• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstool into Jab Lock combos will shape the Meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice
People are actually complaining about this?
Okay one, footstool jab lock is intentional in this game, devs actively changed it from potentially infinite locks in brawl and limited it to 3 in smash 4, there is no doubt they know about this, it's nothing broken at all.
Second, if an opponent with that bad a neutral game can get hit by a full hop Ganon dair DURING neutral, and the Ganon player is skilled enough to pull it off and knowledgeable enough to know the percent it works on, Ganon deserves to be rewarded and the opponent deserves to lose that stock.
Third, you guys are over-exaggerating how useful it will be, this is very situational and dependent a lot of factors including percent from BOTH players and DI
While I do agree with what you said I'm not sure you realize that Meta Knight can begin his strings from either a forward throw, back throw, or dash attack and Greninja from a Neutral Air or Up Tilt. Ganon's spike is techable so I personally don't think we'll see a whole lot of his combos during a match, but with enough practice both Greninja and Meta Knight will have a much easier time pulling this off in every match.

Last edited:

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
While I do agree with what you said I'm not sure you realize that Meta Knight can begin his strings from either a forward throw, back throw, or dash attack and Greninja from a Neutral Air or Up Tilt. Ganon's spike is techable so I personally don't think we'll see a whole lot of his combos during a match, but with enough practice both Greninja and Meta Knight will have a much easier time pulling this off in every match.
Again, these were all against computer players in training mode when they were both at a certain percentage while they were just set on "stand" no less. The opportunity will not present itself that easily in an actual match. DI'ing away from the throw follow up or down and left towards the ground to tech are escape tools. As for greninja, have you seen Amsa pull off any of those combos at APEX at all? Only one uair semi-spike against MVD. Again to reiterate, these are hard to perform on a human player

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice
Again, these were all against computer players in training mode when they were both at a certain percentage while they were just set on "stand" no less. The opportunity will not present itself that easily in an actual match. DI'ing away from the throw follow up or down and left towards the ground to tech are escape tools. As for greninja, have you seen Amsa pull off any of those combos at APEX at all? Only one uair semi-spike against MVD. Again to reiterate, these are hard to perform on a human player
True, but as people get better at the game this could change. No one was perform pillar combos in melee in the first year.

Last edited:

Zeiah92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeiah92
As a Robin main, i'm sad that Robin doesn't have a move that can cause a jab lock. I did find that footstools were interesting in doing combos and I tried doing stuff with robin (so far Arc Fire into footstool at low percent, followed by book drop and then fair) but I dont know what else I can do

Last edited:

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
True, but as people get better at the game this could change. No one was perform pillar combos in melee in the first year.
True, it won't dictate the meta but it sure does make the game more watchable for some audiences. As people get better, others will find a way to get better defending from it too. Pretty sure this can work with any character with a sex kick so I'm testing that out
As a Robin main, i'm sad that Robin doesn't have a move that can cause a jab lock. I did find that footstools were interesting in doing combos and I tried doing stuff with robin (so far Arc Fire into footstool at low percent, followed by book drop and then fair) but I dont know what else I can do
Try fast fall dair at low percent

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice
Just uploaded some possible footstool chains with my main Link. Though they may or may not be guaranteed, the option is still there to take advantage of. I'm hoping others will hit the lab and find some opportunities with footstooling as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Jqmtz7N9Y&feature=youtu.be
This is great dude. Like you said I'm not sure all of them are guaranteed but it definitely shows potential. Keep at it.

Last edited:

Zeiah92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeiah92

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
We should start making a list of characters and their moves that can combo (as in, there's enough hitstun) into Footstool > Jab lock or just a general Footstool > attack
Useful information about Footstools
  • You can footstool opponents in hitlag(Item > Footstool) and hitstun (so it's possible to combo into a footstool)
  • You can Full Hop or Short Fop Footstools
  • Remember successive Footstools are 50% of the height of the previous. Notation for primary, secondary, etc. footstools is as follows (1°, 2°, 3°)
  • If you Buffer a Footstool, for whatever reasons it will always be short hopped. unless the following:
  • It will force a Full Hop Footstool if you footstool your opponent when they are doing an action that cannot be interrupted with a footstool, like attacking.
I'll have to test if the greninja 1° Footstool > Bair is a true jab lock combo

