• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's Laser Lock on Snake

squarez

Smash Apprentice
Does it have to be after three consecutive upsmashes or just after one upsmash?

Cless

Smash Champion
OK, this laser lock is stupid. After having played Brawl, there is no way you should ever get caught in this ever.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Wow I can't believe people are still complaining about this. Its harder to land than most people expect. Don't cry till you get stuck in one k

Cless

Smash Champion
I suggest that everyone who has not played Brawl for a length of time to not comment on this. You really need to play the game to understand why this is not an issue at all. There is barely any hit stun after attacks. You can air dodge, jump, attack, etc. almost immediately after you are hit.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Ya its a pain to hit it when both people are trying to have it happen. Me and a friend tried it a little bit. Its hard to land and easy to avoid

Drolian

Smash Journeyman
Can someone test what characters falco's laser lock works on at what percents and what setups?

It works on Ike around 35-50 with fthrow.

Of course you can do it to anyone I guess if they mess up a tech, but reliable setups (I doubt anything will be absolute, because they can DI, or tech when they hit the ground) with percents of characters sounds handy. I don't have the game, so. >___>

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
If you get laser locked, the only counter is to burst out crying..

Realistically, if you get caught in this I have heard that if you get caught in this you don't have a chance to win anyways. Because you are bad!

Anyways, to answer someone's question, the only reason he did the U-smashes was to knock Snake down, any move would have worked.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
You can't DI out of it no. Like you said it will be situational, but when that situation comes up its cool.
About this, I remember reading somewhere that infinite combos like this one and Fox's shine are DI-able (I'm told this is called "smash-DI") if you smash the control stick in the direction of the DI repeatedly. I did see a video of someone escaping Fox's shine combo against a wall while supposedly using said technique. Do you mind giving it a go with Falco or explaining whether or not there is a difference between "smash-DI" and DI'ing just by holding the control stick in a direction? (mind, the directions used to escape the combo were toward the enemy and up).

Also, I'm a little ill-informed with smash lingo as I'm new to the board, so bear with me if the thing about "smash-DI" sounds stupid. As much as I love Falco, I'd like to believe he doesn't have a "win" button if an opponent makes a critical error like falling into this combo.

Zonic100

Smash Cadet
This seriously isn't that bad.

Its not ZOMG FALCOZ BROK CHEAP LAZLOR LOK NO LALLS IN TOURNEYZ.

Any normal person playing competively would seriously let themselves get in a situation like that. If they were smashed up in the air it would probably be easy for that person to move away in the air and tech away. Or even jump, no more slamming into the ground for the combo to even happen. But YES its THERE. It will probably BE there for awhile. You'd seriously have to have no idea how to play well in a tournament to get in this situation.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
About this, I remember reading somewhere that infinite combos like this one and Fox's shine are DI-able (I'm told this is called "smash-DI") if you smash the control stick in the direction of the DI repeatedly.
I don't think smash DI works in this case, but I could be mistaken. But I agree, its very situational.

DancingZombies

Smash Rookie
If it hasn't been said before, I've seen this happen on Dedede.

It seems like Brawl has a lot of locks, such as this and jab-locks against a wall, prompting stages with walls to likely come under fire, and maybe banned from tourneys. It's sad, really.

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
It seems like Brawl has a lot of locks, such as this and jab-locks against a wall, prompting stages with walls to likely come under fire, and maybe banned from tourneys. It's sad, really.
Eh, these stages may end up getting banned from tourneys, but I don't think it's because of move-locking. Stages with walls on the side tend to help preserve lives for longer than reasonable time in competitive play (500% on Hyrule for a good wall techer, or even higher). And to get caught in one of these locks sounds very difficult, as you'd have to be an idiot to leave yourself in the situation. This COULD be a problem depending on how easy it is to setup a combo lock with various lock-able moves, but I doubt it. Rather than panic, though, I'd still like to know if this is DI-able in any fashion, if only for the sake of curiosity.

Cless

Smash Champion
Please, please play Brawl, and understand the mechanics of the game before you form an opinion about this laser lock. You'll realize why this is stupid when you do. Rapid jab combos are di-able. Fox had an infinite on walled stages in Melee. Let's not ban things all willy-nilly now.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Agreed. The game isn't even out yet and almost every thread on SWF has someone screaming ban this ban that. Jeez. Give the game a chance

Top Bottom