• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Firefox or Internet Explorer?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
<3 Wii Internet Channel

It works so well with the USB keyboard functionality!

Jammer

Smash Lord
I'd say: FireFox > Opera >> Safari > Exploder.

FireFox is only a tiny bit better than Opera, in my opinion (I've used both). They're practically equal.

I hate Safari. I hate IE even more.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm typing this using Safari on an eMac...

You guys thought IE was bad....sigh.

[Edit:]

Ok...Safari isn't all that bad. The UI's fairly sleek and it's actually fairly quick. Certainly quicker then IE. That being said, I don't like the way the tabs work and, coming from someone who likes Opera, it's just not customizable enough.

Safari on Apple machine > IE on Windows machine.

[Edit 2:]

The second I hit 'save,' Safari crashed. I'm pretty sure that's a sign from God or somebody that Safari sucks too.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
All told, I wind up using Firefox almost all the time. It's the little things, small features.

Every so often it won't be compatible with certain content though. (really the fault is MS for TRYING to make other browsers incompatible with their stuff)

Sensai

Smash Master
I'd post again, but it would just crash again. Apparently, you can't edit and save in Safari. Clearly, it saves, but it does crash.

Which sucks...

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
And yet you still prefer it over IE? ****.

You know what the best part about the computer cafe is? Nobody ever posts here. So when you do, your name stays on the index page practically forever, lol.

Oshiro Akina

Smash Journeyman
Definitely FF over IE any day.

I don't know about anyone else, but IE runs so much slower than FF. A lot of sites I go to when I'm using IE either don't load properly or gradually make the computer run slower and slower to the point where I'm forced to restart the computer, but I don't have that problem when I'm using FF.

Sensai

Smash Master
Actually, Oshiro, IE has gotten a lot better about speed. It's not as fast as Opera (ahem), and overall not as fast as FF....but it does have it beat on some issues.

And AltF4: I prefer anything over IE simply 'cause it isn't MS owned. Jeah, I know, it makes me look like a Linux zealot or a fanboy or whatever it is when it's dealing with computers, but it's true.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Okay, you know how I think FireFox and Opera are practically equal, if you ignore the open-source/closed-source difference between them?

Well, FireFox is now officially better in my eyes because it integrates so well with Linux, especially my Ubuntu machine. I have a whole list of "Ubuntu Add-ons" that you can't get with normal Firefox on a Windows machine.

Ubuntu can't do that with Opera, because Opera's closed source.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Jammer: True, definitely.

Firefox is DEFINITELY the best Linux browser, no questions asked. It's 'the gem of open-source.' The reason I persist in using Opera in it is because of the following:

a) it's comfortable to me by this point. The UI and the customization and familiarness (is this even a word?) of it makes me feel at home
b) the opening lag of FF just pisses me off for some reason
c) I don't really use extensions...

Oshiro Akina

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Oshiro, IE has gotten a lot better about speed. It's not as fast as Opera (ahem), and overall not as fast as FF....but it does have it beat on some issues.
Really? O_O Maybe it's just the computers or the connection at school that makes IE run really slow . . . =/

Jammer

Smash Lord
Guess who just tried out Firefox 3 beta 1?

That's right: me!

One word: FAST.

Three words: easy and pretty.

Seriously, I don't know what they did, but it's got to be at least 50% faster than Firefox 2, while using significantly less memory. Granted, I don't have any plugins installed, but still.

And it is terrifically beautiful. Even better than Opera for ease of use.

Mozilla really pulled through.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Hmmm... FF3 is not quite ready for Linux yet. I mean, I downloaded it, installed it, and ran it. Everything is fine, but there are a few bugs. Mainly, the text/fonts do not show up correctly, and the toolbars slightly overlap in an ugly fashion.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Weird. So am I. Maybe it's just a video card problem? But it's strange, because I often have video card trouble. Maybe yours is worse?

Sensai

Smash Master
Heh, I'm also on Gutsy. Haven't tried FF3 though...

But I will win it comes out. It seems to be getting rave reviews and it's about time that I switch to an open source browser for my open source experience.

Jammer

Smash Lord
How can you not already be using FireFox if you're on Ubuntu?

You're using Opera, aren't you? I guess that's okay. But if you're using Linux, FireFox is the way to go, if you ask me.

Sensai

Smash Master
Also: Buzz, I have new respect for you. I didn't know you ran on Linux.

Jammer: I use Opera on Linux simply 'cause I'm comfortable with it, like I said. I know my way around, I know how to customize what I want...etc. When FF3 comes out, though, I'll be inclined to take a hard look at it seeing how Opera hasn't released a solid update in...well, I don't know to be honest.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Also: Buzz, I have new respect for you. I didn't know you ran on Linux.
:laugh: Thanx! I abandoned Windows for good last year. I grew tired of wasted resources, serial keys, security vulnerabilities, Windows Genuine Disadvantage, etc etc etc

Linux is an answer to my prayers.

lovesafron

Smash Rookie
Both

Both have their advantage !
I have both in my pc only problem is firefox running slow when it installed with Ie any one helpme?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I have both in my pc only problem is firefox running slow when it installed with Ie any one helpme?
(1) -- Please use better grammar/spelling to help us understand your words.
(2) -- Use a LOT more detail. I have no clue what the exact problem is.

Jammer

Smash Lord
What do you mean "when it is installed with Internet Explorer"?

You can't uninstall IE. If you remove IE7, it will install IE6, at least on XP. I think it's downright impossible to remove IE7 from Vista. I might be wrong on this, so someone correct me if I am. Typical Windows anti-features.

If you mean it's slow when you have both IE and FireFox open, then the problem could very well be memory thrashing. Both IE and FireFox are rather memory-intensive programs (up to 200 MB each if you've left IE open with a lot of tabs for a long time, and if you have a lot of extensions installed on FireFox).

How much memory do you have in your computer? If it's 512 MB, then that's your problem. If it's a gig, then it still could be, but I doubt it.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
2/3 of my blog visitors use FireFox. ^_^

Jammer

Smash Lord
2/3 of my blog visitors use FireFox. ^_^
Heh, I've seen you post this exact statistic about 3 times now, Buzz.

How many of your blog visitors use Linux? Or Mac OSX, which is not as cool but still slightly better than Windows?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Heh, I've seen you post this exact statistic about 3 times now, Buzz.

How many of your blog visitors use Linux? Or Mac OSX, which is not as cool but still slightly better than Windows?
LOL! I keep posting the stat because as my numbers grow, the ratio tends to stay the same! Firefox people are drawn to my sites, I guess. And I love Firefox. ^_^

I'll get you those other stats later. I gotta head off to work now. :(

Sensai

Smash Master
Buzz: gimme a link to your site and I'll be one of the three (or less, I'm sure) Opera users to visit it. And I'm 99% sure that I'll be the only Linux-Opera user to visit it.

You guys are right...Linux + Opera = wrench in the mainframe.

Also, Smashboards is being gay and disallowing me from posting.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Buzz: gimme a link to your site and I'll be one of the three (or less, I'm sure) Opera users to visit it. And I'm 99% sure that I'll be the only Linux-Opera user to visit it.

You guys are right...Linux + Opera = wrench in the mainframe.

Also, Smashboards is being gay and disallowing me from posting.
It's in my sig.

Top Bottom