• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Series in Smash and Why?

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
The title says it all. My favorite series in smash are :4megaman: and:4sonic:. These two are the two best third party characters in Smash. For First party it's :4littlemac:. You have to have good reflexes and memorization to play punch out. Little Mac was also my most wanted character in Smash, next to Mega Man.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
EarthBound/MOTHER:4ness::4lucas:is my all-time favorite vidya series.
Also really high up there are: Mega Man:4megaman:and Pokémon:4jigglypuff:.

I'm also a moderate fan of Mario:4mario:, Kirby (well, I really just like Dedede):4dedede:, Star Fox:4fox:and Zelda:4zelda:.
I like Sonic:4sonic:, but he's been a joke for years now when it comes to his games.

Completely unfamiliar with F-Zero:4falcon:and Fire Emblem:4marth:.

The rest I'm pretty indifferent about (except Kid Icarus:4pit:, where I really dislike the writing).

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Pokémon. I grew up with it and the series still is one of my favorite things in life.

I am quite fond of Donkey Kong, Rhythm Heaven (if we are counting any kind of representation in Smash), Mario, Sonic, Kirby, Animal Crossing and Metroid, too.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The Mario series :4mario: because it has :rosalina:, my favorite Mario character ever. Period.
Aside from that, I also like the Zelda series :4link:, Fire Emblem :4marth: (mainly because of the more representation it received), F-Zero :4falcon:, Star Fox :4fox: and Punch-Out!! :4littlemac:.
My favorite third-party series is definitely the Mega Man series :4megaman:.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I love Pac-Man because he just has this super fun retro video game aesthetic, being the first major video game character ever. The Pac-Man World games were really great platformers.

I also like Sonic a lot. Although he hasn't really hit his stride in a big way ever since Sega went third party, I really do believe that when Sonic's at his best, he deserves to be up there with gaming's greatest.

Of Nintendo's games, my favorite series of theirs are Mario, Wario Land, Donkey Kong and Star Fox. The original Star Fox on SNES is just an immaculate example of video games' core strengths in music and control. Everything about the game just "feels" exactly the way it should.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I also like Sonic a lot. Although he hasn't really hit his stride in a big way ever since Sega went third party, I really do believe that when Sonic's at his best, he deserves to be up there with gaming's greatest.
I agree. I feel like the Sonic series still has potential and I enjoyed Colors a good bit. Sonic's my favorite third party character in Smash, but I guess that's kind of unfair since I don't have a whole lot of experience with the other third parties. I also think it would be cool if Tails and Knuckles had more of a role in Smash, either as characters, assist trophies, or custom moves (I feel like holding onto Tails could work well as a Megaman Beat type of custom B-Up move).

Hmm, of the Nintendo game series that have characters appearing in Smash, my favorites are probably Pikmin, Pokemon, Mario, Animal Crossing, and Earthbound/Mother.

I think all of those series are generally well represented in the Smash games, though I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more Mario RPG stuff. My top four favorite characters in Smash 4 (:4olimar::4ness::rosalina::4villagerf:) all come from my favorite series in general. Weirdly, I've never really used any of the Pokemon characters much in Smash. I'm not totally sure why, but it probably has something to do with them not being my favorite Pokemon and wishing trainers were in Smash more (which probably sounds super silly really; I guess I just like some of the trainer characters in past games and would like to see them in 3D).

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I agree. I feel like the Sonic series still has potential and I enjoyed Colors a good bit. Sonic's my favorite third party character in Smash, but I guess that's kind of unfair since I don't have a whole lot of experience with the other third parties. I also think it would be cool if Tails and Knuckles had more of a role in Smash, either as characters, assist trophies, or custom moves (I feel like holding onto Tails could work well as a Megaman Beat type of custom B-Up move).
I don't think separate characters should be part of a character's moveset in any fighting game. Just make Tails/Knuckles playable. They could have similar abilities to Sonic, with Tails being able to fly and toss/drop explosive item capsules, and Knuckles being a slower heavy hitter that has deadly punch attacks, can glide and throw boulders.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Its pretty much the following:

Pokemon - A friend got me into the Pokemon series (which led me to watch the old animated cartoons as well as the Pokemon Trading Card games) way back during my childhood. And my favourite Pokemon of all time is still Pikachu.

