• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fireball/Pill Spammers And SONIC!!!

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
I can't do anything, while Luigi, Mario, or Dr. Mario are spamming their fireball/pill. Everytime I approach I get hit. It's easier to deal with Link since I can walk towards him while shielding, but these characters can throw out projectiles non-stop that I can't move without taking damage from it. If I roll past it they would know and grab or attack me. So how do you approach someone who spams fireballs/pills?

Another problem I have is SONIC!!! The annoying little blue hedgehog. I mean I can float over him when he charges his spin, but whenever I do that he would go past under me and charge his spin again. He's also confusing, because I just fought a very good japanese player who's just moving too fast. I can hear the charging sound, but I don't see sonic charge at all. It's like charge here, run there, roll back (I don't even know now). Even though they ran toward me it would just fool me and I would do an attack and they punish me.... Also when they really are going for a dash attack somehow I get hit even if I spot dodge it. It's very hard to follow him, too, because he's just THAT fast... Does anybody know how to deal with him AND the spammers?

negativepenalty

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2664-3464-4243
I have the same problem with Sonic. For me it seems like an uphill battle due to the fact that I can never pin him down. He has easy tools to get out of pressure and because of his speed he can just hit and run all match. I'm sick of trying to find an answer with Peach so I just play another character to help with that match up.

Mario and Doc aren't so bad. Since they are spamming fireballs most the time you can capitalize on it with well space forward airs. Running in and shielding is fine too at a certain distance, perfect shielding fireballs is your best friend just because you can get a grab in or f-tilt. I learned to never roll in or spot dodge the fireballs because every Mario player loves to spam their smash attacks.The match feels like kind of a grind but once you discourage them from using fireballs they tend to fall apart.

Only fireball spammer I seem to be troubled with is Pit. I find the range of his attacks to be troublesome and his arrows are the most obnoxious thing for me to deal with because he can track you with them. Arrows and random side-b just gets to me sometimes. I can beat him offline just online feels so gimmicky.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
With sonic I usually try not to play his game but wait to see what reactions he can do. I know you're not supposed to challenge spin dash but I do with back air and nair since it works. For Doctor Mario I try to duck the pills by crouching and floating over pills.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
You can turnip sonic out of his moves before they hit you. Side B to aerial combo can be completely avoided.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
If you're good when it comes to aiming Turnip throws, you can jump around Fireballs/Pills and throw a Turnip to hit people who like to throw Fireballs non-stop to build up some damage. You can also Fair through Fireballs and actually hit your opponent with the Fair which is pretty cool (this is very difficult to do consistently though so only use it when the opportunity arises or you'll eat a Fireball/possible follow up!).

Perfect shielding them and approaching slowly until you're in range where it's no longer safe for your opponent to keep throwing out Fireballs is a pretty good way to go. I personally like to mix it up every now and then by approaching from the air/jumping over them and, for example, fastfalling a spaced Fair to catch out them out during the end lag.

An alternative to shielding Fireballs is using F Tilt as it clanks with Fireballs and can serve as an anti air move in the event of your opponent throwing something else out at close range.

Patience is the absolute key in dealing with Fireballs. Be prepared for whatever your opponent follows up with as well! I've had instances where I've shielded the Fireball only to find that I've been as a result of trying to avoid the Fireball!

For Sonic, Floating/SH/FH Dair is a good as they will cut through both Spin Dash and Spin Charge. Sonic will be approaching from the ground and retreating Floating Dairs can help stop him in his tracks. Be careful of Homing Attack though! This rises and hits at the perfect height to knock you out of a Floating Dair. Also be exceptionally careful of Up Smash - I've had this move catch me out during Dair attempts and been KO'd at around 90-100% which is very unpleasant.

Ground Floating Nair now loses to both Spin Dash/Spin Charge if they are fully (or near fully) charged. This is very, very important to remember especially if you were used to fighting Sonic in Brawl. Partially charged spin dashes will trade hits with Ground Floating Nairs. If Sonic is spin dashing back on stage then go for a Floating Nair/Bair. Strangely, our Nair beats out his Fair.

Don't spotdodge Sonic's Dash Attack - shield the whole move and wait either for him to go past you or for the 'kick' part of the move to finish. Then drop your shield and Grab/Dash Attack him. If you shield a spin dash + aerial follow up, chase after him and hit him whilst he's still in the air!

The important thing is not to play Sonic's game - don't let him overwhelm you with his speed (easier said than done). He's fast but there are definite points at which you can punish him.

Hope that helps a bit - they're certainly not the most enjoyable match ups!

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
For the most part I've been letting the plumbers kill themselves with impatience. the more collected ones you gotta break with grabs and spaced attack. If I see the opportunity to float overhead I take it for me it's better they are on the ground looking to punish float than in my air space.

Sonics I just lame out with turnips to put a nix on the mobility.

Doesn't work everyone but I've been getting by.

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
Okay I ser that mostly Turnips are my way to victory. I still have to practice battling against Sonic, but thanks for the tips. I'll think about these when I battle him and the spammers. Thank you everyone. It will really help me. :b:

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
Fought a Sonic last night

The two part Spin attack was tricky but other than that his limited range and propensity towards aggression was easy for me to punish.

Up Smash beats his Dair btw. ..... Peach Upsmash beats about any approach from the air (minus swords like link)

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
Fought a Sonic last night

The two part Spin attack was tricky but other than that his limited range and propensity towards aggression was easy for me to punish.

Up Smash beats his Dair btw. ..... Peach Upsmash beats about any approach from the air (minus swords like link)
Well I didn't know that. This will definitely come in handy. Thank you!!!

Top Bottom