• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

First Footage of Roy and Ryu Found In Leak!

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Geez oh Pete, for those of you little babies whining about "the roster being ruined" because Roy is added, might I remind you that this game has over 40 completely unique fighters with NO similarities to each other, and that's before DLC.

Anything added to this game is simply icing on a HUGE, DELICIOUS, and totally filling cake!!

Don't like it? Don't buy it. Plain and simple.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
So jab -> crouching short -> dragon punch FADC - > Ultra 1 is the new 0% -> 65% combo, right? Who's hyped for this? Just me? Nah, can't be.

I am glad Roy is back and especially looking like his Fire Emblem: Awakening Roy. It looks awesome. I wonder how they are going to handle him with the Roy Koopa though.

I love that Nintendo has finally joined the current gen practices and has embraced DLC. I just hope they continue to do it right and not fall into the trapping of other major publishers and developers. *cough*EABungieActivisionUbiSoft*cough*

Man I can't wait to see some Ryu game play! Gawd I hope Roy isn't 80% Marth like Lucina is.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Why wouldn't they? Street Fighter is more or less their flagship title now, and Ryu is the most popular and recognizable character in the franchise. And the fighting game community is more or less crap anyways, with or without Ryu in Smash. Also, it looks fake? This is not the Gematsu leaks, and this is not the ArtsyOmni hoax; this is an ESRB-tier leak.
Why wouldn't they? Because Capcom would lose respect from the Fighting game community, I can't remember how many times Street Fighter players talk bad and write bad sentence meanings towards Smash the game. Is Capcom really that desperate? I don't believe Combofeind would allow this. Meh I'll see what happens tomorrow since they write Lucas is due to be released tomorrow. Thanks.

Last edited:

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX

"Do you scrubs really think that that one more clone will take away a significant character's spot? We're in the DLC age, kiddies, as much as I may not like it. Our resources aren't that limited. Just because clones exist doesn't mean someone else won't. #AllHailDarkPit"

Okay, I actually don't know how Sakurai thinks; I'm just milking the joke with that one. Seriously though, some like to think about the inclusion of one character as objectively replacing another one's possibility of existence. Some still think that not working on Dark Pit and Dr. Mario would've allowed for Mewtwo to get in early, when those clones were bonus characters because they had no time to make a new one.

With the era of DLC, they can likely get both characters like Roy, and whoever else in. I think the logic of some people is not "Because Roy's in they're not gonna add X, when they could've" (Because they STILL can add that character as DLC). I think it's more over "I would've much preferred to NOT see this character in in favor of someone else and rationalize it as the cahracter objectively replacing someone else's inclusion (even though that may not be the case)"

Also, roster's not ruined when there's so many other unique characters already, and the possibility for so many more unique characters.

Last edited:

ZeroxFate

Smash Rookie
ROYS OUR BOY ROYS OUR BOY. Also Ryu looks super cool. And has anyone seen that twitch stream 20 minute gameplay video of Lucas, Ryu, and Roy yet? Roy looks a BIT different than what he was in melee, in terms of attack.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
So does this also mean we will get one more character reveal tomorrow?
Considering we were supposed to get these two tomorrow, I doubt it.

This is like we peeked at our birthday presents early. Doesn't mean we're getting more as a result. ;)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
*Comes back from trip, goes to smashboards*
AHHHGHGHGHGHGHHHGHHGHAAAAAAAA!
*heart explodes*
*dies from too much hype, too fast*
1. Read the first half of the title of the article.

2. Log off for a while to recover before reading the rest.

3. Live to actually play the new characters.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Literally woke up and went to tumblr for updates on people I watch. Saw a Ryu victory video for SSB4 and instantly went to Smashboards. Hilarity insures.

Vonn Hennings

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alpha601
I wanna see a new Earthbound/mother stage and a Street Fighter Stage, then Life shall be good (Oh and Isaac from Golden Sun as a character :D )

NoMarthLeftBehind

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4098-3979-7704
That's sarcasm right there. Fire Emblem is overrepped when you place it next to true all-star series. It's gotten as many as Zelda, one behind Pokemon, and two behind Mario, whereas really large series like Kirby, DK, and Metroid only get 2 or 3. Honestly, Fire Emblem should've gotten lower priority. Just Roy/Robin would've been fine, but no, now we've got two Marth clones.

At least Roy looks cooler than Lucina.
I don't think series popularity should be counted, ever. If somebody's a good character who can have a good moveset, then they are viable for a spot. Mario 's series just doesn't have too many. Rosalina did NOT deserve a spot.

FE, on the other hand...

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I don't think series popularity should be counted, ever. If somebody's a good character who can have a good moveset, then they are viable for a spot. Mario 's series just doesn't have too many. Rosalina did NOT deserve a spot.

