• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Generation of Pokemon?

Favorite Generation?

• Gen 1

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Gen 2

• Gen 3

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Gen 4

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Gen 5

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Gen 6

• Total voters

Doctor Wario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4313-0727-2141
What is your favorite generation of Pokemon? I personally like gen 5 the best. Black was the first game I played. In my opinion, it has the best music and storyline. What are your thoughts?

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
X was the first game I played, however it isn't my favorite gen, partially because I was into the anime and TCG long before I started playing the games.
My favorite gen would probably be either 3 or 4, because they have so many of my favorite pokemon in them.
But as far as music goes, imo nothing can ever beat the Magma/Aqua Boss Battle music in ORAS.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Prob just gen 1, even for all its issues

It's probably the only gen I can recognize all the pokemon from just their silhouettes alone. Although I might be able to with gen 2

Actually, gen 2 would probably be the best when you combine it with gen 1

Difficult to say. Gen IV was the newest gen when I started playing. Gen V was a "fresh start": I liked how all regional dex Pokemon were new and you couldn't obtain old ones until after E4. Gen VI is the one I've played the most.

But I think Gen V is my favorite, after all. It brought many welcome changes to previous gen, and wasn't too easy like the following one.

Gen VII is shaping up very nicely, so it might eventually surpass Gen V.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For me... probably Gen 2. I started with Gold.

D

Deleted member

Gen 1 never played the originals but it's what got me hooked after hearing about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
This is kinda hard but I'll have to go with gen 2.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
That's really hard for me to decide. I've played so many of them growing up. There's alot of things about the past generations that make me enjoy them. Nostalgically, I played Gen 1 and Gen 3 the most, so I'm most familiar with them. Johto was never something I got to grow up with due to parental issues.

• Gen 1, gave us Hyper Beam Snorlax, mixed attacker Gyarados and having a fully evolved Dragonite meant something.
  • Gen 2, Curse Snorlax was king and wonderful Wobbuffet came into our lives.
  • Gen 3 gave us the awesome gorilla Slaking, the hyper offensive Salamence and the adorable little Wynaut whose Encore and Shadow Tag made Wobbuffet the first obscenely powerful non-Legendary.
  • Gen 4 kept Wobbuffet as a powerhouse with Salamence joining it in Ubers, Gyarados became good again, my favorite baby Pokemon Munchlax came to be and it introduced a ton of new evolutions and babies I still love like Mime Jr., Happiny, Mamoswine, Electivire, Tangrowth, Magnezone.
  • Gen 5 has a special place in my heart due to how much fun Archen made it. So many hyper offensive Pokemon available in a casual playthrough certainly makes that one memorable. I also really like the villains in Unova. Ghetsis had the right manipulative idea to pull off his plan.

I feel like I could flip a coin over Gen 3 and 5, tbh.

D

Deleted member

Honestly my favorite Generation was the 5th one.

I played FireRed, HeartGold, Emerald, and Platinum before White, but I have the most fond memories with White. I know that Gen 5 gets a lot of flak for not bringing back old Pokemon until the after game in BW1 or during BW2, but I felt like having all new Pokemon made it a fresh and new experience. The games also had a story, and a pretty good one at that! (more so in BW1, it's meh in BW2) I also love how the TMs are infinite now, so I don't have to get sullen over giving one Pokemon and only one Pokemon moves like Shadow Ball.

I do understand the hatred for Gen 5, but I feel like this Generation was pretty solid.

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
It's Gen 6 for me, if we're just talking about playing through the games. I like all the mechanics that the developers have been introducing, and the new 3D graphics (not the frame rate, though). It's become hard for me to go back to the older games. I have a feeling that Gen 7 will be my new favorite. We're slowly approaching my ideal Pokémon game, haha.

In terms of Pokémon, characters, and such, it would probably be Gen 3. Maybe it's because it was the game that got me into the series, but I really love a lot of the Pokémon and characters that were introduced in this gen. Also, it gave us my favorite champ, Steven Stone!

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
My favorite gen is either Gen 2 or Gen 5, with Gen 4 coming in a close second (or third, if you will.) I always liked being able to return to a region within the eyes of a new protagonist, with Gold going to Kanto 3 years after Red and Nate/Rosa traveling Unova 2 years after Hilbert/Hilda and all. Aside from plot/character reasons, Gen 2 and 5 both had great music. Although, since Gen 5 was based off America and New York, I think it might manage to become my favorite generation so far.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Gen 2 by far. Most of my favorite Pokemon came from Johto. Gen 2 also started many notable gameplay elements that are used to this day. Breeding, the berry system, night and day, friendship levels, roaming Pokemon, mascot Legendaries, held items, specialty Pokeballs, Shiny Pokemon and other things besides. Johto pretty much had everything I could want in a Pokemon game. Being able to explore a future Kanto was just icing on the cake. Oh, and then HGSS decides to include the Pokeathlon (or however it's spelled), which is what I consider to be the most fun non-battling competitive event in the series.

In terms of music, Gen 2 had a lot of unforgettable tunes, in both the originals and the remakes. I almost can't be bothered to remember much of the music in future Generations, but Gen 2 had this unique feel which enables the music to stand out over all others.

Gen 4 comes second.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Definitely Gen 4, though my decision may be a bit biased since it was my first Pokémon game ever. Nonetheless the soundtrack was just amazing and I loved the environments and cities. Contrary to popular belief, I thought the Pokémon in this Gen were pretty great. I loved the concepts of the Contests and the Underground. Imagine a remake of the Underground with other trainers running around, visiting each others' homes, and challenging each other in Pokémon battles!

Oh, and OP, you should definitely make a poll for this thread!

Mind if I share a few of my favorite soundtracks? You gotta hear them.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Gotta go with generation 4. It's the generation that I have the fondest memories of. It introduced online connectivity, and Sinnoh was a great region to explore. The music was pretty good for the most part too (the Team Galactic themes, Route 210, the legendary themes, and Champion Cynthia's theme come to mind), and while not the best evil team ever, I enjoyed Team Galactic quite a bit, especially in Platinum. Even some of the other characters were pretty enjoyable, such as Barry, Looker, Lucian, Roark, Bryon, and Cynthia. It even gave us the much needed physical/special split, and the Underground was an incredibly fun feature to use.

Perhaps what makes generation 4 my favorite out of all the Pokemon generations were the Pokemon introduced there. Almost the entire Sinnoh dex has my favorite Pokemon designs out of all the generations: you've got such amazing-looking such as Gallade, Lucario, Garchomp, Roserade, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, Darkrai, Weavile, Dusknoir, the starters, Staraptor, Luxray, Buizel, the Lake Guardians, Shaymin, Cherrim, Drapion, Magnezone, Froslass, Porygon-Z, the list goes on and on. Heck, a good number of them still remain my favorite Pokemon to this day.

Diamond and Pearl had some serious issues such as the slow battle and surfing speeds as well as unbalanced Pokedex that led to some Gym Leaders and Elite Four using Pokemon not of their type (I'm looking at you Volkner and Flint), but Platinum greatly improved those three issues, as well as bringing in more awesome features such as the Wifi Club and the return of the Battle Frontier; Platinum is also my favorite Pokemon game of the series.. I can imagine the potential Diamond and Pearl remakes will improve on gen 4 games even further.

Generation 3 is close behind as my second favorite generation, mainly due to the nostalgia of Ruby being my first Pokemon game as well as having another awesome caste of really well-designed Pokemon, a very memorable region, and some great characters. ORAS helped deepen my love for Hoenn even further with all the improvements it made.

D

Deleted member

As I now finished Moon...

Gen 2 = Gen 5 > Gen 3 > Gen 7 > Gen 1 = Gen 6 > Gen 4

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Of the ones I've beaten:

Gen 5 > Gen 7 > Gen 3 > Gen 6 (I haven't played Gen 1 or 2 yet, and I was never able to finish Gen 4)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Gen 7 > Gen 4 > Gen 2 > Gen 1 > Gen 5 > Gen 6 > Gen 3

At least how I feel ATM

Gen VII is shaping up very nicely, so it might eventually surpass Gen V.
And indeed it did. I liked almost every change they made, especially replacing HMs with Poke Rides and having trials instead of gyms. Only exceptions were changing Gengar's ability and fishing.

Current order: Gen 7 > Gen 5 > Gen 4 > Gen 2 = Gen 3 > Gen 6 > Gen 1

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
And indeed it did. I liked almost every change they made, especially replacing HMs with Poke Rides and having trials instead of gyms. Only exceptions were changing Gengar's ability and fishing.

Current order: Gen 7 > Gen 5 > Gen 4 > Gen 2 = Gen 3 > Gen 6 > Gen 1
You have no idea how much Gengar's new ability has messed me up

It's killer against a choice user

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Pretty much every generation of Pokemon has been better than the last in terms of UI, quality of life features, and mechanics, with the only exception being Gen 7, which I felt was a step down from Gen 6's UI. Also, Gen 7 performs like crap on my 3DS for some reason.

Overall:
  1. Gen 6
  2. Gen 4
  3. Gen 3
  4. Gen 2
  5. Gen 5
  6. Gen 1
  7. Gen 7
Separate Lists for Separate Things idk:

1. Gen 3
  2. Gen 4
  3. Gen 1
  4. Gen 2
  5. Gen 5
  6. Gen 6
  7. Gen 7

1. Sinnoh
  2. Johto
  3. Kalos
  4. Hoenn
  5. Tie between Kanto and Unova
  6. Alola
  7. Orre (XD)

i'll fill this out later... maybe idk

1. Team Flare
  2. Team Galactic
  3. Team Plasma
  4. Team Aqua/Magma
  5. Team Rocket
  6. Team Skull
  7. Team Cipher/Team Snagem (XD)
  8. Aether Foundation

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Deep down i'll always be an evil gen-wunner, with a strong affinity for gen 2. I can always start a run of Red/Blue/Yellow while chillin with the Indigo League box set, and challenging the Gym Leader Castles in Pokemon Stadium. Also, those gorgeous watercolored promo arts...

I liked Gen 5 a lot though, Pokemon got pretty stale for me with gen 3 and 4, but gen 5 was actually good as a story driven RPG, where the other games kept failing to grip me or make me care about any of the characters. It also helps that the entire pokedex was new, and the same number of new pokemon as the original games.

I enjoyed Gen 6, but not for it's own merits, but because all of my friends got the game, even the ones who dropped pokemon years ago, and we all got heavily into battling each other and had a lot of discussion about the game.,, that and it had a crazy amount of variety on each route. I don't recall ever getting bored of what I was encountering in Kalos

Last edited:

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
Call me whatever you want but the first two gens will always be my favorites due to how fun the game was to me from childhood memories. Gen 3 is also somewhat memorable to me as well due to Emerald's Battle Frontier.

Dr. Wario

Smash Cadet
Generation 5 is the most complete feeling generation in terms of game design for me. It perfected the formula of the 2D/mock 3D generation before XY, which I tend to view as the weakest entries alongside DP. Ironically enough, Platinum is one of my favourite games despite how little regard I hold its predecessors in.

Tokyo Cloud

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1692-5700-5908
For me it's gen IV as it introduced my favorite cross generation evolutions, has my favorite region, and I also really like the PC designs and has a lot of my favorite Pokémon in general. Gen V is a very close second though due to the story and more Pokémon I like that are introduced in this gen.

Gen 4 games are my favorite. Pearl/Diamond/Platinum were really good and Heart Gold/Soul Silver are my favorite Pokemon games ever. In terms of the Pokemon themselves, not to be a Genwunner but I just hold the most emotional attachment to Gen 1 Pokemon. They've been around the longest and my first experiences ever with Pokemon involved them. I've yet to feel the same way with another Gen. But for the sake of conversation I'll say my second favorite is probably Gen 7! A lot of people didn't like the Alola Pokemon but I was actually pretty fond of them. A couple of them even catapulted themselves into my top 10 favorite pokemon.

Top Bottom