Megaman: 2° footstool > Lemons =Jab lock
Leafshield > 1° footstool > Zdrop Metalblade > 2° footstool > Lemons
Zdrop > Zcatch > 1° Footstool (during hitlag) > Zdrop > 2° footstool > Lemons
Its possible to recatch the metalblade, and get a Zdrop Metalblade off the forced neutral getup.
So it is possible to continously repeat this combo until the Metalblade disappears

Link: Jab lock= 2° Footstool > Nair (sour spot)
1° footstool > Buffered Zdrop Bomb (Zair does not come out) > 2° Footstool > Nair

These are some guaranteed Footstool > Jab locks I've found

Many characters can 2° Footstool > Jab lock, but very few can actually combo 2 consecutive Footstools.
Diddy can straight up Uair > 1° Footstool > Uair > 2° Footstool Bowser and Donkey kong, but can only Jab lock with a low percent Ftilt.

Last edited:

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice
We should start making a list of characters and their moves that can combo (as in, there's enough hitstun) into Footstool > Jab lock or just a general Footstool > attack
  • You can footstool opponents in hitlag(Item > Footstool) and hitstun (so it's possible to combo into a footstool)
  • Remember successive Footstools are 50% of the height of the previous. Notation for primary, secondary, etc. footstools is as follows (1°, 2°, 3°)
  • If you Buffer a Footstool, for whatever reasons it will always be short hopped. unless the following:
  • It will force a Full Hop Footstool if you footstool your opponent when they are doing an action that cannot be interrupted with a footstool, like attacking.

Its possible to recatch the metalblade, and get a Zdrop Metalblade off the forced neutral getup.
So it is possible to continously repeat this combo until the Metalblade disappears

1° footstool > Zdrop Bomb > 2° Footstool > Nair

Many characters can 2° Footstool > Jab lock, but very few can actually combo 2 consecutive Footstools.
Diddy can straight up Uair > 1° Footstool > Uair > 2° Footstool Bowser and Donkey kong, but can only Jab lock with a low percent Ftilt.
Good stuff. I'll update the OP when a little more is added.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I'm fairly neutral to all of this. It's possible but likely very hard since a lot of players don't go for empty hops and if they do and they see the other player approaching, they'll either Air dodge or throw out an attack.

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice
I'm fairly neutral to all of this. It's possible but likely very hard since a lot of players don't go for empty hops and if they do and they see the other player approaching, they'll either Air dodge or throw out an attack.
A lot of these combos begin with grabs or simple tilts. Once players have more experience with this they are going to try to convert their advantages into these combos since the reward is pretty substantial. For characters that have easier setups(like throws or tilts) getting a Footstool into Jab Lock is definitely going to be a part of their gameplan once mastered.

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
A lot of these combos begin with grabs or simple tilts. Once players have more experience with this they are going to try to convert their advantages into these combos since the reward is pretty substantial. For characters that have easier setups(like throws or tilts) getting a Footstool into Jab Lock is definitely going to be a part of their gameplan once mastered.
Hm, alright. I'm just saying that while I do see this being useful, it may not be as meta changing as it looks? IDK, it's definitely possible though.

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Did I do it right? Mess with :4dk: a bit and this is what I came up with.

Edit: Actually, does are not Footstools into jab reset... More like regular jab resets and a jab reset into a footstool for the last one... Aahh don't hate me guys :(

Last edited:

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
I don't quite know about "[shaping] the meta", but these kind of combos need to be used more. They'll help matches move faster, as well as generate more hype.

I remember watching that Greninja combo video and wondering why I didn't see more Greninja players doing that kind of stuff.

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice
Did I do it right? Mess with :4dk: a bit and this is what I came up with.

Edit: Actually, does are not Footstools into jab reset... More like regular jab resets and a jab reset into a footstool for the last one... Aahh don't hate me guys :(
This is fantastic and cool points for the music. It's true that your opponent can avoid everything if they tech, but just imagine that you used a Footstool into Jab Lock to start each combo instead of Nair and you've got something really special going on. I really like the last combo because it's a 40% to death combo that was really hype and didn't require the Punch.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff. I'll update the OP when a little more is added.
I don't think there are many True Footstool > Jab Reset combos. Where megaman is the only character that can True Combo 2 consecutive Footstools and Link where he start off the combo with a Footstool.

I'd think Footstool > guaranteed followup is more appropriate if you wanted to make a list.
Pretty Much any character with a Stall-then-Fall attack that cancel vertical momentum like Falcon Kick, Warlock Kick, ZZS Dair, Greninja Dair, etc. can Combo off a 1°Footstool.
Also some characters have a short enough jump and fast enough fast fall enough attack to hit them during the techable landing, but is not a move that can Jab Lock.

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice
I don't think there are many True Footstool > Jab Reset combos. Where megaman is the only character that can True Combo 2 consecutive Footstools and Link where he start off the combo with a Footstool.

I'd think Footstool > guaranteed followup is more appropriate if you wanted to make a list.
Pretty Much any character with a Stall-then-Fall attack that cancel vertical momentum like Falcon Kick, Warlock Kick, ZZS Dair, Greninja Dair, etc. can Combo off a 1°Footstool.
Also some characters have a short enough jump and fast enough fast fall enough attack to hit them during the techable landing, but is not a move that can Jab Lock.
Okay.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
This is fantastic and cool points for the music. It's true that your opponent can avoid everything if they tech, but just imagine that you used a Footstool into Jab Lock to start each combo instead of Nair and you've got something really special going on. I really like the last combo because it's a 40% to death combo that was really hype and didn't require the Punch.
DK has no guaranteed options to Jab Lock off 1° Footstool(Generally you need to cancel your vertical momentum) or even 2° Footstool (generally to Jab lock off off a secondary Footstool you need an aerial that can Jab Lock, even his jab would be too slow).

I think his custom side-B Jumping Headbutt cancels vertical momentum though

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice
DK has no guaranteed options to Jab Lock off 1° Footstool(Generally you need to cancel your vertical momentum) or even 2° Footstool (generally to Jab lock off off a secondary Footstool you need an aerial that can Jab Lock, even his jab would be too slow).

Hmm, that's too bad. At least DK users will be weary of the advantage they can gain when they throw out a nair that's unteched.

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice

Just tested it with the custom Side-B. You CAN start a jab lock with it after a footstole, but there is so much lag that your opponent will be able to get up and shield/ escape before youcan follow up with anything :(

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I really like the idea of more true combos in smash 4. however i also despise the possibility of 0-death true combos. if i wanted to get killed in one move leading to getting hopelessly combo'd forever untill my character croaks i'd play mvc3 or some other crap.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I really like the idea of more true combos in smash 4. however i also despise the possibility of 0-death true combos. if i wanted to get killed in one move leading to getting hopelessly combo'd forever untill my character croaks i'd play mvc3 or some other crap.
Only Megaman has one that can possibly 0-death and even his is up to RNG as metal blade has a chance to disappear.
The hit confirm for Megaman's is practical (Leafshield hit confirm+ MetalBlade in hand), but the execution is very precise and dynamic (react to DI, though this isn't even the hard part).
The timing for Leafshield > ground Footstool > Zdrop is character dependent, and Zdrop > Zcatch > Footstool during hitlag > Zdrop is insanely difficult, but does not have character dependent timing.
I was only able to do the Jab Lock > Zdrop > Zcatch > Footstool > Zdrop in in 1/4 speed.
I have been able to Leafshield > Footstool > Zdrop > footstool > Jab Lock in real time (and consistently).
I wasn't dexterous enough to chain grab Ice climbers in brawl, but we see top players able to do so Megaman infinite might possibly become a real threat.
DI Still plays a whole lot so it won't be as disastrous as other infinites where there is absolutely nothing to be done. Although as long the Megaman is on point, reacting to DI is not too difficult. It's not the truest of combos where nothing can be done it is just hard to get out. At higher percents he'll have to read DI, although he is just gonna close up the stock at 90% with a Utilt.
Besides top players drop combos every now and then.
I wouldn't worry about dumb infinites, for now . . .

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Old cringe worthy vid show casing that it is possible to get a guaranteed Zdrop off a forced get-up. It is guaranteed because it hits them during the get-up animation.
Zdrop > Zcatch > Footstool > Zdrop is ridiculously hard. So it was done in 1/4 speed.

This version is not a combo because you cannot interrupt the forced get-up animation with a footstool. I worked out this issue long ago with Zdrop > Zcatch > Footstool > Zdrop, the only issue with is actually executing it.

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice

1° footstool > Buffered Zdrop Bomb (Zair does not come out) > 2° Footstool > Nair

Wait a minute, I think I may have misinterpreted what you typed here. All of the combos I'm talking about are aerial Footstools, not grounded Footstools. Like knock you're opponent into the air with either or grab or something and then follow up with an aerial Footstool into a Jab Lock. That's the more practical application I'm going for and this is just an example of what I'm talking about. They may not be perfect combos but they're more practical and varied then trying to get a Footstool off of a standing opponent.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Wait a minute, I think I may have misinterpreted what you typed here. All of the combos I'm talking about are aerial Footstools, not grounded Footstools. Like knock you're opponent into the air with either or grab or something and then follow up with an aerial Footstool into a Jab Lock. That's the more practical application I'm going for and this is just an example of what I'm talking about. They may not be perfect combos but they're more practical and varied then trying to get a Footstool off of a standing opponent.
They can use both ground or aerial Footstools. If it only works with a ground footstool or aerial footstool I would have specified.

Last edited:

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice
They can use both ground or aerial Footstools
Okay, but I was only referring to aerial Footstools because they're more practical. I know some characters can just flat out Aerial Footstool someone off of a throw. If we can find some more setups that involve positioning the opponent in the air and then FS into JL then I think we can compile a much more fruitful list.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Okay, but I was only referring to aerial Footstools because they're more practical. I know some characters can just flat out Aerial Footstool someone off of a throw. If we can find some more setups that involve positioning the opponent in the air and then FS into JL then I think we can compile a much more engaging list.
One I know for sure is Diddy's
Full Hop Rising Uair > Footstool is guaranteed at low-mid percents
as seen here
Though multiple Footstool > Uair is exclusive to DOnkey kong, Bowser, and Charizard becaue of their special Footstool tumble animation
Uair > footstool should pretty much work on everyone

Rising Uair > Footstool > Fast fall Nair > uair > Fair may combo (assuming footstool > Nair true combos, which I believe does not)

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
@ Azazel Azazel the editing on that was hilarious. Also, wouldn't the second one technically be an infinite as long as the megaman is frame perfect? Or is there a window where the victim can act but not be footstooled.

Sonicjamareiz

Smash Apprentice
really the one thing thats keeping me playing smash4 some of you guys want to patched it away wtf?

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Seriously no more patches, lets keep this game the way that it is, even with this combo

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
@ Azazel Azazel the editing on that was hilarious. Also, wouldn't the second one technically be an infinite as long as the megaman is frame perfect? Or is there a window where the victim can act but not be footstooled.
You can't interrupt the Get up animation with a Footstool; Therefore, you must Footstool them afterwards.
If they simply do an action that also cannot be interrupted with a footstool such as shield, any attack (although an exception is grab. Grab can be interrupted by Footstool). If wouldn't matter if you frame perfect. If you Footstool on teh same frame, your opponent does an action that is uninterruptible, the uninterruptible move takes priority.

Besides if there was window to do so, My version does more damage.
more damage = Less loops = Less chance of Metalblade disappearing = more consistent

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Honestly, I expect this to suddenly disappear when Mewtwo comes out. I'm pretty sure the inability to select your getup option after an aerial footstool is a bug.

Early on there was a similar trick that ZSS could do on Robin that was quickly patched out.

Should it not be removed when we get M2 then I'll start practicing it.

Last edited:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I expect this to suddenly disappear when Mewtwo comes out. I'm pretty sure the inability to select your getup option after an aerial footstool is a bug.

Early on there was a similar trick that ZSS could do on Robin that was quickly patched out.
You can select your getup option after an aerial footstool - it's a jab lock that forces you to do a regular getup. And it's been this way since Melee. I'm pretty sure it's intentional.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You can select your getup option after an aerial footstool - it's a jab lock that forces you to do a regular getup. And it's been this way since Melee. I'm pretty sure it's intentional.
Well, we'll see. It kinda seems like with Smash 4 Sakurai is only just now starting to figure out how the game actually works.

Compare DACUS, which was well-known in Brawl, yet oddly it wasn't removed from Smash 4 until 1.0.4.

Last edited:

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice
has any other characters been able to utilize this?
That's the whole point of this thread. To find out which members of the cast are capable of utilizing this and which aren't. I haven't had enough spare time to do extensive testing on my own or even record it but that's what the community is for. I've seen tournament matches where if a player would of taken advantage of performing a Footstool combo to capitalize on his punish opportunity he would have won the game instead of taking the loss. It's not like it wasn't too difficult to perform in the situation either, I believe they just flat out weren't informed that they could garner such a lead for making a common read.

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Even if the charcter does not have a guaranteed follow up off a footstool, Footstools are still untechable so it will lead into a tech chase.

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
Don't get hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom