• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Favorite Anime?

Vinnie275

Smash Master
Xdadepsak's Closet, along with Ender, Mkiller, and
The gaara/lee fight was good, yes.

I didn't hate the cgi in it, but I don't think it added to much either, a panning transition only looks good if it's smooth. You have to admit that it's hard to do, but lee's cell isn't very smooth during the panning.

Highlight of naruto is probably the fighting animation mechanics probably. Seems a bit unique, although as usual it borrows from some old school stuff, which of course is a plus (old school stuff that is ^_^ )

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
Also, another Anime came up at my friends house... it was a little slow I'll admit. I can't remember the name in Japanese but in english its "A beautiful ugly world" or something like that. 2 guys in the woods, one finds the girl hes always wanted and fights some really disgusting thing around the end. Then you find out in the end of the episode that girl is evil. THe other guy later finds another girl... i havent seen the rest, im guessing the other girl is good. I also saw a huge fish fight with that evil girl getting caught by the fish and then they make out in the air... i thought it was lame... cept the action except... there was hardly none to begin with. He says something awesome happens in the 10th episode.

Also, the Full Metal Panic Fumo? Thing, my favorite episode had to be the one with the cakes. He just kept putting traps in there. That made me cry. Another favorite was one with the girls in the hot springs. Those guys were openly perverted, and they were determined to see those girls naked. THey plan everything right in the end except where the girls spring would be, and the guy with glasses gets a face full of *****. Actually... all of em were really funny...

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
You guys REALLY ought to give Berserk a shot. It has one the most deep stories I've ever seen. The characterization is also one of the best out there. Even though the ending doesn't fully flesh anything out, it is still continued in the manga.

Haibane Ranmai isn't half bad. Very whymsical and light-hearted.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Record of Loddoss War. It's a classic RPGish anime. If you're into RPGs or even Lord of the Rings you should check it out.

Full Metal Panic was really good also. I haven't seen the second season (which I hear is less story-driven and more comic), but the first season is great. Great pacing, drama, action, and humor.

FLCL, Bebop, and Trigun are definitely superb and way up there, but those have already been mentioned. Eva, on the otherhand, is far over-rated. It started out nice, but later it gets way too heavy-handed with bull****. Dual! is more my cup of tea. :p

Vinnie275

Smash Master
Originally posted by Mr. Saxophone
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Record of Loddoss War. It's a classic RPGish anime. If you're into RPGs or even Lord of the Rings you should check it out.

LOVE!!! I love the intro song. The character interaction. The thrills. The dragons.

I watch a lot of shounen, of course, cuz I'm a guy. But I also watch shoujo because IT'S FUNNIER. You guys watch girly shows?

Corin

Smash Lord
My favourite anime? has *anyone* else here heard of Slayers? I've seen 5 of the movies, and three episodes, I love the ending music on all of the movies, and just when you think it's about to get serious, everything goes nuts. I love this anime just because it's all over the place. They actually parodied Alice in Wonderland for one of the episodes (one of the three I saw)

Anyways, other than Slayers, I'd say Hellsing, Naruto, Yami no Matsuei (descendants of darkness, for those of you who don't know the japanese name), Gravitation looks pretty good, too, but I haven't been able to see any episodes. Hmmm... there's gotta be more than that... oh well, I'll update the list later, lol.

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
I forgot to mention Escaflowne. That's another great series that no one here seems to care about. I've only seen the first four dvds, but it is still pretty awessome. Check it out if your into Fantasy type anime. Just stay away from the movie. It sucked. Alot.

I've also been getting into Mahoromatic lately. I know it sounds like another one of those otaku fan-service anime/border-hentai, but it's really quite good and very funny. I'll admit there is a ton of fan-service (mostly in the first dvd), but it's still worthwhile.

