• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Footage of Roy and Ryu Found In Leak!

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
Very interested to see how Ryu controls. It looked like he had some iconic SF links going on there, but, I have no idea if there will be similar combos as seen in his origin games.
As for Roy, as long as his dtilt pops people up and he has more moves to distinguish himself from Marth, I'm happy. We don't need yet another clone.

luke_ario

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lukeario13
How reliable is the info here? I'm sad about both these characters if its legit, We don't need 3 marths as has been said quite a few times, and ryu has his own strong series to go muck around in, I imagine he'd be lil mac with sheiks airgame based on the megapain I had to deal with in mvc3
Have you seen the sound file leaks and or the character models in the video?

marco-polo

Smash Rookie
See that's the thing though, the tipper versus the balanced blade radically changes how they're supposed to be played. Marth will often sourspot if your spacing is off, so you're forced to maintain your distance from your opponent unless you're trying for a sweet and sour combo. Lucina won't, so you do have the capability to get in very close and fight as effectively as you would at range. Likewise, not attacking at ranges which Marth would sourspot at are missed opportunities for Lucina, because she won't be punished the same way Marth would for a weak attack. Playing Lucina like Marth is somewhat inefficient, then, and playing Marth like Lucina is a very bad idea.

The characters are absolutely identical except for one property, but that one property dictates a great deal of how the character is meant to be played.
You are right with the property but how the game is design and with Marth and Lucina both having so much lag in there moves, they both are not close up fighters and must space their opponent. Like you say that Lucina could go up close but same as Marth, but the thing is that the tipper > balance blade and tipper has more benefits. While yes in theory that Lucina is better close up but in a real match, anything goes. Even if you keep on hitting sourspot with Marth, you could still have the chances to hit with the tipper hence why everyone would say that Marth is better than Lucina. How it is now, Marth is much a better choice then Lucina, this is why I kinda want to the adjust the clones so they have a bigger advantages and disadvantages from their original. But again I understand that they free content and Roy is pay DLC and this is why they work on him more than the other clones.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Marth's sourspots are actually safer on shield than Lucina's attacks. But still no reason for them to fight up-close due to how ineffective it is nad doing so on character like Falcon is going to leave a mark to your face.

Ideally IMO, playing Lucina should be playing like Marth, who space his attacks, despite the lack of tipper in Lucina's Falchion, because simply that's the only way she can be the most safe when executing her attacks.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Sakurai you are a legend!!! Ryu looks sweet.

I can foresee a Tekken character in the future!!!

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
This is insane! I can't wait to try out Ryu's advanced input moves! Sadly, I woke up late and missed the Roy reveal, but I'll see if I can watch a replay later. But today though!?!? This is so hype!

R.I.P. in pepperonis Wii U shop's servers.

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Man I love the effort Mr. Sakurai is putting in on this game. SO MUCH CONTENT. No money.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If I remember correctly, I don't have enough cash on my eShop balance to get all of those. Might as well start adding some more using my trusty old debit card.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Apparently it's $20 for all characters + costumes + stages for Wii U. And $30 for Wii U and 3DS bundle.

Last edited:

Kwinston

Smash Cadet
NNID
KWINSTON
Gosh darn it! I can't afford most of the DLC that came out! Screw it! I am selling my 3DS version of Sm4sh! I don't play it anyway... I need a job.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Too bad Ryu's more broken than Chrom's heart after seeing Roy make it.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Boy am I glad I didn't check Smashboards for a few days... Can't you guys make it so that I can come here without getting leaks in mah face? :p

Valentine22

Smash Rookie
At least, it's fine for Melee fans but I still don't see the point of adding Roy to this roster... We already had 4 FE characters and he won't add any original things to the gameplay.

And Ryu, I'm not hype at all for a character who has so little link to Nintendo and comes from another fighting game. Basically nothing great to expect for his gameplay.

Now, I'm just hoping there won't be only Wolf after that 'cause I want to see an ORIGINAL character :/
You get what you get. This isn't M.U.G.E.N.

Top Bottom