• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fire Emblem Characters

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Those cocky Japanese have to have their "J-only" characters. Well, you know what? I vision a more balanced Melee, with Eliwood instead of Roy. Eliwood is clearly more known since Japan AND us over here know him. But, meh.

Anyway, I would love to see him make Brawl chock full of US characters, but I'm seeing one really.

Kaelion

Smash Rookie
I think an awesome addition to the FE characters would be Volke, the thief/assassin from FE:9. I know there are a lot of faster characters, but I haven't seen an assassin in a fighting game...well....ever.
He'd be very quick, but only moderately (or even sub-moderately) strong. I think a man of the shadows (freakin Snake, he doesn't qualify) is exactly what SSBB needs.

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
honestly i think that Nintendo will not put old characters from FE like Eliwood, hector or Lyn, (although i want her in brawl), 'cuz they have to promotion the new characters for FE Wii, so, the possibles characters maybe are-
Marth ('cuz he is the first lord in FE)
Ike ('cuz hi is the first lord in FE for GameCube - too in 3d-)
Sothe or the new Female Sage Lord - and btw she looks awesome- ('cuz Sothe and the new Sage Lord will be the main characters in FEWii) by comparing Sothe with the first Sage Lord, i'd prefer the Sage Lord!, 'cuz all the fire emblem's main characters has been swordweilder or axeweilder, come on, enought of that, and lets try a little of magic! jejeje...

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
krlos F. said:
honestly i think that Nintendo will not put old characters from FE like Eliwood, hector or Lyn, (although i want her in brawl), 'cuz they have to promotion the new characters for FE Wii
Yeah right, then why did they put Pit in? Why did they put Ness in? Why did they put Zamus in? Pit and Ness are classic characters, but they still get in and NOT because they need to be promoted. And Zamus her game is also out now for quite a while, so that doesn't look like it's promotion either.

Kaelion said:
I think a man of the shadows (freakin Snake, he doesn't qualify) is exactly what SSBB needs.
Then let them put Jaffar in: He looks nicer, he is as cold as you can be, he isn't that talkactive and he has been a bad guy.

Fuzz_Bunz

Smash Rookie
I think a fair way to honor Fire Emblem in the next Smash Bros. is to complete the weapon triangle. The weapon triangle is so fundamental to the Fire Emblem games that it would be a nice tribute. Marth serves the sword well so leave him be. That leaves axe and spear which Hector and Ephraim can accommodate respectively. It would be great that if Sakurai and co. did implement something akin to this, then they would design Hector's moves so as to be "less efficient" against Marth and "more efficient" against Ephraim (sword > axe, axe > spear, spear > sword). Obviously, the same consideration can be given to Ephraim's move list. The biggest fault I have with this idea is the lack of female Lords.

With that said, I have no problem with any new Fire Emblem character that they may add, though I would like Roy (if he's in the next one) to get a modified move list. Oh, and kudos to all who suggested a magic user. It would be great to see either Maric, Sety, Nino, Soren, although they don't really have the influence that the Lords do. Well there's always a chance with the Wii Fire Emblem girl!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
Those cocky Japanese have to have their "J-only" characters. Well, you know what? I vision a more balanced Melee, with Eliwood instead of Roy. Eliwood is clearly more known since Japan AND us over here know him. But, meh.

Anyway, I would love to see him make Brawl chock full of US characters, but I'm seeing one really.
I dont think Eliwood is more known then Roy. The most reason why the Americans and Europians play Fire Emblem is because of Smash. If it wasnt for Roy and Marth, I think FE would sell pretty poorly outside Japan.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
No.... we are all wrong... no matter what anyones says.... its unstopable.....

He is there only to tourture us.....

He steals what is valuable, this time being no exection....

He has no regrets on what he does....

....A hero among the unknowing, but a tyrant to the seasoned....

He made our adventures a living hell, this time he comes back for a third strike......

He is the devil, because age does not change him at all......

......He will kill a deserving character and make his way into the fray...

The one and only.....

MARCUS!!

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/sf64b1.mid
*If you run to a "403 Forbbiden" page, click Go on you browser*

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Diddy Kong,
I don't believe that. Fire Emblem is an AMAZING game. Granted even I doubted it because they reviews were all like 7's and "this game is meh" but when I got FE7, I couldn't stop. And you know what? That got me hooked, thus leading me to Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance.
[Both of which are vastly inferior to FE7, which disappointed me]

The games sold themselves, and I would believe that FE7 sold more because of Melee if it actually WAS ELIWOOD IN SMASH, seeing as how ROY HAS NO APPEARANCE in FE7 [besides the two seconds of 6 year old Roy at the end of the game].

Oh, and Chidosengan, I liked the speech, yet not the character. :(
Someone awesome like Nephenee, Canas, Lucius, Colm, or Marisa. Also, why the hell is Mia more popular than Marisa? She's the biggest loser, and it was hard to decide since Path of Radiance was so chock full of losers.

Son Gohan

Smash Rookie
Chidosengan said:
No.... we are all wrong... no matter what anyones says.... its unstopable.....

He is there only to tourture us.....

He steals what is valuable, this time being no exection....

He has no regrets on what he does....

....A hero among the unknowing, but a tyrant to the seasoned....

He made our adventures a living hell, this time he comes back for a third strike......

He is the devil, because age does not change him at all......

......He will kill a deserving character and make his way into the fray...

The one and only.....

MARCUS!!

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/sf64b1.mid
*If you run to a "403 Forbbiden" page, click Go on you browser*

lol, nice one. I think, considering that Sigurd was allegedly planned for Melee but got replaced by Roy for promotional reasons, he has a large chance of making his way into Brawl. Not to mention his popularity in Japan. I, personally, would like to see the following:

Lords - Sigurd (Celis as a alternate costume). And Roy with a new moveset derived from his swordplay with the Sword of Seals equipted.

Villians - Arvis as he is the most important villian of fe4 and is a sage (or Emperor, but I prefer his sage look). Yurius is the main villian but, in my view, not as important to the storyline as Arvis. And King Zephiel from fe6, Roy's "nemesis". Medius (boss of fe1, Marth's debut game) could appear as a boss of adventure mode, akin to giga bowser.

Others - Ayra (fe4) as she not only is very populer (in Japan) but also, if i'm not mistaken, the very first swordmaster. Plus she was quite overpowered in comparisent to swordmasters of recent times (her strength cap was 27 I think and had a broken skill).

Skywalker

Space Jump
I say to definently keep Marth and Roy. Give Roy a new moveset and maybe people will shut up about the "clone wars."

NukeA6

Smash Master
Donutt101 said:
I say to definently keep Marth and Roy. Give Roy a new moveset and maybe people will shut up about the "clone wars."
Roy is a Marth clone even in Fire Emblem.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Kick Roy and replace him with Sigurd. Roy was just there for advertisement as we all know, and his game didn't even sell as well as the others.

xpun

Smash Rookie
Lol hey im new sorry if anything goes wrong but i think they should add Jaffar or Naki from the FE3 he was really like strange but he owned you could only play as him in the extra maps >.> but other than that him wit h2 swrods owned.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Oh

NukeA6 said:
Roy is a Marth clone even in Fire Emblem.
Wow I had no idea! I've never put my hands on Fire Emblem--except for maybe at Gamestop :) , and Sacred Stones seemed pretty good--so . . . my bad I guess. Still, Roy could use a fresh change of pace so people will stop calling him and Marth bros.!

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
Marshigio said:
Kick Roy and replace him with Sigurd. Roy was just there for advertisement as we all know, and his game didn't even sell as well as the others.
FE sells

FE3- 855,000+
FE4- 752,000+
FE5- 252,000+
FE6- 393,000+
FE7- 290,000+
FE8- 298,000+
FE9- 152,000+

FE6 sold the 3rd best, it sold well PLEASE stop saying it didnt sell aswell as the others

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Sorry about that, but it looks like the franchise has been going downhill since FE6.

Souless Marth

Smash Rookie
I say take out Roy and replace him with Ike. He looks cool and he can take Roy's place easily no one would miss him, but Marth should be kept but his moves need to be changed at least a bit.

GenG

Smash Lord
Manashima said:
FE sells

FE3- 855,000+
FE4- 752,000+
FE5- 252,000+
FE6- 393,000+
FE7- 290,000+
FE8- 298,000+
FE9- 152,000+
Those are from Japan, let's add the US sales too:

FE7 - 409,000
FE8 - 331,000
FE9 - 185,000

I think it's due to lack of competitive tactical games in the US, but FE does better in US than Japan.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
FE9 did terrible compared to all the others,(and I doubt many more copies will be sold since it's been out for at least 7 months) so why would they want to add Ike?

They should add Hector and Lyn from FE7, if they care what the Americans like anyway.

parrothead

Smash Lord
GenG said:
Manashima said:
FE sells

FE3- 855,000+
FE4- 752,000+
FE5- 252,000+
FE6- 393,000+
FE7- 290,000+
FE8- 298,000+
FE9- 152,000+

FE6 sold the 3rd best, it sold well PLEASE stop saying it didnt sell aswell as the others
Those are from Japan, let's add the US sales too:

FE7 - 409,000
FE8 - 331,000
FE9 - 185,000

I think it's due to lack of competitive tactical games in the US, but FE does better in US than Japan.
What about FE1 and FE2?

