• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fantastic offensive use for cape

j3ly

Smash Champion
Only tried this on fast fallers - Uthrow (lower percent = better) -> Cape - they will miss their tech almost definatly, free jab, Fsmash. At over 60 and 7, use down throw (at least for fox cause the cape does nothing for some reason)

Just did a beaut of a 0-death, CG to 70, dthrow + cape -> jab + Fsmash

There seem to be allot of particulars for this, ill maybe list them all out some time this week

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
thunders is when a character misses a tech and u do a move with such low knockback to instead of knock them into the air, force them to get up.
it usually only works on fast fallers.

pertaining to this, when u cape and the miss a tech, u jab. then, they getup as if they pressed "up". basically, combo with out hitstun.

only, if mario hits them slightly into the air, they can input an airial.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
The one problem I foresee with this is, that (At least for Doc, and I fear Mario is the same) above 30-ish damage, opponents can roll out of your jab reset.
I don't know the exact damage, but it's crazy low comparatively.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
If you're fast enough you can roll or do get up attack though from the reset (any percent, computers do it cuz they have stupid reaction times), but if you're that fast, you probably shouldn't have missed the tech anyways. Though if you're at a higher percent, you should go for the DI escape.

Reeeaaaallllll effective on FFer's but there are ways you can get out of a reset scotch-free even if you miss the tech.

j3ly

Smash Champion
oh ok i get ya man, yes mario has mad thunder game xD
if performed correctly (i believe..) this lil cape trick is a guarenteed KO at around 70%

i mean marios fsmash its really, really powerful, its going to kill anyone nearly at 50% at the edge of the stage

i loove this reset thing, i am an extreamly new player (but gettin better so much faster than ne1 else in uk), and finding this out (from m2k vs darkrain from genesis) was huuge. The opp goes to tech, the cape hits them at the last second denying them that tech. If i can sweet-spot the smash, charge it too, it may even be able to get a LH kill on marth or something at 30% if he can't di well.

mario <3

Tamoo

Smash Master
Noo Im gettin faster than anyone else in the UK!!

Hehe, wow you sure do keep the mario boards alive mate lol.

And nice trick here by the way. Reminds me of jiggs uthrow - pound - jabreset on fox,

j3ly

Smash Champion
Oh, wait yeah u placed 3rd xD

but i have noone to practive with.. you have fuzzyy and other good people like bullet bill! I have pms but he only comes back from uni once in a while, and Hype (the falco dude) but he wont play me more then 3 games since i started winning. Plus i have noone to copy and learn my techs for me, the best (imo) mario combo vid is Mario *** - the Evolution, check it out tamoo i play nutin like that guy. However i take that back, u are getting good scarily fast.. (curse matchups...)

And cheers man - im trying my hardest lol :D

Tamoo

Smash Master
hehe, u think ive got good people to practice with?

I live in oxford mate, Id have to travel on a train for a couple of hours to get to anyone, nevermind anyone decent haha.

Still, youre def one of the faster improvers in the UK, can only really think of people like Dacacia and Dave who are improving like you are.

Btw, how did you do last monthly? Didnt see you in the top 8 :( what happened man?

j3ly

Smash Champion
Really? i had u pegged wrong, i thought u trained with fuzzy on a regular.
Lol im playing Dave later today, i hope to pwn him

Im not sure, i think i may need to de-tech my play style, because when i play in my own home and friendlies, i make hardly any mistakes, all my WD are perfect, dash dances are good, but at that tourney i kept msising the shoulder button for a WD, and got punisheddd for it. A mario in the air is like a free knee or slap xD Plus i wasn't stonned for my tourney matches.. JOHNS lol

nah but really i was just a little nervous nd sketchy, learned too many new things with little finesse.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Actually I do get to play a lot with fuzzy, but thats because he goes to like every tournament in the UK, as do I, but we dont get to play many friendlies really.

Lol are you playing with my crew or something today??
His falcon is pretty legit considering he's only been using falcon for a couple of months, and his peach is gay so watch out there.

I make significantly more mistakes at home lol, although that may be because Im trying not to disturb my housemates at 1am with loud controller noises hehe.

Nerves will go eventually i guess, I was well nervous in my match against chrisboi any time i got infront of him, which is why he managed to come back so many times against me :ohwell: it happens, for some reason, I find my nerves are going now people have higher expectations of me, maybe it was trying too hard to prove that I was getting better that made me nervous

j3ly

Smash Champion
lol u just hit my nail BANG on the head, im trying to prove myself as the best low tier a little too quikly. Knowledge, is power in this game, ive come to realize u need specific strategies against not only characters - but different generic version of characters. Campy marths, grabby marths, people who take marth to the deepest and most disgusting level, (i cannot deal with this at the moment), DD capming falcons and foxes, uthrow to uair foxes (i learned my counter to those this tourney :D) its kinda overwhelming. How mango became best in the world in 1 year!!?! either way i would assume he had like 10 people as good and addicted at/to smash as fuzzy living on his street, willing to play and train him at any point. its madness

Umm goin to alpha-dashes house, prof, fuzz, frugz, dave, deathgazer, me, dash and lastdragon
maaan, im going to get soo much better today :D:D

j3ly

Smash Champion
and there is more then 1 tourney a month!!?!!!?!!

!!?!?!!?!!?

LINK PLOX

Tamoo

Smash Master
Welll, I travel all over the UK for tournaments, would you be able to?
I kinda live in the middle so Im about 2 hours from each one, and all three tournaments happen once a month.
Atm I go to London monthlies, EastMidlands monthlies and NorthWests Monthlies
And ofcourse, there's European tournaments :p
Going to Europe was one of the main reasons for my improvement though

If you do intend to go to any of these, Ill give you a link to them.

Aah man, that is such a good list of people going today! Im proper jealous man, have fun anyway whilst i pretend to be working haha

j3ly

Smash Champion
haha, i know :)
shae Jman isnt there, hes who im using to tally my improvement at the moment.
Also HUGE grudge match vs deathgazer, admittedly its not fair cause he ONLY playes CPUs, but ima fakin DESTROY him for knocking me out a few months ago

and YES!! i come ranbat on my own now my crew all work at the same place (on saturday :( ) and id happily travel - i gotta job nd stuff so money isnt an issue, and thats miles (i live in high barnet, end of northern line :s)

i should get ready to go in a sec, btw do you live on the underground/overground lines? if its not overly pointless i'd prefer to make those treks with somebody, i have both near me.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Lol well I live about 100 miles from you though mate, Oxford is like in the middle of the country, so it will be hard to meet up for the long trek hehe

Ill give you the links for the NW and EM monthlies though, bear in mind that these are really far though, but luckily for you, transport from London to outside London is relatively cheap if youre willing to coach it or book in advance for trains.

NW: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247662
EM: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=248647

Mario Boards alive for a day :D

TresChikon

Smash Lord
oh ok i get ya man, yes mario has mad thunder game xD
if performed correctly (i believe..) this lil cape trick is a guarenteed KO at around 70%

i mean marios fsmash its really, really powerful, its going to kill anyone nearly at 50% at the edge of the stage

i loove this reset thing, i am an extreamly new player (but gettin better so much faster than ne1 else in uk), and finding this out (from m2k vs darkrain from genesis) was huuge. The opp goes to tech, the cape hits them at the last second denying them that tech. If i can sweet-spot the smash, charge it too, it may even be able to get a LH kill on marth or something at 30% if he can't di well.

mario <3
Granted resets are sexy, but you can still SDI out of them at any percent.

Maybe you can pull it off 1 or 2 times off a person, but they'll catch on pretty quickly if they're any good.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
people who take marth to the deepest and most disgusting level, (i cannot deal with this at the moment)
thank u so much. i was having a bad day and i think u cheered me up.

when using a low tier, u have to consider the cons of each move to bring out the pros to the fullest.

my first tourney is in october. well, on my birthday ^_^ im extremely hyped (emoticon with a smiling permantly stuck on, like an old person)!

Tamoo

Smash Master
Inputting actions before they are actually possible to do so that they hapen on the first frame possible.

For example, hold down shield and hold down. You will continuously buffer spotdodges

j3ly

Smash Champion
thank u so much. i was having a bad day and i think u cheered me up.

when using a low tier, u have to consider the cons of each move to bring out the pros to the fullest.

my first tourney is in october. well, on my birthday ^_^ im extremely hyped (emoticon with a smiling permantly stuck on, like an old person)!
If its your first tourney, expect to be ***** man, im sorry to say this :(
Its important that you know thats its commin - i thought i was the BEST until my first tourney - you will be suprised at how little you know

there is one huuge salvation though - tourneys make u steeeeeeepp uuppppp like nothing else!! its rediculous, such a boost to play, every tourney pretty much

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If its your first tourney, expect to be ***** man, im sorry to say this :(
Its important that you know thats its commin - i thought i was the BEST until my first tourney - you will be suprised at how little you know

there is one huuge salvation though - tourneys make u steeeeeeepp uuppppp like nothing else!! its rediculous, such a boost to play, every tourney pretty much
He wasn't being cocky or anything. He just said he was hyped. Give him a break.

Top Bottom