• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final third party character chances (top 20)

piffman2

Smash Apprentice
I still say Geno's chances aren't as good as everyone thinks. He could be in but I doubt it

volbound1700

Smash Master
My top 20 with reasons for rank - also note I think there could be more then 3 3rd party characters

1. Tails - SEGA is know to carry another Hedgehog buddy with him into cameo appearances, Sakurai loves old school Sonic, and IGN wrote article believeing he makes it. See tails support thread for links on topic

2. Bomberman - close relationship between companies is the main reason he falls in here.

3. Pacman - Classic video game character, company once again has close relationship with nintendo

4. Megaman - Popular character, heavy involvement with Nintendo in past

5. Geno - Popular, in Nintendo series with Mario, problems: Company not very close with Nintendo, another Mario character

6. Simon Belmont - Konami character, same as snake. Has decent shot. Problem: not as popular as other third party.

7. Mallow - same as Geno except not as popular

8. Zero - same as Megaman

9. Cloud - never played his game so not totally sure

10. Mortal Kombat Character - as laugahble as it sounds, Midway has a close relationship with Nintendo and MK really supported the Gamecube and now the Wii by putting extra features only on the Nintendo consoles that appeal to MK fans

Not really sure who makes it after this, it will be one of the listed characters above, don't really see many other people. Maybe a different Sonic character has a shot or MGS character.

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
Namco, Capcom and Hudson Soft are all great classic developers. Whether he is a man of Pac, Bomb or Mega I shall take his side as my brother whenceforth we shall send the pokemon back to hell.

FalcoChamp

Smash Apprentice
sorry man but a lot of those guys don't have a chance. Remember every character has to be unique. It would get way to repetitive.

JPW

Smash Ace
MC has no chance. Next generation he will have a better chance.

I believe Sakurai finalised the roster back in March this year. With all characters and such.

I believe that they were working on stages, online, modes, etc., recently(before the delay), and now they're just fixing up on bugs and online stuff now, I believe.

So anyone coming round now would really miss out in my view. Anyone new for that matter. I t had to happen back in March,(Just look at Sonic and Ike. IKE has his FE9 look, and Sonic's look seems to come from his Adventure games.) so Bungie wont count... unless Nintendo was working with them behind Microsoft's back. Nintendo are good at keeping secrets.

But I agree I reckon Megaman or Geno have the best chance, if he decides to go one more.

10. Mortal Kombat Character - as laugahble as it sounds, Midway has a close relationship with Nintendo and MK really supported the Gamecube and now the Wii by putting extra features only on the Nintendo consoles that appeal to MK fans
Hmmm, I remember that.... ummm when did Deception GCN come to Australia. Oh yeah I heard it flopped in the US, so we never got a copy.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
My top 20 with reasons for rank - also note I think there could be more then 3 3rd party characters

1. Tails - SEGA is know to carry another Hedgehog buddy with him into cameo appearances, Sakurai loves old school Sonic, and IGN wrote article believeing he makes it. See tails support thread for links on topic

2. Bomberman - close relationship between companies is the main reason he falls in here.

3. Pacman - Classic video game character, company once again has close relationship with nintendo

4. Megaman - Popular character, heavy involvement with Nintendo in past

5. Geno - Popular, in Nintendo series with Mario, problems: Company not very close with Nintendo, another Mario character

6. Simon Belmont - Konami character, same as snake. Has decent shot. Problem: not as popular as other third party.

7. Mallow - same as Geno except not as popular

8. Zero - same as Megaman

9. Cloud - never played his game so not totally sure

Not really sure who makes it after this, it will be one of the listed characters above, don't really see many other people. Maybe a different Sonic character has a shot or MGS character.

A decent list. Cloud however has absolutely no chance in hell. I love final fantasy and ff7 is probably my favorite game of all time but he has no **** business doing in a smash game. Neither do a lot of characters that people keep mentioning. Nintendo wants this game to be unique. By adding these big names (master chief, Cloud) the game would lose its originality. The purpose of smash bros is to have IMPORTANT characters from Nintendo series battle it out. The addition of Sonic is extremely important because if you know anything about video games, Mario and Sonic were the top of the video game franchises. People would pay and enjoy playing with these characters. Solid Snake IMO, is here to draw in older gamers. Lastly, I think it would make the most sense to add Tails and MegaMan as the final two 3rd party characters simply because, Tails would be the Luigi counterpart and MegaMan is extremely popular and would be completely unique.

