• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fate/Mafia 2: Nobu's Grand Mafia Adventure

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I'm still concerned about sending night PMs...am I just being anti-social for thinking that night pms do more harm than good for Town? Someone enlighten me about this since I pretty much was not at all involved in last game's night pm process nor did I get to see any of the conversations.

Hypothetically if I misread #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe and tell him I'm the cop, and Nabe is a strongman, he's going to pull me over and end my soul after having his way with me.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Natz? Really?

I mean, she was a good player in Villains Mafia, but like, town was at a previously unseen level of sucking in this game.

“Let’s make a triple tie... twice! Nothing can go wrong!”

Natz just ended up being less dumb than town, simple at that. She still did good, you’re just overestimating her ability to be a mastermind.

Plus, you did admit my plan in Mario Mafia was clever :V
Look, I'm just saying, nobody has impressed me as much as Natz has, and that's a fact.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I'm still concerned about sending night PMs...am I just being anti-social for thinking that night pms do more harm than good for Town? Someone enlighten me about this since I pretty much was not at all involved in last game's night pm process nor did I get to see any of the conversations.
ehh, it depends, really

a social butterfly like me? I will go walk UP to a mafia, tell them my role, and ask how to use it, who to target. (happened this past game with coricus lol)

But for someone who really analyzes intents/motivation/wording? I think it can reveal a lot. Like if you have a good ability, you're gonna use it on a prime target, but the person you're talking to tries to coax you out of it? The one-on-one messages can really tell you a lot about the other slot, along with allowing you to townread your friendly neighbors better as you learn tidbits of their own conversations during the night and possibly their own role.

i'll expand more on this and show you more examples (i'm sorry, I can't right now, I'm splatting it up! :'^)) but it's not as bad as it seems, I think.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

Hypothetically if I misread #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe and tell him I'm the cop, and Nabe is a strongman, he's going to pull me over and end my soul after having his way with me.
Yeah, so, like, don't do that, lol.

That's the fun part about the night game. You've got to figure out who to trust. Do it right, find the right people with the right skills and the right level of trust, and you can completely stop the mafia in their tracks. Do it wrong and show the mafia all your cards, and the game will end night two as the mafia pulls all the strings.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Yeah, so, like, don't do that, lol.

That's the fun part about the night game. You've got to figure out who to trust. Do it right, find the right people with the right skills and the right level of trust, and you can completely stop the mafia in their tracks. Do it wrong and show the mafia all your cards, and the game will end night two as the mafia pulls all the strings.
I mean, yes, I know that's the idea...ehhhh we'll see what happens.

I guess my point was that, in a hypothetical world, if I only told Nabe, and Nabe ends up killing me, then no one else would ever know that I told him, and then my death might come off as non-sensical to the Town. Trying to read into night action WIFOM becomes incredibly more difficult when you're not involved in all the conversations happening at once. So I guess the right thing to do is to tell someone else what I told Nabe? Eh I'll figure it out, maybe.

Tbh I'm still not a fan of night PMs after trying it out, but maybe more games are necessary
Let's threaten every player with a vig shot if they don't tell us their roles, then force a mass claim on D2, and then party afterwards. :awesome::awesome::awesome:

Last edited:

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Ngl I think the night PMs and Role Madness are a bad combination. I think they'd be more interesting in a more vanilla game where it adds a new dimension to scumhunting but in role madness it just seems to encourage solving the game through mechanics.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
And yeah what bardull was saying, in mario mafia I felt kinda locked out of that night action discussion because for most of the game there was no way I was going to claim jailer to anyone during the night, and you can only get so much information one-way.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I mean, yes, I know that's the idea...ehhhh we'll see what happens.

I guess my point was that, in a hypothetical world, if I only told Nabe, and Nabe ends up killing me, then no one else would ever know that I told him, and then my death might come off as non-sensical to the Town. Trying to read into night action WIFOM becomes incredibly more difficult when you're not involved in all the conversations happening at once. So I guess the right thing to do is to tell someone else what I told Nabe? Eh I'll figure it out, maybe.
That's part of the appeal, imo. The ability to act without everybody knowing. It's beneficial both ways. It can allow the mafia to kill someone with their motives being completely obscured, but it can also allow the town to hinder the mafia without the mafia having any idea who did it or why. It goes both ways, and I've now been mafia both in a game where the mafia completely dominated the night game, and a game where they were destroyed by their own hubris.

It doesn't just boil down to mechanics. Who each individual person chooses to trust and tell information to is key, and it's something that you can't do at all in a day-only setup where all conversation happens in front of everybody.

Maven89

Smash Master
It definitely changes the make up of the game, with night chat you can have plots forming behind the mafia's backs, as well as more chances for the mafia to gather information. I'm not sure if it makes the game more town sided or mafia sided, I'd lean town sided but with how many people roleclaim/share all the info they had (multiple people shared the role I had with others) the mafia can basically gather a list of roles far quicker than they could otherwise. If people were more close to the hand with the info they had/gathered, it'd be a strongly pro-town mechanic.

Another thing is that it completely changes the way the day phase works, I feel there's less information gathering going on during the day compared to at night, it seems more like people are coming into the day primarily just to vote and enact their schemes, while the real play happens in private PMs. One of the major ways people catch mafia is forcing them to give "read" lists and seeing them violate their claimed reads and being unable to justify it, something that I don't recall happening at all in the last game.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I think it's undeniable that what goes down in night PMs has everything to do with trust; a decision must be made as to whether or not you want to respond to a player and work with them. That said, there has to be a skill to it.

Either way I'm up for trying it it out. Additionally, I am interested in pushing it to the limit just to see if it can be abused to an abhorrent degree. For science, of course. Maybe I'll come up with something silly. :awesome::awesome:

It's times like this where I wish Xivii Xivii (Zen) were here, or other players in general that take pleasure in giving mechanics an authentic "stress test."

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
It definitely changes the make up of the game, with night chat you can have plots forming behind the mafia's backs, as well as more chances for the mafia to gather information. I'm not sure if it makes the game more town sided or mafia sided, I'd lean town sided but with how many people roleclaim/share all the info they had (multiple people shared the role I had with others) the mafia can basically gather a list of roles far quicker than they could otherwise. If people were more close to the hand with the info they had/gathered, it'd be a strongly pro-town mechanic.

Another thing is that it completely changes the way the day phase works, I feel there's less information gathering going on during the day compared to at night, it seems more like people are coming into the day primarily just to vote and enact their schemes, while the real play happens in private PMs. One of the major ways people catch mafia is forcing them to give "read" lists and seeing them violate their claimed reads and being unable to justify it, something that I don't recall happening at all in the last game.
People do have a tendency to overshare every detail they get from other people, which makes the mafia's job easier. Of course, I was encouraging it last game by telling people everything I was told, but then I was mafia, lol.

I'm not confident saying whether this set up is more beneficial to town or to mafia. On paper, it might seem like it's really easy to figure out who the mafia are because they'd always be the weak link in whatever plan they're a part of. But in practice, often a couple townies get together, form a plan and with no mafia input at all, they betray each other due to lack of trust, and basically give mafia a free day while the town fights among themselves.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Cool beans.

Won't have the spare time to play, but would like to spectate.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Praline wanted to be Astolfo last game but Golden ended up with it and the first thing he did on the Night PM was tease her about it.
Nah. Every game @GoldenYuiitusin and I are in. Whatever I want he gets. I wanted Tharja, he got her. I wanted Astolfo, he got him.

I’d like Astolfo but I don’t expect him in again. Astolfo is the only character I really know. I’m gonna laugh if I got whats her name again.

Natz~

Full of Hugs and Fire~
Nah. Every game @GoldenYuiitusin and I are in. Whatever I want he gets. I wanted Tharja, he got her. I wanted Astolfo, he got him.

I’d like Astolfo but I don’t expect him in again. Astolfo is the only character I really know. I’m gonna laugh if I got whats her name again.
sorry to burst your bubble praline but all roles are new
-All roles are new, meaning no roles from the past game are returning, including cut roles. This includes the following:
*Jeanne D'Arc(Ruler)
*Hassan of a Hundred Faces(Assassin)
*Nero Claudius(Saber)
*Gawain(Saber)
*Medea(Caster)
*Cu Chulainn(Lancer)
*Nameless(Archer)
*Florence Nightingale(Berserker)
*Astolfo(Rider)
*Medusa(Rider)
*Altera(Saber)
*Jeanne D'Arc Alter(Avenger)
*Archimedes(Caster)
*Jack the Ripper(Assassin)
*Mysterious Heroine X(Assassin)
*Gilgamesh(Archer)
i wasn't evne on smashboards when the first game roled around but all of these roles and characters will not be returning in game

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
sorry to burst your bubble praline but all roles are new

i wasn't evne on smashboards when the first game roled around but all of these roles and characters will not be returning in game
Spoilers!

Also I don’t really know many Fate characters outside of Astolfo. There’s one character I think if from Fate. She kinda looks like a Senran Kagura character.

Natz~

Full of Hugs and Fire~
Spoilers!

Also I don’t really know many Fate characters outside of Astolfo. There’s one character I think if from Fate. She kinda looks like a Senran Kagura character.
....praline it was on the front post of the thread, its not a spoiler just an open saying, its to let people be aware :V surprised you missed it

anyway i know garbage about fates, all i got is memes and tv tropes readings

shish says i'll be a-okay though

D

Deleted member

Astolfo can't be in again.
We're not doing repeats and Astolfo doesn't have any variants. :p

If you must know @GoldenYuiitusin I want Frankenstein.

I’ll kill you if you get her.
You probably jinxed it. :V

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom