• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Florida Panhandle Brawlfest: Running out of SF References (Tallahassee, FL) (OCT 4th)

mkGmoney

Smash Ace
Jacksonville, FL (UNF) Location: Tavares, FL (for
That's cool that you guys found a new venue.

Orfn is just joking around with his comments. We (Jax) don't really have any kind of a problem with any players over in Tally.

Trash talking is a part of any competitive game, so people just gotta deal with it. The hype at these tourneys has been really low (which is probably partially the fault of the venue and the owner of that venue). I want to hear a lot of yelling and screaming at the next tourney! :)

Post the vids.

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
if thats the case, im gonna need your guys help hyping this up, becuase im not holding the next tourney until NOV 1. so when we're at gigs, help me hype up this tourney, i wanna have an awesome turnout to where everyone can have fun, and at the new venue, im sure we'll be as loud as we want to be!

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Love the fixed rules.

Change of venue will be amazing. (wonders what happened with the owner this time)

Next one is November 1st? I'll try to get it off.

D_B_S

Smash Lord
imma be in the next melee tourney....that **** was too fun in friendlies

but yeah GG's everyone

next time hopefully i wont screw up at the END!! :(

ALSO!!!............Are we going to Gigabits or wat

Zone

Smash Champion
Sorry but honestly, t was a long ****ing day. Thank God we are having a venue change soon :-). So thats why I would say that U all MIGHT think that Melee was MORE exciting. But honestly, Brawl was WAY more entertaining seeing that it was BLATANTLY Obvious that no1 could touch Green Mario. (NO OFFENSE TO ANY PLAYERS)

In Brawl, U have a better defense... It's not all about attacking all day long. One good quality is that a novice using only the smash attacks could beat a new player using all the controls. Brawl just has more mind games. In Melee, if you have a combo you know how to do.. U do it and it's game over. Point is, BRAWL IS DIFFERENT THAN MELEE AND IF YOUR NOT THAT GOD AT BRAWL DON'T GO BACK TO MELEE WHINING ABOUT IT.

Ok i'll give the brawl finals some credit for fun. I heard lots of laughter from that. But that would be partially because they did a falcon ditto. The only fun thing I find in brawl lol. Even though falcon is still kinda lame to play in that game.

I dunno if you even watched. Green Mario 2-1'd me in winners, and 3-2'd me in Finals. So I don't think I necessarily couldn't touch him.

I'm not whining about it, I'm speaking from experience. WHEN I personally walked between the doors between melee and Brawl. That is what I saw. Sorry you are able to judge my experience on what was going on based on my point of view. I didn't say brawl isn't different from melee. But I can still argue my opinion that Melee is the better game. Brawl does not have more mind games. The more options you have at your disposal, the more mind games you can chunk at your opponent. You're right, I suck at brawl. But I made no effort to improve after playing the game for 9 hours, and realized I was not going to personally enjoy the game.

Btw Brawl does not have a better defense in the game. It's actually worse than Melee, it's only now the attack was gimp'd way more than the defense in Brawl, so the defense outweighs the offense.

Trying to accurately add numerical value to the defense options. I could be off on importancy but oh well.
Example:
Melee defense options:
Dash Dance +2
Wavedash +3 (Huge use in defense and offense but only counting defense)
Heavy Shield +1
Light SHield +1
Powershield +1
Power shield (To reflect projectiles) +1
Airdodge +1
Spot dodge+1
Priority+1

Brawl Defense Options:
Dash dance + 1/2? not even enough to count it imo
Wavedash +0
Heavy Shield+1
Light Shield+0
Powershield+1 (Perfect Shield)
Powershield (To reflect) +0
Airdodge +2 (Because u can do more than one although in Melee you can control your direction probably should count it as a draw, but I won't for the sake of giving brawl more credit.)
Spotdodge +1
Priority +1
6 1/2

Melee had more defensive options.
It's just melee's Offense was on par, so both was uber equally important. It was better to be on the offensive because having the pressure on you, is not good.

You're right though about in Brawl it's about defense more so. So it is a different game. I'm just wanting to point out to you. Melee had more defensive options.

I did hear laughter during brawl finals. ^^d props to that.

Anyways I wasn't here to try and make this into a melee vs brawl debate. But I had to make a point on ur synopsis.

I'm not going to lie. I am a little biased against Brawl, but with good reason from personal experience of being bored playing the game.

There was a melee tournament here?..............**** IT >.<, please put it in the title next time. Me and my crewmates(around five people, if not more) would've loved to come to this, we are only one hour away.
yea there weren't too many melee entrants. Wish you coulda made it :D. Have you been to alot of Georgia tournaments? Your smash name looks familiar I've been to a few in Georgia.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
imma be in the next melee tourney....that **** was too fun in friendlies

but yeah GG's everyone

next time hopefully i wont screw up at the END!! :(

ALSO!!!............Are we going to Gigabits or wat
WE goin to GIG's D.... WE goin to gigs...

Good new is that at the NEW VENUE we def won't have a problem with the OWNER ;-)

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
Now as far as your concerned "Kagesekan", KBM gets influenced by people around him while he plays, JUST LIKE EVERY1 ELSE. Although it's NO excuse for the fact that he called you guys cheerleaders, which was most definitely TRUE, U can't get mad at the guy for feeling like your rubbing salt into a wound. Gmoney probably Destroyed him and with 2 guys on the sidelines cheering for more it's kind of hard to take. So don't go around lashing out at people calling them out on websites that they have no access 2. Only *****ES do that. I highly doubt that your 1 of those. I have no problem with you bro. I didn't mind it when you guys were cheering on Gmoney while he was beating me(The Sonic Player named AWAL), but other people might. I enjoy you guys coming up and enjoy playing against you all alongside the advice you bring. If you got something to say, say it 2 him.
Chill man, last I checked "lawl" isn't an indicator of anger or rage. Bemused if anything. And in the post (either AiB or here, can't remember) where I called him a f aggot, I was referencing Zombie Panic! Source culture. Nothing personal.
Cheering and hyping is run of the mill in any Smash tourney. There's nothing unusual about it at all and it's INTENDED to throw off or boost people's games. A good player knows to ignore the cheering for the opponent and focus on any support they receive or just play on their own. Tallahassee is weird though, doesn't seem like anyone really cares that much about hyping...

I'm not really calling him out, just joking. 90% of what I ever say is just random **** that you shouldn't take seriously. I can be a ******* at times but I'm never being serious about it, just ask Gmoney.

Also, props on the Sonic. You don't see many that can actually make it to the top levels of a tourney and I'm surprised you didn't get 3-stocked by Gmoney. Keep it up

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
if thats the case, im gonna need your guys help hyping this up, becuase im not holding the next tourney until NOV 1. so when we're at gigs, help me hype up this tourney, i wanna have an awesome turnout to where everyone can have fun, and at the new venue, im sure we'll be as loud as we want to be!
Yeah, the owner did c ock block us quite a bit. But still, everyone's attitude sucks. Don't get all depressed and sit in a corner when you lose, keep watching matches and cheering for people at random. I think everyone would have more fun if they just weren't robotically going through each of their matches.

Zone

Smash Champion
Yeah, the owner did c ock block us quite a bit. But still, everyone's attitude sucks. Don't get all depressed and sit in a corner when you lose, keep watching matches and cheering for people at random. I think everyone would have more fun if they just weren't robotically going through each of their matches.
lol, yeah, just laugh and make jokes even if your losing. I was recovering on my last stock in me and green mario's last match to determine if we go to the 2nd set or not. And before I even reached the edge. I was like "Don't do it, Stop it" Knowing the cape was coming to my face. And sure enough it did. It was hilarious. I mean if I lose I lose, atleast make it fun.

Glad to see the brawl people made finals interesting with funny falcon ditto. The Brawl side needed more laughter, and apparently that match did it for them.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Chill man, last I checked "lawl" isn't an indicator of anger or rage. Bemused if anything. And in the post (either AiB or here, can't remember) where I called him a f aggot, I was referencing Zombie Panic! Source culture. Nothing personal.
Cheering and hyping is run of the mill in any Smash tourney. There's nothing unusual about it at all and it's INTENDED to throw off or boost people's games. A good player knows to ignore the cheering for the opponent and focus on any support they receive or just play on their own. Tallahassee is weird though, doesn't seem like anyone really cares that much about hyping...

I'm not really calling him out, just joking. 90% of what I ever say is just random **** that you shouldn't take seriously. I can be a ******* at times but I'm never being serious about it, just ask Gmoney.

Also, props on the Sonic. You don't see many that can actually make it to the top levels of a tourney and I'm surprised you didn't get 3-stocked by Gmoney. Keep it up
No harm no foul man. It jus seemed kinda shady thats all. I give it 2 U tho KBM does complain ALOT. Which I do tell him. As far as the habitat. Honestly, the owner of the store jus ruined the entire day for every1 and that jus messed us all up. That WAS actually the least electrifying tourney in a while. But anywho, who's all goin to GIGS?

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
No harm no foul man. It jus seemed kinda shady thats all. I give it 2 U tho KBM does complain ALOT. Which I do tell him. As far as the habitat. Honestly, the owner of the store jus ruined the entire day for every1 and that jus messed us all up. That WAS actually the least electrifying tourney in a while. But anywho, who's all goin to GIGS?
It's cool, and he does. I think he has potential though, possibly. Depends on his disposition on Brawl.
And he did, but that's being handled.
Also, Gmoney and I are teaming for GIGS

B_AWAL

Smash Master
It's cool, and he does. I think he has potential though, possibly. Depends on his disposition on Brawl.
And he did, but that's being handled.
Also, Gmoney and I are teaming for GIGS
I heard that U and Gmoney are hell to recon with. Although I'm not sure who I'm teaming with :-/

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
I heard that U and Gmoney are hell to recon with. Although I'm not sure who I'm teaming with :-/
We practice together a lot and understand each other's play style very well so that's a huge advantage for us. We just need a little more communication. We won the last two Tally tournaments with only two lost matches total, one each against Groceries' team. We have a good chance to win/place high in GIGS I think.

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
well guys for the one on NOV 1st, we're going to be staying at Fortress until all the details with the new venue come through, that being said, i went and spoke witht he owner of Fortress and explained to him what the deal was and what had happened at the last tournament, he asked i fi could post this for the people of the last tournament to read

Hello,
My Name is Jason Smith. I am the proprietor of Fortress Games & Computing. It has come to my attention that certain actions that happened at this establishment upset a few people. For those actions I would like to humbly apologize. It was never my intention to upset anyone. The raising of voice that occurred was in no way meant to upset anybody. As soon as it was brought to my attention I felt really bad about it and felt an apology was in order. I am Sorry for upsetting anybody. My only excuse as thin as it is, is that I was personally having a very rough past few days. I do hope you can forgive me for that. I shall endeavor to prevent any future occurrence of such happening again.
As for the matter of perceived Disrespect towards Drew or the rest of the Crew NOTHING could be further from the truth. Myself and my crew have nothing but the warmest feeling and respect for them. What was said to them was said in jest as friendly banter.
This e-mail is being forwarded by Drew to you because I didn't want there to be any chance of concern of reprisal so I specifically have made sure I don't know who was offended. I hope to prove the sincerity of this e-mail with actions rather than words. I just hope you can be persuaded to give that chance. If you have ANY questions regarding this letter, feel free to call me on my personal phone (850)294-0918 or e-mail me at interdimensional@hotmail.com.

Thank You For Your Time
Jason Smith

that being said, bear with me, it seems that he understands what the situation is, and for the tournament on the 1st, we are going to have the venue to ourselves, as well as random food given out to people still in the tournaments as the tournaments go on. Keep in mind that the five dollar house fee will be in effect so the tourney pot's will not be touched. It won't be cramped and he won't be screaming at anybody. THat being said please bear with me, the next tournament experience will be much better! and th eonly reason i wasn't screaming or shouting is for the same reason AWAL said, the owner kinda killed the mood for myself and the crew, im ussually alot perkier

P.S Gmoney, youtube is slow i don't know why, but im working on it.