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
THANK YOU! to the people who got the statistics. PoR was crap. Not in general, still a good game, but compared to the other two. Ike is a chump, his personal story is cliche [they even comment on it's cliche-ness in-game], and the game story is overused. 7 and 8 were way better, with 7 being many steps above the others, thus the 400,000+ compared the the others of 300,000+ and 190,000+.

Come to think of it, with this proof, I don't see reasons other than promotions for having PoR in Brawl.

And for the last time, WHAT GAME DID ROY PROMOTE?????? I'm still trying to figure that one out, since it's not 8 or 9 obviously and 7 was his father Eliwood. When did Roy's last game come out?

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
THANK YOU! to the people who got the statistics. PoR was crap. Not in general, still a good game, but compared to the other two. Ike is a chump, his personal story is cliche [they even comment on it's cliche-ness in-game], and the game story is overused. 7 and 8 were way better, with 7 being many steps above the others, thus the 400,000+ compared the the others of 300,000+ and 190,000+.

Come to think of it, with this proof, I don't see reasons other than promotions for having PoR in Brawl.

And for the last time, WHAT GAME DID ROY PROMOTE?????? I'm still trying to figure that one out, since it's not 8 or 9 obviously and 7 was his father Eliwood. When did Roy's last game come out?
The game Roy was featured in (excluding his cameo from Rekka no Ken) was Fuuin no Tsurugi, and that came out March 2002.

I think that the only reasons Rekka no Ken did so well in sales here was because it was the first English FE release, and with people beings fans of Marth and Roy from Melee and realizing they are from Fire Emblem are going to want to play it. Or...that's what I think at least. I'm sure this has been said before though.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
I'm betting that the only reason FE6 sold so well was because of the huge gap in time between FE5 and FE6. How many years was it again? Of course it sold well.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Lord Knight said:
It was anticipated because it was portable and Thracia 776 was incredibly hard to find (being the last SNES game ever released)>
I thought to get Thracia 776 you bought a blank Super Famicom cartridge and downloaded it onto the cartridge. That is, unless they sold it in the regular Super Famicom cases, too.

GenG

Smash Lord
Characters chances are not linked to sales. Ike is popular and his game is one of the best Fire Emblem (for both players and experts). FE PoR did so bad because it was released in GC, that's all. The game did pretty good in a already dead console.

And the Japan release crashed with the release of a more anticipated game, Berwick Saga.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
GenG said:
Characters chances are not linked to sales. Ike is popular and his game is one of the best Fire Emblem (for both players and experts). FE PoR did so bad because it was released in GC, that's all. The game did pretty good in a already dead console.

And the Japan release crashed with the release of a more anticipated game, Berwick Saga.
I beg to differ. The fact that the GC is "dead" in your words, did not have much effect on PoR. The reason is because a lot of people have GC, just that they didn't feel like taking it out of the closet.

Also, I beg to differ on your argument starting with "Ike is...." and ending with "experts)." PoR sucked. The battle sequences were horrid, the main character is lame as can be, and the storyline is far too cliche. This is the main reason it did so bad, BECAUSE IT SUCKED.

I REALLY REALLY hope FEWii is not as bad. But they've been progressively getting worse.....so.....

Also, Sacred Stones was pretty good, but I don't think it deserves to beat out Blazing Sword, Blazing Sword is definitely the best of the three.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
I beg to differ. The fact that the GC is "dead" in your words, did not have much effect on PoR. The reason is because a lot of people have GC, just that they didn't feel like taking it out of the closet.

Also, I beg to differ on your argument starting with "Ike is...." and ending with "experts)." PoR sucked. The battle sequences were horrid, the main character is lame as can be, and the storyline is far too cliche. This is the main reason it did so bad, BECAUSE IT SUCKED.

I REALLY REALLY hope FEWii is not as bad. But they've been progressively getting worse.....so.....

Also, Sacred Stones was pretty good, but I don't think it deserves to beat out Blazing Sword, Blazing Sword is definitely the best of the three.
I agree with you that the battle scenes could be MUCH better then they had in PoR. Especially the cavaliers where a bit lame... I wish the whole game could be like the few cel shaded movies PoR had.

I however liked the idea of Laguz, they added nice gameplay I think. Yeah the sotry around Ike may be a bit cliche, still it turned out pretty original. Ike is also considered being one of the strongest lords in the whole Fire Emblem universe.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
You know, I've been playing FE4 lately and I've noticed how much better it is than the Fire Emblem games in the States.