On a side note: Excel Saga pwns joo!!1

bodyguard380

Smash Journeyman
some of my favs are

GTO(Great Teacher Onizuka)
FLCL
Vandread
Street Fighter2V
.hack
Ruroni Kenshin
ZOIDS(except fuzors)
Ronin Warriors
Megaman NT Warrior(without the editing of kids WB)
wolf's rain and detective conan are getting close to my favorites. i havent seen them outside of adult swim yet but ill try and get them.

dragon3003

Smash Cadet
favorite hmmmm i dont really have a favorite i'll just name some i like

guyver
outlaw star
.hack
macross
Bebop
trigun
slayers (i've only seen 2 episodes)
Edit: wolfs rain

Recently I picked up a few more Anime DVDs.

Ghost in the Shell - FANTASTIC, if a bit short. Can't Wait for the TV series DVDs and the Release of GitS2 the fall.

Macross Plus - Pretty solid, I'm a Macross fan as it is (have you guys seen the Macross Zero fandubs? MY GOD! AMAZING!) Great movie.

R.O.D The TV Vol.1 - I loved the original R.O.D OVA and I watch these epiodes as Fansubs a few months ago, still the greatest TV series I've seen in a long time. Can't Wait for volume 2

EDIT: Hmmm...I could have swore I put my 2 cents into this thread before. Guess Not so I'll post a top 5 list for Movies/OVAs and TV series

Favorite Anime Movies
1. Ghost in the Shell
2. Read or Die OVA
3. Akira
4. Macross Zero OVA
5. Macross Plus

Favorite Anime TV Series
1. R.O.D The TV
2. Now and Then, Here and There
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Trigun
5. Full Metal Alchemist

BeatofAngel

Smash Apprentice
Favourite anime...hmmm
Rurouni Kenshin, EVA, Princess Mononoke

RK was my first anime...besides all that stuff like Pokemon which I watched as a kid. I was hooked right away! The storyline was exciting and interesting. It kept me wanting to see more. Nice action scenes. Good character development, and excellent soundtrack. OAVs are excellent as well ^^

EVA had an interesting storyline which provoked a lot of thought. Lots of character development. A lil confusing, but I lived with it. I watched it all in like 2 days or something LOL

Princess Mononoke - Storyline!!! Very interesting! Characters. I realli enjoyed this movie.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I am as close as someone can come to hating anime without actually hating it. I like a rare few works:

1. Tokyo Godfathers
2.My Neighbor Totoro
3. Princess Mononoke
4. Grave of Fireflies

Yep, I don't like any series, just movies.

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
I've never been real fond of anime movies. They're usually just too short to allow sufficient character development, which is a must in anything worth while. I'd have to say the most notable movies I've seen would be:

-Ninja Scrolls
-Princess Mononoke
-Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (but they had a whole series to
develop the characters)

Ghost in the Shell was a little disapointing. It's been a while since I've seen it so I can't remember why. I hear Stand Alone Complex (the series) is actually pretty good, though. AS should be airing it soon. I'll wait 'till then assuming they don't edit the **** out of it.

Spirited Away was pretty good, but the ending dissapointed without enough development on the two main character's parts. It's also a little too whymsical for my tastes.

I haven't seen Tokyo Godfathers, yet. Something about seeing a drag-queen on the cover kind of turned me off. Is it any good?

Anyways, I'm looking for some more series to check out. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been renting all my anime through Netflix. They have quite a collection there. I just ordered the first season of Vandread, so I'm waiting for that. I recommend Netflix to all of you who have a **** computer and no money to actually buy anime. Netflix is a lot more forgiving on the wallet.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I ordered Tokyo Godfathers off of IControl without even knowing it was animated. The drag queen thing caught me off guard at first, but after a while I kept forgetting it was actually a guy. Also, I gotta say that it's the only animated film that I've gotten such an emotional satisfaction from, or any emotional ANYTHING from, outside of Grave of Firefliesm but it could be just me or something personal I can't figure out. In short, I'd really really recommend it.

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
Read or Die looked pretty interesting. I'll have to check it out later. Now and Then, Here and There has always been on my list of animes to see, but I just never bothered. It's more of a drama than anything isn't it?

Grave of the Fireflies was pretty dam depressing. It was a **** good movie, but I don't know if anyone could actually enjoy watching it. If Tokyo Godfathers is anything like it, I guess it deserves at least one viewing.

I just got done watching the final dvd of Hellsing. As a whole, it was a pretty ****ing good time. However, it could have been done a lot better. Style seemed to be the main thing going for it, so they should have had a much larger focus on it. Some of the episodes just kinda dragged. I'm also dissapointed that Paladin Anderson didn't get much screen time. I'd rather see Alucard fight him than that ***** Incognito. On a side note, the music kicked major ***. I'd deffinitely recommend this, if only for the coolness factor and the kickass music.

Read or Die looked pretty interesting. I'll have to check it out later. Now and Then, Here and There has always been on my list of animes to see, but I just never bothered. It's more of a drama than anything isn't it?
Now and Then is a drama (and Sci-Fi), is probibly more depressing then Grave of Fireflies.

Read or Die is a just a great Action show, with comedy and good plot twists.

Vinnie275

Smash Master
I never caught on with Hellsing. Sure I think it's cool, it's just not interesting to much to me.

Like it tries to be bebop with vamps, but then fails because it's just vamps without the bebop part.

The only interesting parts I find is whenever Alucard fights the priest. That priest is badass. Like almost Vash badass, but not even close.

Anybody love Vash? Maybe it's his peaceful nature.

bodyguard380

Smash Journeyman
knights of the zodiac was okay i guess. i seen a few eps then just stoped caring about it after the bad guy turned good and there was a new bad guy. ill never know what happened to all the fighters.

the priest and alucard fight was the best fight scene i seen in the series.

i still aint seen read or die. i really need to get on that netflix grind.

Kenshin Hayabusa

Smash Rookie
I started to see naruto and *points to sig* **** it's good. I also like Berserk (i can't believe they stopped at episode 25, actually 1 their making us read the manga), Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, (i have got to finish seeing it) GTO, (started seeing this too) Rurouni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, G Gundam, One Piece, (started to see this too) DB/DBZ, aaanndd Yu Yu Hakusho.

I'm at episode 102 and theirs only 112 episodes =( i thought their would be more (the subtitles suck).

So i really like naruto, Yu Yu, (again have to finish seeing inuyasha) and i'm not sure about rurouni kenshin it starts getting bad at 70 or 80+ episodes.

i'm new so if theres anything i'm doing wrong or could do better plz tell me, ty.

bodyguard380

Smash Journeyman
what eps were 70-80. i never know them by episode but what happened or sometimes the titles of the eps ring a bell. i liked the whole series.

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
Well it seems I have a few Animes I've watched recently.

Midori No Hibi - Some dude who has a girl for his right hand. I thought it was pretty good. I was dissapointed at the fact it only lasted 13 episodes though. They also ended it in a way that if they ever made a second season... Well if they did, I just wouldnt know what to expect.

Full Metal Panic Season 1 and FUmoffu (season 2) - This one hits my favorite spot. Its too funny. Especially the second season and the first seasons story is kick ***. Sagara Sousuke roxxors with Chidori ^_^

DearS - This one just came out in japan... I think. Anyway, from what I've been watching, it roxxors so far. Have to get some more episodes

This ugly beautiful world - (I hope I got the title right) Crazy alien ***** wanting to destroy earth. Yup... not one of my faovorites... its on the bottom of my list.

Mahoromatic season 1 + 2 - This makes it as second favorite with full metal panic. Girl androids rule.

Any tips though. If I had to choose from De Capo or Girls Bravo... which should I watch first?

BTZO

Smash Cadet
Would that be Knights of the Zodiac? If so, I thought that anime was terrible.
Exactly, that anime was horrible. As for my favorites I'd have to say Naruto, Hajime No Ippo(Fighting Spirit in America), Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun, Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Bebop, GTO(Great Teacher Onizuka), and Case Closed.

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
BitTorrent

Could someone give me some info about BitTorrent? I'm thinking about DLing it, but I want to know how safe it is. Isn't it a file-sharer? And are there a lot of viruses floating around that might attract themselves to my computer? I hear BitTorrent is one of the best ways to see anime, and I really want to see some Naruto.

