• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Anime?

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Punisher 2002, by the way it looks, those are dubbed anime right. I am pretty sure that the majority of anime fans like anime in its original language and subtitled. You should not watch network TV anime, and go and look on sites like animesuki to find out some good series to watch :) (My mistake if you seen those subbed and downloaded).

Donkey Dong: Eva was a pretty good series, but extremely confusing lol. It has a deeper meaning than many series now a days, and it really gets you emotionally attached to the characters. Although I would like to say that Rah-Xephon is on the same level with Evangelion (if not better, in my opinion), you should watch that series as well.

CORY, YES FMA fan!! I feel sad that the series is going to end soon, I can't see or bare it ending. FMA is just so exciting to watch, and I juz wait for each week juz for the next episode (I even have a calender to tick off when it should come out!) I also do that with Naruto.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
naruto killed itself to me a while back, i think a bit before the chuunin finals. it just got too much filler with too little pay off so i only watch it when kenshin comes over and d/l's it himself. i still think it has an AWESOME universe (i mean, ninjas? NINJAS!) and i love jitsus, ****, i still wear my forehead protector. it's just THAT cool!

but... fma... it's just THAT GOOD! unfortunately i've been out of anime for a while... just now starting to catch back up to all the fma i've missed (looking around boxtorrents and supernova right now -_-;;). i'll probably end up buying all the dvd's as they come out here licensed, i love the show that much, but i don't want to wait a whole freaking year for them to get around to releasing all of it...

DreamCaster

BRoomer
BRoomer
Has anyone here ever heard of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo?

This is one of those "so-bizzarly-random-but-so-funny" animes like Excel Saga or DiGi Charat, and IMO can hold it's own with the best of them. The main character is Bo-bobo (the dude with the yellow-fro), who fights the evil Magarita Empire: and evil orginaization whose goal is to make everyone on Earth bald! Bo-bobo's weapon? Using his special Fist of the Nose-Hair (yes, all of his attacks are nose hair based... and ocasionally armpit hair and afro based ;))!! Also fighting alongside Bo-bobo is his biggest fan Beauty (the girl with the pink hair), Don Pachi (the orange ball with spikes), the mysterious boy, Mysterious Boy (the kid with the white hair, yes his name is "Mysterious Boy"), and Tennosuke: the Magarita Empire's "A Block" Captian (the blue jello guy, name can be translated to "heaven, help us", and is weakness is when people talk to him, because voice vibrartions make him wiggle).

The series is just hilarious. There is one battle where Bo-bobo is fighting a Magarita Solider (Bo-bobo snuck into the Magarita "G" Base guised as a cart-vendor selling "Afros: get 'em while their hot!!") and prepares to attack with his nose hair (there is a tiny woman drying clothes on his nose hair like a clothes line). The solider is like "it's just nose hair" and rips from Bo-bobo's nose (the tiny woman yells "my laundry!")... and the nose hair is a winner (it has "2nd Place" written on the end)! The soidler gets to choose either a limited edition Bo-bobo plush doll or "Burning Passion of Bo-bobo" love sim video game. The soilder is just confused so Bo-bobo's next attack is one of his nose hairs goes up the soilder's nose. Then Bo-bobo's boogers (in ninja fashion) slide down Bo-bobo's nose hair to the solider's nose hair to attack. The solider is like "they're just boogers" and flicks them away! Bo-bobo goes into a rage from seeing his booger commrades perish! It's time for Bo-bobo's ultimate attack!... But wait... there is a little man who is closing the garage doors of Bo-bobo's nose, it's past 6pm "Bo-bobo's Nose" will open tommorw at 8am! The Magarita solider seizes this opportunint and makes his attack! The solider rips off Bo-bobo's afro (the source of his power!) and under neath... are two squirreles drinking tea... the girl squirrel, Risumi, looks troubled... the boy squirrel, Riso, askes "Risumi what is the matter"? Risumi replies with a sob "Riso, it's over between us," Riso's tea drops from his hands and spills from the table... TIME FOR BO-BOBO's FINAL MOVIE! Fist of the Armpit hair! The Magarita soilder is knocked out cold! Bo-bobo walks away into the sunset... but Mr. Pickle, you can't go along (Mr. Pickle, a small pickle slice is sad).

It's so random and very hilarious. You can download the first five episodes from Animesuki.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i've heard of it, but i was never bored enough to actually d/l any of them and watch it...

Moonchild

Smash Cadet
anime

So much anime so little time. Ive heard much good about naruto, but ive never seen it. My favorite animes are...

1. Fooly Cooly (FLCL) - for its uniqueness and awsome music. only 7 episodes long so its a short watch
2. InuYasha - just cool, lotsa action, in progress of watching
3. Sailor moon - not only are the girls hot, but they kill things and cuss, whats better?
4. Trigun - Awsome amounts of action and a great ending. a must see
5. Cowboy Bebop - its pretty good, also much action but a crappy ending
6. DBZ - the other two series arnt as good, an old classic if you ask me

Theres prolly others but i cant think of them right now SO BACK OFF. ;)

Edited for horrible spelling errors

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
Anyone watch elvin lied? My god its bloody and gory. I'm gonna get to watching some more... but jeez, any comments?

Ranmachan

Smash Rookie
hmm...Dragonball GT was just horrible

I like
Vandread
Kenshin
Ranma 1/2
Inuyasha
Trigun (japanese version only they murdered it in English)

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Dark Bulb 4.1, I have heard of Elfen Lied and my friends have described to me (in detail) how it is like. It is like the very few animes that actually come with a warning to what you are going to witness. Anime sure is slowly changing this year, Gantz and now Elfen Lied. I also hear that people are interested in Elfen Lied because although it is confusing now, they are waiting until a climax? True?
Oh for all that is interested, Elfen Lied= nudity and bloody graphic violence while Gantz has nudity and graphic violence.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
personally, i like english dub trigun better, but i think it's mostly that that's what i heard first. and, honesty, trigun is one of the few animes out there that isn't HORRIBLE with its english dub (although i've heard that legato isn't nearly as cool in english as he is in japanese... i'll have to d/l some random ep in original language to check it out, though...)

but, in case you didn't know, generally, the english dubs SUCK. horribly. like, they'll make your head hurt if you've even heard the japanese dub once. alot of people take that as a round about rule, which is fairly safe, but there are always a few exceptions : p

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I only like Raxephon because it has a definite ending unlike eva. Bebop is my favorite episode-to-episode anime.

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
I agree with dark_dragon8. Rahxephon just wipes the floor with Eva. They are only little similar, though, so it may not be right to compare them... But who cares. Ayato Kamina isn't nearly as much of a pus$y as Shinji, and there is barely any of the angst that was so overplayed in Eva. It's also alot more mature. So far I've only seen two discs, but It still kicks ***. I'm already hooked on the opening theme song (by Yokko Kanno). Give this one a shot, definitely. You'll ****ing love it.

Trigun had a very good dub (Red power ranger Vash, hehe). It's right up there with Bebop and FLCL.

Actually, I think that dubs can be a **** of a lot better than the subs (with certain exceptions). It seems a little more natural to me to have caucasian-looking characters (which is about every single anime character) speaking english rather than an Asian language. It also helps to be able to pay attention to whats on screen instead of having to read the subs. The Japanese voices may have been the creator's origonal intention but so is not having to read subs. ****, most dubs that I have seen are actually very good. Aside from those already mentioned, Rahxephon, Full Metal Panic, Yu Yu Hakusho, RK, Outlaw Star, Haibane Renmei, Mahoromatic, and even Eva. Just about the only titles I've watched Subbed were Berserk and Record of Loddoss War (which was really good).

Also, I just wan't to say that Berserk has one of the best Japanese vocal tracks ever. The characters fit perfectly with each of the voice actors. The only redeeming factor about the dub is the extra outtakes reels in each of the dvds. Those are so ****ing hilarious they should never be missed by any fan.

BladeMarth

Smash Ace
Well, my favourite anime is Great TEacher Onizuka... i just started watching it this week on DVD, and now thanks to my friend, im addicted to it!!

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
The japanese voices for Love Hina are about twenty times better than the english. The best dubbing fit I've seen so far is between Mononoke Hime and Bebop.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
gto! that's so good! i haven't seen much of it, but that doesn't matter, what i have has convinced me that i'll get it when i can!

as per dubs: most dubs are HORRID. just plain and simple. eva's HORRID. witch hunter robin's HORRID (so's the dubbing : p). boogiepop's HORRID. i know there are more, but those are the first ones that come to mind since i actually have several discs (or boxsets) of those.

there are exceptions, of course. bebop has a great great dub. so does trigun (but i'm biased because i love vash's dub). big o has a nice dub. etc... etc...

but, overall, english dubs just don't match up well, especially if you've seen the original japanese once or twice. the english directors' ideas for the shows just don't match up sometimes, especially when they try to go in different directions...

and, ****, i rambled alot, i hope some of that was coherent.

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
CORY, once again that is completely true, MANY anime fans prefer subs to dubs. It is an on going battle, but after watching many anime series, people realize that subs are just better and they don't even listen to dubs at all. For example, at this Anime convention I went to in the summer (Anime Evolution, at the Simon Fraser University campus, 3 day event), they have screenings of anime from their DVDs. We were watchin Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex, and it was playing in english, THE CROWD BOO-ED FOR SOOO LONG, until this guy went and changed the audio and added subs. People were actually cheering lol. Myself I love the original voices, and the original plot intentions, by that I mean dubs they change things here and there. Maybe add jokes or change something to make it more viewer friendly. But yes there are the exceptions, Bebop was good, I still like the japanese version better though (sorry, my own opinion).

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
Mr.Saxaphone, I think that saying RahXephon is better becuase the characters are less wimpy doesn't really mean anything. Shinji needed to be a pain in the ***, that was his character, that is how he fit into the whole plot. If he wasn't, it wouldn't make sense, just like if Ayato was pathertic and didn't handle the new reality. The stories are told the way they should be, but I also have only seen the first two DVDs...

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
Shinji being a ***** wasn't my only complaint. The angst in that anime was so ****ing overplayed that it became a pain in the *** to watch the thing. Just about every character had some ****ed up **** done to them in the past. Add to that how screwed things get in the last 6 episodes and the movie. I can't see how any enjoyment could come out of it when you see what happens to the characters and how seriously ****ed up Shinji and his father are. They should have just stoped after the first 20 episodes and given at least one person a decent outcome. Having 26 episodes was apparently a problem for GAINAX due to the crappy animation displayed in the last two episodes. I only hope that Rahxephon plays it strait and reseolves itself better than Eva. I can already say that it's a **** of a lot more confusing as well, and I don't know if that's good or bad.

Now back to dubs. I do agree that most companies will **** up and completely alter their dubs. But that's only certain ones. Companies like ADV and Gonzo are staying very true to the original language. Changes are mostly made due to the timing of the lip-flaps. Have you ever seen Excel Saga? I'd go as far as saying the the dub actually is equal - if not - superior to the sub. The voices fit very well and it seems to actually be funnier for an English audience.

I'd also like to add that there is new trailer for the up-coming Berserk PS2 game on Game Trailers that has me very excited. If you are at all a fan of Berserk then hurry your *** up and see it. It kicks major hiney.

BeatofAngel

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by dark_dragon8
For example, at this Anime convention I went to in the summer (Anime Evolution, at the Simon Fraser University campus, 3 day event), they have screenings of anime from their DVDs. We were watchin Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex, and it was playing in english, THE CROWD BOO-ED FOR SOOO LONG, until this guy went and changed the audio and added subs.
Hey I went there too ^^; They changed Ghost in the Shell to japanese voices later!!! Aghh! I think that was the one I left cause I really didnt want to watch it dubbed...ugh I hate dubs in most cases. There are a couple of good ones, but I'd just stick with subbed anime.

Yes, Shinji has a ****ing problem...Oooh a Berserk game!!! Made by Sammy...hmm interesting.

Now with favourite anime...can't really pick so:

Rurouni Kenshin
Inuyasha (except for all those filler episodes)
Naruto (same)
Chobits
Love Hina

Berserk and Full Metal Alchemist are definitely up there. I still have to watch more Fruits Basket and Initial D before I decide, but they both started off pretty well. I still have yet to watch Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and Rahxephon, but those are certainly on my list of what I want to watch.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Maybe it was gritty and maybe it was angstful, but that's the point. It was Hideaki Anno's only way to heal himself of his depression. Everything about the characters in eva is a pure trait of humanity with shinji being the closest to home. I didn't watch eva for graphics and and a happy ending, I watched it and loved it for the insight on the nature of the human mind and reality itself. In some ways eva will always make more sense than any other series ever.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
omg, you HAVE to watch excel in english, otherwise you'll be pausing every other scene to read the three paragraphs she spouts off every five seconds...

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I've heard excel is like FLCL but longer and on more crack. Would you recommend I buy it? (only $30 for the whole series) Or Serial Experiments Lain ($20).

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i'd go with lain, but that's only because i like the way lain ***** my brain. excel is like flcl, but it has NO point. flcl can at least say it has some underlying symbolism and meanings and whatnot, excel is just pure, unadulterated wtfcraziness. if that's your thang, go for it : p

"POOP"

Smash Cadet
id proboly have to say that my favorie anime is Inuyasha!
i always did like stuff about swords and demons and stuff ,also kagome is not hard to look at either:chuckle:.

Peaches

Smash Lord
I'd go with FLCL personally, but that's just because you don't always have to take it seriously. But then again, I can't stand some of the scenes in the 4th and 5th episode. Oh well, cna't go wrong with Lain, especially if you like 'tech' stuff. It's like the Matrix only not sucky (sorry, bad example).

About Excel Saga, I found it losing it's flair after about the 2nd disc. It jsut felt like it was trying way too hard sometimes; in addition I didn't get a few of the references. Not to mention it spawned Puni Puni Poemi. Now if you want hard to read sub, there it is. It was funny and all, but way too extreme; let's just say that if you ever find yourself a little bothered by sexual humor then don't even think about watching this show. But hey, if you liked Excel, odds are that you'll like PPP too.
If I were to recommend a comedy it would be Azumanga Daioh, very exellent show that doesn't rely on WTF factor.

Oh, and watch Cowboy Bebop. It may seem to lack plot but the character development is superb (along with plenty of wit and action; and the walking fan service known as Faye).

CORY

wut
BRoomer
cowboy bebop is teh pwnz0t, that's all there is to it. the only complaint i've EVER heard from people is that it's too episodic, but that's the beauty of the whole series, each episode is pretty much its own freestanding story that can be taken independently of all the others, but it still works towards building up to the final scenes. not to mention it has one of the BEST endings i've ever seen. EVAR. if you can get bebop for a good price (****, even if it's a horrid price, if it won't make you broke, get it!), i'd recommend bebop above most everything else.

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like a bootleg. I'll ask nicely that you pass up the cheap price and go for the more realistic official one, but I can't force you. I've always had a thing for supporting the real companies and not those knock-off selling *******s.

Hey "POOP", you ought to give Berserk a try. It's more swords and demons than you could ever handle.

Excel is like FLCL without the sympolism and on every single drug you can thing of. I'd say get Excel because of its huge "re-play" value. Show it to your friends, family, teachers, and impressionable little sister - they'll all get a kick out of it. It does slow down a bit in the middle, but the last episode wil blow you away.... until you see Puni Puni Poemy, that is. As for Lain, you probably won't completely understand it until after a considerable amout of viewings (if at all). I thought it was good, but I don't think I'd be able to watch it again. Even if it does mean understanding it a bit better. None of those are better than FLCL, though. FLCL rocks hard. It's totally worth getting the DVDs just to watch again and again followed by another viewing with the commentary turned on to point out all the little things you missed before. I think all anime should have commentaries. That was the best part of The End of Eva. I liked the commentary better than the actual movie.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
not necessarily, i bought the box set of boogiepop phantom for 60 bucks at an anime convention. if you can find the right booth on the last day when they're trying to drop off all their stocks you can sometimes work deals out.

however, if they have the entire series on two discs, yeah, bootleg.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
I got the whole cowboy bebop on two discs for $5, but that was burned off a tivo/DVDR by simna.

I think eva is especially good the more you understand the symbolism. Watching End of Eva with the commentary is a must, and I bought some anime insider thing for like $5 with like 5 pages about the psycology of it, which was cool becuase at that time we were basically studying the same thing in my psychology class.

I also like Lain. Any anime that makes you question reality or the likes is pretty good already i think.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
yeah, that's why i liked lain, it went beyond a simple mind trip into the realms of brain rapage. i made the mistake one day of watching three episodes before i went into work. i was a cashier at the time. those beeps were wierding me out for an hour after i started because of lain. ... no point to that little story, just that i like the way lain abused my head.

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
LOL! That reminds me of the time when I finished watching the Rurouni Kenshin OVA's and I had a swordsman dream which was really odd. Anime does mess a lot with my head too, especially the emotional ones, I can't ever get over some moments.

Shadowfury

Smash Rookie
can't decide on ONE favorite anime... ones i like the most
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Naruto
Chobits
Love Hina
Inuyasha
Case Closed

Falco Illusion

Smash Cadet
Recently Adult Swim has been showing some good anime that have caught my attention. The one that has caught it the most is Wolf's Rein. It has one of the best plots I have seen (In an Anime). I also like Case Closed,Naruto,Yu Yu Hakusho, and Heat Guy J. :)

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
Elfen lied is now among my favorites. I've also started watching Full Metal Alchemist. I'm about to watch later on Da Capo. Has anyone heard of 2x2 = Shinobuden? I can't stand it really. Also, Furi Curi I will start watching tomorrow.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
good job on fma! it is teh r0x0rz.

flcl is also quite teh r0x0rz, but in a different way.

i've heard of da capo, but i've never watched it. it's supposed to be a shojo-esque romance/drama deal, not really up my alley... and a friend showed me the intro for 2x2 and asked me what i thought and i just thought, "..." it was wierd, didn't look my taste, but he said he liked it. different folks, different strokes and all that jazz.

Top Bottom