• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Final Roster pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Not sure why nobody made a thread? I mean, I know everyone knows by now but I thought it would be good to have a thread with the pic as first post ?

So here it is

Wolf, Snake, Ice Climbers, Lucas are cut.

edit: someone suggested this is fake on reddit, well IT IS NOT.

Last edited:

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
So Sakurai WAS hyping up a stage hazard that's been done in exactly the same way in another fighting game. I should have known.

Trogdorbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trogdorbad
Yeah, it's the final roster. Gema unlocked R.O.B. and got the All Fighters Unlocked message.

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
I never planned to play Ridley or anything, but I still feel like I've been cheated and Trolled. Big time. I never should have fallen for the hype.

Eh, well. I still got my mains, I guess.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Yup, saw this play out in real time. It's incredible...

Honestly, I'm more surprised than anything. None of my Final Five predictions came true because there was no Final Five! Huh. Well, I can't exactly complain. We've gotten my biggest requests: Greninja, Palutena, Robin, and Shulk, so I"m more than happy with the final roster. At least this roller coaster of speculation can finally end...

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I am still sad that the "clone corner" is there.
It bugs the heck out of me knowing that the clones aren't placed by their series and I was hoping that the layout would've been tweaked for release.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm content. There's lots of content I'm going to enjoy unlocking next month.

49 characters ain't bad at all. I did want at least one more for the sake of numbers, but I can live without.

Was a good few years. Hopefully you who are disappointed will calm down later on, because I'm currently a bit baffled by some of the reactions I've seen here.

Now to go through the painful final wait...

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
this is real. somewhat disappointed since i wanted mewtwo in but i'll live. while i'd definitely rather have him in over some other characters (e.g. dark pit, lucina, captain falcon), the roster, for what it is, isn't that bad! sakurai has his reasons for every inclusion, i suppose, though i do have my fair share of questions (like why does the CSS look so awkward? this isn't melee; i feel like a couple more characters would have looked better from an aesthetic standpoint). and i get to play as duck hunt dog and the koopalings which is more than enough for me :-)

Last edited:

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
I'm sad that Luca and Wolf and Ice Climbers got cut. I'm sad the final five aren't real. But I'm actually still really stoked for this roster. My planned mains are all there, and there's some new ones that I want to try out so badly. :)

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
it sucks that golden sun seems to have 0 of anything in the game but over all i like the roster

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
Well, there's Megaman and Villager, so it's still good.
I just feel like there's somehow a lot of missed opportunities with this title, and the game itself since to severely lack in content. I hope the WiiU versions at least steps up a little, but I have that ominous idea that developing a dual version wasn't the best idea they had.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
No wolf, no king k rool, no sukapon and no mewtwo? No chorus men????? Plus the game play physics and mechanics are well............... Oh well considering Sakurai's Smash Bros philosophy it was bound to be disappointing.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
I honestly don't care if Ridley made it in Smash 4 or not but the way Sakurai was teasing Ridley during April's Direct just to toy with us was just mean.

Overall, I think the roster is alright. The cuts made in the roster are a tad annoying though.

Also, I'm still salty over Ganondorf being a C. Falcon clone and the fact that Alph is a different character from Olimar but he didnt receive the "Lucina-Dark Pit Treatment" in having his own slot. Sorta contradicts Sakurai's logic.

Last edited:

PeanutProphet

Smash Cadet
I have to say this, even if it means nothing. Smash has 4 unlocks, Smash melee has 11 unlocks, Smash brawl has 16 unlocks, Smash 4 has..... 12? If I know my numbers right, 12 is not bigger than 16.
Oh, and the rumored final 5? they would push the number up to 17.
Personally, I am hoping that sakurai is just trolling us in game. (Even though it is very unlikely.)

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I never really "wanted" Ridley.(How do you make him playable without downplaying who he is?) I never really begged for Mewtwo. I gave no craps about King K. Rool. I would've liked to have Isaac but got to terms in my head it'd be impossible.

But then it inevitably happened anyway. ROB and Duck Hunt Dog prevailed over ANY of these extremely desired characters, or even the priority of giving Ganondorf his own moveset. When something this downright dumb happens, there's just a wave of sadness that takes away that big hype, making you question just what the hell they were thinking over there. Luckily I already had my fix, but I feel terrible for all of you who pretty much had your dreams crushed.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
well then, if this is true then sakurai HATES Ridley fans for some unknown reason.
Well it is more of a western wanted character and most of the newcomers sans DHD and the 3rd parties were big last gen- which game flopped last gen? Metroid: Other M. Maybe he thought the series was dying out/didn't need a 3rd character yet. People are still holding out for DLC or Wii U unlockables that transfer over, but we'll see.

Thor

Smash Champion
I am still sad that the "clone corner" is there.
But Falco [and Toon Link and Luigi] aren't down there.

And to be honest, Lucina is supposed to have one notable difference [at least] and I think Doc will too. Someone tested and said Dark Pit's arrows are stronger as well.

I have to say this, even if it means nothing. Smash has 4 unlocks, Smash melee has 11 unlocks, Smash brawl has 16 unlocks, Smash 4 has..... 12? If I know my numbers right, 12 is not bigger than 16.
Personally, I am hoping that sakurai is just trolling us in game. (Even though it is very unlikely.)
Count starting rosters though:

Smash 64 had 8 (12 total).
Melee had 14 (26 total).
Brawl had 22 (counting some transforming but not PT) [39 total].
Smash 4 had 38 [50 total].

I'm oaky with that - and I think it was done so that a lot of the characters people were expected to be excited to play (Palutena, Shulk, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Greninja, Little Mac) are already there for people who don't want to have to go unlock them.