Fire Emblem - I think it was when Melee introduced Marth and Roy which influenced me to be interested within the Fire Emblem series. I've been playing the series since the first game came over to the west and I've been a fan of the series since. If I had to pick my fave FE character of all time, it would be between Roy and Ike.

Xenoblade Chronicles - This was basically when I heard the rumors that Shulk could be in Smash 4, that influenced me to try out the game he came from. Played it and I enjoyed it. And yes, Shulk is my fave character from the game.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
i will list the series in order from most favorite to ok favorite by protagonist:
:4shulk::4ness::4pikachu::4sonic::4kirby:

:4shulk:= perfect story in one huge game.
:4ness:= fun to play, good story line, 3 games are very good.
:4pikachu:= very addicting to play.
:4sonic:= sonic advance, sonic adventure 1, ans sonic 2. all i have to say.
:4kirby:= I only knew kirby through my first kirby game: Kirby Air ride

Last edited:

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
:4zelda::4link::4ganondorf::4sheik::4tlink: All day, second :4mewtwo::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4pikachu::4charizard::4greninja:, honorable mention :4falco::4fox:

Edit: 1. LoZ:4link: 2: FE:4feroy: 3: Pokemon :150:
I played my first FE game and I am a changed man :)

Last edited:

Silxer

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much all the ones I've either enjoyed watching (watching a let's play of it) or actually played witch are:

- :4luigi::4mario::4yoshi::4bowser::4peach: (played various Mario games including the original.)

- :4marth::4myfriends::4feroy: (I've only played Fire Emblem, I would like to get Awakening at some point.)

- :4charizard::4lucario: (I've only played Pokemon Emerald.)

-:4lucas::4ness: (Saw a lets play of Earthbound, was good.)

- :4pit: (Played the original Kid Icarus, never was able to bet it.....yet.)

- :4palutena: :4darkpit: (Saw a let's play of Kid Icarus Uprising and much like the Earthbound let's play, it was very enjoyable.)

All the other games I haven't I'm pretty indifferent about since I haven't played them.

Jakenomad2.0

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1736-2266-7056
My favourites are

:4mario:- I like almost any game in this series

:4mewtwo:- The main series and mystery dungeon

:4kirby:- Any handheld ones

:4megaman:- Original and Battle network games

:snake:- Mgs2 and Mgs3 (I really want him to return)

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
:4mewtwo::4greninja: - The core series (Red - Alpha Sapphire) and spin offs (Colosseum, Gale of Darkness, Mystery Dungeon)

:4sonic: - Certain games that I enjoy playing come to mind (Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Advance/Sonic Advance 2/Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Battle, Sonic Generations)

:4mario: A lot of his games, but mostly because of :4yoshi:

:4kirby: - A few games (Kirby's Dream Land, Nightmare in Dream Land, The Amazing Mirror, Super Star/Super Star Ultra)

:4dk::4diddy: - I've played the first three Donkey Kong Country games

:4fox::4falco: - Slowly getting into this series (Started with Assault and have Star Fox 64 3D)

:4pacman: - I loved playing his games as a kid (The original game, Ms. Pac-Man and Pac-Man World 2)

:4ryu: - I only played Street Fighter at the arcades as a kid, but I really liked playing it.

Last edited:

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
:4sonic:- one of my favorite game characters of all time has sadly become garbage in his game of recent but i love all the early games (and sure i was like 10 11 when shadow the hedgehog came out but i have the unpopular opinion of actually really liking it but i dont know if i were to replay it XD)

:4charizard::4pikachu::4mewtwo::4jigglypuff:- i have loved the original pokemon games forever it feels like and still love it :p

:4kirby::4metaknight:- another one of my favorite series and i even loved the anime right back at yah :p

:4ryu:- when i was first introduced to fighting games was street fighter except instead of ryu i loved guile and that sonic boom!! :D

:4villager::4villagerf:- i got addicted to this game when it first came out and still like it alot but dont nearly play it as much

:4diddy::4dk:- i liked these guys alot on the gba n64 and gamecube but havent played one of their games in a long time

PS off topic
Pokémon because nostalgia.
100% behind the conker for smash!!! the little furball needs some love hes been ignored for far too long!!