FE, on the other hand...
Rosalina definitely deserved her spot. I'm sorry, but she's a big name in Mario, she's popular, she had potential for a unique moveset, and she made people excited.

marco-polo

Smash Rookie
I not mad that Roy got in, but I am slightly mad that they took the time to semi clone him and not the other clones that are already in smash. Yes he is pay DLC and Lucina and Dark Pit were already in the game but still they could adjust them a little so they would not be a full blown clone. For example Lucina is to Marth like Pichu is to Pikachu, anything that Lucina could do, Marth could do it better. I really hope there will be a future update that would semi clone them.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
I hope that Roy actually turns out tournament viable and not like the mediocre Marth who completely lacks the "pizazz" he once had. And by pizazz, I mean real combos, and a real spike.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
If you haven't seen Roy's moveset yet. I suggest you look it up. Zero tweeted it, but I believe it was taken down. Shouldn't be too hard to find. I admit I was pretty indifferent when He first leaked, but damnnnn does he look like fun/ a strong character.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
I not mad that Roy got in, but I am slightly mad that they took the time to semi clone him and not the other clones that are already in smash. Yes he is pay DLC and Lucina and Dark Pit were already in the game but still they could adjust them a little so they would not be a full blown clone. For example Lucina is to Marth like Pichu is to Pikachu, anything that Lucina could do, Marth could do it better. I really hope there will be a future update that would semi clone them.
I think this is partly the fault of the players trying to play Lucina like they would Marth, which is highly inefficient and ends terribly. I've whacked several Marth players with Lucina over the past few months, probably because I was never a Marth player.

marco-polo

Smash Rookie
I think this is partly the fault of the players trying to play Lucina like they would Marth, which is highly inefficient and ends terribly. I've whacked several Marth players with Lucina over the past few months, probably because I was never a Marth player.
The thing is that they are the same, same frame data and moves and very very minor damage differences. So everything that Lucina could do, Marth could do also. But with the tipper, Marth could kill earlier and have longer range. There is no different play style that Lucina could play that would be better with her than with Marth. The only advantage that Lucina has over Marth is in Free-for-all because of her balance blade, but it's free for all which no one really have any advantage.

Late last night, the latest patch for Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS was accidentally released early in Japan. It was promptly taken down - but not before hackers and dataminers analyzed the new patch, and found footage of two new characters, Ryu and Roy! Both videos are short, as the footage found was of each character's Classic Mode victory short. Take a look!

Ryu's Victory Theme

Roy's Victory Theme
What remains to be seen is whether these two characters will be available come tomorrow when Lucas is released, or if they will still not be available until a later date. Either way, it's exciting to see these two new characters in action!

What do you think about this? Are you sad that the surprise has been ruined? Or just excited to see footage of new characters? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit doesn't like leaks, but given there was already evidence of this leak in the past, it's not as bad as it usually is. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.
Anybody else notice that Smashboards already changed the PM Roy to the Wii U one on the sites background wallpaper?

Late last night, the latest patch for Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS was accidentally released early in Japan. It was promptly taken down - but not before hackers and dataminers analyzed the new patch, and found footage of two new characters, Ryu and Roy! Both videos are short, as the footage found was of each character's Classic Mode victory short. Take a look!

Ryu's Victory Theme

Roy's Victory Theme
What remains to be seen is whether these two characters will be available come tomorrow when Lucas is released, or if they will still not be available until a later date. Either way, it's exciting to see these two new characters in action!

What do you think about this? Are you sad that the surprise has been ruined? Or just excited to see footage of new characters? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit doesn't like leaks, but given there was already evidence of this leak in the past, it's not as bad as it usually is. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.
I know this is irrelevant but I need help with something and nobody has replied to the thread I posted. I appreciate anybody who helps. Thanks!
http://smashboards.com/threads/adapter-for-playing-wii-on-old-tv-help.405996/

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Stoked for Ryu, surprised Capcom gets a 2nd rep. Maybe Namco will bring in Heihachi to challenge Ryu,or even better, Dig Dug!
Also, is it possible that Roy's just an alternate costume? Although we know that Sakurai is capable of great feats of odd thinking, would he really add another Marth clone to the roster? Is it possible that this is actually Eliwood?

This restores my hope in seeing Snake's epic return, even if its 5 years from now. God that'd be amazing. 2 years after the final dlc for the game has been made, a wiiu update is installed. You boot up smash and are greeted with Dun Dun Dun na na. DUN! DUN! DUN! (metal gear music)
SHOW TIME!

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960

FE, on the other hand...
Not sure why not. People like her and wasn't some random Peach clone #2. She's been in a couple of newer Mario games and yet to come. As much as I don't like her playstyle in this game, she was a shoe-in the moment this installment was announced.

And FE reps...well that's in the air.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584

"Do you scrubs really think that that one more clone will take away a significant character's spot? We're in the DLC age, kiddies, as much as I may not like it. Our resources aren't that limited. Just because clones exist doesn't mean someone else won't. #AllHailDarkPit"

Okay, I actually don't know how Sakurai thinks; I'm just milking the joke with that one. Seriously though, some like to think about the inclusion of one character as objectively replacing another one's possibility of existence. Some still think that not working on Dark Pit and Dr. Mario would've allowed for Mewtwo to get in early, when those clones were bonus characters because they had no time to make a new one.

With the era of DLC, they can likely get both characters like Roy, and whoever else in. I think the logic of some people is not "Because Roy's in they're not gonna add X, when they could've" (Because they STILL can add that character as DLC). I think it's more over "I would've much preferred to NOT see this character in in favor of someone else and rationalize it as the cahracter objectively replacing someone else's inclusion (even though that may not be the case)"

Also, roster's not ruined when there's so many other unique characters already, and the possibility for so many more unique characters.
Although this is incorrect in regards to the base roster, at least I can understand the thought process, but I cannot begin to fathom the confusion of ideas when people talk of DLC characters "replacing" one another.

Top Bottom