So I think it's probably fine to have fewer unlocks if you have a starting roster about equal to the size of the previous game [imagine a Smash 5 with only 11 unlocks, but 49 starters - would that make you upset?].

Last edited:

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
I never really "wanted" Ridley.(How do you make him playable without downplaying who he is?) I never really begged for Mewtwo. I gave no craps about King K. Rool. I would've liked to have Isaac but got to terms in my head it'd be impossible.

But then it inevitably happened anyway. ROB and Duck Hunt Dog prevailed over ANY of these extremely desired characters, or even the priority of giving Ganondorf his own moveset. When something this downright dumb happens, there's just a wave of sadness that takes away that big hype, making you question just what the hell they were thinking over there. Luckily I already had my fix, but I feel terrible for all of you who pretty much had your dreams crushed.
You sir have earned my respect.

Still the possibility for DLC is present. Even if Sakurai doesn't believe DLC is a viable alternative to include characters, Smash is popular enough to have DLC in the future.

Last edited:

Batavus

Smash Rookie
I don't mind te final roster at all. Just kinda annoying the way it's ordered... OCD kicking in.
Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario not being next to the other representatives of their franchises is bothering me more than it should.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
If you want to be technical, you unlock 7 Bowser Jr. clones with him.

Alph & the Koopalings are still very much characters. They're basically no different from the clones aside from being 1:1 & no slots on the screen. They even have their own names, voices & announcer calls.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
No :icsmelee:'s makes me sad :(

They were very fun to play and an important competitive staple. It sucks that the technical issues Sakurai talked about at E3 2013 won in the end, but hey, what can you do?

Long Live the Ice Climbers.

Now if you'll excuse me, its time to hopelessly wait for free Ice Climbers DLC.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
it sucks that golden sun seems to have 0 of anything in the game but over all i like the roster
Camalot is in the credits, so there could be something.

I don't mind te final roster at all. Just kinda annoying the way it's ordered... OCD kicking in.
Same here. Looks alot better with the Mii icon, but somebody couldn't of swapped Dr. Mario and G&W around?

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Other M bombed. Why were people expecting Ridley? I get holding out hope into the last second, but expecting it and then being upset when it doesn't happen is unfair.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Other M bombed. Why were people expecting Ridley? I get holding out hope into the last second, but expecting it and then being upset when it doesn't happen is unfair.
Kid Icarus: Uprising didn't do so well either, but we got 2 new characters from that franchise. Duck Hunt hasn't been a relevant game since the 80s. I doubt Sakurai only looks at the latest games when he makes these rosters.

Last edited:

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
But Falco [and Toon Link and Luigi] aren't down there.

And to be honest, Lucina is supposed to have one notable difference [at least] and I think Doc will too. Someone tested and said Dark Pit's arrows are stronger as well.

Count starting rosters though:

Smash 64 had 8 (12 total).
Melee had 14 (26 total).
Brawl had 22 (counting some transforming but not PT) [39 total].
Smash 4 had 38 [50 total].

I'm oaky with that - and I think it was done so that a lot of the characters people were expected to be excited to play (Palutena, Shulk, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Greninja, Little Mac) are already there for people who don't want to have to go unlock them.

So I think it's probably fine to have fewer unlocks if you have a starting roster about equal to the size of the previous game [imagine a Smash 5 with only 11 unlocks, but 49 starters - would that make you upset?].
The game could have 70 characters and 3 hidden newcomers and people would complain....in the end people seem to judge the game by what they didn't know instead of what they did.

Last edited:
It's solid. I really can't feel sad for those of is who wanted characters; they'll probably get over it. I do feel sorry for those of us who lost some characters, though. It hurts more to lose something than to be upset with something you never had.

I guess no one here remembers that Snake was a thing...lol

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Some of my thoughts;

While Dr. Mario was my favorite character that was cut from Brawl, him getting back in over Mewtwo just seems bizarre, although it had to have been much easier because he's a clone.

Ridley would have been cool, but I can live without him.

The cut characters from Brawl were acceptable IMO, although not having the Ice Climbers in this game feels wrong, even though I never really liked them in Melee or Brawl.

Shulk shouldn't be on the bottom line, and the clones shouldn't have their own section.

All in all, I find this to be an acceptable final roster, Mega Man alone was enough to get me to buy the game. Now I really hope that there's some DLC that comes out around the release of the Wii U version, just for the sake of possibly having Mewtwo return.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I think people wanted Ridley since Melee. Also, Ridley did appear in past Metroid games. Just saying.

Hopefully we get a day one patch - well, a day one patch for people overseas - that adds some characters...

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Metroid games have generally never sold all that well in Japan. It's much more popular here in America, where still it sells a very small fraction of what the practically annual pokemon releases do.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Ugh. Ridley's absence sucks. The "clone corner" also sucks.
*hopes for Ridley DLC*

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Some of my thoughts;

While Dr. Mario was my favorite character that was cut from Brawl, him getting back in over Mewtwo just seems bizarre, although it had to have been much easier because he's a clone.

Ridley would have been cool, but I can live without him.

The cut characters from Brawl were acceptable IMO, although not having the Ice Climbers in this game feels wrong, even though I never really liked them in Melee or Brawl.

Shulk shouldn't be on the bottom line, and the clones shouldn't have their own section.

All in all, I find this to be an acceptable final roster, Mega Man alone was enough to get me to buy the game. Now I really hope that there's some DLC that comes out around the release of the Wii U version, just for the sake of possibly having Mewtwo return.
i really wish people would stop saying dr mario got in over mewtwo, clones take no time in comparison to other characters in the long term i doubt he would have gotten in if they had to make a move set and animations from scratch for him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom