• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Feb 22, 2014] Toasted Ravs 3 (Saint Louis, Missouri)

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Schedule:

Registration..............................11AM........... $5 Venue Fee
Melee Doubles.........................12PM............$10/team
Project M....................................1PM..............$10
Melee Singles............................3PM.............$10
Amateur Bracket......................4:30PM..........$5
Grudge Matches......................Any..............$3=BO3, $5=BO5
Crew Battle................................7PM..............$3/entrant
Raffle drawing(s)......................8PM.............$1/ticket
Cactuar Stamina Pancake.......8:15PM.........$5

As you can see, we have a departure from what our usual schedule looks like. One main difference is that there are NO POOLS for Melee Singles, which frees up a lot of time and set ups. The Crew Battle will be a big featured event that everyone could potentially participate in. Cactuar Stamina Pancake is a really fun and unique tournament experience. And I'm throwing in a small raffle and Grudge Matches just to add to the hype.

A few things to note:

• Grudge Matches are glorified money matches, except they are on the big screen, recorded, and commentated. You can MM your opponent however much $$ you want, but it's a $3 minimum for a BO3 set, and a $5 min for a BO5 set. Standard tourney rules apply, unless you want to do a CSP Grudge match. Once you agree on a Grudge Match with your opponent, tell the TO (Tournament Organizer) and we'll schedule you at the next available time.
  • Crew Battle will be DRAFT Crews. I know it's more fun to do area vs area, but last tournament showed 25 STL locals, and 5 non-STL folks. Doing draft crews could involve everyone in attendance, so a 16x16 may be possible (not to exceed that). There is a 3-dollar buy-in per entrant, and the winning team splits the pot. Crew Captains will be selected by a semi-voluntary, semi-random means, yet to be determined.
  • The Raffle Prize is a surprise. There may be other people that would like to donate a raffle item, but for now, it's just the one prize. $1 per ticket to be drawn at random. Buy as many tickets as you want. Any money exceeding the value of the item that I am purchasing goes towards subsidizing the venue fee in a FUTURE TR tournament (I try to get my in-laws at least $100 for the use of their space, so that's the number I'll be estimating off of).
FAQ's:
  • Since there are no pools this time, how will the bracket be seeded?
The main bracket will be seeded based off what I know of players from past tournaments. If this is your first tournament and I don't know your skill level, I cannot get you a preferable seed. I would definitely recommend the Amateur Bracket (AB) for newcomers, and seeding will be more randomized there.

• With no pools, how will we know who qualifies to get into the Amateur Bracket?
Previous winners of former AB's that I've hosted no longer qualify to compete in AB. Entrants who have historically placed in the bottom half of my previous tournaments will likely qualify for AB. I may also accidentally ask the rude question, "Hey, would you like to join the amateur bracket?" That's an inconsiderate way for me to indicate that yes, you qualify for AB. And if you get knocked out of the main bracket quickly, you'll still have time to register for AB. If you're still in the main bracket by the time AB kicks off, you probably shouldn't be in AB.

Payouts for everything:

1. 60%
2. 30%
3. 10%
**But if 3rd place would receive fewer dollars than the money they put in to enter, payout will be 1st=65, 2nd=35, no payout on 3rd.

Ruleset for Melee Singles, Doubles, & AB:
  • Double Elimination Style
  • All sets are best of 3 matches except Winner's/Loser's Finals, Semis, Quarters and Grand Final sets which are best of 5.
  • 4 stock, 8:00-minute timer
  • Items OFF
  • Friendly Fire ON for doubles
  • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
  • Wobbling is legal.
  • Stalling with Jigglypuff's infinite sleep or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.
  • Stupid glitches are banned. I shouldn't have to tell you to avoid making a black hole.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action.
  • Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you already won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
  • Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.

Choosing a character:
In the event neither contestant wants to pick their character first, do a double-blind pick using either a 3rd party or a piece of paper.

Stage strike from the neutral (non-counterpick) stages for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:
1. RPS for first stage ban.
2. First player strikes one stage.
3. Second player strikes the next two stages.
4. First player strikes one stage/picks remaining stage.

Stagelist for Singles:
  • Final Destination
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Dream Land
  • Battlefield
  • Fountain of Dreams
Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
Stagelist for Doubles:
  • Final Destination
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Dream Land
  • Battlefield
  • Pokemon Stadium

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (no bans in BO5's)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Cactuar Stamina Pancake Rules:

Cactuar:
  • Best of 7
  • Random stage except Icicle Mountain & Brinstar Depths
  • Both players get 2 stage bans for the set
Stamina:
  • Stamina Mode
Pancake:
  • First, randomly select characters.
  • Then winner flips, then loser flips.(A flip is either repicking your own character randomly, or forcing the opponent to repick, or you can pass.)
  • For first match, RPS for whoever flips first.

Extra CSP rules and clarifications:
  • If Zelda is randomly selected, re-random again to determine if you got Zelda or Sheik. The top 2 rows = Zelda, the bottom row = Sheik. This makes it very rare to have sheik, since she destroys low tier characters.
  • Select pichu before randoming. This is done to prevent disputes getting the same character twice in a row.
  • If you can't tell who won the match (i.e. trade blows on final hit), replay the match.

General Gameplay Rules:
  • BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
  • Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
  • Coaching is allowed only between games, not during.
  • DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
  • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
  • Absolutely no game hacks that affect the actual gameplay. You may use them for friendly setups, but please revert it to normal melee for tournament matches.

General Info and Venue Rules:
The office space you are looking for specifically is the "Tupperware" one. It's hard to miss, and very pink. Please don't walk into the Russian/Israeli Combat studio by mistake. It will be the worst mistake of your life.

Please park in the gravel lot on the south side (Northrup Ave side) of the building. Do not park in another businesses' paved parking spot. Actually, parking in the Russian/Israeli Combat spot would be the worst mistake of your life.

Please bring your own food if you plan on eating in the venue. Don't eat the food or ice cream in the fridge. Eating my Mother-In-Law's ice cream would definitely be the worst mistake of your life. But you may buy soda or the Keurig coffees that are available in the kitchen. 50 cents for soda, $1 per coffee. Honor system.

There are plenty of good restaurants around. If you're tired of the craziness, take a break and have a nice candlelit Italian dinner at Favazza's with your gamer bro or something. Lots of good food in the area. If you're not local to STL, check out "The Hill" online if you're interested.

Please respect this space and the commercial lot that it is on. Most of the other businesses that work within the lot don't come in on weekends, but avoid doing illegal activities in plain view or in closets, bathrooms, etc... The place is owned by a landlord who frequents the location, so let's avoid trouble so we can continue using this space.

We probably won't be streaming again this time :( but I will be recording. Anyone else is also welcome to bring their recording setup in addition. Venue Fee if waived if you bring a recording set up!

Please RSVP!! And bring set ups and CRT TV's! And bring friends! Plenty of space here. Thanks.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'll run Project M and edit a ruleset into the OP. How does starting at 1PM sound?

Anilogas

Smash Rookie
just curious, whats the estimated attendees for tournies like this?

mainly interested in melee

Roux

Smash Journeyman
just curious, whats the estimated attendees for tournies like this?

mainly interested in melee
We had 33 melee entrants the first time, 25 the second time. I'm definitely expecting more than 30 this time, hoping to break 40.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Also confirming.

You're not ready for me
Holyyy **** viperboy haha. You probably don't remember me but we've played once years ago(all I remember is lasers) and I live with Geno who I think knows you.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
He might come yeah, I'll try and get him to go.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This is exciting, my first Project M event. Any idea on number of entrants for PM?
No idea. I'm guessing around 20-30.

Anyone entering PM should bring a set-up with 3.02 for it including TV if possible. We will only have two TVs guaranteed for PM so more would be nice.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Nice! Who do you play?

whitemountain123

Smash Cadet
Super excited for this. Couple things:
1) As of now it says, "In the event neither contestant wants to pick their character first, RPS, winner chooses second." I think it's better (and standard) to do double blinds in these situations.
2) If anybody has a 4g device that can tether, we'll be able to stream (which would be super hype).
3) Frizz let's grudge match if we don't play in bracket

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Super excited for this. Couple things:
1) As of now it says, "In the event neither contestant wants to pick their character first, RPS, winner chooses second." I think it's better (and standard) to do double blinds in these situations.
2) If anybody has a 4g device that can tether, we'll be able to stream (which would be super hype).
3) Frizz let's grudge match if we don't play in bracket
1) Fixed. That makes better sense, that way the turnout of the game doesn't depend so heavily on RPS.
2) I have a 4G device that I am borrowing from work. It gets between 0.60 and 0.95 Mbps in what I've tested here at my house. I will have a better idea of its reliability on Friday evening. Regardless, it's weakest speed is still better than the wifi available at the venue. I've tested adjusting quality and framerates, etc to see what works best on slow internet, and will be stable, yet still viewable. I think I have a good plan. But they are currently working on installing new internet cable in that building, so NEXT Toasted Ravs will see massive improvements in the streaming quality :)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I will run PM doubles if there is enough interest.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
I'm goin'.

EDIT: I can bring my PC and record matches/ stream if wanted.
Plan on recording, the internet I'm using is tiny bandwidth so an additional stream won't be possible. Venue fee waived if you're recording.

Top Bottom