• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fast Fall Cancel

B0NK

Smash Lord
So everyone should know how to initiate a fast fall. If you don't, you do so by pressing down quickly in the air, you should get a sparkle confirmation in Smash 3DS.

Now onto Fast Fall "Canceling."

In Smash 3DS you can now stop your fast fall by initiating either an aerial move or special move in the air. After the aerial or special move is initiated, your fall speed will return to a "slow," fall speed.

This also means that you can immediately after initiating the aerial, perform a 2nd fast fall in the air. For special moves, you must wait until the special move is completed.

What does this mechanic mean for competitive play? Not much, but it does mean you can fast fall farther offstage to edgeguard or gimp without using double jump to cancel your fast fall to avoid SDing. Unlike in Brawl when D-air initiated a fast fall, then you were likely to kill yourself if the move lasted too long. (Same applies to moves like buffered fast fall Ike's nair offstage in brawl).

Just like airdodge canceling, this is less of a technique, and more so a new mechanic to the Smash series. So Fast Fall Canceling seems like a good generic name if you ask me.

So in short, you can cancel your fast fall with an aerial or special move. (Or a double jump like in every other Smash game). After you have canceled your fast fall, you may immediately initiate a 2nd fast fall. There is no limit on the number of fast falls you can do in one full hop, your only limitation is the speed of your aerial and the ground below you.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Thanks for the write up, it wasn't common knowledge, funnily enough (this is what happens when people don't live here :p).
But it's something I've personally already become comfortable with, and is enough to have me at least slightly positive about Meta Knight's prospects on WiiU with C-stick on his side (I'm sure Jigglypuff players using this appropriately will achieve amazing things).

Oh wait, you post as if you discovered it. I'm pretty sure people have already been referring to it as Fast Fall Cancelling since day 1 of game release.

B0NK

Smash Lord
I can change the wording so it doesn't sound like I discovered it lol

Probably still good to spread the knowledge.

Last edited:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Known a long time ago about the game, but seeing as it is technically a new mechanic it's nice to actually see a thread describe it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Noticed this day one with Marth when going for off stage spikes.

Excellent mechanic. Good job namco.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I always thought it was common knowledge. I dislike this, especially for dairs since I want to fast fall them easily and had ways to prevent fastfalling already. I also dislike being unable to fast fall special moves. It will take more time for me to warm up to this.

luigijerk

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the write up, it wasn't common knowledge, funnily enough (this is what happens when people don't live here :p).
But it's something I've personally already become comfortable with, and is enough to have me at least slightly positive about Meta Knight's prospects on WiiU with C-stick on his side (I'm sure Jigglypuff players using this appropriately will achieve amazing things).

Oh wait, you post as if you discovered it. I'm pretty sure people have already been referring to it as Fast Fall Cancelling since day 1 of game release.
You know, I haven't seen any threads dedicated to this. It helped me. I don't know why you had to be an arrogant jerk about it.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I'm a fan of this mechanic, I'm assuming it means that a c-stick dair won't automatically cause a fast fall which is cool. Someone posted about it on reddit during the demo days.

B0NK

Smash Lord
I always thought it was common knowledge. I dislike this, especially for dairs since I want to fast fall them easily and had ways to prevent fastfalling already. I also dislike being unable to fast fall special moves. It will take more time for me to warm up to this.
I feel it.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I am really happy with the feeling of directional speed and control in this game. It's not wavedash's raw spacing and speed, but in general everything feels so tight in a very simple and less stressful manner. It feels like the shackles were lifted off Brawl's movement and yet it feels slightly quirky enough to not compare it. I found out about the cancel and other cool effects like dragging people down with you during multi-hit attacks just through play but great job sharing for those in need. It's way too fun to apply this to Dedede who is the undisputed King of the Floats. This title is not an argument, please see Waddle Dee to register any complaints or contradictions. The king has no time for it. (holds control stick down and takes a stretch)

Top Bottom