• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Anime?

DreamCaster

BRoomer
BRoomer
Has anyone here ever heard or seen Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5yestem? It's a rather recent anime (Dec 2003), created by the joint effort of the musical group Daft Punk and Leiji Matsumoto (Arcadia, Star Blazers, Galaxy Express 999). It's a beutiful mix science-fiction, the decadent world of show-business, limousines and electric guitar shaped spaceships.

The entire movie is one big music video for Daft Punk's Discovery album wich is a Rock/Techno/Electronica fusion that just sounds groovy and really trippy. There is no dialoge (beyond the basic lyrics of the songs which are simple one liners like "one more time" and "into the air"), only the music and the animation and that is all, and together they weave a beautiful, sad, and upliftly story of an alien rock goup who is kidnapped from their home planet by an evil Record Label from Earth. Their memories are erased and their bodies and brains are sedated, and although their music becomes a hit on Earth (as the grop: The CrescenDolls), the alien's souless expressions hide their saddness. One die-hard fan from the alien group's home planet ventures across the galaxy risking everything to return the kidnapped group home. Yeah, I know that sounds really out there but the sorty is very sad and very moving.

How well Matsumoto is able to overcome the lack of dialogue is truly fascinating, as he instead relies on his ability to craft extremely nuanced body language for the characters. Countless moments find Matsumoto exhibiting levels of artistic consideration on par with some of his best work. Moreover, his delicate use of humor keeps the film from a tempting degree of melodrama that Matsumoto knows when to restrain and when to let loose. Put simply, Interstella 5555 is both fine anime and the ultimate context for its more-than-soundtrack Discovery. Taken as a whole, it's the fantastic culmination of years of artistic dedication.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
wow, never knew there was a whole series for it... all i've seen is the "one more time" video. is this out, like, in suncoast or what? i'll put on the ole eyepatch later tonight to see if i can dig it up off teh intarweb and check it out.

DreamCaster

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by CORY
wow, never knew there was a whole series for it... all i've seen is the "one more time" video. is this out, like, in suncoast or what? i'll put on the ole eyepatch later tonight to see if i can dig it up off teh intarweb and check it out.
Well, it's not really a series, it's a full lengh movie (65 minutes) of all 14 tracks of Daft Punk's Discovery album (no dialoge, only the music playing the entire time, but the animation and music speak more than words could). I know that MTV has shown "One More Time" (and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger") because these tracks are not only the most kick arse scenes in the movie (IMO) but they work best on their own ("One More Time" is the opening sequence and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" is the sequence when the alien group are stripped of their alien attire, their skin dyed in fleshtones, refitted in snazzy Earth duds, and their memories erased, very werid and cool). Sorry, I don't know any (non-online) stores that would sell this on DVD (it has been released in the US thou, you can find it at Amazon.com here). I actually saw this at my college's Anime Club (and it was the US version, but I dunno where they bought it from :()...

Stopsign

Smash Ace
Full Metal Alchemist, Love Hina, and Hiabanai Renemi (Bad spelling) have been using up most of my time lately.

Magic Jesus

Smash Ace
Actually, correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't "chinamen" a racist term for all Asians?

Wow, Roboto will be pissed when he sees this.

EDIT: Staying on topic, we don't get much anime up here in Norway, but I did download an episode of Love Hina and thought it was pretty good.

James macloud

Smash Journeyman
my personal favs are GITS (Ghost in the shell) the serise and the films are great and is it just me or is i, robot really simaler. i liked the streat fighter movies and the teken ones pretty good to. also macross plus is really cool (ep that is) i was put off by macross 7 but still got hold of macross zero which is way cool. somewhere in my vid collection from years ago i got the original robotec film i think that what started me off now i just love thoughs planes (even got robotec battle cry for GC).

EDIT:- man can't beleive i missed out blood the last vampire for a shot film i don't think theres anything better (only 40 mins long yet it bulid up the charecters well) also noir and serial experiment lain are good.

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
Well I've recently been watching this one called green green and its good so far.
Also Elfen Lied is one of my favorites now as well as Furi Curi (FLCL). If anyone WOULD like to see Elfen LIed or FLCL, add my AIM screen name Ness Agent. I leave my comp on for hours... so meh. Right click my name and go to get file. I have Elfen Lied and FLCL in there. I recommend them both and its a good chance to get anime if you dont use Bit Torrent. Also I'm being really kind ^_^. (only dl if you have cable or dsl... please... 56k downloads are like 2kb/s)

The full season of FLCL is in there if you dont have all the episodes, and Elfen Lied is in there up to 9. Elfen Lied will come out soon enough with the 10th episode. Cant wait to see what she does next.

