• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fastest way to get Mii Hats

ShadowKingSonic

Smash Rookie
Still gonna work on Classic as Link and Ike for now. You guys seem to have better luck than I do with RNG. It's a little unfair.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I'm now left with the Cow Skull Hat, the Mario Hat, the Tiny Top Hat and the Chomp Hat. Any tips?

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I'm now left with the Cow Skull Hat, the Mario Hat, the Tiny Top Hat and the Chomp Hat. Any tips?
Got a Mini Top Hat from Classic 5.4 as Mii Brawler earlier, and lots of people got the Chomp Hat from Target Blast.
See, I did Target blast and ended up getting hats that I already had.

ShadowKingSonic

Smash Rookie
Well, plenty of people get hats they had already, but I got the Frog Hat and Red Shell hat fairly easily. The RNG seem to hate me regarding the Captain Falcon Helmet. Now, if the game chooses some hats to give for some untold prerequisites, maybe the last hat in general has a very special coding. Or some sequence of events you gotta do?

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I know your pain, ShadowKingSonic. I've been grinding Classic 9.0 with Mii Brawler for AGES now. Just for that Captain Falcon helmet. It's the one helmet I want. I don't care about the others or the challenge, I just want that helmet. And the game apparently refuses to give it to me :\

I guess I'll just vary my farming, then. Trophy Blast it is (I already do Smash Run, but just because I freaking love the mode, it's actually fun).

ShadowKingSonic

Smash Rookie
If you get it, tell me how. But how many hats do you have left?

Edit: From my data, the Helmet is a 9.0 hat. If anyone got it any other way, tell me. If not, what character, what path, what stage, who'd you fight, and what was the roulette entry? As much of this info as possible would be appreciated.

Last edited:

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Got Santa Hat with Donkey Kong in Trophy Rush (Thanks Shippunai).

One more (Panda Hat) to go

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
And just after that post I get the Panda Hat with DK too (figures, nothing for 2 weeks then both hats within an hour)

With that I'm 100% done, no hammers used:

ShadowKingSonic

Smash Rookie
And just after that post I get the Panda Hat with DK too (figures, nothing for 2 weeks then both hats within an hour)

Great job. *sigh* Is the helmet really that picky to get or do the RNGs hate me? 9.0. I get that much. But I'm lost past then. I've grinded during most of my free time and got NOTHING. Character, path, opponent, stage, roulette, path order. Or another mode? I legit have NO IDEA. Too many variables. I'm going nuts here, I need help badly!

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
I got it with Greninja, and as far as my testing goes, the only thing that matters is who you play as, game mode and difficulty don't matter at all.

The method I used is runs of 9.0 with the home button trick to get as many wrenches as possible and build up money, then use the money to play trophy rush when i get bored/frustrated.

Also, this is completely unfounded, but we know that the home button trick doesn't work on the WiiU version, and the 3DS version is getting an update sometime this month to have it match the WiiU (The WiiU version already has the update on disc). It's POSSIBLE the the home button trick could get patched out, since the WiiU version confirms that it's an unintentional exploit.

ShadowKingSonic

Smash Rookie
I got it with Greninja, and as far as my testing goes, the only thing that matters is who you play as, game mode and difficulty don't matter at all.

The method I used is runs of 9.0 with the home button trick to get as many wrenches as possible and build up money, then use the money to play trophy rush when i get bored/frustrated.

Also, this is completely unfounded, but we know that the home button trick doesn't work on the WiiU version, and the 3DS version is getting an update sometime this month to have it match the WiiU (The WiiU version already has the update on disc). It's POSSIBLE the the home button trick could get patched out, since the WiiU version confirms that it's an unintentional exploit.
Yeah well I've still had **** luck.

Anyone else, information? So far I've heard of Ike, Link, Greninja, and Villager. Fact is, I wanna know if path color matters?

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Home Button trick will get patched out?! Oh crap, I've got to speed up my gaming, then! I need that helmet, and without that trick I'm toast! D:

I like your idea about playing Trophy Rush when you've had enough, though.

ShadowKingSonic

Smash Rookie
LINK, CLASSIC 9.0, BLUE PATH, STAGE 4, VS WARIO! *like Captain Falcon* YES!... Alright wish me luck against the Core. I have too many items to risk offing myself. Once I beat him though, I'll be 100% done with the game!... Hey, off topic, and I don't care, but how many effects for equipment are there?

Edit: It's done... BURN IN THE FIREY PITS DOWN BELOW RNG!

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
How does it, er, not work?

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
You probably can't access the Home menu while on the roulette.

LINK, CLASSIC 9.0, BLUE PATH, STAGE 4, VS WARIO! *like Captain Falcon* YES!... Alright wish me luck against the Core. I have too many items to risk offing myself. Once I beat him though, I'll be 100% done with the game!... Hey, off topic, and I don't care, but how many effects for equipment are there?

Edit: It's done... BURN IN THE FIREY PITS DOWN BELOW RNG!
You lucky SOB, I want that helmet too and I'm so tired of all this... :(

I've been always taking the red paths, because they're supposed to be the harder ones... am I doing it wrong?

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
How does it, er, not work?
You can access the home menu while the roulette is spinning on the WiiU version, but upon closing the home menu the roulette spins for about one second before you can input any other commands (pressing A to stop it or pressing the home button again) and holding A coming out of the home menu does nothing, it just eats the input.

See this video at 46:15 for someone attempting it:

http://youtu.be/dGulnBaefAw?t=46m15s

That said, there is no proof that the next patch will remove this exploit from the 3DS version, just that this proves that the exploit is not intended to be there, and isn't coming back.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You can access the home menu while the roulette is spinning on the WiiU version, but upon closing the home menu the roulette spins for about one second before you can input any other commands (pressing A to stop it or pressing the home button again) and holding A coming out of the home menu does nothing, it just eats the input.

See this video at 46:15 for someone attempting it:

http://youtu.be/dGulnBaefAw?t=46m15s

That said, there is no proof that the next patch will remove this exploit from the 3DS version, just that this proves that the exploit is not intended to be there, and isn't coming back.
Hm, I believe that's just an aspect of the Wii U home menu vs the 3DS home menu.

Zteven

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zteven
3DS FC
5172-1365-2942
I feel like I'm missing one headgear but so far I have:

• 1-Up Mushroom Hat
  • Barbara the Bat Wig
  • Bear Hat
  • Beehive Wig
  • Captain Falcon Helmet
  • Cat Ears
  • Chef Hat
  • Chicken Hat
  • Chomp Hat
  • Cow Skull Hat
  • Cowboy Hat
  • Daisy's Crown
  • Devil Horns
  • Dog Ears
  • Dragon Helmet
  • Fancy Pirate Hat
  • Floral Hat
  • Football Helmet
  • Frog Hat
  • Hibiscus
  • Hockey Mask
  • Lacy Headband
  • Lion Hat
  • Luigi's Cap
  • Magic Hat
  • Mario's Cap
  • Master Gardener's Crown
  • Meta Knight Mask
  • Mii Force Helmet
  • Mini Top Hat
  • Ninja Headband
  • Panda Hat
  • Pirate Hat
  • Prince's Crown
  • Princess Zelda Wig
  • Princess's Crown
  • Red Ribbon
  • Red Shell Hat
  • Regal Crown
  • Samurai Helmet
  • Samus's Helmet
  • Santa Hat
  • Sheik Mask
  • Shy Guy Mask
  • Spartan Helmet
  • Spiny Hat
  • Straw Hat
  • Super Mushroom Hat
  • Swimming Cap
  • Top Hat
  • Waluigi's Cap
  • Western Hat
I need to know which headgear I'm missing so I can complete the challenge.

Good thing I didn't use my hammer as well, because I want to complete everything 100%. :3

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I'm missing only the Dog Ears and the Panda Hat.

Between my own hat-collecting experiences and those of others posted here, my intuition is telling me that there aren't tricks to getting certain hats, but rather the game controls the pacing of collection (e.g., the last two hats you need to collect will be hard to find, regardless of which hats they actually are).

To help ameliorate the process, what I'm currently doing is playing Trophy Rush with a given character until a hat drops, and then switching to another character until another hat drops, etc. It feels like I'm getting more variety in the drops, and at the very least it makes it more interesting for me.

Edit: Got Dog Ears in a round of Trophy Rush playing as DK.

Last edited:

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Well, patch 1.0.4 is out and I can confirm that the home button roulette trick was NOT removed. It still works as it did before.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
So this morning I got the last two hats I needed (Panda Hat and Floral Hat) by playing Trophy Rush with Greninja. In fact, I found them both after only four rounds of Trophy Rush, and 5 out of the 14 custom parts dropped were Mii headgear. My typical score doing this was around 480,000.

So, try playing Trophy Rush with Greninja?

Note, however, that this also sounds like LanceKing2200's case of getting the last two hats in relatively quick succession after a drought.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I've been playing Trophy Rush like a maniac and found three hats (Chomp Hat, Dragon Helmet and Wario's Cap) already.

I thought Classic was better, but Trophy Rush has a few advantages over it:
- Classic is loooooooong, 10 mins minimum;
- You have to do that annoying home button trick if you only want customs;
- The customs you get are influenced by the match you just played;
- Trophy Rush is honestly MORE FUN than Classic Mode, in all honesty. Getting to that highscore is fun;

I made a tiny Mii (named him Toad) and use him in Trophy Rush all the time, since you get a higher chance at custom moves should you use any other character (other than Palutena, obviously). I've also unlocked all Custom Moves since I've started doing this, by the way.

When I run out of cash I'll just go play a few rounds of Classic Mode in 9.0 and I'll be filled with cash again.
JUST YOU WAIT, FALCON HELMET, I'LL GET YOU SOMEDAY AAAARGH

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I have the Wii U version myself, and apparently Frog Hats, Lacy Headbands, and Captain Falcon Helmets are fairly common.

The problem is that there's no way to actually transfer them. You can transfer the Mii, hat and all, but you won't unlock anything nor will you get the equiped hat any quicker while wearing it.

Well, there might be a way, actually. Amiibo. It was confirmed back in the New 3DS/Shulk reveal direct that SSB3D will eventually be Amiibo compadible, and they can bring over rewards after enough play. You can even see what you're getting before dropping it off on the Wii U version. But... I haven't seen an Amiibo drop off a hat or even a costume. I'll come back if I see one.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm desperately searching for the dog ears.
I'm the one who is updating the Google Docs file with Kirby and Donkey Kong hats. I actually got each hat at least twice (except maybe the football helmet), and most of them thrice or more, but no dog ears yet.
I'm keeping the count of the hats found, and I got 240 hats more or less. I made a little simulation with Game Maker (the faster way I had to make a small program with some random generated numbers) and according to the simulation, if the random is not influenced by anything, in the worst case I should have found the dog ears after 160/300 tries. I'm at 240, so I should be close to it, right?
I'm starting losing hopes, I'm very busy this week and I'm going to give up very soon.
I think that this random thing is very disrespectful to gamers like me who likes finishing the games without using helps (golden hammers), and even if I used the help, I would still need to get the dog ears in order to unlock everything.
Theorically, I could go on forever without finding it.

I just wanted to play free for all and online, but I played very little of those mode, due to all this grinding... and I have to grind again on WiiU :mad:
Honestly, I had a lot more fun with the demo, where I was free to play as I wanted, instead of being forced to grind in order to unlock useless things.
I'm actually thinking about not getting the WiiU version because of this, I'm not sure anymore if I'll buy it or not (seeing that there is nothing special in the contents of the game - I already watched online).

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
You're not forced to grind on the WiiU version, though, you can just transfer the characters you want from the 3DS version.

By the way, what are you guys using to farm for hats? Classic 9.0?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I just found the dog ears today!
After more than a week of grinding! I wasted a lot of my time with this.
It took about 268 hats before I found the dog ears (the amount is not precise because I haven't started counting the hats from the beginning, so it's probably a lot more).

I tried everything, but I found out that the faster way to get hats is Trophy Rush, around 1:50, get 3/4 green boxes then quit manually. You save a lot of time this way. If you do a full trophy rush, it's possible that you get 3, 4 or 5 items, and 5 are very rare, so it's useless wasting money if you can easily get 3/4 items from 1:50.
But, it seems like if you play the same mode a lot of time, it gives you less hats, so I played it alternated with Classic Lv9
(Trophy Rush using Donkey Kong, Classic Lv9 using a modified Kirby).
To be more precise, it seems like if you switch off the game for some hours then play it again, it gives you 5/10 hats very fastly, then they become rarer (but this may not be true, maybe it just feels).

Actually it's true, I may just create the miis and the characters on 3DS, then transfer them on WiiU until I have all the custom elements on it too...

EDIT: there is a limit in the optional elements that you can collect (the ones that allow you to power up the values of your character and give bonus effects). It's something like 3000, I can't remember. Anyway, I don't know what happens to the items that collect after that number... probably the oldest are deleted automatically? but that's bad,you may lose very good items due to this.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
There's a limit to equipment, you mean? That's bad... I should sell some useless equipment soon, then.

Oh, by the way...

HOLY CRAP YES, AT LONG ****ING LAST I GOT IT!I nearly screamed on the subway while I was playing, lol, when I read that name. I didn't scream but I'm sure people noticed my overjoyed face.

Took me about a gazillion Trophy Rushes, give or take a few rushes. But it's definitely the best method to farm for hats. Fast, fun, and you can try to reach for a highscore as a secondary objective (that's why I always did 2:30 rushes).

NOW I CAN PLAY NORMAL SMASH AGAIN!
I'M JUST SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW, **** YOU RNG!

BCE

Smash Rookie
i had nothing to do and cleared classic 9.0 with all chars, 0 news hat or outfit, im still missing 3 hats and 4 outfits and after weeks, the game simply refuses to gimme something new -_-

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
It's completely random, don't give up yet! I'd do Trophy Rush if I were you, just because it's easier to play it and replay it immediately afterwards. With Classic 9.0 you have to wait so muuuuuch...

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The fact is that if you play normally you have very low chances of getting something. The only way to finish the quest of collecting hats, is to grind intensively, which is a very bad thing.
The other way, is playing occasionally some smash runs, classics lv9 or trophy rush, and go on for a couple of years... it won't be frustrating but it would take you a very long time until you will get everything. The worst thing is that playing free for all and online won't reward you with collectables... they fall on the stage sometimes if you play with items, but they are so rare, and you have to hope that's an hat and not simply an useless optional element.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Hey, it's confirmed Amiibo give out hats. Get a hat that's more common in one version and bring it over to the other. You can even set 8 Amiibo to fight at once overnight in a 99-stock, damage ratio 0.5, healing items high to get a boatload of stuff. Assuming you have that many, of course. One will do though.

Zteven

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zteven
3DS FC
5172-1365-2942
I was about to get Wario's cap. Now I'm just missing two more.

ShadowKingSonic

Smash Rookie
Well, I've got the Wii U version, and I have to say, I'm impressed with how many hats I already have. I have 30 or so of the obtainable ones, and I've barely even played Classic to the extent that I have in the 3DS version. Something I recommend is just go for all the trophies first. It'll take a lot longer in this version. Nowhere NEAR done since again, I have to beat Classic AND All-Star as everyone. Majora's Mask is the reward for getting all the hats, btw. Oh, I don't have all the custom special moves either.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, I transfered Miis with all the hats I don't have on SSB3D from SSBU and beat classic again as all of them.

Weeeeell, take a guess how many challenges I beat like that.

Last edited:

Hitaka

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hitaka
I finally did it. The pain is over. Oddly enough Captain Falcon Helmet was also the last one I needed. I tried Link, and got it on Classic mode. So thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom