• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Follow-up for Grab -> ground release

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any idea to the mechanics behind ground release vs air release from a grab? Like, how do I know whether my opponent will release via ground or air? I probably should ask this in the general competitive section, but I made it here since yoshi has a solid option after having the opponent ground release from a grab.

From doing a grab and pummeling a few times, if the opponent ground releases, you are able to 1-2 jab and then follow with a dash attack OR Fair for an easy ~11-30%.

If I knew the mechanics behind ground vs air release, it'd be easier following through with the above combo. I've tried searching the forums, but to no avail, hopefully you guys can provide insight. Thanks!

Edit: Added 2 youtube vids to demonstrate this:
http://youtu.be/P6cC_BuiYVc Ness 24%->45% (with Dash attack followup)
http://youtu.be/KfKbUROCyC8 Bowser Jr. 0-Death (17%->48% with Fair followup)

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
That's what I was trying to figure out as well but it doesn't seem to be the case whether pummeled or not. I checked out the vid but it wasn't mentioned. Anyone have any idea about it?

Sharky

Smash Master
It's not just after being pummeled, they have to break out *while* being pummeled in order to ground release.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
i been trying to figure this out for awhile now good question
so they have to break out while being pummeled and its a ground release?

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
i been trying to figure this out for awhile now good question
so they have to break out while being pummeled and its a ground release?
Seems to be the case and I guess it would make sense. I find that I follow with a throw usually in the higher %s and keep the grounded grab release follow ups for lower %s. However, I do mix them up as well; most opponents learn to react more quickly after getting ground released so keep em on their toes.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Well not for all characters. A few characters I've found ground release too far (Yoshi) or can react quickly enough (ZSS's jab). This needs more testing against more characters, but I've mostly been able to complete this combo handily against friends.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I don't mean range-wise.

I'm just wondering if the grab release to jab is a TRUE combo or if the opponent can shield the jab after the release. Similar to Bowser's grab to double jab in Brawl.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Definitely not, I would say it likely depends on reaction time of the opponent. Yoshi's jab is pretty quick enough to stop any offense, but I've also found that if they are fast, they can shield and roll away or put in a jab of their own (ZSS). It catches people of guard because they expect to be thrown.

Omni

BRoomer
A'ight. Just makin' sure. It's a good mix-up tho since the first hit of jab is amazing on hit and not too awful on shield.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Definitely not, I would say it likely depends on reaction time of the opponent. Yoshi's jab is pretty quick enough to stop any offense, but I've also found that if they are fast, they can shield and roll away or put in a jab of their own (ZSS). It catches people of guard because they expect to be thrown.
I don't think reaction time is really involved here. Unless I've missed something, you can still buffer shield by holding down a shield button, so they can just hold down shield after a grab break.

Do you mean reacting to the break itself? I haven't experienced too many grab breaks myself, so I don't know the data on them. Are they much faster for both parties than they had been previously?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Edit: Added 2 youtube vids to demonstrate this:
http://youtu.be/P6cC_BuiYVc Ness 24%->45% (with Dash attack followup)
http://youtu.be/KfKbUROCyC8 Bowser Jr. 0-Death (17%->48% with Fair followup)
In the first video, I think the Ness player could have used tech and escape that dash attack, and the Fair on the second video wasn't a true combo, the Bowser Jr. player used the double jump and this made your Fair hit him, if he just fast falled and used Up B he would grab the ledge and escape that Fair.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I don't think reaction time is really involved here. Unless I've missed something, you can still buffer shield by holding down a shield button, so they can just hold down shield after a grab break.

Do you mean reacting to the break itself? I haven't experienced too many grab breaks myself, so I don't know the data on them. Are they much faster for both parties than they had been previously?
I guess you would be right on the buffering shield part. Also I'm not too sure on grab break data.

In the first video, I think the Ness player could have used tech and escape that dash attack, and the Fair on the second video wasn't a true combo, the Bowser Jr. player used the double jump and this made your Fair hit him, if he just fast falled and used Up B he would grab the ledge and escape that Fair.
These are not true guaranteed combos, rather something you can use if your opponent ground releases from a grab. I've found success using this tactic, which is why I shared it with the board.

Edit: Also most people's reaction to being knocked away is to jump immediately, so I go and follow with a Fair more often than not

Last edited:

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Btw I tried on diddy and his jab come faster. I think Ness jab come faster as well because it usually do on neutral

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I did some testing and it DOES work because they rarely expect to be ground released by Yoshi. Most of the time, you can really get a lot from this since they get confused after being jabbed and give us the chance to hurt them really hard.

Just use it as a mix-up and it'll be a very strong tool that will hardly be expected.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Btw I tried on diddy and his jab come faster. I think Ness jab come faster as well because it usually do on neutral
I did some testing and it DOES work because they rarely expect to be ground released by Yoshi. Most of the time, you can really get a lot from this since they get confused after being jabbed and give us the chance to hurt them really hard.

Just use it as a mix-up and it'll be a very strong tool that will hardly be expected.
Yep, once your opponent figures out how to counter, it becomes less effective. That's why mixing it up with throws is a great idea. :)

Omni

BRoomer

Giving up about 8-9% for a mix-up. I guess this would be good at high %'s if you're aiming for a kill setup.

Top Bottom