• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footnbaseball's Super Game and Watch Guide!

ledjin

Smash Apprentice
I find G&W very strange to play with. I don´t like him but my brother does, and he´s actually good with him. I´ll give him this guide which is GREAT and maybe he´ll get even better hehe. Oh, and I´ve had difficult times with G&W as Sheik, cuz he counters several Sheik´s moves... though I´m not a Sheik player, but Ganon ;) and with Ganon... well, it´s a very different story, I totally OWN G&W.

And GAW actually IS a 2D character, the only "3Ð" you might count is his metal frame ;)

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
Something you never mentioned in your guide: The awesomeness of catching lasers from the Great Fox with Oil Panic on Corneria. Just jump down there, wait for the lasers to start, tech off the wall when you get sent flying, and grab some instant death in a bucket.

glenn

Smash Cadet
_marth1_ said:
im not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I like to hold down when i get hit with an attack and then immediately tilt down A and start your combo
Yeah, one of G&W's strengths since he is a very light character is to dtilt. This helps keep him near the ground if attacked at low percentages and also lets you use the manhole which is an awesome move to start juggling. Once you get up into the 40-50% range it doesn't do much to dtilt. He is such a freaking lightweight.

footnbaseball, this was a great guide to G&W. very clear and appropriate for his character. tnx

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i had to use g&w at KOTC yesterday, i don't know why but i'm amazingly good with him, just one thing not in your guide, doc and mario cannont down throw him, he will not leave the ground until really high percents, he actually does pretty good against a marth, i brought a marth down to 2 stock (it was a out of 5) with g&w, key to manhole to box to parachute, works wonders, or instead of the parachute follow, now since that tournament, geedubya is now my second best character (in between ganon and ICs)i think he should move up, g&w does great against upper and top tier characters, my sig is getting changed to have g&w in it

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
he does good against marths that are not aggressive enough and do not space well. If the marth is inexperienced, it is actually an almost even matchup. But, and i speak from experience here as i have played a lot of good marths, ken included, with gw, if the marth knows what hes doing, hes gonna beat you real good.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
Drab Emordnilap said:
Something you never mentioned in your guide: The awesomeness of catching lasers from the Great Fox with Oil Panic on Corneria. Just jump down there, wait for the lasers to start, tech off the wall when you get sent flying, and grab some instant death in a bucket.
You are a genius beyond comprehension.

Game and Watch is my second best character, and that thing you just said there...I'm gonna have to use that from now on. My friends are in for a surprise.

YoruWoNukeru

Smash Cadet
This guide was very helpfull. I knew that Game & Watch was decent, but never thought of the possiblities of his attacks. I just started wanting to play someone new, and no one plays Game 'n Watch, so I wanted to practice with him. This guide helped me a lot.

Good job, footnbaseball. ^_^

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
actually i think someone with AR figured out that you cant lcancel the uair, bair, and nair. I could be wrong though. I really dont care.

CerpinTaxt

Smash Cadet
Yea, this guide helped me a lot in my skill with GaW. Very nice job man, excellent guide.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
While playing G&W...

I think I have a few ideas that I've noticed from CPU practice...May not work on humans as well though! Some of these might have already been covered, so sorry if this is a recap!

1)Manhole Mania: If you hit a player with a manhole while they're in midair, with a quick reaction you could run up to where they land, slide by crouching, then pull out another manhole! You can literally carry them from one side of the stage to the other with this trick! FF teching can get someone out of this, so be sure to have the manhole out before they reach the ground.

2)Manhole Edgeguard: This is handy for those who try to sweetspot the edge (works well on the space animals, I'll have to practice against Marth to see if it works on his). Simply pop a manhole close to the edge of the level so that the farther end jiggles right on top of the edge. This should fling them back out, ready for a Block or Parachute (If you're feeling lucky, leap off for a Judgement!)

3)Keyspike for Dummies?: IMO, its much easier to hit a key spike if you run off the edge, midair jump right above the opponent, and rip out the key! Only works if the opponent is below or at edge level, and could probably be punished via Fox/Falco's Illusion attacks (B+=> or B+<= )

4)Diving Key: Shorthop+ Key gives you good range, basically a shield in front of G&W in the air, AND priority! When Blocks just won't do....call on the Key!

A small note: Oil Panic can be turned around by tilting the way you want it to aim. That way if you accidentally pull the bucket out the wrong way, you dont need to turn it off.

5)Oil Panic'ing: Here's a few projectiles that when absorbed, give a devastating force to be reackoned with!

a)3 Din's Fire (Good lord.....56% damage in one hit, instantly KOs Shieks/Zeldas. I'm not joking! Then again, who uses Din's Fire? XD)

b)3 Charge blasts(Surprisingly, even uncharged ones dish out about 20% or so damage!)

c)Believe it or not, 3 shots from FOX's blaster gives a decent amount of damage(12% + stun)

d)3 Pikachu/Pichu sparks=33%!

e)3 Final Cutters (I just now figured out you can use those....wow)= 30ish dmg

The list goes on. be creative! Pills...Fireballs...Be afraid of Oil Panic, be very afraid.

I have a question, if anyone's bothering to read this. I have noticed a few times while Oil Panic'ing there's been times that it has hit with the first animaion AND the second. It's usually only at mid damage (10-12% or so). Anyone able to explain why?

Here's one sad fact about Oil Panic. If you die with a full charge, it will be depowered to the lowest it can be (6% damage, easier to double-hit). So be sure to get it out before you die!

Troggy

Smash Rookie
Great guide, I've started playing with Game and Watch more, he's uber fun :D

Supreme Pie Ninja

Smash Ace
I actually started using G&W again yesterday...and this guide helped a lot! He's definitely one of the most fun characters to use, and is very underestimated. Just watch out with his wait, and make sure to have a counterpick for Marth. ;)

Awesome guide. The character tactics and combo sections are really worth reading.

EDIT: Also, here's a few things I've come across while using G&W that might help:

The Chair actually has something sort of good about it. Like the match, it stays out quite a while, and can hurt the opponent if they hit it anytime while it's out...making it...I guess...even more like the Match. ;)

The Sausages can be used another way too. Send a barrage of them at your opponent, and right when you can move again, run in and Match, grab, or Manhole them while the last Sausages are stunning your opponent. Or if they try to sheild them, the grab'll work for that too.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
footnbaseball you should add GW's ability of chaingrabbing floaties(down) and spaceanimals(up) plus that his frying pan can burn the opponent with a descent knockback.
And stop doubleposting you can use the edit button.

I didn't knew that the Fsmash could be JC'd GREAT GUIDE!

........later

Office_Shredder

Smash Ace
One thing I saw missing, is that the parachute's hitbox range and knockback are great enough that if your opponent is an obsessive compulsive shield grabber, you can hit them with the edge of the hitbox while they're shielding, and not get grabbed. This can easily be followed up by a brick in the lag

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
I read the guide, it's great.

There's just nothing in there that I need.

All I gotta do is practice powershielding now, and I won't get 3 stocked by P.C.'s stupid comboing Falco xD.

BlitzkriegBus

Smash Rookie
I don'know about you guys when you play G&W vs Marth (aka Molrath as i call him) but the marths i play pretty much fall for anything and don't know how to play against me except f-smashing till i die. It usally ends up in a 2 stocking...

Q: Why do you put your 2 cents in if it's a penny for your thoughts?
A:

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
I'm glad to see everybody thinks this guide is good, and that it is still helping people.

But to tell you guys the truth, I don't think it's very good. I was not very experienced when I wrote this, and I think there is a lot more to say, especially in the character matchup section. The thing is, I don't want to rewrite it. I hardly ever compete at a high level anymore (not that what I did before could be called "competing"), just play weekly with some kids at my college.

I would highly recommend that any up-and-coming gw players try their hand at writing a better guide. I give anybody who wants to do this full permission to use what I have here as a framework, adding their own 2 cents wherever my 2 cents suck.

Also, to the guy who keeps instant messaging me, I'm not trying to ignore you, you just keep catching me at times when I'm not there.

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
WOOT! All underestimate the wimpy might of mr. game and watch, but it is he, who started nintendos great handheld generation. If only i lived in the 80s!

NDigighost

Smash Apprentice
Good stuff
On the pros, put in the fact that 95% of his moves are disjointed (everything but usmash, I believe) which makes for awesome priority.

I think the Fsmash is a butterfly net.

Brian777

Smash Rookie
hey footnbaseball, awesome work!
i'm usually a marth player, but lately my friends wont play with me because i shffl and spike them too much :laugh: they call me "same move marth" or "****ing cheap son of a *****" :( lol

so i'm trying to learn the art of G&W, and your guide has helped me lots! i guess i underestimated the power of the parachute :p but god love that man hole, match and brick.

again, a great guide, and thanks for helping me improve me G&W skills! :D

Judgement Hammer

Smash Rookie
I haven't read all the posts, but I just have some input about his moves:

His dair (key) is also a spike. (for those who don't already know)...You have to hit with the first frames...basically when you're touching your opponent.

His dsmash is also helpful for combos...if you don't sweet-spot it does good damage and they remain in the same spot.

His ftilt (chair) lasts for a long time and sometimes people will run into it thinking it should be over...it's also pretty good for edgeguarding. Blocks projectiles too.

If you use Judgement Hammer and get a 9, use the move 3 or 4 more times when you get some space...you'll have a higher chance of getting a 9 again later.

A good combo at high percentages: uthrow (or dthrow) to key spike to dtilt.

The key spike can also be used in combos...if they are off the edge and at low % they may recover quickly...hit them again and again with it if they do. Works better on some chars. than others.

I recently discovered that sausages can interrupt Link/Young Link's throw. I threw a few sausages, he grabbed me, the sausage hit him and we flew apart. It might work on other chars. but I haven't really tried. Sausages mess with edgeguards too but be careful because they sometimes knock your opponent closer.

angelspe3d

Smash Journeyman
i picked G$W last nite and some things that bug me.... i dont undestand WHERE the hitboxes are on the Nair..... like is it a certain frame it hits? or what.... and lets seee.... i cant seem to figure out how to approach a marth!!!! my freind constantly uses him.... and like the only thing i got is just SHFFLC Dair.... thats all i know to rush him with and half the time im just gettin TIPPED and is the "Judgement combo" or w/e just a down throw/Side B?

Top Bottom