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
for the "Bomberman has no moveset theory" mentioned in first post....

STATS:
Speed- ***
Size- ***
Weight- **
Jump- **
Reach- **
Strength- ****

A- Left-hand jab
AA- Right punch, Left punch
AAA- Strong Uppercut (w/ slight explosion)
Dash A- Head-dive- Bomberman rapidly dives, headfirst, straight ahead of him and headbutts his opponent.
A^- Upward fiery punch
AV- Heavy Stomp (slight explosion)
A<>- Strong kick

Smash A- Strong Hook
SmashV A- Drop Kick
Smash<> A- Quick Sex Kick
Smash^ A- Hard Kick (upwards w/ slight explosion)

Nair- Hard Slap
Fair- Knee (Bomberman knees opponent in the face)
Bair- Double arm push
Uair- Flipkick
Dair- downward drop-kick

B- Drop Bomb- Hold B 2 secs to hold, continuous holding pumps bomb. If B is pressed when maxium bombs are placed, the bombs would detonate simultaneously.
B<>-Bomb Kick/ Soccer Bomb -if a laid bomb is in front of him, Bomberman kicks it forward and it rolls until it hit something. If Bomberman is not in front of a bomb, Bomberman quickly lays a bomb any kicks it while flipping over (like a famous soccer move). It flies through the air quickly and explodes on contact.
B\/- Suicide Bomb- Bomberman slams a bomb beneath his feet, quickly flinging him upward and causing slight damage to him. Causes major damage to neighboring enemies
B^- Bomber Copter- Bomberman bursts upward with propeller spinning above him. He is able to fly around freely for around 10 secs.

Grab- Standard two hand grab
Grab Attack- general headbutt
^ Throw- Throws opponent into air and quickly throws a bomb at them
> Throw- Straps bomb to and throws opponent forward
< Throw- Throws opponent behind Bomberman (that's it)
V Throw- Slams opponent on ground on which, they explode on impact.

Final Smash-
Bomberman pumps a legendary Red Bomb to maximum size (around 2x the height of Bowser). Bomberman speed is greatly decreased and cannot jump when carrying the bomb. He is free to throw the bomb wherever he pleases, the bombs explosion radius affects everyone on the stage. Any player hit with the Bomb is instantly knocked off stage or is immobilized and dizzy (with stars flying around their head as in Bomberman 64).
Then, Bomberman jumps on the back of Pommy and rides around the stage with increased speed and jumping ability. He can drop as much as 10 bombs at one time and quickly as desired. Pommy is also able to attack opponents (i.e-biting). Duration: 15 secs.

Item: Virus! (Skull from Bomberman 64)
-Fire- user spontaneously combusts and is on fire for around 10 secs. User can touch other players which temporarily lits them afire (5 secs). Does damage overtime to user.
-Big- user becomes larger, heavier, and stronger, but slower and much lower jump.
-Small- user becomes smaller, much higher jumps, and faster, but weaker and more easily knocked away.
-Jammed- user cannot stop moving but its able to change direction and jump. Speed increases over time.
-Reverse- all controller moves are reversed. Up is crouch, Down is jump, B is A, etc.
-Ghost- user cannot receive or use physical attacks. User can now hijack an opponent and semi-control them.
-Stun- User can barely move, but can take slightly more damage.

Entrance- Rides in on his pet, Pommy. Pommy runs away scared right before the battle starts.

Kirby- Standard pink Kirby but with Bomberman eyes ( | | ) and antennae.

Taunt: Celebrates as in Bomberman 64

Costumes-
White Bomber
Black Bomber
Red Bomber
Blue Bomber
Gold Bomber

Winning Poses-
1.Does backflip and smiles as in Bomberman Hero.
2.Jumps and punches air above him while smiling.

Notes-
-Only 4 bombs can be placed on the field at once.
-Other Bombermen can kick other Bombermen's bombs.
-Any attacks upon a bomb would explode immediately.
-If Bomberman lands on one of his bombs he will do a low bounce. Pumped bombs give him higher bounces.
-All Virus effects (except Fire) has a chance to be passed on to an opponent. Opponents with higher health percentage have a higher chance of receiving the Virus. Its duration is restarted everytime it is passed on.

....can ya digg it?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm going to have to disagree with that Bomberman moveset...

Kickbomb should be something added to drop bomb

He should also have charge bomb (64)

D

Deleted member

sorry man but a lot of those guys don't have a chance. Remember every character has to be unique. It would get way to repetitive.
Megaman is, like, already mainly in kinda. The cryptic message a while a go pretty much gave it away. As for Geno...

He is like a God. He better be in the freakin' top 2!

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Cloud could be in Brawl but I mean his appearance in KH Chain Of Memories is far from important.
Common man do you honestly think they would add Cloud for all the ff7 fanboys (me included.) There is just no way in hell.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Common man do you honestly think they would add Cloud for all the ff7 fanboys (me included.) There is just no way in hell.
They said in an interview they would rather NOT include any character from FF because the series is too vast with too many differing characters

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I guess that kills square-enix's chances of being in Brawl.
No they said they might do other series...

actually what they suggested of FRANCHISES was romance saga or whatever it's called...they just didn't want FF

the person who got this information said though it wouldn't hurt Geno's chances though...If fact, gave evidence (Though nothing to substancial that Geno is 100% assured) that Geno could very well have been planned from the beggining

vesperview

Smash Hero
No they said they might do other series...

actually what they suggested of FRANCHISES was romance saga or whatever it's called...they just didn't want FF

the person who got this information said though it wouldn't hurt Geno's chances though...If fact, gave evidence (Though nothing to substancial that Geno is 100% assured) that Geno could very well have been planned from the beggining
I think Geno is a shoe in... yet I don't find him to be like THE character of Square Enix you know, I find him more of Mario character, but Sora would suck and there's really no one left.

Simon_Belmont

Smash Apprentice
Some of those choices were ridiculous (Sora/ Mastercheif). Common people. Common sense.
Yes, exactly.

MC has never been on a Nintendo console. Period. No chance. End of story. Your ignorance is only matched by your stupidity.
Again, exactly.

This is the most terrible list I've seen in my whole life. First of all, one of the characters on your list is invalid, meaning that he has NOT appeared on a Nintendo platform. Master Chief has not appeared on a Nintendo platform, so he gets the cut. And finally, Simon should be RIGHT BEHIND Mega Man, seeing as how he is a gaming icon, a classic and has most of his games appear on a Nintendo platform, and also that he debuted on a Nintendo platform. His chances are much higher than those other characters above him. I just don't get how you made this list.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
I agree completely with your top 20 list. (well the top 5 at least)

Your top 5 are pretty reasonable, though I don't like Pacman for Brawl >=0.

6. Sora and 7. Cloud are probably not likely but it would be very cool and possible to have at least 1 FF representative.

We need a Castlevania rep. Simon Belmont would be awesome.

Tetris Block: eh Assist Trophy would be great but nothing more. A stage would be cool too.

Edit: mainly I want all of these in Brawl: Megaman, Geno, Bomberman, FF rep, and Castlevania rep. I know its just about no chance but with the Smash Bros Perfection Program, anything can happen. If you you hate me for wanting 5, visit the I just want to make you... smile!! -- A POSITIVE Brawl Thread

The Legend Of Zelda

Smash Cadet
For Final Fantasy, you need a generic character that kind of reps the whole series rather than one installment, especially if that particular installment didn't appear on a Nintendo console. So, I'd think something like Black Mage, Moogle, or Chocobo would be more likely. Despite Cloud's position as perhaps THE standout hero of the series, Moogle would probably be my personal choice for a Final Fantasy rep, for those reasons previously stated.

Sora you can count out because the Kingdom Hearts franchise stands directly at odds with the Smash Bros. ethos of characters originating from video games. Sure, Sora is a video game creation, but his world is not. And inevitably, these characters bring elements from their respective worlds to the game. You can't hold that Sora without those Disney elements is really Sora at all.

I think Dragon Quest and Soul Calibur deserve representation pretty high on this list. For Soul Calibur, I think the clear choice would be Nightmare, but it's a little harder with Dragon Quest for reasons similar to Final Fantasy. You could go for a Rocket Slime to parallel the Moogle choice, but really I don't think they'd lend themselves nearly as well to a moveset (though we've all been surprised before), and either your main hero from the first few games, Erdrick, or his nemesis, the Dragonlord, seem like the best choices.

Well, that's my two cents. I'd love to hear what you think.

TLOZ

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For Final Fantasy, you need a generic character that kind of reps the whole series rather than one installment, especially if that particular installment didn't appear on a Nintendo console. So, I'd think something like Black Mage, Moogle, or Chocobo would be more likely. Despite Cloud's position as perhaps THE standout hero of the series, Moogle would probably be my personal choice for a Final Fantasy rep, for those reasons previously stated.

Sora you can count out because the Kingdom Hearts franchise stands directly at odds with the Smash Bros. ethos of characters originating from video games. Sure, Sora is a video game creation, but his world is not. And inevitably, these characters bring elements from their respective worlds to the game. You can't hold that Sora without those Disney elements is really Sora at all.

I think Dragon Quest and Soul Calibur deserve representation pretty high on this list. For Soul Calibur, I think the clear choice would be Nightmare, but it's a little harder with Dragon Quest for reasons similar to Final Fantasy. You could go for a Rocket Slime to parallel the Moogle choice, but really I don't think they'd lend themselves nearly as well to a moveset (though we've all been surprised before), and either your main hero from the first few games, Erdrick, or his nemesis, the Dragonlord, seem like the best choices.

Well, that's my two cents. I'd love to hear what you think.

TLOZ
...and that's exactly the reason why Square doesn't want to add a FF character

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I know that this list is an opinion, but I mean, honestly, how can you think that MC and Arbiter have more of a chance than tails or knuckles?

chazman1991

Smash Rookie
In order from most likley to least.

1. Megaman
He's been long rumored to be the final third party slot. He's one of the most popular characters in video game history, and has had countless games on Nintendo systems.

2. Geno
Even though he's third party, he's basically a Nintendo character. If put in the game, he'd probably even have the Mushroom symbol. He's very demanded, and seems to be on the bubble.

3. Bomberman
A character brought up constantly, many times suggested as an alternative to Megaman. He'd be very original, but doesnt have much a moveset and recently some of his games have been poor. That didn't stop Sonic though.

4. Rayman
Ubisoft seems to be leaning twords Nintendo now more than ever, and although with his first game being a side-scrolling, popular, PS1 launch title it looked like he was Sony's alternative to Mario, he quickly became primarily Nintendo. He is one of the most fun, popular characters in the industry, and has as much chance as anybody.

5. Pacman
One of the original video game icons. Namco and Nintendo tend to be on good terms, although some think he just wouldn't fit right in Brawl.

6. Sora
Another highly requested fan favorit. His games have been incredible, but he has only two Nintendo games on his resume, and Geno would likley be ahead of him should Square get a representative.

7. Cloud
More popular overall than both Geno and Sora, but would be the worst fit of the three of them in Brawl. Popular, but has two characters of the Square-Enix organization ahead of him.

8. Viewtiful Joe
Normally, he'd seem like a shoe-in. A side scrolling, mega popular superhero, who was built as a fighting character and his first game came out of nowhere to win GOTY on the Nintendo Gamecube. The problem? He just isnt of much importance to Capcom anymore after his creator's division went under. Plus, he has Megaman ahead of him.

9. Banjo-Kazooie
This team once seemed as Nintendo as Mario or Donkey Kong, but when the Rare company was purchased by Microsoft, the future of Banjo-Kazooie was on the 360. Nintendo would likley have to shell out more cash for them than most, and although they really seem like part of the Nintendo family, it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

10. Crash Bandicoot
Sony's mascot has dwindled as of late. He doesnt even have an upcoming game for the PS3. He does have one for the Wii, with an all new moveset, but he isn't high profile enough for Brawl anymore.

11. Spyro
His games just arent what they used to be. Five years ago he would have had as much chance as Sonic, but just not anymore.

12. Rabbid
One of the more requested thrid party characters, there is no way he'd get in over Rayman. If Rayman was added, it is very possible that he could appear as an assist trophy, or in the background of a stage. Other than that, it's not gonna happen.

13. Simon Belmont
He is only this high because of sheer popularity. He really doesnt have alot of chance. It wouldnt be a TOTAL shocker, but I just dont see it happening.

