• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstool -> Nair findings (Nairstooling?)

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Premise
As a disclaimer, I don't claim to be the first one to discover this, but I discovered it on my own. During my research I did find some tidbits on this:

I found a post within the big thread briefly mentioning it:
Pac Attack - Advanced Techniques and Strategy Guide
and Lil Mac shenanigans:
https://vine.co/v/OHWZg1lTFOu

In short, footstool follow-ups are nothing new, but certain characters can really make the most out of them. Pac is no exception, and as mentioned in the post linked above, it's using the footstool -> nair (nairstooling?). Furthermore, there is not much research on exactly how to consistently maximize this technique. So here are the results of my findings (all testing done in training mode, neutral standing dummy):

How to:
1. Perform footstool
2. Immediately Nair (sliding the button input makes this easier)
3. Works on both grounded and airborne opponents

Controlling opponent trajectory:
With the exception of a few characters, you can actually control the direction you send them. Here's how:
  • After the nairstool, DI the direction opposite you want them to fly towards i.e., if you want to send an opponent forward, DI away immediately after the nairstool
  • A footstool -> hydrant follows the same behavior of trajectory, again with some character specific exceptions.
  • A footstool -> z-dropped fruit will send the opponent the direction Pacman is facing.
I am 99% certain you cannot DI while being footstooled, so if you perform it correctly this should always be consistent. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Applications:
Another kill option! - nair stooling is an easy way to hit confirm that coveted sweetspot nair which is a great KO move
Adds to Pacman's already extensive mix-up game :estatic: - common approaches like short hop fair can now have a safer follow up into footstool, or platform drop to nairstool. Empty shorthops into grabs are pretty unsafe due to our laggy grab, so perhaps an empty shorthop into footstool is a safer option.

Character specifics:
Nairstool with controllable trajectory always works on:
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Yoshi
  • Rosalina (separates Rosaluma)
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Wario
  • G&W
  • DK
  • Shiek
  • Toon Link
  • Samus
  • Zamus
  • Palutena
  • Marth
  • Ike
  • Robin
  • Kirby
  • King Dedede
  • Metaknight
  • Fox
  • Falco
  • Charizard
  • Duck Hunt
  • C. Falcon
  • Villager
  • Dr. Mario
  • Dark Pit
  • Lucina
  • Pacman
  • Megaman
Unique cases/character specific behavior:
  • Peach, Link, Ganon, Lucario, Jiggs, Shulk - nairstool only works on second consecutive footstool
  • Robin - you must use a neutral (non-DI'd) nairstool to send Robin backwards (rather than the typical forward DI'd nairstool which sends most of the cast behind you)
  • Lil Mac - he always flies the direction opposite he is facing, regardless of how you DI your nairstool. This can allow for some easy followups if you DI forward after nair-stool at low/mid percents.
  • Pikachu - really strange behavior, the most consistent approach appears to be to always DI nairstool away (sending pika forward)
  • Ness - only DI away works, meaning you must DI nairstool the direction that Ness is facing
  • Mii's - behavior varies wildly, but seems to be easier (i.e. first footstool possible) on shorter Mii's.
Characters completely immune to nairstooling (probably best to use hydrant/z-drop follow-up)
  • Diddy
  • Zelda
  • Olimar
  • Wii Fit Trainer

Misc thoughts:
  • As I said, this tactic isn't foreign, but for characters with moves who can capitalize on footstool follow-ups, it can be a powerful tool. My testing found this works with villager's nair too, but I did not do as comprehensive research on that. It probably works with other characters and other moves.
  • I've only just came back from the lab with all this info, so I haven't put it into practice yet. Any feedback and such is appreciated. I'm happy to contribute to such a helpful board. Best of luck and wakwakawaka on!

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Premise
As a disclaimer, I don't claim to be the first one to discover this, but I discovered it on my own. During my research I did find some tidbits on this:

I found a post within the big thread briefly mentioning it:
Pac Attack - Advanced Techniques and Strategy Guide
and Lil Mac shenanigans:
https://vine.co/v/OHWZg1lTFOu

In short, footstool follow-ups are nothing new, but certain characters can really make the most out of them. Pac is no exception, and as mentioned in the post linked above, it's using the footstool -> nair (nairstooling?). Furthermore, there is not much research on exactly how to consistently maximize this technique. So here are the results of my findings (all testing done in training mode, neutral standing dummy):

How to:
1. Perform footstool
2. Immediately Nair (sliding the button input makes this easier)
3. Works on both grounded and airborne opponents

Controlling opponent trajectory:
With the exception of a few characters, you can actually control the direction you send them. Here's how:
  • After the nairstool, DI the direction opposite you want them to fly towards i.e., if you want to send an opponent forward, DI away immediately after the nairstool
  • A footstool -> hydrant follows the same behavior of trajectory, again with some character specific exceptions.
  • A footstool -> z-dropped fruit will send the opponent the direction Pacman is facing.
I am 99% certain you cannot DI while being footstooled, so if you perform it correctly this should always be consistent. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Applications:
Another kill option! - nair stooling is an easy way to hit confirm that coveted sweetspot nair which is a great KO move
Footstool through shields! - Strong alternative to grab as a response to shielding, coupled with the fact that it can overwhelm defensive play (which is typically what an opponent at high percent is doing trying to avoid your kill moves)
Adds to Pacman's already extensive mix-up game :estatic: - common approaches like short hop fair can now have a safer follow up into footstool, or platform drop to nairstool. Empty shorthops into grabs are pretty unsafe due to our laggy grab, so perhaps an empty shorthop into footstool is a safer option.

Character specifics:
Nairstool with controllable trajectory always works on:
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • Yoshi
  • Rosalina (separates Rosaluma)
  • Bowser Jr.
  • Wario
  • G&W
  • DK
  • Shiek
  • Toon Link
  • Samus
  • Zamus
  • Palutena
  • Marth
  • Ike
  • Robin
  • Kirby
  • King Dedede
  • Metaknight
  • Fox
  • Falco
  • Charizard
  • Duck Hunt
  • C. Falcon
  • Villager
  • Dr. Mario
  • Dark Pit
  • Lucina
  • Pacman
  • Megaman
Unique cases/character specific behavior:
  • Peach, Link, Ganon, Lucario, Jiggs, Shulk - nairstool only works on second consecutive footstool
  • Robin - you must use a neutral (non-DI'd) nairstool to send Robin backwards (rather than the typical forward DI'd nairstool which sends most of the cast behind you)
  • Lil Mac - he always flies the direction opposite he is facing, regardless of how you DI your nairstool. This can allow for some easy followups if you DI forward after nair-stool at low/mid percents.
  • Pikachu - really strange behavior, the most consistent approach appears to be to always DI nairstool away (sending pika forward)
  • Ness - only DI away works, meaning you must DI nairstool the direction that Ness is facing
  • Mii's - behavior varies wildly, but seems to be easier (i.e. first footstool possible) on shorter Mii's.
Characters completely immune to nairstooling (probably best to use hydrant/z-drop follow-up)
  • Diddy
  • Zelda
  • Olimar
  • Wii Fit Trainer

Misc thoughts:
  • As I said, this tactic isn't foreign, but for characters with moves who can capitalize on footstool follow-ups, it can be a powerful tool. My testing found this works with villager's nair too, but I did not do as comprehensive research on that. It probably works with other characters and other moves.
  • I've only just came back from the lab with all this info, so I haven't put it into practice yet. Any feedback and such is appreciated. I'm happy to contribute to such a helpful board. Best of luck and wakwakawaka on!
Did not know that you can control the opponent's trajectory with this...

Awesome find! This looks amazing!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Footstooling does not actually drop shields. That animation where you bounce off their head only occurs if they dropped shield.

That said, I'm not sure, but footstooling people out of shields *might* be possible if their shield doesn't cover their head, in which case this is super useful again. I'll need to test that but it's a long shot.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I went and tried it with some of the bigger cast, bowser, DK, and even with the shield near breaking it still won't footstool them.

Thanks for clearing up my misconception. I will edit that out.

Top Bottom