• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fishing for shield breaks...

Fyore

Smash Rookie
I try and play Ryu in a way that controls space, but also denies my opponent the ability to do things. I enjoy Lutilt locks, jab locking with nair, footstools, and most of all, shield breaks.

Can someone explain to me why or why not it would be a good idea to fish for shield breaks in neutral? From what I've seen, shaku hover to Hftilt works, and so does DD2 to SRK. Would Ldtilt to Hftilt work too, or does it come out too slow? I find breaking your opponents shield to be a terrifying thing. If you prove that on a whim you can simple shatter their defenses how do you think they react to that mentally? Causing your opponent to go on a severe tilt and fear specific setups causes them to react either in a panic or very predictably, or both! I have a whole other spiel about forcing your opponent to tilt but that's for another thread.

Anyways, I'm just curious about other people's opinions. Do you think it's a good idea to try and purposefully break your opponents shield? Why or why not?

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
I try and play Ryu in a way that controls space, but also denies my opponent the ability to do things. I enjoy Lutilt locks, jab locking with nair, footstools, and most of all, shield breaks.

Can someone explain to me why or why not it would be a good idea to fish for shield breaks in neutral? From what I've seen, shaku hover to Hftilt works, and so does DD2 to SRK. Would Ldtilt to Hftilt work too, or does it come out too slow? I find breaking your opponents shield to be a terrifying thing. If you prove that on a whim you can simple shatter their defenses how do you think they react to that mentally? Causing your opponent to go on a severe tilt and fear specific setups causes them to react either in a panic or very predictably, or both! I have a whole other spiel about forcing your opponent to tilt but that's for another thread.

Anyways, I'm just curious about other people's opinions. Do you think it's a good idea to try and purposefully break your opponents shield? Why or why not?
Landing a back air at the last couple of frames before landing can let you go into a bunch of options due to back air having so much shieldstun, shield damage and very low landing lag. The opponent has to be either mashing an ultra fast move to escape or have very fast reactions, and even then you can capitalize on their shield drop, so even if you can't land a shield break after the back air you can still hit them afterwards. Just make sure to space it well and make sure you don't get perfect shielded.

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
It is definitely a good thing as long as you focus on the rest of the fight as well. Instill a fear of shielding in your opponent and then combo your defenseless opponent.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

I broke Vinnies shield twice in tournament in the same match.

Let that sink in.

Vinnie is top 3 Sheik player on the face of the Earth.

So after sharing that what do you think? Is it viable at high level?

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Ok so. Since shield breaks are very good, how do we capitalize on them best? Shoryuken at shoryu kill percents. After around 50, move them to the ledge and fully charged Fsmash them. And..... below that? Probably a footstool combo.

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Ok so. Since shield breaks are very good, how do we capitalize on them best? Shoryuken at shoryu kill percents. After around 50, move them to the ledge and fully charged Fsmash them. And..... below that? Probably a footstool combo.
oops. meant to edit, not reply

Last edited:

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
I love love love to Shakunetsu in people's face then when they get around 80 then I throw about that Collar Bone Breaker.
So good.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Typically, when Ryu does his weak dtilt 1, 2, or 3 times on an opponent. The opponent will most likely shield, punish the opponents foolish desires will Collar Bone Breaker. I do this quite a lot. It's surprisingly effective :)

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Typically, when Ryu does his weak dtilt 1, 2, or 3 times on an opponent. The opponent will most likely shield, punish the opponents foolish desires will Collar Bone Breaker. I do this quite a lot. It's surprisingly effective :)
Also, if you do repeated dtilts on their shield, they cannot/it is very difficult for them to escape. It will most likely catch them before the invincibility on their roll/spotdodge begins. You can condition them to stay in shield (they may be able to jump) and then use HFtilt. The shield decay from the time during the LDtilts as well as the damage from the LDtilts and HFtilt will most likely break their shield. So, if you face someone who often will do ledge climb and then immediately shield, this is a very nice shield break trap for them.

Treetheater

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlopDr
I've heard that soutspot FAir does good shield damage
It does indeed do excellent shield damage, probably a sliver less than collar bone breaker. Lock your opponent with a couple LDtilts and if they shield you can full jump into nair while moving behind them, and land with the fair in the sourspot. If spaced properly, and they shield the whole thing, then this will take off about 80-90% of their shield. Possibly a good mix-up to use in conjunction with LDtilts>Collarbone breaker.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
It does indeed do excellent shield damage, probably a sliver less than collar bone breaker. Lock your opponent with a couple LDtilts and if they shield you can full jump into nair while moving behind them, and land with the fair in the sourspot. If spaced properly, and they shield the whole thing, then this will take off about 80-90% of their shield. Possibly a good mix-up to use in conjunction with LDtilts>Collarbone breaker.
It does 13 less less damage than HFtilt vs shield (37-24). Also, the combo that you've detailed above is not a true combo on shield. They can escape. And, because of shield decay, if they did for some reason hold shield that whole time, the shield would break. However, I can't see someone not shield grabbing your nair or, if that's not possible, JC Usmashing you or someother OoS option.

Treetheater

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlopDr
It does 13 less less damage than HFtilt vs shield (37-24). Also, the combo that you've detailed above is not a true combo on shield. They can escape. And, because of shield decay, if they did for some reason hold shield that whole time, the shield would break. However, I can't see someone not shield grabbing your nair or, if that's not possible, JC Usmashing you or someother OoS option.
Yeah, this is true, it can be quite easy to escape. But I also never explicitly called it a combo, really just more of a possible setup for the sourspot on fair. I guess if you were fast enough you could reverse-short hop out of the Ldtilts to hit them with the sourspot almost instantly, but I dunno if that'd even work? Plus the landing lag would probably end up getting you hit? I'm definitely not a noob, but as you can maybe extrapolate from my post count, i'm not exactly proficient either :p Regardless, it's a tricky spot to set up for

SameOldG

Smash Rookie
After watching Hooded's video with heavy utilt to fa1 shield break and doing light dtiltx4 to heavy utilt I was thinking that this could be a shield break set up (in theory) that is, light dtiltx4 to heavy utilt to fa1 or heavy ftilt. I haven't test it out yet tho... just posting it before I forget

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Like you said, at kill %'s, move them closer to the ledge and charge and Fsmash.

If they're not quite at kill %'s, move them to the ledge and try to set up a combo into a Spike, or a combo into Shoryuken.

If they're at very low %'s, Start a combo with FA lv3 (or in rare cases, lv2), then go for a combo, like SH Nair > landing Nair > d1x? > d2 > Tatsu.

If they're at a platform at lower %'s, you can move them in position for a Jab Lock to maximize damage:

Nair (tumble) > landing weak Nair > FA lv2 > Dair > whatever you like.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Like you said, at kill %'s, move them closer to the ledge and charge and Fsmash.

If they're not quite at kill %'s, move them to the ledge and try to set up a combo into a Spike, or a combo into Shoryuken.

If they're at very low %'s, Start a combo with FA lv3 (or in rare cases, lv2), then go for a combo, like SH Nair > landing Nair > d1x? > d2 > Tatsu.

If they're at a platform at lower %'s, you can move them in position for a Jab Lock to maximize damage:
Nair (tumble) > landing weak Nair > FA lv2 > Dair > whatever you like.
For the low percent one, an FA while the opponent is in shieldbreak stun will do KB rather than crumple similar to hitting an opponent with FA while the opponent is in crumple already (FA2->FA2 or FA3->FA3). So, let's say the opponent is around... 10%. A good combo might be:

FA3->Nair chains->Dair spike
or
FA3->footstool->sour Nair lock-> sour fairstool semi infinite-> dair spike
or
FA3->footstool->sour Nair lock->sour fair stool->sour nair lock->sour fair stool->sour nair lock->FA2->DD1/FA2->dair spike
Those should work well

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
For the low percent one, an FA while the opponent is in shieldbreak stun will do KB rather than crumple similar to hitting an opponent with FA while the opponent is in crumple already (FA2->FA2 or FA3->FA3). So, let's say the opponent is around... 10%. A good combo might be:

FA3->Nair chains->Dair spike
or
FA3->footstool->sour Nair lock-> sour fairstool semi infinite-> dair spike
or
FA3->footstool->sour Nair lock->sour fair stool->sour nair lock->sour fair stool->sour nair lock->FA2->DD1/FA2->dair spike
Those should work well
You can FA ppl perfectly fine after a Shield Break, and true combo after, as long as it's FA lv2 or lv3. they won't get launched much at all at low %'s. :starman:

Likewise, A FA lv3 > crumble > FA lv2 can lead into Usmash, for example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom