• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A FALCON ASK !! Q&A and FAQ

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I
100% agree, and this is basically what I said, minus Sheik. It's a very difficult MU, but I still think it's a bit more even than Mario and Mega Man. Both have great spacing, strong throws, and can easily gimp Falcon's recovery. Sheik is just quick.
I agree.Vs Sheik you're gonna get hit a lot. Like a lot. But then you remember she has way moremore trouble killing you than vice versa. Rage really helps here.

Vs Mario (I play a good one regularly) The neutral game is close. You just have to respect their Up Smash and come to terms with the fact that if you mess up you're gonna get comboed realllllly hard. And that Nair and Super Jump Punch will punish you if you get overzealous. Other than that, it's not bad. Except when we go off stage. Cape or FLUDD alone are annoying. Against any competent Mario, getting back on stage is HARD.

Megaman is so annoying. So many projectiles. So many hitboxes. And he gimps us well. And he's fat. Recipe for pain for us.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
I

I agree.Vs Sheik you're gonna get hit a lot. Like a lot. But then you remember she has way moremore trouble killing you than vice versa. Rage really helps here.

Vs Mario (I play a good one regularly) The neutral game is close. You just have to respect their Up Smash and come to terms with the fact that if you mess up you're gonna get comboed realllllly hard. And that Nair and Super Jump Punch will punish you if you get overzealous. Other than that, it's not bad. Except when we go off stage. Cape or FLUDD alone are annoying. Against any competent Mario, getting back on stage is HARD.

Megaman is so annoying. So many projectiles. So many hitboxes. And he gimps us well. And he's fat. Recipe for pain for us.
And Mario can't be gimped because his Up B goes through the stage.

(HYES!)Bento

Smash Rookie
Im having a little trouble being able to land a solid ledge knee when my opponent is too close to the ledge, I always find myself unable to recover and end up dying. Any suggestions?

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Im having a little trouble being able to land a solid ledge knee when my opponent is too close to the ledge, I always find myself unable to recover and end up dying. Any suggestions?
Use uair when recovering if you can safely recover low. Knee isn't a very safe move to throw out.

0mart

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mr.0mart
What should I practice now? I got my wii U recently and before that I just played and practice with other people but now that I´ve got my wii U I don´t know what should I practice when I´m alone , (before that I always practice movements and combos en 3DS)

Kiba113

Smash Rookie
Any tips against Kirby or small characters in general? My grabs, jabs and most areals are not reaching him at all.

Last edited:

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Any tips against Kirby or small characters in general? My grabs, jabs and most areals are not reaching him at all.
Falcon's historical struggles against small characters have since long ago had the same reason: you must play with a different mindset against them.

While against most characters you just go for the "play safe, punish with jab or dashgrab and uair all dai" and it works, against small characters you can't do anything like this. As it was said on our MU thread on a Pikachu discussion, you have to play like a faster Ganondorf: stay cool, powershield possible projectiles, punish with dash attack instead of dashgrab and specialize on reads, putting Falcon's heavy killing power to work against tiny and light opponents.
Because of the read-heavy nature of these matchups, you're gonna get hit and punished and comboed a lot. These are his problematic MUs, after all.

Last edited:

Igneel

Smash Rookie
Hello to everyone, I have problems with ness and mario, some tips?

Specially with a ness who LOVE to wait for you, and run and do a pivot grab, If I ran to him with a dash attack he shield and grab me, if I run to him and try to grab him he dodge/or he run and did a Pivot grab (not always, sometimes work the grab) I know I have to read him But with that Nair, D-grab and fair combo, And other things I felt this match up VERY HARD

With Mario, Always I tried to do a combo, he always hit me, example.
D-Throw + U-Air (Mario Hit me with a U-air/Nair)
Jab To grab, (Mario Hit me with a jab)

And If Mario Grab me, he can did me a combo to 40-65% and I can't do DI
Can I DI the Mario's U-Tilt? I Always did the DI to Right Or Left

Here is a Battle Vs the Mario I win this But, I have troubles with him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJrDOohG1-s&feature=youtu.be

Please Help me, I Always lose the tournaments of my countrie and I'm tired of this....

