• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem Fates Discussion

What side are you picking first?

• Total voters

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Ha!
You've revived my interest and hopes.

However, the rhetoric you've used is against all objection, yet you neglect to mention the other objections in particular. I cannot accept "just focusing on the main points," and I hope that fellow fans see your lack of rigor and commitment.

I do remember Awakening and its stupid jokes, and its peculiar characterization, however, in my recollection they were not to this degree, and not so immersion breaking or utterly ridiculous as to divest me of the story or characters in such frequency. There are too many anachronisms and references, the degree and apparentness of which weren't in Awakening. They destroy hopes of immersion to those with a modicum of cultural awareness, as it takes directs people to reflect on outer things.
On characters, Izana's characterization is so out of believably for what he originally was and represented that I cannot find his newfound playfulness redeeming.
Next, Hisame focusing around pickles--AN OBJECT--rather than characteristics or inner traits? That is called a flat character due to lack of internal complexity, and undue attention is brought to it. By the appearance of it, his Japanese characterization had said inner traits and characteristics.
And, you cannot pass away the Saizo-Beruka objection so easily, I hope to make that clear in the last paragraph, however I would agree with your point that much of the content is locked behind extra paywalls--that's another criticism, and one infinitely apparent to all consumers so often that it barely needs mention: we always seek more for less.
Lastly, Nintendo of America skirts around certain touchy subjects which would be to its writing merit to discuss.
Nintendo of America does a disservice by all this, of what easily could be.

This is poor story writing, if it is to be believed that the objective of the writing is to present a quality dramatic literary experience. In this regard, Fates fails. I point this out, and yet you object.

Did I object to its gameplay? Must I include with every criticism a praise of good points? Or, even, a criticism of the JPN version's seemingly boring plot and stereotyped anime characters, and how the ENG version may have fixed it? (I admit, I've not seen the rough translation, but being rough I suspect it devoid of nuance.)
And, I believe it's you who's blowing my reaction out of proportion, rather than I blowing the changes out of proportion. It is the duty of the consumer to object when something doesn't meet their taste. It is their duty to flee immediately to a suitable alternative or take matters into their own hands. It is the duty of the consumer to complain about the smallest unpleasantness. This is not baseness, nor is it selfish--indeed, the consumer is an arbiter, whose sole purpose is to arbitrate on whatever basis they please. The law of subjective valuation makes clear that no objective moral quality can be attached to a person preferring to use their money for something else, or attempting to inform their fellow consumer of the crimes, real or perceived, of a producer. What I offer, and I hope people see the rhetoric I used in my initial post and realize it is not as extreme as you seem to think as I make concessions, is criticism, straight from a fellow fan. Take it for what it is, rather than what it is not.
The fact that they sold more copies of Fates than Awakening (which was the best selling Fire Emblem game prior) in the US and in Japan means that they're doing fine when it comes to advertising and selling the game. While complaining about the localization is fine (and expected since we're more exposed to the japanese version than with prior games), expecting your choice to not buy fates to impact how they handle localization in the future is simply idealistic thinking, since a HUGE majority of players will be perfectly fine with the localization either way. If you don't want to buy the game, don't buy it, but don't expect that to do anything. Even if a few fans (in comparison to the units in the hundred thousands sold so far in the US) complain about minuscule details in regards to the localization, the reality is that the game sold and is still selling well and that the localization itself is for the most part fine.

A lot of what is being pointed out is either typos (which are in a vast majority of games with a lot of text. It looks unprofessional, but it happens anyways. It's like pointing a typo out in a book. Congratulations. No one cares), jokes (which is a topic that is very open to opinion on if it's good or not), out of place personalities (again, same as prior. Izana's personality being given extra flair can easily go either way depending on who you ask), small details being left out, "pointless" things being added (Elise's age also lines up with her voice actor, Hisame's pickle addition makes it so his character is less comparable to the other kids, etc. While it's understandable to not like these things kind of, there are very easy to find and logical reasons as to which they were added), and one support conversation that was either left out of the game on accident or tree house thought would fit their personality types (which fits for Beruka, but not nearly as much for Saizo unless they already know about one another's pasts, which they could based on their support conversation in the Japanese version).

You can take a lot of things in a video game, pull it out of context, and make it seem like it harms the whole game. While you are free to complain or criticize as a consumer, the reality is that if what you were pointing out meant anything to a vast majority of players, the game wouldn't sell well, especially after the fit people had about Awakening. Everything pointed out in the imgur has little to no impact on the whole game, and expecting them to change small things like this because a few fans aren't willing to buy the games simply won't happen.

If you want to play the game in its original glory, buy the Japanese version, make sure your 3DS doesn't go to 1.0.6 firmware, and translation patch it. While the localization is a-okay to a majority of people, if you don't like it, you don't have to play it.

Top Bottom