder to go in/dodge projectiles, and the lack of platforms simply makes zoning easier for Link.

:4littlemac:+1
For obvious reasons. No platforms is extremely favorable to him, and he's a fast hit-and-run character, like Sonic. He's still not a good charater, but he sure is better on FG.

I disagree with many of the initial list's placements, so it's hard to only choose three. For example, I don't think Diddy is top 1 anyway, and FG doesn't really add anything to his gameplay. I'd put Olimar and Pac higher, too, amongst other things, and take certain characters like Sheik or Ness down. But since we can only vote on three, I chose the three above.

Also, even though I voted (for fun), I'm strongly against community driven tier lists, because anyone can vote. I don't see this one/the one we took to modify it as serious tier lists. I support elitism in video game rules / banlists / tierlists / these kind of things. The discussion seems to be going well right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the topics gets locked eventually.

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
:4villager:+1 His upB is harder to punish, his Fsmash when edgeguading is a nightmare on vertical wall stages, and it's super tricky to punish his moves (it was already hard enough without lag)
:4yoshi:+1 I feel like he can just mash buttons and still be super hard to punish.
:4zelda:-1 It's super hard to hit Fair and Bair, because on the 3ds stick mainly, I admit, but also because of lag. But the worst is the upB as a kill move. Usually, you can input upB on the ground, and then choose if you go up (if you gonna hit) or on the side, but with lag it's really tricky, and most of the time impossible. Instead of a fairly safe kill move you have a really risky one.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
:4kirby:+1 His quick attacks and very small so siectually make him a considerable annoyance :p he is actually good thought and I think it's mostly acurate that he is pretty much mid.
:4fox:-1 All he has is speed, and I m pure lag does affects that, plus he does have some noticeable disadvantages anyways.
:4peach:+1 Very good character who has very few tough MUs and is an amazing character overall. Platforms mostly hurts her Uair though :/

DEDEDEDEDEDE

Banned via Warnings
NNID
MNH003
3DS FC
5300-9013-9670
:4lucina:+1 Very underrated. Doesn't suffer when lag hits.
:4ness:-1 Horrendous recovery.
:4kirby:+1 Wide variation of moves. Can take people by surprise.
:4metaknight:-1 Most of his moves end up in suicide. Never won with him and never lost to him in about 15-20 games. My Win rate is 20% BTW.
:4link: & :4tlink: +1.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
:4mario:+1 I swear you can't punish him online. I've seen people throw out three down smashes in a row. That's ridiculous.
:4ness: -1 Don't get thrown offstage.
:4fox: -1 More of a personal gripe, but Fox is a character that requires precision. Kinda hard to be precise online.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Zelda +1 She is surprisingly good, trust me she has her faults, but she isn't as bad as you think.
Pikachu -1 Its easy to avoid his attacks and his thunder and most of his other moves are very predictable, he can barely combo.
DDD +1 he is such a PAIN if the opponent is good with him, he is so rediculous.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
:4villager:+1 I honestly think he's S material. If you're on an FDlike stage, bair them when they're offstage. Walled, fsmash. Is like Luigi's Mansion? Do whatever (except fsmash). The Lloids force you to take an easily punishable action, and the sling shots are hard to avoid. And All this in lag. my sides are hurting now.

:4sonic:+1 Oh my god. This guy is insane, you could win a fight by spamming Spin attack and simply Jump canceling on shield canceling it. He can rush you down in under 1/4 a second, do 36% with one attack over and over, kill you at 100%, and easily stage spike you.

:4marth:-1 Yeah, you're never landing a tipper in lag. I don't need another reason othr than that. Your moves are all unsafe s f*** on shield or even HIT, they don't have to respect your "kill at 60%" smash, and you aren't gimping except with Dolphin Slash.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I see a lot of people giving Ness flak for having bad recovery.
From my experience, sending him at a 45° angle isn't hard, even under lag, however any other angle is a nightmare. So I'll try to recover when that angle is opportune.

So, +1:4ness:, I guess.

Top Bottom