Last edited:

Kiba113

Smash Rookie
I will just write down what I saw after watching the set:
  • Don't do the multihit jab, lots of character can hit you, Mario can easily hit you with nair, uair or up b
  • I don't think Falcon Kick should be used that often, because its really unsafe. Same for side-b
  • If you cant combo him well, wait for his reaction like nair or an airdodge
  • Don't pummel your opponent during 5%-10%, or they will break out if they notice
  • Don't let him on the stage so easily, use jab so his only option is attack basically
  • Why do you go to the platform? You got hit most of the times
  • Dhtorw -> Nair works great most of the times and will refresh your uair a bit
  • Sometimes if you hit with an uair a bair follow is better than a knee that does not hit or week
  • Don't miss techs when its important
Overall I think you played quite solid and Mario is quite good.

And about Marios utilt: Avoid it as good as possible, trade hits with safe moves like jab. Don't use DA, he will just shield grab you and start his combo. If you get hit at really low percent you should be able to press shield at the second or thrid hit.

Did I miss something? :D

----------------------------------

Does anyone know if we have any jab combos like these? I briefly tested but didn't find anything substantial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agTPENb_1gY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sithdTac4Bg
No I don't think so. You can do it but they are not true and can get shielded, sometimes it works fine, sometimes not. But I prefer to have a canceled jab to grab, than a failed jab cancel.

Last edited:

Lanzoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lanzoma
3DS FC
3024-6365-7774
@ 0mart 0mart I made a list in page 6 of things to practice. There's plenty of other stuff but really you need to think about what's missing from your gameplay and practice that, rinse and repeat. Currently I'm practicing ledge setups (instant trump, trump setups, option coverage, vulnerability frame timings) and general mobility (dash dancing, extended dash dancing, fakeouts, walking).

@ Kiba113 Kiba113 Honestly I'm looking for a secondary for small character at this point. Having so many of our options unavailable makes for a very predictable approach. And those chars tend to combo Falcon pretty hard as well.

@ JCav JCav Jab setups can be escaped by everyone(?) because there's not enough hitstun, it's more of a mixup to get a grab which gives a much higher reward than gentleman. You should however just finish gentleman once the other guy catches up and starts punishing it / escaping it. One cool setup tho: when holding jab to cover ledge options, if they choose to jump, you can stop at the second jab and u-tilt / d-tilt. If they don't react in time or if they mash jump, they're dead.

@ I Igneel Vs chars with combo interrupting abilities, bait the reaction and THEN follow it up. As mentioned before, don't Jab->Grab when the opponent shows they can fight it, just gentleman (and every once in a while mix it up). U-tilt combos: DI straight down and hold shield; this only works at low %s (sub 10-15ish) but if they autopilot u-tilts you can then grab and punish yourself. Gotta be ready to react to the d-throw since it's so fast.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
@ Kiba113 Kiba113 usually small characters have bad range, so you can abuse the range of Bair, Ftilt and Dtilt to wall them. It's matchup dependantof course, but Dtilt shines here.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
I'll apologize first if this has been asked in any of the previous pages or I am asking it in the wrong area, but can I have some advice for the Falcon Vs Sonic MU?

I'm a Link main who is attempting to get Falcon as a secondary, but tonight I did terrible as Falcon against a Sonic online.

The Sonic wasn't doing anything too fancy, I just couldn't get anything set up. I think we had some lag, the screen wasn't lagging, but my button imputs seemed delayed to me.
Tips on this match up would be appreciated since I apparently don't known how to fight it.

Belthasar

Smash Rookie
I find myself commonly losing my second jump when I jump into UAir. Does everyone just have tap jump off?

