• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A FALCON ASK !! Q&A and FAQ

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
First things first, @ Humanity Humanity , do you have tap jump off? Do you use the c-stick for aerials?

If you do those things then all you need is practice. First, practice your short hops. Veeeeery light tap on your preferred jump button (I use X). Then, practice flicking the c-stick at just the right time (before landing, but not too late!). Then try doing THOSE after a fast-fall. Doesn't matter if it's after a full-hop or a short-hop. You need to practice your timing.

Humanity

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I hadn't thought of using c-stick aerials. How would one hold the controller to accommodate that? I can't imagine it'd be easy to go between the jump buttons and c-stick with one finger, but maybe that's just the voice of inexperience talking.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
What's the trick to stringing short-hop fast fall up aerials? Is it just the timing on the downward input? I've been trying to figure this move out for ages, but I always wind up with some combination of accidental forward airs, regular short-hop up airs sans the fast fall, and those infuriating jump-cancelled up smashes.
You can normally get two per set of jumps. So dash-grab, dthrow, short hop uair, short hop uair.

Unless you're talking about opening with it, you need to initiate the uair right before fast-falling.

moreside

Smash Cadet
What's the trick to stringing short-hop fast fall up aerials? Is it just the timing on the downward input? I've been trying to figure this move out for ages, but I always wind up with some combination of accidental forward airs, regular short-hop up airs sans the fast fall, and those infuriating jump-cancelled up smashes.
Flick up on the C stick at around the same time you hit down to fast fall. The move should come out just in time to hit grounded opponents.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Falcon kick is like an "auto punish rolls" move, it doesn't matter where they go, they'll get hit.

moreside

Smash Cadet
Is Captain falcon ever going to return? i mean in a new F-zero game?
"If we create a new type of controller interface, and we find a controller interface that's particularly suited for F-Zero, then maybe we'll do something with it in the future."
- Miyamoto in some interview

Falcon kick is like an "auto punish rolls" move, it doesn't matter where they go, they'll get hit.
Raptor Boost works well too, it's got the perfect range for punishing rolls. Baiting rolls and hitting them with it is how I get most of my kills.

Last edited:

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
So he wants to create an real F-zero experience? mmm sounds tough besides i enjoy games with simple controllers specially racing games

0mart

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mr.0mart
Best CF Stages? I personally feel neutral about almost every stage in the game... I´m not sure about which stage could be better for CF.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Best CF Stages?
In general, platforms are your friends! Since Falcon has no projectiles whatsoever, he's limited in his approaches compared to other characters, so having platforms to vary your approach can be essential.

However, some characters use platforms against Falcon even better than he does, so in those MUs you're better off using FD/Omega stages (or stages like Smashville, which only has one platform).

0mart

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mr.0mart
other than ZSS and (maybe) Mario for me... I dont have a vast amount of Matchup knowledge of the roster in general but those are matches that I feel that they can use a good use of the platform being comboing or just trying to land from a juggling.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
What's a great way to counter people spamming rolls when using Falcon?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Tech_Chase here. I co main Falcon with Pikachu. Quick question for anyone who knows:

I've got this rivalry going on with a Luigi player in our scene. I've won the last few sets but the one yesterday was scary; last hit. Game 3. My biggest issue is approaching against Fireball. I know what to do once I get in but actually getting to a good spot in the neutral game is HARD. And Luigi does an insane amount of damage off a grab or any mistake I make. Any tips? I'll probably end up playing him again today. Any advice on this MU would be mad appreciated!

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Perfect shield bro. Luigi's fireball is one of the easiest projectiles to PS, so get the timing, then get the timing for Dash>PS>dash or Dash>PS>Ftilt and you'll be wrecking faces.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
So yesterday I went against my first really good captain falcon player, and I had absolutely no idea how to beat him. What are some of the weaknesses of our noble captain?

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Why is captain falcon not so popular in Japan?
Because Japan? Heck if I know, lol, I thought he WAS popular over there! I guess it's just a lot more popular over here, because lol falcon punch
Raptor Boost's got you covered! If they're not in KO percent, try Falcon Kicking once in a while.

So yesterday I went against my first really good captain falcon player, and I had absolutely no idea how to beat him. What are some of the weaknesses of our noble captain?
His recovery is lacking. If you get him offstage, try to gimp him as hard as you can. Also, obviously, he has no projectiles, which makes his gameplay in flat stages a bit worse than projectile characters.
Are their any good set ups for falcon punch?
dThrow is your friend! Also fThrow -> dash attack.

ZTD | TECHnology

Falcon Kick with Rage is also a real solid way to deter rolls because that **** kills. I've gotten some kills as early as 120%. Against characters that have slower ground speed or lack a move that allows them to travel horizontally quickly, its relatively safe when used correctly.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Just take some time to get their rolling habits down. They'll usually be predictable, like rolling away from you, and then rolling behind you when you rush them. If you can pivot, pivot into a grab combo to really mess them up. If not, you can pivot dash attack to hit them before they can roll again, typically. At kill percents, raptor boost will make them regret rolling, and falcon kick will launch them enough for you to combo them.

Assuming you're talking about For Glory, this stuff will almost always work. People on FG learn from each other, so all roll-spammers are essentially the same.

Tech_Chase here. I co main Falcon with Pikachu. Quick question for anyone who knows:

I've got this rivalry going on with a Luigi player in our scene. I've won the last few sets but the one yesterday was scary; last hit. Game 3. My biggest issue is approaching against Fireball. I know what to do once I get in but actually getting to a good spot in the neutral game is HARD. And Luigi does an insane amount of damage off a grab or any mistake I make. Any tips? I'll probably end up playing him again today. Any advice on this MU would be mad appreciated!
It hurts to say, but try playing more defensively than he does. Weegee is good, but he isn't a rushdown character like Falcon is. He's probably figured out that he just has to spam fireballs and you, being a Falcon player, will either use your main advantage and rush, or will get impatient and rush. This benefits the weegee. Weegee's short fireball range doesn't work if you just stay out of it and make him realize he can't get hits that way. Strike small stages so you have room to run around, and he has less room to make you rush at him.

We have no weaknesses.

ZTD | TECHnology

I ended up playing that Luigi player and lost. It was pretty close but my issue was letting him corner me and reduce my ability to effectively use my dash speed. After losing to me last set because I CP'ed Duck Hunt (SUCH a good stage for us), he banned all the big stages. The advice Telu gave me helped a lot but he adapted. I know exactly what I need to work on though. Considering he won yesterday's event, I'm not at all mad about the loss. Just more motivated.

Playing defensive and opportunistic is a must in certain MUs like this. It feels counter-intuitive at first glance to play defensive/campy but terrific mobility is just as great as a defensive tool as it is an offensive one. My state has a CRAP LOAD of Falcons but mine stands apart based on the fact that I will just wait and slow things down if I have to. The problem with over aggression isn't just about precision and predictability. It's also because you just burn yourself out faster mentally if you're constantly trying to force your way in. Sometimes it helps if you slow things down. You'd be surprised what you can see in your opponent. People are afraid of Falcon. No one wants to get grabbed by us. Remember that ;)

JCav

Smash Lord
Yoooo Tech lol. I keep getting bodied by Pika at tournaments, anyone have any general advice or gimmicks?

Cross.

Smash Ace
Don't have the game and only play it weekly in tournaments. Got a few questions:
1. How exactly do you gentleman? I find myself getting the multiple hit Jab when I don't want to.
2. Is it possible to auto cancel Dair like in brawl? I tried it a few times last week and it didn't work.
3. How exactly am I supposed to approach short characters like Pikachu? Nair and Bair are what I've been using mainly for "poking" in neutral and they both completely wiff on him. I pretty much only won because my opponent was terrible.
4. Any tips for handling Sheik? Couldn't get through her high priority buttons at all.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Don't have the game and only play it weekly in tournaments. Got a few questions:
1. How exactly do you gentleman? I find myself getting the multiple hit Jab when I don't want to.
2. Is it possible to auto cancel Dair like in brawl? I tried it a few times last week and it didn't work.
3. How exactly am I supposed to approach short characters like Pikachu? Nair and Bair are what I've been using mainly for "poking" in neutral and they both completely wiff on him. I pretty much only won because my opponent was terrible.
4. Any tips for handling Sheik? Couldn't get through her high priority buttons at all.
1. Supposedly it's the amount of inputs, but sometimes I get the array of punches regardless of my inputs as well, especially online.