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
I wonder why some people randomly capitalize non-proper nouns? Anyways, I doubt the change will be significant but I respect that the guy at least wants to ATTEMPT to make it a bearable venue.

Drew, upload the vids while you're sleeping or something. And give out the free food to the screaming people ftw

B_AWAL

Smash Master
I wonder why some people randomly capitalize non-proper nouns? Anyways, I doubt the change will be significant but I respect that the guy at least wants to ATTEMPT to make it a bearable venue.

Drew, upload the vids while you're sleeping or something. And give out the free food to the screaming people ftw
LMAO!!! Well, actually there is a FUNNY story with that. Long story short, 3 years ago this girl threatened 2 stop giving me HEAD unless I made it easier to communicate via texting. So I would capitalize certain important words so that she would understand whether I was serious or not about certain things. From then on I jus used it to put an EMPHASIS onto certain words in FRIENDLY conversations like these.

AND IT ALL WORKED OUT LMAO!!!

FREE FOOD FOR SCREAMING PEOPLE FTW!!!!!

B_AWAL

Smash Master
On a more important note, I REALLY WANNA KNOW if any1 has a problem LOGICALLY with the "startin off with a single main every set" scenario. I personally see that it makes it fair to every1 to force all players to use the same character all the time. I understand that it's not what people want, but it is fairer... :-/

What do U all think?

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
On a more important note, I REALLY WANNA KNOW if any1 has a problem LOGICALLY with the "startin off with a single main every set" scenario. I personally see that it makes it fair to every1 to force all players to use the same character all the time. I understand that it's not what people want, but it is fairer... :-/

What do U all think?
I don't really see that as "fair" at all. If you can counterpick someone you should be able to. If you think that's unfair learn how to use more characters and np. There are just some matchups that are NO fun at all to play. Ever done ROB vs. G&W? It's not pretty.

Not that any of this matters to me since I'm going pure ROB most likely. I'm just saying, people should be free to do what they want in a matchup, it's the players fighting and not the characters when you get right down to it.

uber nerd mode: can you imagine how stupid it would be if Ash had to use Pikachu first in every battle even though he's gonna get pwn'd by rock and ground types?

B_AWAL

Smash Master
I don't really see that as "fair" at all. If you can counterpick someone you should be able to. If you think that's unfair learn how to use more characters and np. There are just some matchups that are NO fun at all to play. Ever done ROB vs. G&W? It's not pretty.

Not that any of this matters to me since I'm going pure ROB most likely. I'm just saying, people should be free to do what they want in a matchup, it's the players fighting and not the characters when you get right down to it.

uber nerd mode: can you imagine how stupid it would be if Ash had to use Pikachu first in every battle even though he's gonna get pwn'd by rock and ground types?
Once again, LMAO!!! Currently rollin on da floor...

Ok, back. I just think that it forces people to use thier best character and not to worry about who they are fighting. I know Sonic isn't good against, well... ALOT of characters in the game. However, knowing this I got better. I got to the point where I learned how to fight MK's.

Or better yet how about this. Gmoney uses Wario, supposedly Luigi is god against Wario. Let's say that I counter-pick against his Wario. Thats an unfair advantage that I have in Round 1. Which is the same if we were forced to pick the same characters in round 1 anyways.

No matter what happens, it's all the same. The only difference is that if You know who I use, U can counter-pick against them. Or I could intentionally watch ur match to see who ur using and counter-pick against them. It's all the same. Unfortunately Pokemon is a bad example. I remember back in Melee I know that Luigi was bad against Marth but I found out a way around it and started Beating up on Marths that weren't up to par. People are so focused on making sure that they us characters that are good against certain others they don't worry about how to fight with thier best character. I remember when I couldn't beat a Falco with Luigi in Melee. Eventually I figured out several combo's and I was able to beat Falco as well. So all I have to say is that it would be better for people to start off with their best foot forward rather than give up and ue Meta or Snake like some people I knew.

Kagesekan

Smash Journeyman
Once again, LMAO!!! Currently rollin on da floor...