In Melee, there seemed to be a small buffer during which the second jump wouldn't trigger; even slamming the stick up wouldn't cause a jump if I'd just pressed the Y button. I still play Melee, and so I don't particularly like the idea of turning tap jump off. Perhaps I need to learn to be gentler on the stick? I use the C-Stick for DAirs, but having to cross my thumb over the C-Stick and come back to UAir feels sluggish.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
You mean you use your second jump immediatelyafter doing a first jump ?
Well I see 4 possible solutions :
-Turn tap jump off
-Use the Cstick, it feels hard in the beggining but you have more than enough time during the jumpsquat animation to move your thumb
-Work on your timing and input the up on the analog stick during the jumpsquat so that you only have to press A when you're airborne
-Claw and use your poiting finger to jump while you have your thumb on the Cstick. I personally use this technique and press X with the second phalanx of my pointing finger.

@ K Knux27 : I guess it's fine if you post here (at least it's better than creating a new thread lol) but there's a matchup thread where we might already have discussed the Sonic matchup. Anyway from my personal pov don't take it too seriously since it's online and the input delay screws you in matchups like Sonic. If you want to persist in playing this matchup online I recommend abusing Falcon Kick since it's way harder to react to it than offline.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
@ K Knux27 : I guess it's fine if you post here (at least it's better than creating a new thread lol) but there's a matchup thread where we might already have discussed the Sonic matchup. Anyway from my personal pov don't take it too seriously since it's online and the input delay screws you in matchups like Sonic. If you want to persist in playing this matchup online I recommend abusing Falcon Kick since it's way harder to react to it than offline.
Thanks for the reply, I probably should have looked closer for the mu thread, but I hoped this would have been good enough because it was a q&a thread. Anyway, thanks. I realized as soon as the fight started (and this was my 3rd match with him, we both changed fighters) that I had no idea how to fight a decent Sonic as Falcon.
Thanks again.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
My local weekly is testing a customs tournament in a few weeks. What customs do you all think I should be running and why?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Aside from dashing Falcon punch everything is up to your preference. I wouldn't switch to anything else because all of Falcon's specials are useful. I guess you could get lightning kick if you don't plan on using your down B as a killmove.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I've been playing against a really good Game&Watch for a while now. Does anyone have any tips on the MU?

That d-throw -> utilt -> utilt -> nair -> nair -> fair/bair combo gets me at 60%+ and I feel like I can't do anything to stop it once I get grabbed, haha.

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
That sounds fun. Is it like the Mario d-throw where you can just hold down DI and shield? Other than that, I've heard spacing is a huge G&W weakness since forevers. Try slowing the pace down periodically and getting in some stupid amount of tilts.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
I've recently started to pick up the Captain, and I was wondering how everyone feels he matches up against the characters that Top 16'd at Apex? I know Zero has said that he thinks :4falcon:may actually win the matchup with Diddy. How do you think he does against the chars currently dominating the meta, :4diddy::4sheik::4sonic::4zss::rosalina:?

Last edited:

