• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FALCON... Bluff!! - Is Falcon Punch Cancelable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
So, this isn't gameplay footage, but watch the trailer again:

At 0:46 we see our favourite meme, but then something weird happens and at 0:48 he stops the attack mid-way and seemingly dodges Robin's ElWind.

Do you think this points to a new feature in the game? Do you think Falcon will be able to stop his Falcon Punch half way and potentially use it as a risky bait? Do you think such a mechanic would help him or have any use competatively?

Or, do you think this is more likely just a stylistic choice for the trailer and in reality means nothing?

Personally I hope it's real, I don't know how useful it'd be, but if nothing else it would let us cut some of that lag if we slip the directional stick.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Actually if that is the case i wonder if you can use it as a bait, Falcon... Nope, Grab! MindGames from 20XX.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
It is cancel-able if you get hit by an attack. :troll:

But seriously, I doubt it. As you mentioned, it was not game-play and therefore it is not indicative of in-game options.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Yeah, but imagine how cool it would be if it was!

Also I've named the potential technique the Falcon Bluff, not the Falcon Nope! :p

RCyclone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rcyclone
3DS FC
0490-7017-9432
Switch FC
3291-1218-6623
I'm fairly certain it was just for the trailer, unless they make it one of his custom moves which would be a great idea!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If we're going to take the trailer literally for CFalcon's moves, that would mean he would have a counter that would stun someone long enough to pull of a Falcon PAAAAAAAAAWNCH (He countered her sword and kicked her, making her stumble long enough for him to do it if he weren't interrupted).

I don't think it'll be a Falcon Bluff. But that would be cool.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Let's put it this way, I'm pretty sure you can't break Link's clawshot like Pit did in Palutena's trailer.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Yeah, it's probably just style, I think we can all agree on that, but with Bamco on the balancing team I don't thinks it's infeasable, and I guess I'm just hopeful to see The Punch get some use in competitive play...

I'd say it's <10% of actually being a thing, but god-damn do I want it to be a thing!

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
*Cancels the Falcon start-up saying Falcon. . .*
*pops up a bento box & says Lunch!*

But in all seriousness basing the video off anything game-play wise, C.Falcon appears to be balanced with a counterattack, a cancel able Falcon Punch, 2v1 easily, stronger neutral game trading, & opens a mean can of woop ass.

cypher_

Smash Rookie
NNID
mtagmann
It'd be awesome if it were, or if it were chargeable like DK's punch, but I don't think it will be :)

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Falcon Punch cancelable? As cool as that may be, we're better off hoping he has armor for the damn move.
I'm pretty sure that'll be a customisable option, and probably either a faster version or a dash version... I guess the neutral will probably just be balanced... But we I can still hope, damnit!

Last edited:

OwenMaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
OwenMaster3DHD
3DS FC
0516-7651-4373
So, this isn't gameplay footage, but watch the trailer again:

At 0:46 we see our favourite meme, but then something weird happens and at 0:48 he stops the attack mid-way and seemingly dodges Robin's ElWind.

Do you think this points to a new feature in the game? Do you think Falcon will be able to stop his Falcon Punch half way and potentially use it as a risky bait? Do you think such a mechanic would help him or have any use competatively?

Or, do you think this is more likely just a stylistic choice for the trailer and in reality means nothing?

Personally I hope it's real, I don't know how useful it'd be, but if nothing else it would let us cut some of that lag if we slip the directional stick.
They might do that but if they don't I think the falcon punch will be really buffed but slowed down because in the trailer it was kind of slow

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's probably just a trailer-only ordeal, and you can't cancel the Falcon Punch at all. In other words, think twice before using it against anyone who has a counter move.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It's falcon punch, you sshould think twice about using it against anyone with a roll!

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
The trailer follows game logic. ElWind was fired downwards as we also see in the trailer, so maaaaaybe. Could it work like in Smash Flash where if you press B again, it cancels? We may never know... no we'll know when the game comes out.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I was thinking about this earlier when I first saw the trailer. It sure would be awesome if you could cancel it.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Once you use Falcon Punch there's no going back.

You must commit to that decision, which in this case, is always right.

Cancelable Falcon Punch is a sin worthy of eternal damnation in New York City during a high budget movie scene.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Once you use Falcon Punch there's no going back.

You must commit to that decision, which in this case, is always right.

Cancelable Falcon Punch is a sin worthy of eternal damnation in New York City during a high budget movie scene.
Agreed:4falcon:. Falcon needs that Wavebounce 360 Paunch. Mindgames to the max!

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I dunno, maybe you can cancel it. Remember when Sakurai was talking about buffing the Falcon Punch for 1v1 matches?

D

Deleted member

It'd be nice, but I don't see it happening. Maybe it's just for the trailer.. ? Don't know, really.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I notice this on the second look at the trailer. It seems like something Sakurai would pull. Its like showing Game & Watch or Dark Pit in other videos but giving no reference to them afterwards.

On a separate note I like that Sakurai mentions on Miiverse that he was wondering about a new F-Zero game. Been too long!

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
It'd be an interesting maneuver, but not so sure how that works on his approaches other than punishing rolls/counter.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
The developers should really add gimmicks like the mentioned in the opening post to not only increase the potential of more competitive mindgames, but the uniqueness it brings to this fighter game.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Dude, if the punch was immediately cancel-able at any point without any lag the mind games would be SO real.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Well, I think it would be pretty balanced as is given how risky Falcon Punch is already, but if there was a need to nerf the cancel slightly you could have a point-of-no-return, and maybe a few frames of lag after the cancel and it would balance pretty well imo.

Like take Melee's Falcon Punch for instance, it's 99 frames long and hits on frame 52; if you could only cancelled between frame 10 and 44 (the period where there's a visual indicator that he's charging), and there was say a 4 or 5 frame reset before he could throw the next move that would give the opponent a clear window of opportunity and time to react if they haven't committed fully, but still allow Falcon to Bait and Punish with the move with an effective 11 frame grab (4 frame to reset + 7 frames to hit) if someone goes for it... slow-ish, so it's not broken, but with mind games up the wazzoo.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I thought about this, too! I thought I was the only one...!
Sakurai's trailers often reveal more than first-perceived, and this would add a new element in Falcon's repertoire--I could see this happening.

Hong

The Strongest
If you could cancel it, it would offer similar mind-games as Focus Attacks in SF4. Those times where you think they'll cancel it, and they don't. Only Captain Falcon would have gall that deep.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Once the Falcon Punch has begun, it is irreversible. To attempt to stop such an uncontrollable surge of energy from being actualized is akin to allowing a nuclear reactor to endlessly react and chain until it undergoes catastrophic meltdown, only on a scale approximately 333 times more explosive and reality-bending, such that holding back the Falcon Punch would actually MURDER everything on screen in a bloody display due to the incredible surge of energy no longer being contained in Falcon's fist of destruction. The flaming falcon motif is actually the punch creating enough force to replicate the molecular structure and complexity of life itself, thus the punch actually gives birth to an avian during its moment of emission. To cease the production of that life by cancelling the punch then, is also an abortion, which seems rather immoral. Thus, not only would having a cancellable Falcon Punch bend the very nature of reality and murder thousands, it would also genocide thousands of unborn flame falcons over time. It is truly a sin beyond one's wildest imagination. You cannot cancel a Falcon Punch, for the sake of the known world, and for the sake of Falcon's foes.

Captain Falcon will always prevail, once B has been pressed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom