• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Metaknight

SymmetriKs

Smash Rookie
Kay, I need some assistance.
I can play Ike decently, but whenever I play Metaknight I pretty much choke and get owned.

Anyways to counter Metaknight?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
You should try Shielding his Air attacks and punishing with an A combo, rack up some damage like that and you'll be inthe Ftilt/Bair zone. Try to outpredict his moves and keep him guessing with counter. You have much better range, so it is he who will be approaching you. Also try to stay mobile with Quick Draw. When knocked off, get near the bottom and use Aether, or you WILL be gimped. Not much else to say, I don't think it's a very hard match up for Ike if you play smart.

Edit: Try not to overdo smashes in this match, but punish Airdodging right above you with an Upsmash and excessive Rollers with a Dsmash. Try to not fire off Fsmashes randomly, since Metaknight can easily punish you.

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
AAA, fair is what I use against my friend's metaknight. Keeping your spacing is a must, and prediction is key with his down+B; I've nailed someone with an fsmash when they used it.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
try to space with Fairs, FF Nairs to knock him up into other moves. Use the Dtilt spike if they aren't thinking and get themselves into that position. I like to shield grab MK a lot. Really have to play patient and slow in this match up with how fast MK is and how many aerials he can get off.

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
The key is to not get hit. At all. Yeah, a universal tactic, but it matters a lot here. It seems to be really hard for me to get out of consecutive hits when the Metaknight starts to gain the advantage. Usually, these chains ends with a semi-spike/edgeguard that Ike has no hope of escaping. Don't be too predictable, because you will get shielded, and hit, and get killed. Forward Tilts murder low weights, Metaknight is no exception. Use it's great range to outprioritize Metaknight for the kill.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
If your foe uses a lot of "B" moves, fight near the edge. All of his "B" moves will make MK unable to recover and, if he slips up, he is sure to plummet to his doom. Just be sure to master the quick ledge grab

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
The trick to fighting MK with anyone is to play patiently. Ike can benefit in many ways with this, mainly because his range allows him to punish any expected oncoming attacks. You don't want MK to combo you, and there are 2 ways to do this. If MK hits you first, and begins to lead in with more abilities, you can either; use Eruption or Aether's super armor to resist and counter his blows, or you can anticpate him in a more advanced way. Either use Fair or Nair to out range, Quick Draw to dodge(seldomly) or if on the ground, mix up dodges with jabs and shieldgrabbing.

HolyForce

Smash Journeyman
I'm a MK main who is seeking to learn Ike because I find him crazy fun, as well.

I don't recall an Ike I've ever lost to (guess I need to play more of 'em!) but his move that hit me most was AAA.

Oh, he KO'd me once because I tried to glide attack him and he used that massive smash disjointed hitbox to send me packing at like 45%. Ouch.

He was doing best when he made me respect the counter.

good luck

Goodstyle

Smash Apprentice
Ike is the total opposite of MK. Also whoever said MK has much less range than Ike is wrong. Ike has slightly better range and is waaay slower. If you really want to beat MK, play as Snake.

Mokai

Smash Apprentice
Also whoever said MK has much less range than Ike is wrong.
Ike has slightly better range and is waaay slower.
You just contradicted yourself. You call someone wrong for saying that Metaknight has inferior range to Ike, and then you yourself say that Metaknight has shorter range. Attack speed has nothing to do with range, they're two separate factors.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
When recovering as Ike you have 3 options.

First, if knocked at a high angle, use Quick Draw and expect to dash into a safe position, don't use it for the ledge more often than not, but to get to the center of the stage.

In many other cases, you want to get below the edge and Aether. We all know that everyone likes to gimp out Ike's recovery, so this is where your mindgames and skill need to show the best. There are times when you want to Aether as soon as possible, so that you can begin the SAF of the attack and not get gimped. If you have a few moments to hold (which you often do since Aether as so much vertical distance) wait before using Aether, and if the foe jumps down too soon you can throw the sword into him. Also, if you make Ike use Aether in the opposite direction (which would mean you would catch the edge with your back) you can on occasion hit the opponent in cases where you would normally not.
Finally, in a lot of situations you can afford to air dodge and maybe even Nair one good time and then Aether to the ledge, which you need to be ready to do on a hasty opponent.