Last edited:

Mikey Da Bawse

Smash Cadet
NNID
MikeyDaBawse
3DS FC
5129-1447-8505
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4charizard::4mewtwo::4greninja::4lucario: is by far my favorite
:4myfriends::4lucina::4marth::4feroy: is a close 2nd

:4mario: is up there but I haven't cared for :4mario: games in years.
Same with :4link::4zelda:

Would love to have a :4diddy: racing 2 and a new :4falcon: game that Nintendo will never give me.

Last edited:

EnigmaticKnight

Smash Apprentice
:4dk::4diddy:- The Donkey Kong Country series was enjoyable on the SNES.
:4yoshi:- Yoshi's Island have great levels and music. Plus, the boss was fun to fight.
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf:- A Link to the Past was my first Legend of Zelda game that I played. I also enjoyed Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess as well.
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser:- Played most of the Mario series, but Super Mario World was probably my favorite because it have great levels and music.
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja:- I like all the Pokemon generations, and Pokemon Stadium 2 and Pokemon Snap was fun to played back on the N64.
:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends:- Got into Fire Emblem because of these guys.
:snake:- Seeing Snake in Brawl got me into MGS, and MGS3 was my first MGS game that I got to played back then.

nubilepoopile

Smash Cadet
Toss up between Donkey Kong Country and Metal Gear. Guess I'm just a sucker for high production values. Zelda too, but every rep in Smash 4 is annoying so I kinda just pretend they aren't in the game.

kingofconeyisland

Smash Rookie
NNID
coneyislandking
:4pikachu:- I've loved pokemon as long as i can remember
:4ness:- One of the best rpg's ive played and also the quirky writing was humorous
:4villager:- I love silumation games i think i have over 500+ hours in new leaf
:4palutena:- uprising was lovely
:4peach:- i mostly like mario kart lol

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
:4falco:- Star Fox 64 is great
:4jigglypuff:- I play comp pokemon and jigglypuff is my mom's favorite pokemon
:4lucina:- GBA FE games are great
:4falcon:- F-Zero GX is great
:4ganondorf:- I've played every Zelda game and the best ones have Ganondorf in them
:4lucas:- Mother hype
:snake:- MGS is GOAT

Last edited:

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
Series I cherish and am a diehard fan of: :4pikachu: :4megaman: :4sonic:
Series I like, but aren't too crazy about: :4mario: :4marth: :4pit: :4villager: :4ness: :4link: :4kirby: :4yoshi:
Series that look interesting to me, but I don't know much about: :4shulk: :4samus: :4olimar: :4wiifit: :4ryu:
Series I hold very little interest in: :4dk: :4pacman: :4littlemac: :snake: :4fox: :4falcon:

Gold Zero

Smash Rookie
NNID
OrezDlog
3DS FC
4441-8406-8476
Fav Series: :4megaman:(Battle Network 3/X 1/9), :4marth:(Awakening/Blazing Sword/Geneology), :4pikachu:(Black-White 1/HGSS/Emerald)

I pretty much grew up with Pokemon and Mega Man. Battle Network and Gen 3 onwards (and Smash) got me into competitive gaming and helped build friendships. Fire Emblem is just cool beans and one of the few Nintendo franchises I care about anymore.

Secondary: :4link:(Majora's Mask/Wind Waker/LBW), :snake:(Snake Eater/Twin Snakes/Peace Walker), :4samus:(Super/Prime 1/Zero Mission), :4ness:(Earthbound/Mother 3), :4falcon:(X/GX)

I feel Zelda and Metal Gear have been kinda hit-or-miss with some of their last few games, but I still love them as a whole. For Metroid, I mostly just like the games I listed. Mother 3 and Earthbound are really cool RPGs, but have a lot of competition with other games in the genre. F-Zero is fun if you like games that are stupid hard, but I seriously doubt Nintendo is going to make anymore.

Troykv

Smash Master
My favorite franchises (the only ones where actually I'm a big Fan)

:4kirby:: My old favorite that I knew when I have like 4 years old, I still s special love for this series, I like the game style, Kirby is really fun and colorful.

