• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

favorite generation?

fluffy

Smash Champion
My personal favorite generation for pokemon is the 1st one. Not because it it's "oldskool" or that it brought nostalgia (even though it IS oldskool and it DID bring nostalgia lol), 1st generation IMO has/had the most bada$$ pokemon.

charizard, alakazam, gengar, starmie, gyarados, aerodactyl, dragonite, mewtwo, slowbro...need i say more? 1st generation ***** face.

what's your favorite? (id recommend the 1st one)

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
For the Pokemon themselves first generation is the best (and nostalgia of course.) However I found G/S/C to be the best generation of games. I love the colorful graphics, the night and day feature, the week feature, travelling back to Kanto, etc.

G/S/C are the best games from the series, IMO. I still play them from time to time. I would play them more if my SP hadn't broke (I don't like playing games if I don't have a backlight, I got so used to it. XD)

Toilet Paper

Smash Journeyman
Most of my favorite pokemon come from the first generation, but the G/S/C gen was, IMHO, the best. Good graphics(For game boy), cool features(such as Day/Night, Week, and going to kanto as well). It's the only game that had 16 badges for you to get. S1xt33n!!!!111! It was actually my first pokemon game. Except for Pokemon Pinball, of course. It still is the best of the pokemon games for me. Cubone-bone-bone.

Tha L@wl

Smash Journeyman
i love the first two generations....
the last two i didn't like so much for some reason....
but all my favorite pokes are scattered throughout the generations like
1st- Ninetales, Mew
2nd - Umbreon, Celebi
3rd (hated this gen basically when i didn't play) - Lati@s, Jirachi
4th - Gallade, Darkrai

4th gen fails at cute 600 BST legendary.....

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Why does everyone hate RSE? I think most people like RBY and GSC because of the whole 'oldskool' thing. It's not like the pokemon in RBY were very original (Voltorb's a ball. Butterfree's a butterfly. Wow.), or that Johto gave us many good pokemon.

The RSE generation is probably my favorite. And yes, I've played all the games. So there was no day-or-night feature. So what? The pokemon were by far the most original (Claydol! Blaziken!) compared to how bland the others were (Blastoise makes me wanna snore...).

Therefor, I must say that RSE was my favorite.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Why does everyone hate RSE? I think most people like RBY and GSC because of the whole 'oldskool' thing. It's not like the pokemon in RBY were very original (Voltorb's a ball. Butterfree's a butterfly. Wow.), or that Johto gave us many good pokemon.

The RSE generation is probably my favorite. And yes, I've played all the games. So there was no day-or-night feature. So what? The pokemon were by far the most original (Claydol! Blaziken!) compared to how bland the others were (Blastoise makes me wanna snore...).

Therefor, I must say that RSE was my favorite.
Nice lecture!
Major Sarcasm!

My Lecture!

R/B/Y or G/C/S. The only reason R/B/Y is because of Nostalgia and it started it all. G/C/S is explanitory. It had a whole Johto quest then brought you to a harder quest in Kanto. Much more things to do and it was just awesome to fight the R/B/Y Gym Leaders again but even stronger! Plus, Gary was the last Gym battle you could get in that game..Gary is the man!
Lastly, R/B/Y were harder for trainers all around. At least in D/P we get a second best Pokemon League but R/B/Y was the best for that. G/C/S had Red! Why can't all games have one last challenging trainer with level 80's? That was awesome! I'm done.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
The first Gen. It brought the best starters, best legendaries, the best fossil pokes, and overall more sensical pokes.

My tops to bottoms are:

First Gen
Third Gen
Fourth Gen
Sencond Gen

Edit: Blastoise make you snore? sacrilige, Blastoise is a giant turtle with water spouting hydro cannons on his back. Who staps cannons on the back of a giant water spouting turtle? Original blastoise is indeed.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I meant Squirtle, not Blastoise. Sorry.

I found the addition of Kanto in GSC... Repetitive. Nothing was really new, besides that there was no Cinnibar Island and a few other things.

Anyways, my list is...

1. RSE
2. GSC
3. RBY
4. DP

Sinnoh was boring. The pokemon were cool, but the layout was horrible.

Blues7

Smash Cadet
GSC: Mainly because it was the first time I actually got into the game (used to play a friends Stadium game before). Another thing that made it great was that it expanded the dragon type and added a little more balance with the addition of dark and steel types, although not enough was done with the steel types imo.

Also, I do agree that RSE was quite bland. I figured I would start over after I migrated all my pokes to diamond. I got bored really quick. I'm still in the middle of it. They really could have done alot more with it.

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
gsc is the best, it just had more charm to it than the other pokemon games.
G/S/C was definitely the best, because of how it was the only generation to truly link to another one (R/B/Y)........i loved the 3 year time difference, all the changes that were made to Kanto in the 3 year difference, and how you were able to battle all the old gym leaders, along with both Red (Ash) and Blue (Gary)

:chuckle:

KingFeeF

Smash Apprentice
Game wise - GSC is the best by far..
Pokemon wise - RBY has the most original pokemon imo

DP kinda dissapointed me to be honest. They took out the HM for dive and replaced it with defog?! I wasnt able to catch a fire pokemon(excluding ponyta) until i practically beat the game. The side quests were corny. And worst of all, there was NO FIRE GYM..wtf.

Besides these minor issues i liked the game, but back on topic...1st gen is the best overall.

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman

DP kinda dissapointed me to be honest. They took out the HM for dive and replaced it with defog?! I wasnt able to catch a fire pokemon(excluding ponyta) until i practically beat the game. The side quests were corny. And worst of all, there was NO FIRE GYM..wtf.

Besides these minor issues i liked the game, but back on topic...1st gen is the best overall.
the original pokemon names were quite funny and clever (alakazam)..............now, they're just ******** (rotom - ZOMFG, i could NEVER guess it was motor spelled backwards)

:psycho:

Metadour-2

Smash Apprentice
as far as games in the generation goes, it's too long a discussion to even fathom talking about on a post, BUT as far as pokemon, it's a tie between 3rd and 4th. maybe first.

just because they gave us the most usable pokemon in battle.

face it, johto gaves us pokemon with all the same stats across the board (i.e. meganium, with like 80 in every stat) and dunsparce.

kanto did give us some of the most kickbutt pokemon to ever grace the earth, ones that still are in use today, but a lot of them were really "fluffy" (no affiliations w/ fluffy of SWF)

on the other hand, the third gen gaves us tons of pokemon that looked like they could tear you apart, and ones with far more unique purposes. plus, it expanded the game with double battles and abilities and whatnot, so it kinda ruled.

4th gen cause it evolved some previously ok pokes into die hard favorites. Rhyperior? Tangrowth? Electivire? Togekiss? Weavile?

ROSE-A-FRICKIN-RADE?

C'mon! although it did give us some total crap pokemon, it was more forced than usual. like, they knew they had to make crap pokemon, so they made fineon and bidoof.

and fourth gen has the only usable pidgey substitue.

noctowl? Swellow (sort of...)?

i would say 4th or 3rd ftw.

Kaddy

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to playing other people, I like RSE the best. I like how it's not a purely offensive metagame like DP.

And when it comes to the actual rpg, I'd say GSC. It had the best story of all the games so far.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
the original pokemon names were quite funny and clever (alakazam)..............now, they're just ******** (rotom - ZOMFG, i could NEVER guess it was motor spelled backwards)
A "magic" word is funny/clever?

Why does everyone say GSC had the best story line?! They're all pretty much exactly the same! The rival was some generic power-freak, the whole 'Unown' mystery-aspect was a complete waste of time, and the addition of Kanto was boring. It was like trying to get excited about a place I've already been to and know off the back of my hand.

Really, all the story lines blow.

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman

Why does everyone say GSC had the best story line?! They're all pretty much exactly the same! The rival was some generic power-freak, the whole 'Unown' mystery-aspect was a complete waste of time, and the addition of Kanto was boring. It was like trying to get excited about a place I've already been to and know off the back of my hand.

Really, all the story lines blow.
Well, if there is one, the 5th generation should have a spontaneous and near-never-ending plot. And maybe evolutions to Corsola, Delibird, and Kecleon. Yeah, boy.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
In game: GSC, RBY, DP, RSE
Competitively: DP, the rest of them all suck...
New Pokemon: RBY, GSC, DP, RSE (I only really liked one or two new pokemon)
Overall: DP, GSC, RBY, RSE

RSE suck, and it introduced that evil Kyogre. Lousy Thunder+Rain combo... :(

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Listen to what this one guy at Smogon has for his sig:

rbygsc kid 251 said:
I have played Pokemon since 12/4/98. RBY were awesome; GSC were even better. However, the release of RS on 3/18/03, left one thing that I had a serious problem with: THEY COMPLETELY ABANDONED 184 OF THE ORIGINAL 251 POKEMON. It took about 18 months for everyone to obtain these 184 poke's legality with the release of FR/LG on 9/7/04. THAT'S BULL$HiT! I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE THIRD GENERATION. From that day forward, I made a pact to only use Pokemon that originated[/ I] in RBYGSC. So when you battle me in the future you have an advantage right off the bat as you only have to look for 1-251/424/429/430/461-474.

Wat up wit dat, GameFreak?

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
In-Game: GSC > RBY > RSE > DP
Competitive: DP >>>>>>>> RSE > GSC > RBY
Pokemon: RBY > GSC > RSE >>> DP
Overall: GSC > DP > RBY > RSE

Now, you may be wondering, how do I have DP second if I put it as last for two of them? Well, what really matters in a Pokemon game is what you do when you're done. GSC had a whole other region, so that was definitely first. Diamond/Pearl had a great way to connect with people to battle around the world, so that was a definite two. Red, blue, and yellow had some fun legendaries to catch, plus an overall great landscape. Emerald had the Battle Fronteir, but that quickly got old. The other two just had nothing.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240

Well, that's your opinion.

I loved that you could go to Kanto and battle the gym leaders there. Perhaps you found it boring, but I enjoyed it. I liked how they developed the idea of it being 3 years later, as Cinnabar's volcano erupted being one example.

I can't really judge the series as a whole, I guess. I haven't played Diamond/Pearl, and seeing the way things are, I'm worried that I'd be disappointed with them. Though one of my friends wants me to buy Diamond/Pearl... What she doesn't know is that Wi-Fi doesn't work for me, so the fact that it's online would do absolutely no good for us. (she lives in Arkansas.)

G/S/C forever!

ss118

Smash Master
DP.
The type split really intrigues me, as I think this is the most Balance Metagame ever, despite it being a bit more offensive.
But you can do it with Variety

Tha L@wl

Smash Journeyman
D/P is the best game by far out of the generations..
but G/S/C had added so much to the game to make it more fun in future generations.....

tshahi10

Smash Ace
pokemon red for the win
*sob*
beingat a boarding schools 7 days a week with only 4 weeks off the entire year with no tv, pokemon red was the only thing that kept me going

Sneaky 2.0

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2724-1598-9725

I actually enjoyed D/P a lot, but they definitely need more Fire types. Aside from the necessary starter, their new Fire-type was Heatran (who probably would have made more sense as a Fire-Dragon type, why don't we have those?) and Magmortar (have yet to get one). Yet we get swamped with all of these Water-types... it's not fair.

Sneaky 2.0

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2724-1598-9725
I can understand, whoever's trying to make the game is trying to emulate an ecosystem, but give us some new Fire-types. Even if they're distribution like Mew. Please? :(

game & kirby

Smash Apprentice
I agree with ss118. Although RBY and GSC might have been more groundbreaking at the time, there's no denying that DP is simply a better game in almost every way, compared to the previous ones. The graphics are miles better, the level layouts are more memorable and more complex (walking through a blizzard to get to snowpoint, or the 3D platform maze for the steel gym were some of the best moments in pokemon). The physical special split was desperately needed, and the whole system just makes a lot more sense now, as well as opening the game up to many new strategies, making us take a second look at all the pokemon we thought we'd already judged. The new moves they added such as Trick Room have also opened up the way for a bunch of new strategies which give much more depth to the whole game.

The pokemon selection does leave something to be desired, this is true, and I wish there had been more fire pokemon as well. Also, I very much miss the Dive HM from RSE. But overall, I think the pokemon generations are just getting better.

DP FTW!

Top Bottom