• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Feb. 14----Kirksville, MO----Smash Bros Before Hoes!

Cook

Smash Master
Well, I think we're about ready to host another tournament. I'm not sure at all about the date, I would like to hear the preferences of anyone who's interested in coming. I know the weekend of 1/17 is out because it's short notice and because of the Midwest Championships. The weekend of 2/21 is also out because we may be going to the Wichita tournament that weekend. So, about any other weekends in Feb. or Jan. are potential candidates. Anyone who is at all interested in coming should voice their preferences. I'll post the address later.

General Info

Brawl singles and doubles.

Kirksville is about 3 hours from St. Louis, only 1.5 hours from Columbia (anyone here go to Mizzou?), and (I think) about 3 from Kansas City. It's about 2.5 hours from Des Moines, and I think about 3.5 to 4 from Omaha. Anyway, it's within driving distance of a lot of places, and gas is cheap right now.

Directions to the venue: I'm guessing that pretty much everyone will be rolling into town on Highway 63, either heading north or south. Either way, you're going to want to turn west on to Normal St. (by KFC). From there, turn left onto Davis St. The actual venue is in the basement of the Kirk Memorial. Here is a link to a map of campus: http://tour.truman.edu/campusmap/
The Kirk Memorial is number 4. You should be able to find a place to park in one of the parking lots along Davis Street, either behind building number 7 or number 10. If there are no spots open there, then continue down David to Patterson, turn right onto Patterson, then left onto Florence and there will be parking lots on either side of the road. There will surely be parking in one of these many places. Anyway, wherever you park, just follow the map to building number 4. If you get lost, there are some numbers at the bottom of the OP.

Registration will begin at noon.

Tournament Cost:

10.00 for Singles
20.00 per Team

Split:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Rules:
-3 Stock

- 8 minute timer

-Items are set to "off" and "none"

-All sets will be best of 3 matches. The Finals (Losers/Winners/Grand) will be best of 5.

-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

-In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

-Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

-If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

-You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Rules for Double's:
-Life Stealing is allowed

-Team attack ON

-Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Striking: Players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set.

Double-blind pick: This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.

Neutral Stages:
- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Island
- Pokemon Stadium 1
- Battleship Halberd
- Smashville
- Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:
-Luigi's Mansion
-Delfino Plaza
-Pirate Ship
-Norfair
-Frigate Orpheon
-Skyworld
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Port Town Aero Dive
-Castle Siege
-Distant Planet
-PictoChat
-Jungle Japes
-Onett
-Corneria
-Rainbow Cruise
-Green Greens
-Brinstar
-Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

Folks to call for directions/info: Andrew (me)---(660)341-8535
Kit---(816)805-5175
Jordan---(816)863-9984

Nicole

Smash Champion
the 31st sounds good to me. can we please ban skyworld? also, are we gonna have enough setups, or should I bring my TV & Wii?

Cook

Smash Master
the 31st sounds good to me. can we please ban skyworld? also, are we gonna have enough setups, or should I bring my TV & Wii?
You should bring a TV and Wii. I'm not going to ban Skyworld, but I am considering letting everyone have two bans instead of just one, since a lot of people complained about the stages last time. Any thoughts on this?

Nicole

Smash Champion
2 bans sounds like an interesting idea...but I don't know if I'm totally down with that or not. Maybe 2 bans for teams, since there are 4 people playing, that way each person could say 1 stage that they want banned. I probably don't want 2 bans for singles though, but that's just my two cents.

Cook

Smash Master
Hopefully both you and Arkive can make it, Legan, that way we can get more of those Link dittos.

Nicole

Smash Champion
you should probably put the tentative date of 1/31 in the title of this, it might get more people to notice...

Cook

Smash Master
Either at Natalie's apartment or at OP. I have to see if we're allowed to reserve rooms in OP for video game business. I'll do that tomorrow.

Cook

Smash Master
So soon after the mwcc... I don't think I'll make this one guys. Sorry. Best of luck to asc... maybe your olimar place first for ankoku's list

~Fino
Do you think KC would come if we pushed it back a couple weeks? The date is definitely flexible.

Nicole

Smash Champion
hey, uh, i just realized, if we're doing this thing on truman's campus, shouldn't the house NOT take 5%, considering that we're not actually going to pay the school anything for letting us use their room?

Legan

Smash Lord
Yeah, the 31st is still tentative. If we did it 2/7 would Wichita attend? It just depends on which day would get the best turnout. Joker, Legan, does 2/7 work for you guys?
Thats on the same day as SMYM and me & my crew are already way committed to that. 1/31 still works for me or sometime after 2/7

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
2/7 works for us. The only thing that I'd be worried about if I were you is that Clash of the Titans is happening that weekend; might decrease turn-out.

Cook

Smash Master
2/7 works for us. The only thing that I'd be worried about if I were you is that Clash of the Titans is happening that weekend; might decrease turn-out.
Well, SMYM is 2/7 also, like Legan said. Do you think you guys could switch the bi-weekly date? I mean, it's just bi-weeklies. That way St. Louis and Wichita would both be able to come.

D

Deleted member

i want to come to this but i don't think i want to drive out in the cuts with gansta deer and cops that pull me over for looking mexican. thats why fino is my chauffeur :D

Cook

Smash Master
i want to come to this but i don't think i want to drive out in the cuts with gansta deer and cops that pull me over for looking mexican. thats why fino is my chauffeur :D
lrn2fly

Or maybe you could get a ride with Wichita if they are able to come? IDK if it's on the way or not.

LouBega

Smash Journeyman
don't look so mexican?

deer are ****ing scary though. i kill one pretty much every time i drive to or from kirksville.

Nicole

Smash Champion
valentine's day smash, eh? i can't think of a better way to spend it. i don't know that everyone else will see it that way though...

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Well, SMYM is 2/7 also, like Legan said. Do you think you guys could switch the bi-weekly date? I mean, it's just bi-weeklies. That way St. Louis and Wichita would both be able to come.
You'll have to talk to InfernoRage1 about that; he hosts the Bi-weeklies at his house.

Radium88

Smash Lord
Haha, other than it being some "Time for candies and chocolate goodness" -day, I get president's day off from work so I can stay an extra day.

Heh, I actually do enjoy the day but I wouldn't mind playing SSB.

D

Deleted member

lol i'd image that you would have to spend that time with your gf legan

if you can still go, lets wreck some ****

Nicole

Smash Champion
so this is on 2/14 for sure then? we (aka you, cookie) should change the date in the title.

Radium88

Smash Lord
hey, uh, i just realized, if we're doing this thing on truman's campus, shouldn't the house NOT take 5%, considering that we're not actually going to pay the school anything for letting us use their room?
I thought it was natural for the house to take 5%? Doesn't Joker do it in his basement so he doesn't actually pay for anything either. If the house takes the time to set stuff up, clean up afterward, make sure everything goes okay during the tournament, isn't that where the 5% comes in? But then again, I haven't been to any tournaments really.....so wtf do I know? Nuthin. But that was my understanding.

Legan

Smash Lord
lol i'd image that you would have to spend that time with your gf legan

if you can still go, lets wreck some ****
Shes actually getting pissed at me again for going to tournaments. I might not have have a gf for much longer but you know what they say:

"Smash Bros before Ho's".

But yea we can knock some heads around :D.

Top Bottom