• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Finally!!! A UK RELEASE DATE!!!

xXx_KidIcarus_xXx

Smash Apprentice
I just checked the GAME website yesterday, and the UK is getting Brawl on the 1st of May 08... which sucks, and i seriously hope that this is false, because i can't believe we might get it about 2 MONTHS AFTER THE U.S.!!! it's not fair...please comment if you agree that all Wii's should run on one gaming system, not NTSC or PAL, just one for everybody, and do you think that the 1st May is too long to wait? considering Japan gets it this month and the U.S in March

Regiwi

Smash Journeyman
Bleh, I suppose at least it's not July/June as most guessed. That said Game ARE pretty crappy with release dates, I remember in July they said that Galaxy would be out in July...

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it'll be the first of May - don't believe any release date you see until an official announcement from Nintendo has confirmed so/it says so on the Dojo. GAME is a Game retailer - not Nintendo.

And frankly, if this is real - 1st of May would be incredible! Seeing as the previous 2 Smash Bros. iterations have been released 5-7 months later than their NTSC Counterparts in Europe, 3 months is fine.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Not on DOJO, not official.

We have to wait because Sakurai needs the original (or at least adequate) voice actors for all 80 or so pokemon and assist trophies, and and this needs to be done in English, French, German, Spanish and Italian.

Sucks I know.

xXx_KidIcarus_xXx

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it'll be the first of May - don't believe any release date you see until an official announcement from Nintendo has confirmed so/it says so on the Dojo. GAME is a Game retailer - not Nintendo.

And frankly, if this is real - 1st of May would be incredible! Seeing as the previous 2 Smash Bros. iterations have been released 5-7 months later than their NTSC Counterparts in Europe, 3 months is fine.
yeah i suppose, but that's fine for people living in japan or the U.S to say, you don't have as long a wait as we do, but at least i can go to my friends and play, he has an american Wii

xXx_KidIcarus_xXx

Smash Apprentice
There's your problem. =P

I won't believe anything until we get the official word. I doubt the Dojo will be the one to confirm it to be honest, if they ever show it.
yeah, IF they ever put it up, i just think that we should be able to import games, rather than having to import a Wii aswell...

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
How can you be happy with this date? These days Games should be coming out one month later at most.

Wight

Smash Apprentice
please comment if you agree that all Wii's should run on one gaming system, not NTSC or PAL, just one for everybody
This isnt possible.

They give off different frequencies and all electrical jazz which I'm sure will go to waste if explained.

It just isnt possible, accept it.

Final verdict: thread transfer to the BFG

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I kinda hope that the European release date on the DOJO will say April 1st, so when that day finally arrives, we get an update saying "APRIL FOOLS!".

About the PAL vs NTSC issue:
Because the PAL format has greater resolution than NTSC, it is generally accepted as being of higher quality.[2] NTSC receivers have a tint control to perform colour correction manually. If this isn't adjusted correctly, the colours will be faulty. The PAL standard automatically removes hue errors by utilizing phase alternation of the colour signal (see technical details), so a tint control is unnecessary. Chrominance phase errors in the PAL system are cancelled out using a 1H delay line resulting lower saturation, which is much less noticeable to the eye than NTSC hue errors.

However, the alternation of colour information — Hanover bars — can lead to picture grain on pictures with extreme phase errors even in PAL systems, if decoder circuits are mis-aligned or use the simplified decoders of early designs (to overcome royalty restrictions). Usually such extreme phase shifts do not occur; this effect will usually be observed when the transmission path is poor, typically in built up areas or where the terrain is unfavourable. The effect is more noticeable on UHF signals than VHF as VHF signals tend to be more robust.

A PAL decoder can be seen as a pair of NTSC decoders:
  • PAL can be decoded with two "NTSC" decoders.
  • By switching between the two NTSC decoders every other line it is possible to decode PAL without a phase delay line or two phase-locked loop (PLL) circuits.
  • This works because one decoder receives a colour sub carrier with negated phase in relation to the other decoder. It then negates the phase of that sub carrier when decoding. This leads to smaller phase errors being cancelled out. However a delay line PAL decoder gives superior performance. Some Japanese TVs originally used the dual NTSC method to avoid paying royalty to Telefunken.
  • PAL and NTSC have slightly divergent colour spaces, but the colour decoder differences here are ignored.;
  • PAL supports SMPTE 498.3 while NTSC is compliant with EBU Recommendation 14.
  • The issue of frame rates and colour sub carriers is ignored in this technical explanation. These technical details play no direct role (except as subsystems and physical parameters) to the decoding of the signal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL#PAL_vs._NTSC

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
All they have to do is not make the games region locked and its simple as that. But Nintendo doesnt like its fans so they would prefer not to.

Weltunter

Smash Journeyman
There should be a PAL-UK version with ONLY english (which doesn't have to be translated at all so its only 1-2 weeks after the US release) and an multi-language PAL-version with German, English, Italian, Spanish, French... (the screw-you-version which arrives 6 months later)

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
All people have to do in Europe is learn some ****ing English. We Dutch people don't get a Dutch translation, yet we aren't complaining. It's not that we're that good in English, it's just that we don't give a **** about text or spoken words.

The only thing I can think of that is translation-worthy is the instruction manual.

PK2

Smash Cadet
Impossible. Video Games have to be released on Fridays in the UK at least. I don't know why but that's how it is. It's like DVDs. Any UK Smashers ever noticed how all the DVD ads say "Out Monday"? It's a rule they have to be released on a Monday. Besides, May 1st's a Thursday. Maybe it'll be May 2nd...

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
Yeah, i don't believe it until it's released in a statement. Going by a games site just isn't credible. Amazon.co.uk says February 1st.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Impossible. Video Games have to be released on Fridays in the UK at least. I don't know why but that's how it is. It's like DVDs. Any UK Smashers ever noticed how all the DVD ads say "Out Monday"? It's a rule they have to be released on a Monday. Besides, May 1st's a Thursday. Maybe it'll be May 2nd...
I believe most restocks take place on both Monday and Thursday, so that could be the reason why it would be listed on a Thursday. Other than that, I don't see this one confirmed yet.

SwindleUK

Smash Rookie
you know xbox's are region free so my brother has a few ntsc and pal games, i think thats the way it should be

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
yeah i suppose, but that's fine for people living in japan or the U.S to say, you don't have as long a wait as we do, but at least i can go to my friends and play, he has an american Wii
Erm Check my location please. I'm in England - I wait just as long as the rest of Europe, and speak the same language as the Americans. Sorry for realising there's nothing we can do but wait patiently, and try not to pi$$ Sakurai off too much so that he removes Metaknight from PAL's Brawl.

And GaryCXJk? If you visit most other European countries, they do speak English. Many of the signs and information is presented in English, many of the people you encounter on the streets speak English, and speak it well. I went to Amsterdam and found there was a lot of English speakers, but you can't just exclude every national language. It'd block off their market.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
April 30th will be my last day of work until September when I will start studying. If that is true then...no, I will not get my hopes up!

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Japan gets the game at the beginning of the year. We get it in the middle of the year. **** that.

amost

Smash Apprentice
I just checked the GAME website yesterday, and the UK is getting Brawl on the 1st of May 08... which sucks, i can't believe we get it 3 MONTHS AFTER THE U.S.!!! it's not fair...please comment if you agree that all Wii's should run on one gaming system, not NTSC or PAL, just one for everybody, and do you think that the 1st May is too long to wait? considering Japan gets it this month and teh U.S next month
March 9th -> May 1st = 3 months?

Please tell me you passed elementary school math. It's actually LESS THAN 2 :p... like 1.75 - 1.8

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
When the game does come out, be happy and grateful for the time it took to get all of the things you have in it. What if the game came out with one less GOOD character, would you be happier?

Like, if they were about to add Geno, and you protested the date to change.
Then no Geno.

And Kid Icarus xx, or w/e, it's 2 months after, not 3.

I'm not being mean, but live with it.
The NA got delayed as well...

amost

Smash Apprentice
When the game does come out, be happy and grateful for the time it took to get all of the things you have in it. What if the game came out with one less GOOD character, would you be happier?

Like, if they were about to add Geno, and you protested the date to change.
Then no Geno.

And Kid Icarus xx, or w/e, it's 2 months after, not 3.

I'm not being mean, but live with it.
The NA got delayed as well...
You're absolutely right about being patient, but working in the software development industry, I'd have to say that none of the delays were to add any functionality. What's more likely (and happens all the time) is that they just evaluated their progress at a certain point, and decided that they needed more time to finish everything that was in the initial docs/specs for the game. Same thing with this most recent delay, but on a much smaller scale.

xXx_KidIcarus_xXx

Smash Apprentice
March 9th -> May 1st = 3 months?

Please tell me you passed elementary school math. It's actually LESS THAN 2 :p... like 1.75 - 1.8
XD yeah sorry, i only found out that the U.s release date was delayed after i posted this, i'll change it, and fyi, i have some of the best grades in my school at maths and i'm predicted an A* for my GCSE, i just didn't realise the date had been delayed, sorry

amost

Smash Apprentice
XD yeah sorry, i only found out that the U.s release date was delayed after i posted this, i'll change it, and fyi, i have some of the best grades in my school at maths and i'm predicted an A* for my GCSE, i just didn't realise the date had been delayed, sorry
Hehehe I see... of all days to post that message eh? :p

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
No Geno? Yes please I would prefer him out just so his fans dont become even more arrogant.

Top Bottom