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Yeah I was watching Elfen Lied recently (finally caught up, saw subbed ep. 9 and RAW ep 10). So far I really like how it is going, the plot has really gotten quite good and character development has been great. But only 3 more episodes and the series is over? Weird because the manga goes on QUITE a bit further, I hope there is a season 2! Also if somebody wanted to download Elfen Lied, I have a link for a site that has http downloads, so it would be quite fast and not waste bandwith for other people. You must have a download manager if you wish to keep it on your hard drive though (I suggest). The site only has up until episode 7, but the other 2 episodes should not be too you are on your own. PM me for the site if interested!

Edit: Also I have been watching DearS and Monster. DearS I find is a pretty good anime that has its moments, but overall I find it tolerable. I would somewhat suggest it, but I cannot find too many good things to say about it.

Monster is an odd series, I still need to catch up though. I have seen 3 out of so far 24 (I believe) subbed episodes. The plot is a bit weird, but so far I like where it is going. For people who like action, this is definately not for you, many parts I found were boring although had meaning to them.

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
New episode of Lien is out and about to watch it. Anyone that has seen it... I'd like to ask for an opinion of how it might end. As for me, I think that Lucy will ask Kuota to kill her as in the promise... or lucy will kill everyone... or just herself. As for some of the other ones... they say its a disease... so with 4 episodes left, maybe some contaminations happen.

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
>.......... >_<

I didnt know there was an episode 11... i thought it was up to ten... fudge... cicles... thanks for telling me... i gotta go bother my friend now.

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Well episode 11 is released RAW right now, but if you are a fan like me, you would watch it anyway. I would expect ep.11 to be translated by lets say, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
That sounds more fanatic than anything. I wouldn't be able to stand the fact that I saw the action but didn't understand. Just as well I'm only able to watch stuff when I'm free... and thats the weekend. So next week on thursday and up I'm able to watch what I can get my hands on.

EDIT : HOLY ****... My theory has just changed... I'm guessing the 26 vectored freak is gonna escape... omfg that was so kool. How is it possible to sum this show up in 3 more episodes... :(

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
I'm in Fullmetal Alchemist withdrawal.

So in search of a replacement, I've borrowed Kenshin from a kid in my dorm, and I'm going to watch that through the 2nd season, cuz I heard the 3rd season sucks. My question is, where do the movies fit in with the series? I want to watch those as soon as I can without being confused/spoiled.

dmac

Smash Champion
my favorite anime is ... Hajime no Ippo. Its about boxing.... and it rules.

full metal alchemist(weird ending, waiting of the movie next year :), samurai champloo, azumanga daioh, midori no hibi, kenshin, berserk!!(the manga is so awesome, read the manga if you haven't already, goes a lot farther in the story than the anime), cowboy bebop, fruits basket, last exile, naruto(the anime is kinda lame... rock lee is the coolest character to have ever exist, ever. read the manga XD) love hina, FLCL, grave of the fireflies, trigun, chobits, X, one piece, hxh, card captor sakura, monster, GTO, Hikaru No Go, full metal panic? fumoffu, and more i can't name off the top o my head

bahamut, after you watch kenshin up to the end of the kyoto arc, just get a hold of the manga.

bleach, my favorite manga, just started airing an anime, i hope its as cool as the manga is :)

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
The first four episodes for the Kenshin OAV take place before the series when he became the Batousai. The last two are set after the series. There's also a movie out that's somewhere in the middle, but it doesn't really matter since it pretty much sucked ***. Stick with the series and the much better OAVs. Oh, and don't get confused with the Director's cut. That's not the sucky movie. It's just a compilation of the first four OAV episodes. That's the one you probably want to watch now.

What's up with the Furi Kuri thing? Wasn't it meant to be Fooly Cooly? It's one of my favorite series, but I don't understand why everyone calls it Furi Kuri.

I'm on the fifth disc of GTO, and it's really kicking ***. Definitely a must.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
furi kuri is the japanese spelling pronunciation. that, and it's shorter than fooly cooly...

dmac

Smash Champion
the GTO anime series doesn't go very far in the story, get a hold of the manga :)

hajime no ippo.!!!!!!!!

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Good things to say about DearS? Well, it's like if somebody was watching Chobits and thought, "What if they made something like this, only, you know, better, with like better jokes and a better storyline and stuff like that?" Then they made an anime.

Also Kiddy Grade. Because it's good.

Yavarice

Dreadnought
BRoomer
I've been hearing good stuff about Bleach. Anime just started this week but the first 2 manga volumes was intersting. Think a Samurai Ghostbuster.

GOTS

Smash Apprentice
I really Like Evangelion, Hajime no Ippo, Samurai Deeper kyo, and Naruto.

ZodaLover

Smash Cadet
My favourite anime has to be Iria:Zeram the Animation.
The movies rock too.
If u haven't seen them, you're really missing out on some great hard-core anime.
The movies are not so common, but you can find the Iria set of anime for like $40 at specialty anime stores such as Suncoast,
and Blockbuster carries the episodes sometimes.
Good luck in finding it.
:)

dmac

Smash Champion
GOTS is a man of extremely good taste. dempsey roll~~

I just watched the first ep of Elfen lied, for some reason, the violence really turned me off... heh. maybe i'll get the whole series once its in a huge pack, but i wait for the final word on it.

Bleach is awesome allt he way through, but it really really really made itself one of my favorite mangas when it hit the current story arc. its so addictive.

I can't wait till the FMA movie!!!!!!!!!!!!

hrmmm i'll check out DearS. i really liked chobits :)

Yavarice

Dreadnought
BRoomer
Wait let me get this straight... I don't get to know the ending to FMA for a year? (I'm only up to ep 47 right now)

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
FMA finishes at 51 so your fine. The movie is announced and really left everyone thinking that there is more plot. The movie is to take place in the future.

Also new anime this fall, what out for them
here

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
Could someone give me a hand with BitTorrent? I tried playing some Naruto on Mindows Media player, and all I get is the ambience screen with the sound. It doesn't show the actual picture, just the sound. What's going on?

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
You probably need the divx plugin so you can view the visuals.

You can get a free download at www.divx.com After downloading and installing you should be able to watch naruto find one your windows media player :3

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
DearS and Bravo Girls ended... and I was really dissapointed that the ending wasn't even great. There better be a second season for DearS as for that girl opened her eyes. As for Bravo Girls... meh, a friggen ping pong match is how they ended it... not kool.

Hopefully the new season of anime will keep me entertained now.

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
I saw the ending for DearS and I thought the same. It was weird that they only introduced that "leader" in the last episode. Also I think we could have all guessed what would have happened anyway. Overall I did not really like to series, a bit weird on the ecchi scale too.
I have heard of Bravo Girls, and how was that series?

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
Bravo Girls... just like DearS... kind of dissapointing. It ended... but not good. DearS didn't really have much conflict till the last episode. I can't say i didnt like DearS, because I did enjoy it. But when analyzed... it didn't turn out like i hoped it would. Bravo Girls though... was a huge dissapointment. It was enjoyable and funny... but no real plot. So meh. I await the next episode of elfen lied... un raw that is. Bravo Girls can be worth your time if you want something to enjoy... thats it really. Short 10 episodes. Both were OKAY... but the ending... meh

dmac

Smash Champion
I started DearS, only watched it for a couple of minutes before i got sleepy, i'll give it another shot later. I liked that the main characters seiyuu is also seiji sawamura from midori no hibi ^_^

New animes worth watching this season

bleach
beck

what else is starting up this season?

i know yakitate japan!! aired after bleach in japan, but i haven't seen it subbed yet -_-

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
I got all my info here for the new season of anime this fall.

My list would not be complete as of what to see, but Bleach and Mai-HiME are up there. I was watching a few others which I did not like too much like Kakyuusei 2 and Kannazuki no Miko. Also, I guess Final Approach was okay, 12 mins long too.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
I was watching some elfien leid(SP?) in the anime club at my junior college, so im not sure if they were in order, but from what ive seen it looks really wierd.

first ep. I saw- some girl exploded some kids after they beat her dog to death with a flower vase.

2nd ep. I saw- the girl was at a zoo with some boy, they got naked in a pool of water. Then, he had to go to a festival, and his cousin was a girl, so the other girl killed everyone and cut off some chick's head with her inviso-arms.

3rd ep. I saw- the girl is naked and locked up to a wall while some scientists shoot cannons at her. she escapes and puts her seed in one of the scientist's head.the same girl fights some other girl with inviso-arms who is mean, but then turns stupid when some man with the same name as the little kid in the ep. above this one shows up. then everyone is happy. then in a dream she is crucified and got bigger boobs and some yen monsters are yelling at her.

I dont know if its horrific, romance, comedy, or lolicon. help me.

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Oh man ender, you saw the episodes from the middle of the series. The first one and second one you saw were quite recent. Third one seems out of place and I believe is took place before the ones prior. The series more like horror, action. I would not add too much romance and no comedy at all.

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
Actually, the third episode where they shoot cannons at here was still in order. Thats when they explain about how the guys wife died and why nana is his real child. Thats the episode they show Lucy infect him. As for the beggining of the series, the girl escapes killing alot of people. Then from there on is the story...

You should really torrent this anime ender, I got a few people into it actually when I let them DL the episodes from me through my aim.

As for episode 12... it was totally sick. I think this series is going to end really good and I wont be dissapointed like i was with DearS and Bravo Girls

Top Bottom