Ok, back. I just think that it forces people to use thier best character and not to worry about who they are fighting. I know Sonic isn't good against, well... ALOT of characters in the game. However, knowing this I got better. I got to the point where I learned how to fight MK's.

Or better yet how about this. Gmoney uses Wario, supposedly Luigi is god against Wario. Let's say that I counter-pick against his Wario. Thats an unfair advantage that I have in Round 1. Which is the same if we were forced to pick the same characters in round 1 anyways.

No matter what happens, it's all the same. The only difference is that if You know who I use, U can counter-pick against them. Or I could intentionally watch ur match to see who ur using and counter-pick against them. It's all the same. Unfortunately Pokemon is a bad example. I remember back in Melee I know that Luigi was bad against Marth but I found out a way around it and started Beating up on Marths that weren't up to par. People are so focused on making sure that they us characters that are good against certain others they don't worry about how to fight with thier best character. I remember when I couldn't beat a Falco with Luigi in Melee. Eventually I figured out several combo's and I was able to beat Falco as well. So all I have to say is that it would be better for people to start off with their best foot forward rather than give up and ue Meta or Snake like some people I knew.
But if you counterpick Luigi (though I don't know HOW that's a good matchup), you probably aren't as good with him as your main. Which puts you at a massive disadvantage. Besides, Gmoney can fall back on another character himself.
But I agree, people shouldn't pick characters simply for counterpick purposes. It's just that SOME people like to use different characters in a matchup because they're more comfortable. I personally do bad in dittos for example.

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman

lawlz Ash's pikachu is HAX though :p

anyways, thinkgs will run much smoother, and AWAL, if you're worried about being counterpicked, you can always call for a double blind pick.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
But if you counterpick Luigi (though I don't know HOW that's a good matchup), you probably aren't as good with him as your main. Which puts you at a massive disadvantage. Besides, Gmoney can fall back on another character himself.
But I agree, people shouldn't pick characters simply for counterpick purposes. It's just that SOME people like to use different characters in a matchup because they're more comfortable. I personally do bad in dittos for example.
Some 1 told me Luigi Counters Wario. Idk how, but yeah. I NEVER paid attention to tiers or counters because that counts for the norm.

SlitThroat1010

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, I hope we get to see a new venue since the 50% scrape is a big deal for those that would potentially travel to these tournaments, but I'm glad he's willing to let the smash community liven up a little. When I get a chance later today I'll ask if I can reserve my neighborhood's club house for such things. If so, I'm thinking 0% scrape or 5-10% scrape for free food for the players, whichever is better for everyone. Don't count on this yet though, I still have to ask, lol.

I recall countless melee tournies, such as doodah's or gig's or nexus's or others, where everyone is excited and happy to play regardless of the outcome, whereas all I've seen here lately is mostly formal expressions and little focus on anything but the outcomes of the matches (people are happy to have bye's for crying out loud lol). If anyone summons that spirit back into the game here, you will be the hero of the community.

Looking forward to gig's. Gmoney, I'll call you later to get an address. Right now, I'm looking for someone to team up with for gig's so an open invitation to everyone. I'll take anyone that knows and can apply the basics of teamplay (giving your team mate space, changing targets every so often, punishing opponents for hitting your team mate, eyes on everyone, etc). See you all at gig's!

SlitThroat1010

Smash Journeyman
The lady at the desk said she would take it to their meeting tomorrow and let me know...so I'll let you guys know when I do.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
THis is Drew,

DOn't worry about it Groceries, the money thing will be taken care of, so the pot will be much bigger come the tourney the first, instead of raising the tournament entry, just doing a 5 dollar house fee like most tournies do, and then just have the entry fee's to the whole pot. anyways, im all for living up the tournament, lets just have a good time at the NOV 1st tournament, And ill see you all at GIGS!

SlitThroat1010

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'll cancel my request when they contact me for now. If you ever need an emergency room for a tournament, I'm pretty sure I could nab this clubhouse though.

KBM

Smash Ace
yo g, your info next to all your posts says youre maining ice climbers.

i dont suppose that to be the case.

Top Bottom