:4feroy:: In most recent years (like 2010) I started to develop a love for these games... The Style, the gameplay, the mechanics, I love Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Kid Icarus, as Uprising is my favourite game ever released.

Shout-outs to Fire Emblem for being a damn close second.

AbelCor

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0104-1826-6256
Kid Icarus had super funny writing (Hades lol) but if custom robo counts then that. Custom robo arena was so fun. Seriously, story is meh but the gameplay darn fun

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Here are my favourites:

Pokémon - I've always been a fan of Pokémon since I was very young. My first Pokémon game was the spin-off Pinball game for GameBoy. I eventually did play Pokémon Red and since then I've played and followed every Pokémon in the main series. I also really enjoy the spin-offs like Ranger and Mystery Dungeon. I also really like competing in VGC tournaments and playing competitively in general.

Mega Man - The Mega Man games have always been a part of my childhood; they were such frustrating yet fun times. I just love Mega Man's gameplay style. I was insanely happy when Mega Man was finally revealed to be in Smash Bros. He's also one of mains in Smash 4. :)

Metroid - I've always loved playing the Metroid games. The sense of isolation and Alien-feel to the game really intrigues me. I still have yet to play all of Metroid Prime but I have the Trilogy; have to beat that some day. I did play a lot of Metroid Prime Hunters when I first got the DS though; great times.

I haven't played too many games in the Fire Emblem franchise but I've really enjoyed my time playing them. I still need to finish FE: Awakening though; I kept shafting the potential waifus. D:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
:4sonic: is my favourite game franchise ever besides Smash.

The Sonic franchise has it's ups and downs, but when it has ups, I easily think it's one of the best examples of good game design. IMO, while :4mario: has more consistency, it's only in part because of it rarely trying anything incredibly new (Galaxy and Sunshine were exceptions, and Sunshine isn't a very good game anyway IMO). :4sonic:'s highs are far beyond anything the Mario franchise does, and the games have always been much more innovative than Mario (Galaxy being an exception that rivals the innovative quality of most Sonic games), especially in the technical aspect - Sonic 1 was far more colourful and had much nicer graphics than Super Mario World despite the inferior hardware, Sonic Adventure was the first console game ever to have DLC, Sonic Unleashed was the first console game to utilise global illumination in it's public release (or at least one of the first).

The character himself is one of my favourite fictional characters ever, probably my third longest running favourite game character (the first and second being Spyro the Dragon and Rayman). Like the franchise, he has some poor portrayals, but for the most part, SEGA Sonic at least has remained likable.

:4pit: Kid Icarus: Uprising is one of my two favourite handheld games of all time (the other being Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy), and the cast of characters is pretty lovable. Not a fan of how Smash handled :4palutena:, who was actually a character I really wanted in the game, but I enjoy the character in Uprising (even though I enjoy others like Hades and Viridi more). And Uprising was just phenomenal in general. I really would like to see the franchise continue. My friend and I also discussed ideas for a film series, and the ideas we came up with were really cool.

:4link: and :4kirby: are historically my favourite Nintendo franchises. Always were a part of my life and played them a lot when I was younger, and I still tend to love most games in the franchises. And I love the characters from them too. Hyrule Warriors is like a Zelda drug for me.

:4fox: Star Fox is a franchise I always was curious to try out, but never had the opportunity to growing up. However, due to Smash, I finally took it upon myself to start getting into it lately, and honestly it's up there with :4link:,:4kirby:, and even :4sonic:. It's basically Gundam (my favourite anime franchise) in terms of the drama, action, and characterisation, with Sonic-like characters by design. And the gameplay is often really fun and addictive, and it uses space a lot, which is one of my favourite video game tropes. What's not to love? I'm glad I'm getting into this series. Assault is my favourite game in the series, and I'm looking forward to Zero. In fact, I've gotten to love this series so much in so little time, not only have I discussed film ideas like with Kid Icarus, but I've also made up a Zelda-esque timeline, just last week:

And last but not least, :4mario: is worth mentioning. While I only particularly like/love a few games in the main series, Super Mario Bros was the first game I ever played, so I was destined to come back to Mario. And I love a lot of the spin offs, like Luigi's Mansion games and Super Paper Mario. And while Mario himself isn't much of a character who I can care about, I like a lot of the characters, most notably :rosalina:, who is my favourite Nintendo character and female fictional character of all time, and definitely in that SSS tier of my favourite fictional characters. She also represents my favourite aspects of the Mario franchise (the Galaxy games and 3D World, the few times Mario actually tries something interesting and deep with it's characters, lore, and setting, some of my favourite Mario tunes like her theme song/the Comet Observatory theme, Luma's theme, Gusty Garden Galaxy and Good Egg Galaxy, giving characters actual agency and TONS of it in her case, etc). And I seriously think she deserves her own franchise like what :4yoshi: and :4wario2: got. I mean, with :rosalina:, there is a genuinely a big reason to do it, while Wario and Yoshi just kind of got it for easy 90's marketing reasons. Rosalina is a character who is loved for how deep she is and how she could potentially become even deeper, and there is just so much justification for it, from how much people love her to how she's literally this immortal character who has lived for centuries upon centuries already, meaning there is a lot they could elaborate on.

1. Pokemon (My favorite video game series)
2. Kirby
3. Mario/Yoshi
4. Donkey Kong (DKC series)
5. Mega Man (NES games only)
6. Wario (Wario Land only)

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
- Mario&Co representation has its good & not good: Good old Mario/Luigi/Bowser/Peach, Randomlina is annoying, I don't like Bowser Jr & would have prefered something related to his main appearance in Mario Sunshine. Yoshi is cute but annoying & cheap, Wario is pretty fun.
- DK Rep is nice, DK & DDK are just nice, but nothing exceptional imo.
- Game&Watch, if you can consider that a series, with G&W only: A nice character, creative moveset.
- Punch Out, & Little Mac. Lame character, based of a lame idea.
- The Legend of Zelda: Every single representation is god awful: I absolutely hate every single rep of this series
- Metroid: Samus is cool, Zero Suit Samus is pretty lame
- Kid Icarus: Eh, i just don't care about the 3 character of this series, they are okay i guess
- Fire Emblem: Same as TloZ, every rep is god awful to me
- Kirby: I don't like Kirby, Meta Knight is pretty cool, i wish Dedede was better but he's fun
- StarFox: Nice & Classic: Nerfed Falco is still fun to me, Good old Fox never gets old
- Pokemon: I only like (Melee) Jigglypuff, I think other are either lame ( Pika ) or gimmicky ( The rest )
- R.O.B: R.O.B is a fun little pocket thing to play as.
- Mother: Ness & Lucas are lame, never understood why they appealed to so many persons: i like the series through
- F-Zero: I like F-Zero's Falcon, but Falcon in Smash is just lame.
- Animal Crossing: Villager is as boring as his series
- Pikmin: I guess Olimar's okay, i like how he can go aggro or super defensive, maybe that's just me
- Wii Fit: Wii Fit is a fun character, once you get used to the horrible range of some moves, she's enjoyable
- Xenoblade Chronicles: Once again, very cool game, but Monado Marth is just unappealing to me, i guess i have a problem with swordfighters in general.
- Pac-Man: I like his moveset & i think the character is interesting to watch even if he's not the most exciting.
- Mega Man: Lame character from an overrated platformer.
- Sonic: Shut up Sonic, take example of the best charas of your series: Robots, and learn to just remain silent, you'd be much more enjoyable like that. Also, 80% of your moveset involve Spindash, meh.
- Mii: They are all quite fun, even through i can't play Mii Gunner very well
- Street Fighter: Same as Little Mac, the original idea is lame for Smash Bros.

monzer

Smash Journeyman
I'm very fond of :4mewtwo::4kirby::4robinm:, they are my top three franchises by far.
I enjoy playing :4mario::4olimar:.
I play :4link::4mii::4pacman::4samus::4wario::4yoshi:, occasionally.
I want to get a game of:4falcon::4dk::4fox::4ness::4pit::4ryu::4shulk::4villager:, soon.
I don't have much interest in:4drmario::4gaw::4luigi::4megaman::4rob::4sonic:.
I don't see the point that:4wiifit: even exists.

Top Bottom