The last option is suicide, if the opponent is at a high % and tries to jump down to ensure your death, hit him with an uncharged eruption. Eruption kills a lot of crap at the right %, even without a hint of a charge. If you can save your second jump, then use it with an air dodge and follow it with a Dair to punish the opponent, then try to recover. Just remember, if you hit an opponent at a weird angle when he hits you at the same time, you can move at an unexpected angle, often killing the opponent but not being knocked back so far you can't recover.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Try to stay in the middle of the stage. Rack damage up with jab cancelling. Its a really bad match up for Ike, theres not much you can do other then space yourself properly and keep him away with fair.

This is just a ******** match up. I suggest just using a different character if you can. I have way too much trouble with MK, and MK is already annoying even if you are MK yourself fighting a MK.

Watch some videos of Azen playing with Ike if you are going to persist. I have given up using Ike against MK, I am picking up Wario or G&W. Its one of the worst match ups in the game I would say.

SymmetriKs

Smash Rookie
Try to stay in the middle of the stage. Rack damage up with jab cancelling. Its a really bad match up for Ike, theres not much you can do other then space yourself properly and keep him away with fair.

This is just a ******** match up. I suggest just using a different character if you can. I have way too much trouble with MK, and MK is already annoying even if you are MK yourself fighting a MK.

Watch some videos of Azen playing with Ike if you are going to persist. I have given up using Ike against MK, I am picking up Wario or G&W. Its one of the worst match ups in the game I would say.
Thanks, I know it's a ******** matchup, but hell, if Silven, Kirk, and Azen can do it, why can't I? :chuckle:

Retroking2000

Smash Master
The trick to fighting MK with anyone is to play patiently. Ike can benefit in many ways with this, mainly because his range allows him to punish any expected oncoming attacks. You don't want MK to combo you, and there are 2 ways to do this. If MK hits you first, and begins to lead in with more abilities, you can either; use Eruption or Aether's super armor to resist and counter his blows, or you can anticpate him in a more advanced way. Either use Fair or Nair to out range, Quick Draw to dodge(seldomly) or if on the ground, mix up dodges with jabs and shieldgrabbing.

THIS is a good post listen to this guy

Sliq

Smash Master

HAHAHA! I was actually thinking about picking Ike to counter MK, since Ganon definately won't do it. I fiugred his fair would be enough to keep away, and his coutner would work againt jerk whorenado spammers. =/

Guess I'm dumb.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
counter sometimes doesn't work >_> You can be hit out of it 50% of the time against tornado. (Short range works, long range doesn't). Fair beats tornado always. ftilt arced Up can do it too but it has to go thru the tornado and hit the middle of it.

Ike can fight MK, people just think All Ikes are slow thus MK will never get hit. This is where the sterotype is wrong. Ike has worse match ups than MK in my opinion.

Fair is a great tool against MK, outranging all of his moves. Forward smash WILL go thru side B and sometimes tornado if you can time it good, but MK's tornado moves too fast to be hit by forward smash. Forward smash/tilt CAN outrange the glide attack. eruption is a nice edge guard bluff and good for this MKs who are dumb and think MK counters Ike. Trust me you get it a lot that MK will **** Ike. Which he does if you are careless. All in all though, MK is a tough match up no matter what. >_> speaking for my self getting ***** by M2K in 34 seconds flat, If you aren't as skilled as that MK user you aren't gonna win.

SymmetriKs

Smash Rookie
counter sometimes doesn't work >_> You can be hit out of it 50% of the time against tornado. (Short range works, long range doesn't). Fair beats tornado always. ftilt arced Up can do it too but it has to go thru the tornado and hit the middle of it.

Ike can fight MK, people just think All Ikes are slow thus MK will never get hit. This is where the sterotype is wrong. Ike has worse match ups than MK in my opinion.

Fair is a great tool against MK, outranging all of his moves. Forward smash WILL go thru side B and sometimes tornado if you can time it good, but MK's tornado moves too fast to be hit by forward smash. Forward smash/tilt CAN outrange the glide attack. eruption is a nice edge guard bluff and good for this MKs who are dumb and think MK counters Ike. Trust me you get it a lot that MK will **** Ike. Which he does if you are careless. All in all though, MK is a tough match up no matter what. >_> speaking for my self getting ***** by M2K in 34 seconds flat, If you aren't as skilled as that MK user you aren't gonna win.
Well just last night I finally beat my friend's MK, by a good margin too. Turns out I wasn't spacing correctly. It was still difficult after he got the hang of my game, but atleast now it's do-able.

Top Bottom