• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon Slide - new technique

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Just now I found a way of sliding with Falcon's Up Special. It's a lot like a landing slide ("wave-landing") in Melee.

The easiest way to duplicate this is to go to Final Destination and jump off the side - make sure you're facing toward the stage. Next, do a reverse Falcon Dive (up special) so that you're now facing away from the stage. Maneuver away from the ledge so you don't sweetspot it as you rise up. Maneuver the Dive back onto the stage as soon as you get over the ledge and land on the stage so that the move is "canceled" but you still have horizontal momentum. Falcon will slide when he lands.

The distance you can get with this can be considerable. Much more than "wave-dashing" in Melee, and more on par with moonwalking.

I will have videos as soon as I can, but right now the only way I can capture it is via Brawl's built in recorder. If anyone really wants to see this in action right away and has Brawl I can send it to you via Friend Code. Otherwise it might be a while until I can get a video online.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Sounds interesting, I'd like to see a video of what exactly it can do.

Based on the description, I can't think of any applications for it due to how it's done. Possibly a very situational technique.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Might be useful for platforms, but as you state it here it's pretty much a taunt, and if they're near you, just asking for it.

By the way, you can probably simplify it by holding down and DI'ing left or right as necessary during the up-B, since this will prevent you from grabbing the edge - so you won't have to go so far out of your way.

looduhcriss

Smash Apprentice
to me when i imagine it (even though i dont useCF)...it seems pretty good since if u cancel the UpB and slide, and its farther than wavelanding in melee...it might be a good way to evade getting hit by the edge? does that mean u can attack during the slide?

Winnar

Smash Lord
Hm...Sounds good. I think I'd have to see a video of it or test it out once I get the game to be able to understand its potential (if it has any).

falco-hokage

Smash Cadet
what if it is done on the edge of the stage while the opponent is off and your back is facing them, so u should be able 2 ^b move forward upon the rise then backward when falling and go off the stage like wavelanding off in melee, then after going off possibly dair, uair, bair, reverse fair, or just for mindgames...it sounds versatile

Winnar

Smash Lord
Just got back from playing Brawl, used this once or twice. Both times from recovering when the opponent was either dead or flying across the stage.

I don't think you can actually do anything during this since it looked/felt like he was still lagging from having just landed from the up-B. It lasted about the same amount of time, too.

One thing to note is that the first time I did it I was at the very crest of his up-b, and it went much farther than the second time. Think Mewtwo's wavedash for the length.

Hm...I guess this could be helpful for spacing. If they decide to edgeguard and you're facing backwards then you could just do this to ensure you don't get ledgehopped f-air or n-air'd to your death.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
There's a rather interesting tech that a friend of mine found today in which Falcon performs an edge-bound wavedash when he does his Side Special RIGHT ON PAR with the platform floor.

viewtiful_jon

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen of both the Up-B ledge slide and the Foward-B Slide (done level to floor from off stage or onto sloped floor like Lylat Cruise), the landing lag of the Falcon Dive/Raptor Boost lasts for the entire slide, making it pretty useless. If there was a way to cancel the landing lag and retain the slide, it could be alright, but as long as the lag remains, this is unfortunately not the saving grace we've been looking for as Falcon mains. We can always hope though...

HulkingRage

Smash Apprentice
that doesnt sound very useful, but i'd like to see a video, you would have to be off the edge and the person would have to not hit you as your up b'ing and even then...

Top Bottom