• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Smashes aren't so Final: Sakurai goes into detail about the Final Smash

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Isn't it cool? Monday was all about "Real men use items" and now, Sakurai confirms that you can deactivate the Smash Ball. Oh, the mindgames!
Oh the mindgames indeed....

Anyway, the whole idea of a "Pity Final Smash" just opened up a whole new world of Trash Talk. "Dude, you got a PITY Final Smash ... even Sakurai knows you need help!!!"
This made me laugh, I'm going to use it.

As for the update. Meh. Curses @ E4All.

The music was pretty cool though...

DreamFiend633

Smash Apprentice
Do you think you can knock the smash ball out of someone with a pity final smash?

EDIT: Can you use a smash ball more than once per match?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Do you think you can knock the smash ball out of someone with a pity final smash?

EDIT: Can you use a smash ball more than once per match?
no you can only use the final smash once, once it wears off it's gone intill you get another smash ball.

also at first I was wowed at how bad this update was but once I read it , it was not so bad. This is an example of why you don't judge a book by it's cover.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Edit: It's like any other item. You get it, and you use it. But they appear at any time just like the others, so you can get a lot of them in one match theoretically.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
So it looks like Smash Balls will be out of competitive play, assuming that you can't turn off the pity smash. It's possible for someone to 3 stock someone, and then the person who is losing to make a huge comeback, and with the pity FS it can really make a difference, besides some FSs are broken... Bowser.

Ytoabn08

Smash Cadet
So it looks like Smash Balls will be out of competitive play, assuming that you can't turn off the pity smash. It's possible for someone to 3 stock someone, and then the person who is losing to make a huge comeback, and with the pity FS it can really make a difference, besides some FSs are broken... Bowser.
But if they are that far behind, will one death really help?

And is Bowser's Final Smash Broken? Maybe we just don't know the trick to dodging it yet.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
PS: When I first saw the title of this update, I was actually about to really get angry. "Okay, now he's REALLY pulling stuff out of his ***."
I still think that.

I didn't go to E4All, but sites like Ign already confirmed these things, not just Smashboards.

Drake3

Smash Ace
I'm clearly in the minority but I'm still waiting for another amazing update.

Maybe we should wait a bit before we stamp something as "OK for competitive play" or not until we actually see how things work. To my knowledge you only get a free FS if you really, really suck. And if you suck that badly, chances are the user will screw it up easily somehow.

And I'm probably one of the few who believes that ZSS will be available from the selection screen somehow. Just because you can't switch back and forth shouldn't mean a character should be completely unplayable. Even on the casual scene there are alot of people who turn items off for fun sometimes. They shouldn't be denied ZSS if she's their favourite character.

trio1000

Smash Apprentice
it would be cool if you can turn capsules and crates off and on as well

and i really hope that its not any random as hit that knockes the smash ball away like kirbys copy ability in melee

lilparadise

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to play with final smashes on regardles of what any one says. Same with items. I'm the (Self proclamed master of the non-wavedash technique.) I'm going to abuse the crap out of this game to find new techniques just so I can learn how to get around them and play the game the way it was MENT to be played.

The update that said "Real men use items" is a dare from the creators. They know about peoples fears of items makeing good characters beter and bad characters worse. I say get over it. If you main a bad character, practice!

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
If one Final Smash can turn the tide from a 5-2 stock battle to a 0-2 stock battle, the person who orignally was ahead by three stock wasn't really that good in the first place. >_>

I'm going to play with final smashes on regardles of what any one says. Same with items. I'm the (Self proclamed master of the non-wavedash technique.) I'm going to abuse the crap out of this game to find new techniques just so I can learn how to get around them and play the game the way it was MENT to be played.

The update that said "Real men use items" is a dare from the creators. They know about peoples fears of items makeing good characters beter and bad characters worse. I say get over it. If you main a bad character, practice!

Why do people take that stupid real men quote seriously? For all we know, the guy didn't get a chance to finish the quote like: "But Smash gods don't use items." >_>

Phred

Smash Journeyman
I like that Smash Balls are on the item switch. I could have insane battles with Unlimited Smash Ball Works!
I wonder if you can break open a Smash Ball with a Final Smash?

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
You know an update is bad when even being a double update can't save it.

There's absolutely nothing new about Final Smashes. Sakurai already stated in a previous update that they had to be beaten to be picked up, and that a standard special move unleashed it.

We already knew it could be knocked out of a player holding it and about pity final smashes from E for All.

And anyone with half of a brain knew that it was going to be an item, and therefore, affected by the item switch.

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
At first I said, "man that's a lame update" then i read some more and it was like "meh, I guess" then i heard the music and it was pretty cool. Ho hum update, but not sucky thanks to the music.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Hmm, not too bad of an update as it details specifics of the Smash Balls with visuals. Some people just don't get it without that last piece of information. For those who don't get it either way... Well, they'll just have to wait till hands-on to drive it in.

X music is nifty, I definitely like it. Kinda reminds me how we had the Mach Rider and Balloon Fighter easter egg songs as alternate music for some stages. Sakurai's just gone and taken it to an extreme level.

@The Hypnotist

I realize everyone has the right to speak in this forum, and I'm going to limit the rant to one post,, but I've seen several people make a valid point. *takes a minute to debate on whether or not to mention them before nodding* This is a game for everyone and is customized so that anyone can turn off what they don't like, so if you want to take out all the stuff that makes it what it is... fine, he's made it for that purpose. What really irks me right now is your whole negative attitude about everything and continual harping. I don't think I've even seen ONE post from you that's positive in some way. Here's a suggestion, take your negativity, your whole extreme views of competition and save it for those that care in the other forum section that it's meant for. If you're going to comment, just post your opinions about the item in question and possibly say whether it's something you'd use or not and leave it at that without being so down about it. We KNOW you're a competitive player, no need to drive it down everyone else's throat everytime you post.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
You're an idiot. Final Smashes aren't that broken. And besides, if you are losing that much stock to your opponent to get a PFS, I really don't think it will save your cause. Final Smashes still require you to not suck at the game to use correctly.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
a. im still hoping for a better post (reveal a character plz)

b. i dont think FS's are broken, and they should be allowed in tourney play. if anything, FSs help balance characters. Bowser is around mid tier, but his FS makes him better. Peach is high/top, but her FS makes her worse (its rly not THAT good everyone).

i really hope we can turn off pity final smashes. tho itl prob only happen 4-1 stock times, it can still turn around a match if done right. final smashes on low frequency (im assuming u can change frequency), with them only appearing randomly, like not in crates/partyballs/barrels, and no pity smashes would be perfect.

CommanderGrit

Smash Apprentice
so now that final smashes can be turned off, i guess ZSS is banned from tourneys! As of now the only known way to play as her is via final smash. how sad. :(

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
Ok, stop. It's Shiny time!
Everyone quit whining. It's more annoying than the updates you're whining about in the first place. YES a new character would be nice, and YES it's been a while since we got a stellar update, but these have all been passable this week and last. Just shut up, or GTFO my internet.

As for the update itself, I rather liked it. While we knew most of it from e 4 all, high-quality images as well as clarification from Sakurai are FAR preferable to grainy, blurry, low-quality video, as well as some unofficial discussion and speculation. If we all thought Meta Knight's final smash was to hit himself in the face because (hypothetically) noone could land his FS, and then Sakurai updated with Galaxia Darkness as per usual, how happy would we be? The same thing could happen. One of our (mis)conceptions from the demo could be clarified with a quick word from Sakurai. Anyway, I'm REALLY done ranting now. Update was fine, etc etc, some new info I didn't know, now the music.

I've got mixed feelings about the music myself. I love it, but I can't see "fighting" to it. Just dancing. Hmm. I'll undoubtably be proven wrong when I fight to it myself though...

~Shiny Ivysaur, Shining Out

(See what I did there?)

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
so now that final smashes can be turned off, i guess ZSS is banned from tourneys! As of now the only known way to play as her is via final smash. how sad. :(
That's the primary reason I think we should have a WAIT AND SEE attitude about the potential brokenness of items. We left Peach in after we discovered how abusable wallbombing is (and the fact that her item spawns are in my mind even more broken then the entire concept of a randomly spawning item - sans exploding containers - but that's a different argument) we should wait to see what happens when Brawl is finally released.

CommanderGrit

Smash Apprentice
That's the primary reason I think we should have a WAIT AND SEE attitude about the potential brokenness of items. We left Peach in after we discovered how abusable wallbombing is (and the fact that her item spawns are in my mind even more broken then the entire concept of a randomly spawning item - sans exploding containers - but that's a different argument) we should wait to see what happens when Brawl is finally released.
no i mean, should final smashes be banned, ZSS would be a casualty as the only way to play her would be to obtain a final smash, which wont appear. I'm not saying that she would be banned because of any brokeness or abusability. But unless there is a sort of "start as sheik" button for ZSS, there would be no way to play as her in a Smash ball banned tourney.

I agree we must wait and see as there is NOTHING ELSE WE CAN DO! but there is nothing wrong with speculation!

ChozoChampion

Smash Apprentice
i dont feel that anyone who plays competetive will see the pity smash very often anyway so having them on won't be a problem....besides all moves in the game have a weakness just a matter of time before we find out what that is.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Some people exclaim that Bowser's FS is far better than some of the others, such as Pikachu's or DK's. Please keep in mind, we don't even have the game yet! Who knows what potential might lie in their FS's or what secrets Sakurai might be keeping from us concerning the individual character's FS, etc.

Avoid jumping to conclusions, guys! ;-)

Meta Kirby

Smash Cadet
"If you have a better alternative, please- share." "Cuttlefish... Ay? Let us, dear friends, not forget our dear friends, the cuttlefish. Flipagorious little sausages. Pen them up together and they will devour each other without a single thought. Human nature... or... or fish nature. So, yes, we could could hole up here well provisioned and well armed and half of us would be dead within the month! Which seems quite grim to me any way you slice it."- Pirates of the Carribbean: At World's End

I am Meta Kirby and I approve my message and that other one we just got. I approve it!!! Stop whining! Even though, for you people, it would be easier to eat your own head. I also want another character (Mega Man and Monkey D. Luffy, the latter unlikely) but, as I've said before, if you got your way, this game would never come out!!!!

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Phew... thought you couldn't turn off the "if you suck, you get a Smash Ball" thing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In Melee, you could play as Sheik at the very start of the match by holding the A button after you chose Zelda. I'm pretty sure that there will be a way to begin a match with Zero Suit Samus.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
I'd quite like that, but I'm doubting it. The word from E for All was negative on that feature (or at least they couldn't figure out any equivalent) so we're left with the dim hope that they add it in before release.

nviv

Smash Cadet
to be honest even though this update wasn't exactly confirmation of sonic I think just knowing for sure now that final smashes can be turned off was worth the update. That's one less question we have to see floating around now.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Yeah, there's more info about Final Smashes, like the Pity Final Smash, but I still feel... uneasy about this update. Well, whatever.

Top Bottom