• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon or Mario.... Who will it be

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
So im having a difficult trouble choosing who should be secondary, Falcon or Mario. I Love Falcon and the way he plays but the lack of priority he has is hindering me from choosing him over Mario. So can anyone give me some tips or i guess i would call it things that Falcon has or is better at doing than Mario? The only reason im actually considering Mario is because well i still like playing as him, just not as much as Falcon.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Falcon chases better and has the potential to KO earlier than Mario (Falcon Punch, Knee, etc)

Being taller, he also has longer reach, so his stutter step goes much further than Mario's, and so does his u-air.

I guess you can also say he has more spiking potential than Mario due to his Side-B and D-air.

Mario is an edgeguarding beast, and Falcon, even though he can do the whole jump-off-stage-and-kill-you-and-come-back-to-taunt-about-it deal, Mario can screw people up without leaving the stage, plus he has projectile approaches and a reflector to boot ._.;

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well Mario is automatically a lot better than Falcon by being allowed to projectile camp.

Mario is also better at comboing, juggling, and dealing with camping. And his kill options while slightly on the weak side, are at least easy to land, making them great if you don't diminish them.

And yeah, Mario is a beast at ledgeguarding even in Brawl. ^^

Sh1n0b1

Smash Journeyman
Dude, a word of advice, if you post this in a Captain Falcon board, most people would say choose Captain Falcon. If you posted this on a general discussion board you will most likely get mixed results (Or way more Mario mostly because everyone thinks falcon sucks). That is just my opinion.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I'll say this like I said this to many others. We cant really decide for you, that's your decision. Without any knowledge of your playstyle etc. it would be stupid wasting time to do so.

:034:

Smash Hero
Mario has crazy combo's and more effective kill moves, but he does have trouble killing, while Falcon has more potential, but it'll take longer to learn. Falcon has more range but crappier priority, Mario has projectile camping and is better at gimping. On the other hand, Falcon's recovery is better, he's better at chasing, but might be a bit tough to handle due to his speed.

Pick whatever seems the best for you, but I'd go for Mario. Crazy bair-uair combo's ftw.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Falcon's DownB >>>>> Mario's DownB. That's pretty much it for things he's better than Mario at.

If you want a really fun character and someone who everyone at tourneys will root for, go with Falcon. If you want someone who's pretty fun and has a much better chance of WINNING a tourney, go with Mario.

∫unk

Smash Master
Mario's priority isn't exactly something to write home about.

And if you can play either then you're a beast. Choose whichever one feels better.

Killress

Smash Ace
Idk. They both have a pretty sexy dthrow->Uair->Uair... but, I like Mario.

H3 h4z teh f123b411z!!!!!!!!1!1111! :p

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Falcon's DownB >>>>> Mario's DownB. That's pretty much it for things he's better than Mario at.

If you want a really fun character and someone who everyone at tourneys will root for, go with Falcon. If you want someone who's pretty fun and has a much better chance of WINNING a tourney, go with Mario.
I main Mario/G&W, and secondary Falcon (among a number of other guys), but I honestly think Mario's FLUDD is more useful than a Falcon Kick.

Mario's FLUDD is something that keeps him unpredictable and able to ledgeguard better than most characters. When ledgeguarding, it stops people from grabbing the ledge which gives you a good window to punish recovery with something else (and successfully Caping people is literally just as effective in Brawl as it is in Melee). The pushback occasionally gimps recoveries (character specific, but very effective), and the FLUDD can pressure people at the ledge who try to do a getup attack by forcing them to fall off. All in all it is one hell of a good attack for ledgeguarding.

When you hit someone with FLUDD, it does not interrupt what they are doing. This makes the FLUDD very good for spacing and therefore punishing an opponent's spacing mistakes since the FLUDD itself has almost no ending lag.

Also if you see Ness or Lucas in a crouching position, FLUDD will kill them. =P

Falcon kick is good for...approaching. Not that it's bad, but it's just okay.

Lastly I'd root for Mario any day. How can you not love an Italian Plumber voiced by Charles Martinet? =(

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Well you should never be playing against a Lucas/Ness with Mario in the first place. :p lol

I've yet to see any Mario really utilize F.L.U.U.D. well. But I'll take your word for its usefulness. I still would lean towards Falcon Kick even after all of this because of F.L.U.U.D.'s situationality.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Thanks alot for all of the posts. Ive decided though, im going with Falcon. Ive always liked Falcon more than Mario, and as ive been playing more and more with both of them i realized the way Mario plays just isent right for me. Thanks alot though. :)

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Welcome aboard, good sir.
lol, thanks... I mean seriously... Falcon is so bad ***... Who the hell can pull off wearing a skarf... Kneeing people in the face, and with the best taunght in the game... Pffttt whats not to like.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well you should never be playing against a Lucas/Ness with Mario in the first place. :p lol

I've yet to see any Mario really utilize F.L.U.U.D. well. But I'll take your word for its usefulness. I still would lean towards Falcon Kick even after all of this because of F.L.U.U.D.'s situationality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uill9wgXQ4

Yeah, FLUDD is pretty useful. This makes Mario pretty good against space animals.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
I say to choose captain falcon. I had trouble choosing between those two people too , but i decided to pick mario.

Top Bottom