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
I've recently started to pick up the Captain, and I was wondering how everyone feels he matches up against the characters that Top 16'd at Apex? I know Zero has said that he thinks :4falcon:may actually win the matchup with Diddy. How do you think he does against the chars currently dominating the meta, :4diddy::4sheik::4sonic::4zss::rosalina:?
Even, loses, loses, even, loses.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
When I play Falcon I have my control set so the C-Stick is tilts instead of smashes, thoughts? The smashes are used so rarely, and I have tap-to-jump turned on with Falcon (unlike most characters) so it helps me with his uptilt, and I find myself telegraphing dtilts by crouching maybe a full second before I intend to tilt, so I feel like this will help break me of that.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
When I play Falcon I have my control set so the C-Stick is tilts instead of smashes, thoughts? The smashes are used so rarely, and I have tap-to-jump turned on with Falcon (unlike most characters) so it helps me with his uptilt, and I find myself telegraphing dtilts by crouching maybe a full second before I intend to tilt, so I feel like this will help break me of that.
I've never used the c-stick for Smash attacks, so I also use it for tilts in 4. However, I would say that it's okay to use smash attacks in 4. Part of my meta is throwing out smash attacks when I technically shouldn't because it works 90% of the time. It feels like tilting is less consistent than in Melee though, so I prefer having the c-stick do that for me.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
I've never used the c-stick for Smash attacks, so I also use it for tilts in 4. However, I would say that it's okay to use smash attacks in 4. Part of my meta is throwing out smash attacks when I technically shouldn't because it works 90% of the time. It feels like tilting is less consistent than in Melee though, so I prefer having the c-stick do that for me.
The one thing I keep going back and forth on is the sliding upsmash/OOS upsmash. Falcon is the sliding-est character so even when I don't jump-cancel he maintains a lot of momentum even as he executes the upsmash. What's the difference in distance traveled between a JC sliding upsmash and just a regular sliding upsmash?

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
The one thing I keep going back and forth on is the sliding upsmash/OOS upsmash. Falcon is the sliding-est character so even when I don't jump-cancel he maintains a lot of momentum even as he executes the upsmash. What's the difference in distance traveled between a JC sliding upsmash and just a regular sliding upsmash?
I only use upsmash by accident so I don't really know.

OwenMaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
OwenMaster3DHD
3DS FC
0516-7651-4373
How do I go against a link as captain falcon? What moves should I use on him?

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
While i tested the difference on 3DS it was a huge difference. If i didn't do the Jumpcancelled Usmash and went for a normal sliding Usmash my momentum seem to stop completely.

I have never tested doing it with a C - stick though so i gotta see if that's different!

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
While i tested the difference on 3DS it was a huge difference. If i didn't do the Jumpcancelled Usmash and went for a normal sliding Usmash my momentum seem to stop completely.

I have never tested doing it with a C - stick though so i gotta see if that's different!
It's very seamless, because you can basically 'roll' your thumb across the button directly into the C Stick. You can get two inputs, sequenced, with one fluid motion.

Testing it on the Wii U, it seems to matter but is not some night/day difference like I'd heard some say, and even when I don't do it I'm impressed with how far he goes anyways.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
It's very seamless, because you can basically 'roll' your thumb across the button directly into the C Stick. You can get two inputs, sequenced, with one fluid motion.

Testing it on the Wii U, it seems to matter but is not some night/day difference like I'd heard some say, and even when I don't do it I'm impressed with how far he goes anyways.
Well i actually think JC Upsmash is done easier without the C stick as you can just run, press upwards and slide from X to A in a fast motion but it's just a matter of preference :) Interesting that the distance covered is roughly the same though.. wasnt aware of that.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Well after playing with some friends today, I realized I probably need to learn someone with a bit more power. I have been maiming Shiek but when our tournament (not the competitive rules) it has become clear I am not going do to well on levels where gimping isn't an option... and someone who can better handle 3 and 4 person games and the chaos that comes with it.

I'm thinking Captian Falcon may become one of my most played.

But if I am going to learn him I need to start with basics in 1 vs 1 games.

What are the bread and butter combos for him?

Who are the top players who I can study for tactics?

Thanks in advance all.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
How do I go against a link as captain falcon? What moves should I use on him?
Falcon's grab length helps here,
Well after playing with some friends today, I realized I probably need to learn someone with a bit more power. I have been maiming Shiek but when our tournament (not the competitive rules) it has become clear I am not going do to well on levels where gimping isn't an option... and someone who can better handle 3 and 4 person games and the chaos that comes with it.

I'm thinking Captian Falcon may become one of my most played.

But if I am going to learn him I need to start with basics in 1 vs 1 games.

What are the bread and butter combos for him?

Who are the top players who I can study for tactics?

Thanks in advance all.
Fatality is probably the best as far as available videos go.

Top Bottom