• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Females require more skill?

wavelucas

Smash Apprentice
Do you think that playing as a female character needs more technical skill than playing as a male character because you can't rely on brute strength? For examle, you never see a Zela player using brute force to kill. Her most popular killing move is her kick, wich reqires precice accuracy. Keep in mind that there are no female heavyweights, and Superdoodleman uses Peach as a main.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sheik, Zelda, and Peach do not need more technical skill, in either game. Zelda has attacks that KO at under 100%. Zero Suit Samus' Side+B is insane. Samus is one of the heavier characters in Smash.

Your entire hypothesis is wrong.

isomorphism

Smash Cadet
Yes, Shiek does, but Shiek is more agressive than Zelda or Peach.
I thought your point was about female characters, not aggressive characters. In fact, I just checked, and you never used the word "aggressive" at all in your initial post. You did use "Zela," "brute force," "brute strength," "precice accuracy," and "female heavyweights" (the last of these is not true, incidentally, since both Zelda and Samus are in pretty heavy weight classes).

Edit: I forgot "wich reqires" and "for examle."

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Umm...Zelda's most popular killing move is UpAir. And just because a character isn't heavyweight doesn't mean they require no skill to play.

Wander

Smash Journeyman
It takes skill to play any character, I don't see how the female characters are any less aggressive or more skillful than the male characters. And what to do about Jigglypuff?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Zelda's Lightning Kick is brute strength (if sweetspotted). Zelda is a character whose moves damage quite well and KO quite well as well. She's a brute strength female. Also, brute strength characters require skill.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Now that I feel like not being an ***...

Zamus: FAir, side B, UAir
Jigglypuff (Melee): Rest and the wall of pain; not much technical skill required for Jiggs either
Peach (Melee): DSmash lololol, FAir, NAir, BAir
Zelda (Brawl): Din's Fire, Smashes, (Anything)Air
Sheik: ...
Marth: ...

Charizard92

Smash Champion
You guys joke about that one too much I swear (laughter). But really, while the females do have a couple of kill moves (provided that you count Jigglypuff the number will increase), but there isn't a straight forward approach (I think). Also, some people think Ivysaur is female (I don't, but this is my opinion) then your entire hypothesis is thrown out the window (usmash, duh).

Pretty In Pink

Smash Cadet
Zelda, Marth, and Samus are definitely 'brute force' female characters. Just because they are female doesn't mean they are weaker than the males. This is a video game with talking rats and monkeys for crying out loud... It just depends on the player using them.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Marth is CLEARLY a woman

To thread creator: what does SDM have to do with this LOL

Zodiac

Smash Master
Do you think that playing as a female character needs more technical skill than playing as a male character because you can't rely on brute strength? For examle, you never see a Zela player using brute force to kill. Her most popular killing move is her kick, wich reqires precice accuracy. Keep in mind that there are no female heavyweights, and Superdoodleman uses Peach as a main.
Yatta Dante plays zelda in both, and in both he uses nothing but brute strength to win,, peaches Back throw, Peaches Dsmash, Peachs fair, Peaches Nair. None of those are weak. I don't think that any of the female characters require more skill, well except sheik at advanced levels (In melee) because of how fast and precise you need to be with her. I haven't played brawl sheik in a while but she seemed to be just as easy to use as most of the other characters, Honestly I think it takes more to use peach in brawl than it does sheik in brawl.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
Well, Zelda owns now. Sheik, Zamus, and Peach will probably get low on the tiers now. With the exception of Nana :laugh:

wavelucas

Smash Apprentice
Sheik, Zelda, and Peach do not need more technical skill, in either game. Zelda has attacks that KO at under 100%. Zero Suit Samus' Side+B is insane. Samus is one of the heavier characters in Smash.

Your entire hypothesis is wrong.
I don't care if I'm wrong, I just wanted people's opinions if they were willing to share them.

Waldorf

Smash Rookie
GofG, who is currently banned for an epic post involving pure win, would like to ask if perhaps the original poster was implying that it takes more skill to do things involving females than do things involving brawl?
btw this is gofg's friend

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
In Brawl I'd agree. In Melee, Samus was a beast and Shiek was really easy to get the hang of.

But in Brawl...Samus is so poor, you have to master Zair to be able to get anywhere. ZSS is so odd it requires a lot of technical skill to combo. Peach is probably the most technical character in the game and requires a lot of thought, and she outright sucks unless you have a LOT of practice. Shiek has no killing power unless you get creative, and Zelda's recovery takes a LOT of practice to master.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
nope
its real
she does that win pose if you unlock the secret costumes. duh.
Yeah, there are secret costumes (sarcasm). You know, Marth has a sword, and it would be a bit more convincing if you put one in there, and also, if you use photo shop on the trophy description, it would be even more convincing. And do you know what else, I just gave all the good ideas away, now you Can't joke about it anymore (sinister laughs)!

Kraut

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, there are secret costumes (sarcasm). You know, Marth has a sword, and it would be a bit more convincing if you put one in there, and also, if you use photo shop on the trophy description, it would be even more convincing. And do you know what else, I just gave all the good ideas away, now you Can't joke about it anymore (sinister laughs)!
no jokes
there are secret costumes
fer realz
you have to be pro to get them though
guess you havent gotten that good yet =\
its okay princess martha will wait for you

Charizard92

Smash Champion
How do you get them, without action replay or glitching the game up or photo shop? There isn't huh?!

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
Charizard92, my friend, you have an amazing talent with the obvious, i'd give you some cookies for it...but just plain no. You should stop arguing about... now.

On Topic: I dont think so, i dont think the programmers would be that sexist to make female character more dificult to use, or weaker, depending on what the actualy point of the topic is.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One thing that I do know is that pretty much all the female fighters can spam their smash attacks rather frequently. At times I've done over 100 smash attacks when using Peach.

Top Bottom