Anyways, I just saw this new (in the U.S.) anime called Abenobashi. It's pretty much just Gainax's answer to Excel Saga. It's not nearly as funny, but it's still prety good. It tries hard to mix drama with comedy and parodies which doesn't work all the time. Still, there were a few episodes that were ****ing hilarious. Deffinitely worth seing.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
bittorrent's pretty safe. for it to work you have to click on the torrent link, which only starts a torrent search for that specific file. haven't had or heard of any problems with it. but, if you do get it, don't get the basic build, it's not that good, really limited options for set ups and stuff. look around bit more for the advanced builds (i've used shadow's build and had a friend who used the abc build, so both of those should be nice.)

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
I can't work the torrent for ****... lol. Anyways, I just saw Evangelion... my god, what a psychological ending. One of the best IMO but not my favorite... but it ranks up there.

CStick

Smash Lord
I'm a Kenshin Fan........especially the OVAs when he first became the Battoussai......

Season one was good, then with Saitoh and others in season two that was real good, and I have not seen all of season three.....I saw him vs. Shougo but no more after that......

YuYu Hakusho is good......it's better than DBZ.....and their attacks look alot cooler......

Has anyone ever heard of Vandread? I've been watchin' that lately and I think its not bad......it's weird but sorta funny......

Inuyasha is OK, I like the priest who's perverted......it's kinda a good laugh

DBGT isn't bad cuz it goes at a bit faster pace instead of taking 12 episodes to get to a point that there's another point to be revealed in the next 20 episodes......

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 was real good in my book.......check it out.....chicks fighting robots in lttle metal suits......

Gundam Wing was my fav of all the gundams....and the first zoids was good.....

What ever happened to Outlaw Star? That was also good....

I know that alot of these are on cartoon network, but oh well.....

oh, and fav movies: Cowboy Bebop and Macross Plus are great....

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
Well, I went to the main BitTorrent site and DLed the one they recommended. I just went to AnimeSuki and immediately started DLing the first episode (dvd version) of Naruto. It's supposedly going to take about 7 hours on my DSL connection. Does that sound right? How long does it usually take? It would also help if I could get a site that has a better version than the one I have.

And does any one know where I could find Torrents for FMA? I NEED to see that, but its been licensed so AnimeSuki won't show it. And really don't feel like waiting for it to come out on Adult Swim all butchered up. Thanks in advance.

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Mr. Saxophone, BitTorrent has a system of speed based on users, so if there weren't many seeds and peers that you connected to, that would most likely equal slow downloads (unless they have fast connections like T1). Since there is 97 other Naruto episodes, I would guess that Naruto 1 isn't too popular lol. There is also a factor of you having a router or not.

Yes animesuki.com does not allow licenced series on their site, but you would have to search around net. I would suggest going to downloadanime.org, or you can look for anime hubs on dc++ which are great if you know what you are doing.

Mr. Saxophone

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the help. I think I'll stay away from the hubs with DC++, since I have no ****ing clue what the **** I'm doing. I just want some more anime.

dark_dragon8

Smash Ace
Wow I just saw Ai Yori Aoshi and Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi (second season), all I can say is wow. It really is kinda hard to believe but hey, that's anime for you. It is a story on young adults who happen to reunite after 18 long years. I don't want to spoil anything but the story moves on from there (greatly), but I thought I would try to get a few people interested in this!

Another note, I saw Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien a little while ago as well, I was blown away. Now this is true anime, almost like real people in real life like situations, real everything. This drama genre really took me away, it is my first one. Some info is that it is a romance/drama, about a boy and a girl to start off with (typical eh?). I have to say that this couple is very much good to start off with BUT!! ... well not to spoil anything, but watch the anime to find out.

PM for more info (I will try not to spoil it, and sorry if I ruined anything in my post, if so could a mod please edit that out, thanks!) You can also research the anime at http://www.animenfo.com.

I would suggest animenfo because they have a great top 100 anime list, great forums, lots of info on anime and manga.

EDIT: I forgot to say this. Although I am a guy (16 year old), I almost cried at these, so watching these come with a tissue warning, but I really do recommend them highly.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
After watching evangelion, most anime feels slow and shallow. Believe it or not, there are no double meanings about the human soul in love hina.

Top Bottom