• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Firefox or Internet Explorer?

Sensai

Smash Master
Here, I'll go head and give you some more information about the browsers.

Speed charts:
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

Text:
http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html

If you CTRL-F on the charts and type in "Opera 9.01 - Windows", you're going to notice that it pretty much tops the list in a lot of tests. Also, note that this is NOT the latest version of Opera.

"Firefox 2.0 - Windows" is a lot further down. "Explorer 7.0" is even FARTHER down.

So, if you're lookin' for speed, Opera's your choice. IMO, if you're lookin' for customization, Opera's your choice.

Reliability, you're gonna want Explorer. Not because it's good or anything, but rather because everyone has it by default and therefor websites are coded so that Explorer can read them easily.

If you're lookin' for extensions (add ons, you know), then Firefox is for you. While Opera has addons, they're not nearly as good as FF. Also, FF is called 'the jewel of open source' because it's open source - anyone can do anything to it and release it. Also because of this, FF is more designed for Linux OSs.

So, there you have it. IE is ok for computer illiterate people, Opera's great for speed browsing, and FF is awesome for its addons. I had FF until a friend recommended Opera, which I tried and instantly loved. So, I suggest that. Try them all. Devote a week or so to each (except IE, which you've probably already given a lot of your life to).

Good luck and if you need any Opera help related stuff, send me a PM.

[Edit:]

The conclusion paragraph concerning Windows from that link:
So overall, Opera seems to be the fastest browser for Windows. Firefox is not faster than Internet Explorer, except for scripting, but for standards support, security and features, it is a better choice. However, it is still not as fast as Opera, and Opera also offers a high level of standards support, security and features.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Sensai said it all, pretty much.

Opera's fast, Firefox is customizable, and IE is, well, it's the most widely-used, so you never have trouble (except in security--and, while IE isn't standards-compliant, it doesn't matter because no one will use standards IE doesn't support).

I use Firefox so I can use the add-ons. Plus it's open source, which makes me happy to use it. I used Opera for a while, but when I reinstalled Ubuntu I lost it, and I don't think I'll switch to Opera again.

Firefox is fast enough for me. It starts in 4 seconds cold, and about 3 seconds warm. Page rendering is plenty fast--I can scroll around easily while the page is loading without any lag. So I don't worry about it.

But yeah, I'm a Firefox fanboy.

InsaneMonkey

Smash Cadet
I use Firefox. I may try Opera because of what you guys have said about it being fast and all. I'm kind of impatient...;-;

Jammer

Smash Lord
I use Firefox. I may try Opera because of what you guys have said about it being fast and all. I'm kind of impatient...;-;
Nah, it's not really noticeably faster unless you have a very slow computer; then pages that take 10 seconds to render will only take 8 or 9. The speed difference isn't that noticeable on medium and fast computers, at least to me.

Kaizer

Smash Journeyman
IE is a horrible browser.

I've used Firefox for a while now, and it's the best browser right now in my opinion. It's add-ons makes it light-weight for those who want that, and a heavy-weight for those who want that. It's also a very fast browser, and it supports web standards!

marilllove

Smash Rookie
I actually have all 3, but I think Firefox is the best. I love the add-ons and they're really useful. Opera is also very good. I don't like IE at all.

GOTM

Smash Champion
firefox destroys IE in almost every topic.

security, ease of use, speed, design

the only thing IE MAYBE has over mozilla is compatibility, but that is debatable because of the tremendous amount plugin discoveries recently

Jammer

Smash Lord
the only thing IE MAYBE has over mozilla is compatibility, but that is debatable because of the tremendous amount plugin discoveries recently
The sad thing is, Firefox is much more standards-compliant than IE. IE kind of does its own thing, not paying attention to the rules of the Internet, and website creators have to play to IE's strengths and weaknesses because it's the most used web browser.

But I've had Firefox work with every single site I've been to, with only one minor problem that I've seen: Pop-up menus sometimes appear behind other elements instead of on top, where they belong. But that's a minor annoyance, and it's actually an error in the site's code, not Firefox.

GOTM

Smash Champion
Pop-up menus sometimes appear behind other elements instead of on top, where they belong.
yeah ive noticed that too. also, with the game "gunbound", if any of you are familiar with it, and actually all other games made by ijji.com as well, they are only compatible with IE.

Mky762

Smash Journeyman
firefox is the greatest, everything is so easy to use, theirs pretty good ad ons and it owns IE in every way

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Firefox no doubt, I seriously hate IE, like, with a passion, it's so cluttered and ugly. my Crystal FF theme is sleek, sexy, HAS TABS(best thing ever), and autoblocks ALL adds/popups, no 170$ software required.

Jammer

Smash Lord
fierfox is soooo stupid ive never used it but i now its dum ie is so much better anyways it has tabs and is made by microsoft which is realy kewl so i now it has windows genuien advantige which firefox dosnt have

ie 7 is the best internet explorer on the world its so fast and works with everything even all online games which firefox dosnt becuase its made by noobs who woud be pwnd by mircosoft cuase microsoft has vista which is the best opreating sistem

Jammer

Smash Lord
Safari users? Anyone? Anyone?
Well, I used Safari on a Mac that my dad brought home from work once. It was my first real contact with OS X, and I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed (I think I'd actually prefer XP--but I'm a Linux user, so it doesn't matter). But about Safari: I used it for about half an hour, then downloaded Firefox. I don't know why, but I just couldn't get into it. There was nothing specifically wrong; it just didn't feel right.

Sensai

Smash Master
I use Safari on my iPhone...I really REALLY don't like it.

That being said, it's not indicative of what a full blown Safari experience would be. My roommate has a Mac and I can't stand Safari on that, either.

And Safari on Windows....is a joke.

(Yay Ubuntu users! Switch to Gutsy yet? I finally put Ubuntu on my laptop...was waiting for Gutsy to come out. Yay!)

Haruka's DNA

Smash Cadet
The average user won't be able to tell the difference between any of the mainstream browsers.

If you're an "advanced user" then you have some subtle differences to choose from, most of which I'd say that Sensei summed up adequately.

Except I want to try to dispel the security myth: IE isn't inherently more insecure than any of the other browsers. The vast majority of internet traffic is done on IE, therefore they are the biggest target for attack. More security vulnerabilities have been found (and fixed) in IE than the other browsers by sheer volume, but that says nothing about the rate at which they are found. It quite plausible (dare I say probable) that there are a greater number of potential security holes that haven't yet been found on Firefox than on IE, only we wouldn't ever really know.

To use an exaggerated example: Armored cars have been broken into more than Toyota Carola's. Does that make a Carola more secure than an armored car?

Jammer

Smash Lord
Except I want to try to dispel the security myth: IE isn't inherently more insecure than any of the other browsers. The vast majority of internet traffic is done on IE, therefore they are the biggest target for attack. More security vulnerabilities have been found (and fixed) in IE than the other browsers by sheer volume, but that says nothing about the rate at which they are found. It quite plausible (dare I say probable) that there are a greater number of potential security holes that haven't yet been found on Firefox than on IE, only we wouldn't ever really know.
Not quite true. While most hackers target IE because it's the most widely used, it doesn't account for the astounding number and severity of vulnerabilities found in IE.

Firefox has its problems, too, but they're usually fixed within a few days. Microsoft can take up to a month to patch even critical vulnerabilities.

I would expect that, since Firefox is open source, it would be a magnitude of difficulty easier to develop hacks for it. But, the number of vulnerabilities in Firefox remains quite a bit below IE.

Security analysts have pored over both browsers, and time and again they declare that Firefox is the safer of the two.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
open source apache takes over 60% of the web server market (beating Microsoft's IIS), but it has been proven that apache is still safer. can't remember the exact statistics, i read it somewhere.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Yeah, also Opera has like maybe one or two unpatched security vulnerabilities right now (and I don't think it's ever really had a critical one). The good thing about Opera, when it comes to security, is that it's closed source, so it's harder to make exploits, and it has like 1% of the market share, so there's no reason to make exploits.

Opera Software puts more emphasis on its browser's security than Microsoft, too.

I guess I'd still rather use an open source browser because I know that things will get fixed super duper fast, even if the company (Microsoft) doesn't care.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Firefox easily beats IE in a deadlock, although I do like IE7 a bit, due to that it took a big jump in features from IE6.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Firefox wins hands down. Internet Explorer is just there to be packaged with Microsoft Windows releases. Otherwise, there is no logic in sticking with IE. Firefox is more secure, and it offers the best free plugins/extensions. Microsoft charges money for their extensions (despite them being inferior). How lame is that? Use Firefox.

Banks

Smash Hero
i use firefox because since i use windowsblinds, iconpakcager etc, i need a browser that has a crapload of themes to match my computer, whatever it looks like at that time

Top Bottom