I mean, the GBA games are so much worse in every aspect. The characters, the battle sequences(this especially), the style(the style on the SNES was much more dark and mature) and even the story. I hope they'll go back to the style they once had.

Anyway, Sigurd for Brawl and I'm happy.

GenG

Smash Lord
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
PoR sucked.
No it didn't. You missed a lot. Plot, characters, relationships. It's the best FE in 10 ages in these areas. It has a classical feeling missed with Fuuin no Tsurugi and the rest of GBA titles.

GBA ones were too childish, with boring characters and a very common plot that was a rehash of the first titles. Those were intended to play fast as were developed for a handheld machine.

FR0ST

Smash Cadet
Ephraim and Hector are the coolest Fire Emblem lords ever but Ike is cool too.

D

Deleted member

FR0ST said:
Ephraim and Hector are the coolest Fire Emblem lords ever but Ike is cool too.
Stole the words right from my mouth there.

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
FE9 sells are low cause for every GC theres 10 GBAs in japan, those are good sells for a GC game considering the ps2 reigns supreme in japan.

FE5 sells were low cause it was marketed poorly, sold by magazine then rereleased and sold in the beggining of the ps2 era on super famicom, FE5 sold very good in its situation.

FE6 sells were higher cause of the SSBM promotion it got, but lower than FE3/4 cause the games and the following GBA games are very underatted in japan(japan despise them compared to the snes ones)

Also the majority of japan thinks FE9 is the best FE game since FE5, I definately agree with them

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
*Reads all the post.*
*Head Explodes*

Meh. I love FE5 and 7. I don't care about 8 and I been interested in 9. Therefore my FE four are still Sigurd, Lyn, Marth, and Ike, in addition for the 2 Wii FE characters for extras.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
GenG, I would like you to explain all the plots, characters, and relationships I missed.
Here is what I see:

A kind-hearted mercenary [go figure] that turns into a hero who saves the day. Ignoring the fact that this specific scenario is highly over-used, Ike was force fed the position. There was someone holding his hand the entire time. He would have gotten nowhere without the help of people such as Titania and Soren. He would've died if the Beast King didn't come to stop the Black Knight. The only reason he's loved so much is because statistically he's really good. He's like Ephraim, a monster attacker and monster defense.

Also, since the flag on the Fire Emblem Castle is similar but not the same as Daein and the like from PoR, it might be from FEWii, which is the same timeline and story. In that case, it will be FEWii characters [Sothe and Mage Lord] who would be in Brawl first.

And why is it so hard to believe that the sales for PoR are soooo crappy because of Quality and not Quantity like everyone is saying??

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
I explained FE9 sells already, no way would FE7/8 have higher sells if they were released on the GC, dont you know FE6/7/8 are loathed over there?

GenG

Smash Lord
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
GenG, I would like you to explain all the plots, characters, and relationships I missed.

Here is what I see:

A kind-hearted mercenary [go figure] that turns into a hero who saves the day. Ignoring the fact that this specific scenario is highly over-used, Ike was force fed the position. There was someone holding his hand the entire time. He would have gotten nowhere without the help of people such as Titania and Soren. He would've died if the Beast King didn't come to stop the Black Knight. The only reason he's loved so much is because statistically he's really good. He's like Ephraim, a monster attacker and monster defense.
That is a very superficial description of the story. The plot has a lot of twists, political references and criticizes racial and social difference, being Ike the angular stone between laguz and "humans". Starting with this, it isn't a cliched nor an overused scenario, not many games have a interesting set up like that.
Ike starts being a mercenary but then he is needs to take the leadership of the company. Sure this develops a feeling of responsability over the company that I've never seen in another Fire Emblem, yet being uncertain about what he is doing as a leader.
Characters have a lot of development and you can see that in the support dialogues between them, more interesting than other games because these aren't boring. You should take a look on the support dialogues, they unveil a lot about details of the plot and the character themselves. The music is amazing, the graphics while being "unpolished" are a comeback to older styles in the FE saga.

FE PoR is a huge game, not crap.

Also, since the flag on the Fire Emblem Castle is similar but not the same as Daein and the like from PoR, it might be from FEWii, which is the same timeline and story. In that case, it will be FEWii characters [Sothe and Mage Lord] who would be in Brawl first.
That flag doesn't have anything to do with the Daein one, is from the first Fire Emblem (Marth's one). The Daein flag has a more intricated design, not a simple black dragon standing there.

And why is it so hard to believe that the sales for PoR are soooo crappy because of Quality and not Quantity like everyone is saying??
Because there are good games that sell badly, and crap games that sell godly. Baten Kaitos sold about 60k in Japan and in the US, Is a bad game? Of course not. You can't just rely on sales to measure the quality of a game, it's absurd.

Top Bottom