2. I'm not sure.

3. If they're aggressive, let them approach and take advantage of that. Otherwise, mind games. I wouldn't really advise trying to approach with aerials too much, though.

4. Spacing. Her Fair comes out incredibly quickly, but your Nair has longer reach. It'll be difficult, but shorter combos work better since she comes out of hitstun seemingly fast and can easily reverse your momentum if she sneaks a Fair in (which will happen often with improper spacing).

Mainly, just tack on damage when possible.

I'm of the opinion that with this game, maining Captain Falcon isn't enough to win. You'll often come across MUs that are so difficult that bringing out a counter-pick character is easier than fighting the uphill battle. Mario and Mega Man come to mind.

Lanzoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lanzoma
3DS FC
3024-6365-7774
Hold A to have gentleman come out always.

Short characters are annoying as hell, you'll have to change your approach to use tilts more and ensure your dash attack / dash grab doesn't come when their hurtboxes are so low that you'll whiff. Also, FF'd n-air does hit short characters (as well as b-air), but the window gets tighter the shorter the hurtbox is.

Last edited:

Cross.

Smash Ace
1. Supposedly it's the amount of inputs, but sometimes I get the array of punches regardless of my inputs as well, especially online.

2. I'm not sure.

3. If they're aggressive, let them approach and take advantage of that. Otherwise, mind games. I wouldn't really advise trying to approach with aerials too much, though.

4. Spacing. Her Fair comes out incredibly quickly, but your Nair has longer reach. It'll be difficult, but shorter combos work better since she comes out of hitstun seemingly fast and can easily reverse your momentum if she sneaks a Fair in (which will happen often with improper spacing).

Mainly, just tack on damage when possible.

I'm of the opinion that with this game, maining Captain Falcon isn't enough to win. You'll often come across MUs that are so difficult that bringing out a counter-pick character is easier than fighting the uphill battle. Mario and Mega Man come to mind.
Thanks for the response. About Sheik, I tried to play the spacing game but she seems to control space so incredibly well with her mobility that it didn't really work out. She reminds me a bit of melee Fox in that respect.

I would switch to Sheik or Diddy full time before taking up a secondary for counter picks but for now I'm gonna stay with falcon. Anyone else feel like he can't compete?

Hold A to have gentleman come out always.

Short characters are annoying as hell, you'll have to change your approach to use tilts more and ensure your dash attack / dash grab doesn't come when their hurtboxes are so low that you'll whiff. Also, FF'd n-air does hit short characters (as well as b-air), but the window gets tighter the shorter the hurtbox is.
Thanks for the gentelman tip, that's pretty useful to know. Using the tilts for the short guys makes a lot of sense, I was using Ftilt more last weekend and it's a pretty good move in neutral overall imo.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Stay on the ground against shorties, you can poke them with Dtilt and Ftilt and can punish things they think are safe with falcon kick or dash attack/grab.

I feel like Falcon can compete, it's not because some characters are hard to deal with that the matchups are straight unwinnable. Moreover, he holds his own quite well against Diddy.

Cross.

Smash Ace
^Yeah I've been realizing Dtilt is pretty good and I really under utilize it.

I feel the same way right now. Some matchups might be more difficult but I can see him having decent matches against the top tier.

ZTD | TECHnology

Falcon has certainly excel in tournament if the player knows how to control the pace of the battle. Its critically important that you know how to maximize your punishes when you have the momentum and its also important to recognize when you may be forcing things and to back off and reset the situation. Calculated, calm, aggression is how you win. The only MUs I really have issues with is Sheik, Mario and Megaman.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Falcon has certainly excel in tournament if the player knows how to control the pace of the battle. Its critically important that you know how to maximize your punishes when you have the momentum and its also important to recognize when you may be forcing things and to back off and reset the situation. Calculated, calm, aggression is how you win. The only MUs I really have issues with is Sheik, Mario and Megaman.
100% agree, and this is basically what I said, minus Sheik. It's a very difficult MU, but I still think it's a bit more even than Mario and Mega Man. Both have great spacing, strong throws, and can easily gimp Falcon's recovery. Sheik is just quick.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Sup Falcons, now that I'm finally giving a bit more attention to Falcon than besides Shulk & Lucario, I have just one question atm:
  • What situations would using Falcon Dive's command grab be beneficial for gimping someone's stock as they're recovering?
Sometimes I've used Falcon Dive off-stage in an edge-guard manner. Other times I use it for my last breath of life to use another FD or RB to get to the ledge. However, there were times I've tried using the Falcon Dive grab to gimp someone but instead the grab-release ruins my stock. So thoughts?

Last edited:

moreside

Smash Cadet
Sup Falcons, now that I'm finally giving a bit more attention to Falcon than besides Shulk & Lucario, I have just one question atm:
  • What situations would using Falcon Dive's command grab be beneficial for gimping someone's stock as they're recovering?
Sometimes I've used Falcon Dive off-stage in an edge-guard manner. Other times I use it for my last breath of life to use another FD or RB to get to the ledge. However, there were times I've tried using the Falcon Dive grab to gimp someone but instead the grab-release ruins my stock. So thoughts?
It's a bad edgeguard - it takes too long to set up, is punishable, and is really easy to tech. Just use back air, it's way better for edgeguarding. That being said, if you're looking to use the move for things other than recovery, it's a solid mixup for when people just hide in shield above you on a platform.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
It's a bad edgeguard - it takes too long to set up, is punishable, and is really easy to tech. Just use back air, it's way better for edgeguarding. That being said, if you're looking to use the move for things other than recovery, it's a solid mixup for when people just hide in shield above you on a platform.
Normally I would agree with you on that it is a bad edgeguarding move. However I'm not using Falcon Dive's command grab in a manner that would allow them to bounce off a wall or lip & tech off of it.

I'm talking about using Falcon Dive's grab to interrupt a character's Up-B option, such as Shulk's 2nd hit from Air Slash. The Air Slash's 2nd hit at very close range to my Falcon Dive grab canceled the command grab due to no super armor, but Shulk was still affected & was unable to recover back because of the weird grab-release angle.

EDIT: I'll provide a video of it if you want

Last edited:

moreside

Smash Cadet
Normally I would agree with you on that it is a bad edgeguarding move. However I'm not using Falcon Dive's command grab in a manner that would allow them to bounce off a wall or lip & tech off of it.

I'm talking about using Falcon Dive's grab to interrupt a character's Up-B option, such as Shulk's 2nd hit from Air Slash. The Air Slash's 2nd hit at very close range to my Falcon Dive grab canceled the command grab due to no super armor, but Shulk was still affected & was unable to recover back because of the weird grab-release angle.

EDIT: I'll provide a video of it if you want
Yeah a video would be cool, this actually sounds pretty neat.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Yeah a video would be cool, this actually sounds pretty neat.
Right on, I'll record just the clip so that you don't have to watch 3 minutes of video. This post will be edited to include the video, & sorry for the below-decent quality in advance.

EDIT: Here it is, I also apologize for no sound. Skip to 0:25 for the Falcon Dive grab-release moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnCvPQ1xppQ
or

Last edited:

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Right on, I'll record just the clip so that you don't have to watch 3 minutes of video. This post will be edited to include the video, & sorry for the below-decent quality in advance.

EDIT: Here it is, I also apologize for no sound. Skip to 0:25 for the Falcon Dive grab-release moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnCvPQ1xppQ
or
Yeah, there's really no reason for Falcon to go off-stage like that. There are better, safer options that are just as satisfying to pull off.

Top Bottom