• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Footage of Roy and Ryu Found In Leak!

Zapster

Smash Apprentice
While I kind of see your point, Dark Pit is actually a literal clone in the series' canon (well, doppelganger, but you get the point), which actually justifies why he plays almost the same (almost rather than fully because of arrow curve and electroshock arm's different knock-back). From what I know, Roy on the other hand..not really.
All the more reason for him to be a alternate skin and not a separate character. Serious WTf SAKURAI. Favoritism to the max

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
While I kind of see your point, Dark Pit is actually a literal clone in the series' canon, which actually justifies why he plays almost the same (almost rather than fully because of arrow curve and electroshock arm's different knockback). From what I know, Roy on the other hand..not really.
Fair point on Roy. This was Melee though, where they cloned people for the sake of character counts under a tight deadline that didn't allow completely new character creation.

Although now that Marth's shield breaker is different, flare blade is its own move now. I'm willing to bet that Roy has been differentiated to the point of not having him be just an even worse Lucina.

But even if he has been spiced up a bit, it'll never stop him from being the third Marth (actually second Marth)

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
All the more reason for him to be a alternate skin and not a separate character. Serious WTf SAKURAI. Favoritism to the max
Still more differences in moves, really. And let's not forget Dark Pit was free, not paid like Roy.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Dark Pit, Roy and Lucina are all half-ass
Dark Pit being a clone in canon means jack squat, anyone who played Uprising knows it to boot, especially when his Final Smash...is his flipping staff.

4 Characters come out of this whole DLC scenario and 3/4th are ports from previous games, no biggie except 2/3 are clones, with 1 of those clones, being a clone of an already cloned character. The only original isn't even from Nintendo.

Gonna toss a brick when next DLC character is a Link/Pikachu/Mario/Fox clone.

Super Port Brothers 4. Too busy to move forward because we're looking back. Where the **** is Isaac.

Last edited:

Zapster

Smash Apprentice
Still more differences in moves, really. And let's not forget Dark Pit was free, not paid like Roy.

Actually Dark pit statistically the exact same except for minimal statistical differences in their neutral B and side B... Title, smashes, weight... Exact same... That's nothing about taking up roster spots, just degrades the other all quality of the cast.

Roy look sweet though!

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
Also since we're bringing clones back from Melee could we PLEASE get the best one?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
ny the way I hate to make it worse for marth clone haters

the trophies for roy were leaked as well

and look at the final smash trophie they are stupid idiots to give roy the same final smash as marth/lucina

ITS THE RETURN OF THE TRIPLE LAND MASTERS BUT IN MARTHS FINAL SMASH

(ps wolf is next to garateed now so the triple land masters will be back.)

M@v

Subarashii!
Kinda disappointed we didn't get to see this in the trailer first tomorrow...that's what happens when you release a patch early though I guess. Now the only question is when will they be playable?

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
at least nobody's forced to buy Roy.

I still think Dark Pit is as Pit as Roy is Marth
And that's fair enough. I'll likely buy him as I want the complete package and will likely try him out, but I'd have rather have to pay for less cloney veterans/newcomers, if you know what I mean.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Out of curiosity. What is Ryu going to be able to bring to Smash what Little Mac already hasn't? And please don't say it's because Little Mac is a Boxer and Ryu is a Martial Arts fighter.
Well, for one he has the Tatsumaki Senpyaku (hope I spelled that right)
The giant ass Hadouken, Shoryuken, and yes, he is a martial artist. We don't actually have any of those.

I'm not going to purchase any of these characters. None of them interest me and aside from Mewtwo the other 2 Nintendo DLC characters are just clones.

I was hoping for more unique characters like Inklings, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, or Krystal from Star Fox.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ryu's Hadoukens are fueled by the delicious tears of Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter fanboys. :troll:

Kai_64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kai9001
>Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario
smash players: ok
>Fox, Falco, Wolf
smash players: ok
>Marth, Roy, Lucina
smash players: nO ABSOLUTELY NOT too many MARTHS I demand REFUND BOYCOTT SAKURAI
The thing is all those characters have play quite differently. Marth and Lucina play pretty much the same , except Lucina is worse. Most like gonna be the case with Roy as well. I could be wrong though.

MegaTuks

Smash Rookie
So the guy who leaked them said they're supposed to be released tomorrow? And Dream Land 64 is on the horizon...

Not sure when all of those costumes are coming out.
i hate that is what leaked BUUT if it is true i need to get some moneyz xD

Teyo

Smash Rookie
Those who are saying Ryu doesn't make sense really don't realize how big of a hit Street Fighter II was on the SNES, do they? Less noteworthy, but SFIV is on 3DS. Ryu is an iconic character and SFII was a hugely influential game, especially for the fighting game genre.

Also why on earth would he play like Little Mac? If you haven't played Street Fighter I guess maybe I could see where you're coming from... I also don't really play much Little Mac so by all means it might be me. It looked like they translated him over to Smash really well and he will be a unique fighter if he plays similarly to his source material.

As far as Roy goes... I mean, he's cool but if we were going to get another FE representative I really would have wanted someone new and more unique. Too many sword Lords. Fire Emblem has so many cool characters to choose from who would play really differently. If they waited and released a character from the upcoming FE that would've been hype. And if they were dead set on another Lord, they could've at least given them a lance to set them apart.

Dissapointed that the big reveal was ruined, but I'm still excited. If all three are playable alongside Lucas I'm just dead.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Is there anywhere we're discussing why the hell these characters are already on the Miiverse site? And they do say their release date is tomorrow.

EDIT: Nvm; I failed to read the small print 'Fansite'.

Last edited:

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Thanks for putting this on the front ****ing page, real nice of you

Pixel_

Smash Ace
If no Tekken characters are getting into Smash, Ryu's gotta be the next best thing :D

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
Well that isn't Wolf but hey Roy looks better than he did and Ryu looks decent as well.

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
Well this IS interesting. Particularly since it's partially Ninty's fault that this was leaked early. With this and Hyrule Warriors 3D, I hope there isn't too much more spoiled before E3! X)
Now where's my Wolf! :wolf: And ICs! :popo: and some others...

Also, at the end of the Ryu vid, is that a new stage!?

Dan

Smash Lord
Reggie is going to have Trinen's head on a platter for this bulls*t.

D

Deleted member

At least, it's fine for Melee fans but I still don't see the point of adding Roy to this roster... We already had 4 FE characters and he won't add any original things to the gameplay.

And Ryu, I'm not hype at all for a character who has so little link to Nintendo and comes from another fighting game. Basically nothing great to expect for his gameplay.

Now, I'm just hoping there won't be only Wolf after that 'cause I want to see an ORIGINAL character :/
I think Ryu is just there because Capcom wants to make some money (as always). Roy seems redundant because :4lucina: exists, at least, to me. So I agree with you in some form.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
In spite of my earlier rant at yet another leak, I am personally stoked to be able to play as my favorite Fire Emblem character from Super Smash Bros. Melee while having yet another Fire Emblem character to rag on Marth with, and I can't wait to try out Ryu – the godfather of traditional fighting games – in the Super Smash Bros. game style.

isacomon

Smash Rookie
Ladies and gentlemen of the Internet,

It's 2:23 am HST right now, as I type this message. If I don't return from my euphoric levels of hype by tomorrow, know that I love you all and leave my GameCube controller to my friend Issac.

The hype train has left the station.

CHOO CHOO
Thanks for the controller bro

Top Bottom