• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem Fates Discussion

What side are you picking first?

• Total voters

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Talk about your waifu, thoughts on the mechanics and what side your going to pick first.

Any thing after the big decision and info revealed after it was released is spoilers and please don't spoil the game for us people that are hyped.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'll probably play Birthright first, just because I like being the good guys. I plan on picking up both, though.

EDIT: Although if they can pull off the narrative in Conquest then I'll probably play that first. It has way more potential to be a genuinely complex story where I feel like Birthright is going to be more of a traditional "Good kingdom vs. evil empire" kind of story.

Last edited:

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
I'll probably play Birthright first, just because I like being the good guys. I plan on picking up both, though.

EDIT: Although if they can pull off the narrative in Conquest then I'll probably play that first. It has way more potential to be a genuinely complex story where I feel like Birthright is going to be more of a traditional "Good kingdom vs. evil empire" kind of story.
Yeah, the story actually seems a lot better than awakening's and goes back to the mid evil type plot. Destroy that village or hate that one because of past experiences. I want to pick the Nohr first though since I like the darker vibe and it's more difficult.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I'm planning to buy all three routes, but I will buy the Nohr game first. All my favorite characters are there. :p

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
>No third path option.

Okey :4ness:

So much controversy regarding this game.

I'll still probably pick it up whenever I have the Chance :p
I think you have to pick one side than you have the option for neutral as dlc.

I'm so hyped for dis game.
I know. It's already out in japan but WE have to wait for a year. It's like pokemon black and white all over again.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
I think you have to pick one side than you have the option for neutral as dlc.

I know. It's already out in japan but WE have to wait for a year. It's like pokemon black and white all over again.
Yeah, that sucks.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Ignoring the "waifu" part, I'm pretty excited about the game. I would have to play two walkthroughs to decide which side best works well for me.

EDIT: Who's Camilla anyway?

Last edited:

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Ignoring the "waifu" part, I'm pretty excited about the game. I would have to play two walkthroughs to decide which side best works well for me.

Camilla is the purple haired girl with the big "Emblems" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

The game is going to be like pokemon in the way that you have to buy the path ahead of time by buying that version.

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
I've been playing "If" (Japanese version) for the past week now and loving it! I chose Hoshido but I'm more interested in seing the Nohr side in English!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Explains herself.

(You want to join me in) the path of Nohr...

Anyways, just judging by all the footage and information we have, Fates looks like it has the potential to be one of my favorite games of all time. This Fire Emblem integrates so many facets I lust for from multiarching story games. Story path progression, multiple story perspectives, three campaigns, more character interactions, more player customization, an expanded barracks, legacy characters!

The Japanese version is out already. Can anyone give me a confirm on how exactly the version split affects which path you take? Because if both decisions are fixed on both versions, that's going to impact the dramatic tension of the first six chapters hard.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Looks like Fates has taken almost everything introduced or reworked from Awakening and expands on it to the point where Awakening dulls in almost every department upon comparison. The fact that they're introducing elements from some of the older, more 'hardcore' games just sweetens the deal.

For example, the Einjerhar recruitable through SpotPass or as DLC didn't feel fully realized and shoddily executed. What we got were basically generic custom units that were head swaps from models of existing units with different splash art. It barely felt like you were playing as your fan-favorite Marth or Roy or whoever else. At least with the amiibo and the TCG Cipher do the legacy characters actually have unique assets and abilities, plus the fact that they're characterized like themselves.

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
Well okay then...

As far is the game is concerned, I wonder if it'll be as awesome as Awakening was.
So far I'm not understating a word (other than the basic Japanese words) and I'm enjoying it much more than awakening!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Hopefully, my current Lunatic mode file of Awakening is conditioning me for Nohr. I suppose playing any other FE other than Scared Stones would be more appropriate for the tight structure, but money and rarity are shiz.

I'm planning to do Hoshido on Lunatic and Nohr on Normal for my first playthroughs. Will play each to the point where I'm always on the same chapter before continuing.

finalark

SNORLAX
For anyone who's playing Japanese Birthright: Is the story morally complex at all or is it a more or less a "good kingdom vs. evil empire" sort of deal? Because I like both linear and non-linear FE, so I'll like the game no matter which one I play first. Now it's coming down to narrative.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Hopefully, my current Lunatic mode file of Awakening is conditioning me for Nohr. I suppose playing any other FE other than Scared Stones would be more appropriate for the tight structure, but money and rarity are shiz.

I'm planning to do Hoshido on Lunatic and Nohr on Normal for my first playthroughs. Will play each to the point where I'm always on the same chapter before continuing.
Lunatic? I thought that was impossible! Hard is hard for me.

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
N O H R B O Y Z

Picking that one up first, I don't like my fire emblems too easy, so I really hope Nohr is actually difficult and not the lame lunatic mode. (yay for no more only route levels)

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
For anyone who's playing Japanese Birthright: Is the story morally complex at all or is it a more or less a "good kingdom vs. evil empire" sort of deal? Because I like both linear and non-linear FE, so I'll like the game no matter which one I play first. Now it's coming down to narrative.
As I mentioned earlier, I'm having a hard time understanding the story (due to not knowing much Japanese), but from the looks of it, it seems like the Nohr Kingdom feels as if you betrayed them... somewhat sad... just completed the chapter where you fight Camilla. The game starts off with the avatar battling side by side with Nohr, then in chapter 6 you choose a side.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Lunatic? I thought that was impossible! Hard is hard for me.
Currently on Paralogue 1. Generally speaking, Lunatic is almost always a masochistic reset fest. However, once you get most of your party to be on par with enemy stats per your course in the main story and memorize the map and strategies, it becomes rewarding. I'd recommend clearing Hard first so you know what you want to do with your army your second time around.

Since the press releases and impressions indicate that Hoshido is much easier than Nohr, I'm going to set it to Lunatic so it's "on par" with the stricter progressions of Nohr.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Currently on Paralogue 1. Generally speaking, Lunatic is almost always a masochistic reset fest. However, once you get most of your party to be on par with enemy stats per your course in the main story and memorize the map and strategies, it becomes rewarding. I'd recommend clearing Hard first so you know what you want to do with your army your second time around.

Since the press releases and impressions indicate that Hoshido is much easier than Nohr, I'm going to set it to Lunatic so it's "on par" with the stricter progressions of Nohr.
K. Hard is my second run and I've had to reset a couple of times, mostly because I try to train everyone about equally. I can only imagine how hard it is to keep the villager alive(I forgot his name). I don't think Nohr will be lunatic hard but it will definitely prepare you. You could pick lunatic Nohr lol.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Do you have Classic enabled? My resets usually come from key units dying or my "3 character deaths = reset allowed" rule being triggered (or i just loopholed around it by killing Chrom or MU!) The only death I've suffered thus far was Kellam.

The Villager is Donnel. He should level up at least once in no time when I forged a Bronze Lance with more Might and Hit, paired him up with Frederick, and boxing the Archers upon wave clear for him to kill.

Lunatic Nohr will probably be my 2nd playthrough after the 3rd campaign. You;d probably be fine doing it 1st on Hard anyway.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Do you have Classic enabled? My resets usually come from key units dying or my "3 character deaths = reset allowed" rule being triggered (or i just loopholed around it by killing Chrom or MU!) The only death I've suffered thus far was Kellam.

The Villager is Donnel. He should level up at least once in no time when I forged a Bronze Lance with more Might and Hit, paired him up with Frederick, and boxing the Archers upon wave clear for him to kill.

Lunatic Nohr will probably be my 2nd playthrough after the 3rd campaign. You;d probably be fine doing it 1st on Hard anyway.
When a unit dies most of the time I just restart unless I'm not too attached to the character and I'm very close to the end and already failed 3 or 4 times. Of course I have classic enabled, playing it on casual ruins the experience to a big degree.

Donnel is pretty OP if you train him up a lot. I did what you did forged a bronze lance to the max so he can level easy. I only had a problem with keeping him alive in the paralogue 1 since I had to level him up and at that time he had terrible stats lol.

Tangamanga

Scrublord
NNID
Tangamanga
3DS FC
1650-3266-1148
When a unit dies most of the time I just restart unless I'm not too attached to the character and I'm very close to the end and already failed 3 or 4 times. Of course I have classic enabled, playing it on casual ruins the experience to a big degree.

Donnel is pretty OP if you train him up a lot. I did what you did forged a bronze lance to the max so he can level easy. I only had a problem with keeping him alive in the paralogue 1 since I had to level him up and at that time he had terrible stats lol.
I'm playing a no pairup lunatic run, Donnel was pretty much impossible to train haha :(

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Playing the third path at the moment. Gonna play Hoshido afterwards, but probably going to wait for the english release for Nohr.

I like Hoshido more than third path based on what I played of both so far. :/

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
N O H R B O Y Z
*ahem*
I plan on playing Nohr-> Hoshido -> Invisible Kingdom (DLC Path). Spoiling the game for myself but it's not ruining my hype for the game. After reading a lot of story dialogue, I'm not really liking Kamui as a character but eh.

PvP is going to be interesting despite the fact that there will be more hacked characters like in Shadow Dragon.

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
if I can play the core game without dealing with this weird wish fulfillment, sexualized, waifu worship thing that started in awakening (and is being pumped up to 11 in this one), I might consider it.

I really don't like the direction awakening took the series in. I really don't like where it's headed. but I'll wait and see what the final verdict is.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
So, could you tell me everything that Awakening did that made it unenjoyable to you? Taking what you said about how it handles character supports and marriage, it sounds like you're aiming down the entire experience to one myopic scope around a feature. The latter of which can be completely mitigated at a difficulty cost.

Look, if there's anyone to blame the whole "waifu" pandering thing on, your criticism should be aimed at a vocal contingent of the fanbase Awakening incepted. I get that hearing obnoxious fanboys talk up the series to be some sort of harem fanservice reel can turn people off from it. IMO, I think its awfully childish of those people to objectify the characters down to synthetic trophy spouses. It really sells there characters and the games short. Not to mention, it just reeks of desperation.

But I digress. The gameplay for Fates is definitely much more hardcore than Awakening's was, and that's going to define the main breadth of the experience. The story and tone also look much more serious, closer to the older games.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
if I can play the core game without dealing with this weird wish fulfillment, sexualized, waifu worship thing that started in awakening (and is being pumped up to 11 in this one), I might consider it.

I really don't like the direction awakening took the series in. I really don't like where it's headed. but I'll wait and see what the final verdict is.
Awakening saved the series though. The marriage system is also a very good new feature(or reintroduced) and the pair up option adds more to the game. Some things I do feel they went too far in like petting and touching bodies I mean it's too far and the quotes. The game is going to be amazing regardless though.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
First of all, Hoshida for life. The King of Nohr looks like Ganondorf died and someone put him in a freezer

Second, love the story, but I don't like how the dialogue is written so that you think "I ship it" when an opposite gendered character interacts with your avatar

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
So hyped to get this game as a proud FE fan. I was originally starting with Conquest, but decided on getting Birthright instead. But I do plan on getting both eventually.

Birthright has the better music, while Conquest has the better variety in game-play (especially compared to Awakening's only two objectives which made the map design and game-play boring to me) and the person I plan on marrying in Fates. I'm more appealed to Conquest, but I'll still make the most out of Birthright.

Story's entirely subjective. I'm avoiding spoilers and looking with an open mind that each side has a story with some hidden depth pr meaning.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I was hyped.
I even went to attempt to purchase it yesterday, the GameStop was sold out.

However, today I have learned NoA's localization went far beyond removing facepetting and 'gay-curing.'
No, now those seem like red herrings or false flags. Distractions, or weapons used to justify further changes.

Here's just one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wjaX0orUSM&feature=youtu.be
No spoilers in the video. It literally contains nothing. Not literally, but figuratively. If you want what was there in the Japanese version...
AND want to learn more about the butchery of characters, plot-points, memery (I, too, am a fan of dank memes, however, I don't like them in my srs bsns), and sometimes the deletion of scenes (now, I may agree that I like the Treehouse's version better in one regard or another, but even the most blatant of shills must realize the ridiculous degree of meddling and find fault with at least one instance)...

Then check this IMGUR link out for a large portion of the changes: (Spoilers, duh) https://imgur.com/a/Imgtu

I'm willing to put off my purchase to see if I can do something about this, as I view these changes as unacceptable. Something probably illegal. I've zero hope that NoA will 'fix' this.

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I was hyped.
I even went to attempt to purchase it yesterday, the GameStop was sold out.

However, today I have learned NoA's localization went far beyond removing facepetting and 'gay-curing.'
No, now those seem like red herrings or false flags. Distractions, or weapons used to justify further changes.

Here's just one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wjaX0orUSM&feature=youtu.be
No spoilers in the video. It literally contains nothing. Not literally, but figuratively. If you want what was there in the Japanese version...
AND want to learn more about the butchery of characters, plot-points, memery (I, too, am a fan of dank memes, however, I don't like them in my srs bsns), and sometimes the deletion of scenes (now, I may agree that I like the Treehouse's version better in one regard or another, but even the most blatant of shills must realize the ridiculous degree of meddling and find fault with at least one instance)...

Then check this IMGUR link out for a large portion of the changes: (Spoilers, duh) https://imgur.com/a/Imgtu

I'm willing to put off my purchase to see if I can do something about this, as I view these changes as unacceptable. Something probably illegal. I've zero hope that NoA will 'fix' this.
The textbook example of taking elements from the localization out of context. There is so much wrong in this post that I’ll just focus on main points.

The Saizo-Beruka C support is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Sure, I would have preferred Treehouse to keep their conversation on why both characters are pretty messed up due to their occupations. What you wisely neglected to mention was that the rest of the support conversation remains intact and still goes on normally. Beruka’s problem in the localization extends far away from one support she has with a character that can only be accessed in Revelations.

None of the localized jokes in FE Fates takes away from the overall plot. Are we so quick to forget that Awakening had its own share of stupid jokes? The one liners in Awakening did not detract from the game’s [subpar] plot. For Fates, the rough translated plot from the JPN version was very dull to read through. The characters spoke as if they came straight out of an anime where occasionally one of the characters would crack a funny quip then drone on for more lines.

The images in that Imgur gallery are all cherry picked in favor of blatantly whining over the localization changes. Rather than focus on these one liners, why not focus on elements that were kept in? For example, the Beach Brawl DLC was just released and had the royals in swimsuits. Naturally, many fans thought Camilla’s would get censored yet that piece of artwork remains untouched. Funny how one of the more suggestive CG present in the game is left intact yet people are ******** about minor text changes.

If these small changes take away from your enjoyment of a Fire Emblem game then you honestly weren't playing for the strategy elements that was advertised. Stop trying to blow small changes out of proportion as if it’s the end of the world.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The textbook example of taking elements from the localization out of context. There is so much wrong in this post that I’ll just focus on main points.

The Saizo-Beruka C support is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Sure, I would have preferred Treehouse to keep their conversation on why both characters are pretty messed up due to their occupations. What you wisely neglected to mention was that the rest of the support conversation remains intact and still goes on normally. Beruka’s problem in the localization extends far away from one support she has with a character that can only be accessed in Revelations.

None of the localized jokes in FE Fates takes away from the overall plot. Are we so quick to forget that Awakening had its own share of stupid jokes? The one liners in Awakening did not detract from the game’s [subpar] plot. For Fates, the rough translated plot from the JPN version was very dull to read through. The characters spoke as if they came straight out of an anime where occasionally one of the characters would crack a funny quip then drone on for more lines.

The images in that Imgur gallery are all cherry picked in favor of blatantly whining over the localization changes. Rather than focus on these one liners, why not focus on elements that were kept in? For example, the Beach Brawl DLC was just released and had the royals in swimsuits. Naturally, many fans thought Camilla’s would get censored yet that piece of artwork remains untouched. Funny how one of the more suggestive CG present in the game is left intact yet people are ******** about minor text changes.

If these small changes take away from your enjoyment of a Fire Emblem game then you honestly weren't playing for the strategy elements that was advertised. Stop trying to blow small changes out of proportion as if it’s the end of the world.
Ha!
You've revived my interest and hopes.

However, the rhetoric you've used is against all objection, yet you neglect to mention the other objections in particular. I cannot accept "just focusing on the main points," and I hope that fellow fans see your lack of rigor and commitment.

I do remember Awakening and its stupid jokes, and its peculiar characterization, however, in my recollection they were not to this degree, and not so immersion breaking or utterly ridiculous as to divest me of the story or characters in such frequency. There are too many anachronisms and references, the degree and apparentness of which weren't in Awakening. They destroy hopes of immersion to those with a modicum of cultural awareness, as it takes directs people to reflect on outer things.
On characters, Izana's characterization is so out of believably for what he originally was and represented that I cannot find his newfound playfulness redeeming.
Next, Hisame focusing around pickles--AN OBJECT--rather than characteristics or inner traits? That is called a flat character due to lack of internal complexity, and undue attention is brought to it. By the appearance of it, his Japanese characterization had said inner traits and characteristics.
And, you cannot pass away the Saizo-Beruka objection so easily, I hope to make that clear in the last paragraph, however I would agree with your point that much of the content is locked behind extra paywalls--that's another criticism, and one infinitely apparent to all consumers so often that it barely needs mention: we always seek more for less.
Lastly, Nintendo of America skirts around certain touchy subjects which would be to its writing merit to discuss.
Nintendo of America does a disservice by all this, of what easily could be.

This is poor story writing, if it is to be believed that the objective of the writing is to present a quality dramatic literary experience. In this regard, Fates fails. I point this out, and yet you object.

Did I object to its gameplay? Must I include with every criticism a praise of good points? Or, even, a criticism of the JPN version's seemingly boring plot and stereotyped anime characters, and how the ENG version may have fixed it? (I admit, I've not seen the rough translation, but being rough I suspect it devoid of nuance.)
And, I believe it's you who's blowing my reaction out of proportion, rather than I blowing the changes out of proportion. It is the duty of the consumer to object when something doesn't meet their taste. It is their duty to flee immediately to a suitable alternative or take matters into their own hands. It is the duty of the consumer to complain about the smallest unpleasantness. This is not baseness, nor is it selfish--indeed, the consumer is an arbiter, whose sole purpose is to arbitrate on whatever basis they please. The law of subjective valuation makes clear that no objective moral quality can be attached to a person preferring to use their money for something else, or attempting to inform their fellow consumer of the crimes, real or perceived, of a producer. What I offer, and I hope people see the rhetoric I used in my initial post and realize it is not as extreme as you seem to think as I make concessions, is criticism, straight from a fellow fan. Take it for what it is, rather than what it is not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How do I get a Dragonstone+? I'm nearly about to beat Revelations and I still have a normal Dragonstone which is very weak...lol

Top Bottom