14. Mallow
Another third party chracter that is basically Nintendo. That would seem like it would put him in the top five on this list. Why not? He is owned by Square, which would make him have to somehow leapfrog Geno, Sora, and Cloud to become their rep.

15. Laura Croft
While a somewhat suggested character, she just wouldnt have a moveset. In the Tomb Raider games, all she has are guns. And their are no non-laser guns in Brawl. She'd be a generic punch and kick character.

16. Joanna Dark
With Banjo-Kazooie ahead of her in a Rare rep situation, plus the same reasoning as Laura, he chances just arent that high.

17. Tetris Block
Seems like it should be higher on the list? Well, yeah. Alot of the characters it is ranked under have basically no chance. But it cant get in. Why? It's not a character, and I doubt that they'd add it as a third party item.

18. Conker
Another once Nintendo character now chilling out on the 360. Should rare get a rep, Banjo-Kazooie is getting the call.

19. Master Chief
The only reason he even made this list is because Bungie is now third party. Master Chief just starred in one of the greatest games of all time. And while a highly demanded character, there is no way Microsoft would allow this to happen without recieving a pretty penny, unless they wanted to hype Halo Wars or something. Also, he would be a generic punch/kick character because guns arent allowed in Brawl. But hey, it would be cool. Warthog final smash FTW!

20. The Arbiter
I have only seen this suggestion a couple times, but it isnt going to happen. A Microsoft rep is master chief. Another generic punch/kick character because no guns in Brawl. Yeah, he could go invisible, but that is already an item. He just isn't gonna make it.
1) possible
2) maybe
3) yes maybe
4) maybe... not sure
5) pacman... just WTF
6) sora!?! SORA!?!?! are u F***ING ********
7) see number 6
8) would be cool but not sure if it wud happen.
9) just no
10) just no
11) u need a slap
12) meh
13)dont see it happening
14) just no....
15) hahahahahaha
16) see 16
17) no
18) funny....
19) ARE U F***ING ********!!!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
20) SEE ABOVE ADD MORE !s :p

PurpleStuff

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it's been said before, but even though Microsoft doesn't own Bungie, Microsoft still owns the character of Master Chief and the Halo franchise. Never going to happen. And I even like MC, I'm no Halo hater.

Yeah, a lot of the characters on this list have absolutely no chance. It's cool that everyone's entitled to their hopes and dreams and opinions, but if you're going to make a thread claiming to know that "final third party" characters and all their chances, do a little homework.

If I had a vote though, the only character I really care about is Megaman. Geno is the only other character on that list I've every played, and he'd be cool, too.

neft

Smash Rookie
Absolutely terrible list.

Also, LOL at you being a Halo fanboy and not even realizing that MC has plenty of moves without using realistic guns.

Energy Sword, Spartan Laser, Plasma Grenade, Gravity Hammer, all the tools, Spike Grenades, need I go on?

MC would be a pretty good character for Brawl, but it's too bad he has 0% chance.

Really, there should be no more than 10 characters considered for the final slot, because after that (as can be seen in this list) it gets ridiculous.

1. Megaman
2. Pac Man
3. Ryu
4. Rayman
5. Bomberman
6. Bonk
7. Simon Belmont
8. Tails
9. Viewtiful Joe
10. Grey Fox

Geno wouldn't count as a 3rd Party addition.

If he were to, he would be number 2.

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
after number 5 the list just kind of falls apart, imo. It goes from rational to ridiculous. there's way too many people on there that shouldn't even be considered at all.

Lant

Smash Journeyman
No offense, but that list is ridiculous.

Cloud will not be in Brawl.

Simon_Belmont

Smash Apprentice
after number 5 the list just kind of falls apart, imo. It goes from rational to ridiculous. there's way too many people on there that shouldn't even be considered at all.
The only rational one after 5 is Simon Belmont. The rest is just bs.

Also, people, MC has 0% chance because he has not appeared on a Nintendo platform. That is one of the rules. If the Halo DS title was real, he would have like, 0.1% chance.

MegatronPwnsYou

Smash Lord
Why isn't James Bond on this list? He has better chance then most of these... MC and Arbiter WTF?
At least he has Nintendo games and he was on Sakurai's poll.

Top Bottom